New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1521
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q496 I think this may have been asked before, in which case please feel free to direct me, but: if I am an Eldritch Knight 3/Wizard 2, then I have spell slots as a 3rd level spellcaster, i.e. level 2 slots - but no level 2 spells known. As a Wizard, can I nevertheless scribe a 2nd level spell into my spellbook, if I can access such a spell?
    A496 No. You can only scribe spells into your spellbook for spell levels which you can learn spells for. So as a 2nd level wizard that's 1st level spells as you said, but upcastable to 2nd level, since you are a third level caster.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q497 Can temporary increases to ability scores, such as those from ioun stones, satisfy multiclass requirements? (Let's say a fighter with 12 CHA normally and an Ioun Stone of Leadership wants to multiclass to warlock.)

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Pixie in the Playground

Q498 - Method of getting to the physically smallest size - Race/Class/Feat/Spell/Item - Permanent or at minimum 1hr/day. Bonus question for <1hr/day use but that is secondary and not really needed.
    Last edited by bob_says_hello; 2020-03-23 at 09:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A498 Theoretically, as small as you want. One way to go about this would be to start as 24+epsilon inches tall. The Wild Magic table sometimes (see 35-36 on the table) decreases your height by an odd number of inches (this happens around 1 in 2000 non-cantrips). With lucky enough rolls, you could by chance end up epsilon inches tall for any arbitrarily small epsilon. This is permanent (note that a Remove Curse cannot remove this like it can the blue-skin syndrome).

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantiumBhuka View Post
    A498 Theoretically, as small as you want. One way to go about this would be to start as 24+epsilon inches tall. The Wild Magic table sometimes (see 35-36 on the table) decreases your height by an odd number of inches (this happens around 1 in 2000 non-cantrips). With lucky enough rolls, you could by chance end up epsilon inches tall for any arbitrarily small epsilon. This is permanent (note that a Remove Curse cannot remove this like it can the blue-skin syndrome).
    R498 - The problem with relying on the wild magic is it's both an increase and decrease. So the net sum should be no gain/loss in size. Since it also defines a d10 to be rolled it's not subjected to any modifications or any other defined abilities that can be modified.
    Any other options?

6. - Top - End - #1416

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bob_says_hello View Post
    R498 - The problem with relying on the wild magic is it's both an increase and decrease. So the net sum should be no gain/loss in size. Since it also defines a d10 to be rolled it's not subjected to any modifications or any other defined abilities that can be modified.
    Any other options?
    This is really more of an advice question, not a RAW one. I would recommend asking again in a separate thread and simply making it clear that you only want RAW options. You'll get better responses and keep this thread clear for single concise RAW questions.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q499:

MC Caster - spell slots and spells known

If you MC Cleric and/or Druid, because these classes prep spells every day ("The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots"), if you have a 3rd lvl spell slot, then you can prep a 3rd lvl spell from those classes, so a cleric 2/druid 3 can prep 3rd lvl cleric and druid spells, right?

So even a 1 lvl cleric dip could yield spiritual weapon and spirit guardians to a Druid X or other full caster, right?

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

A499

No. In the Multiclassing rules it says (emphasis mine):
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class.

Powers &8^]

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bob_says_hello View Post
    Any other options?
    Since you lose an inch on odd rolls (1,3,5,7,9) and gain an inch on even rolls (2,4,6,8,10), on average you'll keep gaining an inch over time.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

Lose as often as you gain does not mean gain on average over time.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by spankherbooty View Post
    Since you lose an inch on odd rolls (1,3,5,7,9) and gain an inch on even rolls (2,4,6,8,10), on average you'll keep gaining an inch over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Lose as often as you gain does not mean gain on average over time.
    Do the math Chronos. Add up all of the negatives (1+3+5+7+9=25) and the positives (2+4+6+8+10=30). They're not even. Over many MANY rolls, you get more height than you lose.

Group them together into pairs if that makes more sense
    (-1 + 2 = 1)
    (-3 + 4 = 1)
    etc.

On average, you'll gain 1 inch per "roll" in the long term. Of course you can get totally screwed (that's how probability works), but on average, long term, you gain.

12. - Top - End - #1422

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
    Do the math Chronos. Add up all of the negatives (1+3+5+7+9=25) and the positives (2+4+6+8+10=30). They're not even. Over many MANY rolls, you get more height than you lose.

Group them together into pairs if that makes more sense
    (-1 + 2 = 1)
    (-3 + 4 = 1)
    etc.

On average, you'll gain