New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power IV: Constantly Expanded Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, yeah.
    And those options are what I am imagining in place of the blur.
    I admit I'm having a hard time imagining a verb there that this strip has a problem with using liberally.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I admit I'm having a hard time imagining a verb there that this strip has a problem with using liberally.
    According to the commentary, it's an in-universe thing. So, for the sake of comedy, not actual censoring.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2018-09-13 at 01:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303

Dave is right that you pretty much have to have a Dabbler appearance in #666.

Also, was I the only one expecting a "Dun, Dun, DUUNNN" at the end there?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Dave is right that you pretty much have to have a Dabbler appearance in #666.

Also, was I the only one expecting a "Dun, Dun, DUUNNN" at the end there?
    Bit late for that. Sydney already did what Xuriel thought she wouldn't.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #305

Yeah, the last panel should've been a silent beat as we see everyone realize that is exactly what Sydney is going to do.

Of course, that means the next update would be a full page image of Max in full screaming fury as everyone else sprints for cover.

Also, did Max just give Dabbler backhanded permission to F### Jabberwocky's brains out?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Also, did Max just give Dabbler backhanded permission to F### Jabberwocky's brains out?
    I think its more that she withdrew a direct order on not doing so.
    Also, i honestly think its the right decision.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #307

So yes, backhanded. "I'm not saying you can, I'm not saying you can't."

8. - Top - End - #308

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah. That moment. That wonderfully terrifying moment.
    Every gamer knows it, but now Sydney gets to live it.
    Those poor fools really should have sent more of those mechs...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

10. - Top - End - #310
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Ah. That moment. That wonderfully terrifying moment.
    Every gamer knows it, but now Sydney gets to live it.
    Those poor fools really should have sent more of those mechs...
    Time to do a lot of dark souls style bobbing and weaving sydney. You can teleport inside the shield, blast a few solid times then get out of the way of the other (or better, teleport behind the other and repeat) Because im assuming it wont be as simple as last time. Figure out the movement pattern quickly as you used your last continue awhile ago.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #311

Ok sydney, you got this. Drop flight orb, pick up tele orb and start blink blasting everywhere. Now you know at least one new technique they have so you cant stay still long enough to be pinned by the tractor beam again. Not sure how fast you can move locations but lets hope its fast enough.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #312

Given the width of the tractor beam, I'm pretty sure the lightbee would get caught in it as well. Better to just blast the point source of the beam, and then haul ass when it blinks.

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Given the width of the tractor beam, I'm pretty sure the lightbee would get caught in it as well. Better to just blast the point source of the beam, and then haul ass when it blinks.
    We dont know if the light bee even has mass to be halted by a tractor beam. For all we know its basically a fancy laser pointer you can teleport to where its pointing. I still think port blasting would be the best option, again if its fast enough, but blasting the tractor eye might work as well, though it still leaves a window of opportunity to get overwhelmed by several big booms at once.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

I almost think its safer to try the Light Bee.
    She can fire though her own shield. She dont know if this thing can fire though its own shield as well.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I almost think its safer to try the Light Bee.
    She can fire though her own shield. She dont know if this thing can fire though its own shield as well.
    Actually, if you look, the blasts from the PPO start outside the shield.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, if you look, the blasts from the PPO start outside the shield.
    If you look, the Orb remains inside the shield.
    Meaning, she can indeed fire though her own shield.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

If you look, the Orb remains inside the shield.
    Meaning, she can indeed fire though her own shield.
    She can fire without having to take her shields down to do it. That's as good, if not the same. I remember a similar thing in Blake's 7.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    She can fire without having to take her shields down to do it. That's as good, if not the same. I remember a similar thing in Blake's 7.
    Yeah, it's similar, but with the beam appearing outside the shield, it means she can't actually shoot anyone inside (not that that'd probably be a safe thing to do anyways).

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

No..
    That the Orb shoots the beam is a fact.
    That she can affect a target on the opposite side of her shield is also a fact.
    It means she can indeed fire though her shield.

That apart of the beam is either invisible, or phased, does not affect that.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Bugbear in the Playground

No..

When the shield is up, the shield is the orb. The light-hook and the PPO are both incapable of extending (or withdrawing) their function to within the confines of the shield. So no. The PPO generates the beam, but the beam is not fired from the PPO as long as the shield is up.

The alternative is that the shield actually opens up to let PPO fire through, which would mean Very Bad Things for the user, especially in space.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

No..

That would mean that the beam passes through her fingers, without damaging them. That seems silly to me, it's a very powerful beam.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #322

Just like how sydney couldnt use her lighthook on vehemence inside her shield, she cant blast something inside it either. Its some sort of security function most likely, to avoid hurting yourself or anything else being protected. The beam does not shoot invisibly from her ppo then penetrate the shield, it is launched from outside the shield (or possible from the shield wall itself) We just saw her shield is not permeable from the inside as shrapnel bounced around in it and nearly critically injured her.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

When the shield is up, the shield is the orb. The light-hook and the PPO are both incapable of extending (or withdrawing) their function to within the confines of the shield. So no. The PPO generates the beam, but the beam is not fired from the PPO as long as the shield is up.

The alternative is that the shield actually opens up to let PPO fire through, which would mean Very Bad Things for the user, especially in space.
    Sorry, but there is nothing so far to support the theory that the Shield becomes the orb.
    The alternative is not that the shield opens up, but that the initial phase of the beam can pass though. Just like light can do.
    And just like holding a magnifying glass in your hand a sunny day wont do anything. But holding it the right amount of centimeters above will give you a nasty burn.

That would mean that the beam passes through her fingers, without damaging them. That seems silly to me, it's a very powerful beam.
    Its less silly than a orb the size of a tennis ball contains more energy than a nuklear reactor (or close to).
    Also, see above explanation regarding sunlight and focusing.

Just like how sydney couldnt use her lighthook on vehemence inside her shield, she cant blast something inside it either. Its some sort of security function most likely, to avoid hurting yourself or anything else being protected. The beam does not shoot invisibly from her ppo then penetrate the shield, it is launched from outside the shield (or possible from the shield wall itself) We just saw her shield is not permeable from the inside as shrapnel bounced around in it and nearly critically injured her.
    Yes, the orb likely does have a basic security function designed to avoid hurting the user.
    But we know the beam is launched from the Orb, since it has been used without the shield orb.
    So when you can still shoot the orb despite the shield being in the way. Then the beam does indeed shoot though the shield.
    It already likely shoot a few inches invisible to avoid cooking her fingers. Clearly that distance is then extended to get past the shield as well.
    Also, se above explanation regarding sunlight and focusing.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So you think its more likely that the blasts magically know where Halo's fingers are AND where the shield is, and know to phase through them, but cant do so for enemy shields, than that they just appear outside the shield?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #325

Sorry, but there is nothing so far to support the theory that the Shield becomes the orb.
    The alternative is not that the shield opens up, but that the initial phase of the beam can pass though. Just like light can do.
    And just like holding a magnifying glass in your hand a sunny day wont do anything. But holding it the right amount of centimeters above will give you a nasty burn.

Its less silly than a orb the size of a tennis ball contains more energy than a nuklear reactor (or close to).
    Also, see above explanation regarding sunlight and focusing.

Yes, the orb likely does have a basic security function designed to avoid hurting the user.
    But we know the beam is launched from the Orb, since it has been used without the shield orb.
    So when you can still shoot the orb despite the shield being in the way. Then the beam does indeed shoot though the shield.
    It already likely shoot a few inches invisible to avoid cooking her fingers. Clearly that distance is then extended to get past the shield as well.
    Also, se above explanation regarding sunlight and focusing.

No, we dont see the lighthook come from the orb when the shield isnt up. When the shield IS up, the lighthook appears outside the shield only. Its the same for the ppo. Does not fire from inside the shield. Here, you can clearly see the targeting ring appear not just on the outside of the shield but floating in front of it completely. Even in this one you can see it doesnt come directly out of the orb but from a targeting circle a short distance in front of it. No shield either. And im not sure why you think the beam would start invisible then turn visible while also being unable to harm sydney for the first few inches. That seems overly complicated compared to "It spawns its beam a set distance away from the orb or the outside of the shield" Since we already see it do exactly that for the lighthook even without the shield being up.
    Last edited by Traab; 2018-09-22 at 12:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

No..

This is a very silly argument, but I'll join anyways.

The difference is that saying she can shoot through her shield implies that she can fire inside it. And she very much can't. It doesn't matter if there is an invisible targeting portion that starts from her hand. For all intents and purposes, the beam, the destructive part we actually care about, starts on the outside side of the shield.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

So you think its more likely that the blasts magically know where Halo's fingers are AND where the shield is, and know to phase through them, but cant do so for enemy shields, than that they just appear outside the shield?
    You think its more likely that the blast magically appear out of thin air, just as Halo picks up the orb..?
    Because when the blast originates from the orb, and hits a target on the other side of the shield.
    Then she has shoot THOUGH the shield. Its litterally in the language.

No, we dont see the lighthook come from the orb when the shield isnt up. When the shield IS up, the lighthook appears outside the shield only. Its the same for the ppo. Does not fire from inside the shield. Here, you can clearly see the targeting ring appear not just on the outside of the shield but floating in front of it completely. Even in this one you can see it doesnt come directly out of the orb but from a targeting circle a short distance in front of it. No shield either. And im not sure why you think the beam would start invisible then turn visible while also being unable to harm sydney for the first few inches. That seems overly complicated compared to "It spawns its beam a set distance away from the orb or the outside of the shield" Since we already see it do exactly that for the lighthook even without the shield being up.
    This directly supports the point im trying to explain to you. You can see a direct connection between the start of the beam, and the location of the beam. It is extremely clear that the location of the beam start correspond to the location of the beam.
    And yes its a much more complicated explanation. Thats because it actually try to explain something. Yes its very clear that the beam starts a minor distance from the orb. But it still originates from the orb. How does it skip the set distance from the orb? Magic?
    Because it does as such not matter how the orb actually skips the distance containing the shield. It does. And that means Sydney CAN fire though the dam thing, and hit something on the opposite side.

This is a very silly argument, but I'll join anyways.

The difference is that saying she can shoot through her shield implies that she can fire inside it. And she very much can't. It doesn't matter if there is an invisible targeting portion that starts from her hand. For all intents and purposes, the beam, the destructive part we actually care about, starts on the outside side of the shield.
    Perhaps a bit.

And actually no. We dont know if you can fire it inside of the shield. We know Sydney cant do it because there are likely a few safety features on the orb to guard the user from stupidity.
    Also the only reason for why someone would only care about the visible part of the beam, is if they wanted to make the argument it does not pass though the shield.

Thats of course impossible. When the Beam originates from the orb then there are only 2 options.
    a) It cant pass though the shield. Thats very unlucky for the user.
    b) It can pass though the shield. Either by phasing though reality. By folding space. Or whatever else technobable that explains how the shoot starts a few inches to a feet from the weapon.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Bugbear in the Playground

-snip-
    I'm going to forward a motion. Hear me out a bit.

The Orbs function as a single entity with their wielder.

When Sydney grabs the flight orb, Sydney gains flight. She does not grab onto the flying orb and pull herself around.
    When Sydney grabs the shield orb, a protective rotation-body of force appears centered on Sydney, it does not stay attached to the orb.
    When Sydney grabs the comm-ball, Sydney gains extra senses. There's no window attached to the comm-ball that has to be looked through.

Even when Sydney grabs the light-hook, the hardlight pseudopod that appears is not attached to the orb, and even a monstrously powerful villain pulling on it cannot pull the orb free of her hand.

These orbs, give Sydney abilities. Or 'powers'. They're not a flightpack, a shield generator, a sensor package, or a blaster. They're control interfaces for the sum total of the "power orbs" and the abilities they give their owner.

So the PPO does not generate an explodey laser beam. It just acts as a focus and an interface to the "offensive" powers of the package. And when used in conjunction with the shield, the sum total of the package and the owner is what generates the beam, and where the beam originates and where it is aimed is dictated by the same. Whether or not the PPO could theoretically focus the beam within the shield is not the point. Maybe it's a later upgrade. But the fact is, as of right now in the comic, when the PPO is used in conjunction with the shield, the origin point of the beam it allows its wielder to generate, is always on the outside of the shield.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

29. - Top - End - #329

You think its more likely that the blast magically appear out of thin air, just as Halo picks up the orb..?
    Because when the blast originates from the orb, and hits a target on the other side of the shield.
    Then she has shoot THOUGH the shield. Its litterally in the language.

This directly supports the point im trying to explain to you. You can see a direct connection between the start of the beam, and the location of the beam. It is extremely clear that the location of the beam start correspond to the location of the beam.
    And yes its a much more complicated explanation. Thats because it actually try to explain something. Yes its very clear that the beam starts a minor distance from the orb. But it still originates from the orb. How does it skip the set distance from the orb? Magic?
    Because it does as such not matter how the orb actually skips the distance containing the shield. It does. And that means Sydney CAN fire though the dam thing, and hit something on the opposite side.

Perhaps a bit.

And actually no. We dont know if you can fire it inside of the shield. We know Sydney cant do it because there are likely a few safety features on the orb to guard the user from stupidity.
    Also the only reason for why someone would only care about the visible part of the beam, is if they wanted to make the argument it does not pass though the shield.

Thats of course impossible. When the Beam originates from the orb then there are only 2 options.
    a) It cant pass though the shield. Thats very unlucky for the user.
    b) It can pass though the shield. Either by phasing though reality. By folding space. Or whatever else technobable that explains how the shoot starts a few inches to a feet from the weapon.
    Im afraid trying to use logic to decide how they work is of limited value since floating orbs rarely display logic with their death beams. We can only observe how they work, or if it happens later we get an explanation, rely on WoG. As of right now, observation shows that any orb that creates something, be it a beam of energy, or an energy pseudopod, it does not directly emanate from inside the orb or on its surface. Whatever its creating and however it does it, it does so a set distance from either the orb itself, or from the shields surface if it should be in use. Trying to declare that it produces the energy directly from the orb but somehow is invisible and harmless until it reaches a certain distance away has nothing in comic to back it up. Its far more logical and reasonable to assume they are, programmed, for lack of a better word, to appear at a safe distance from the user or just outside the shield since they presumably cant penetrate it.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, she went with the Lightbee and then the PPO at point blank range. To the eye. Ouch.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!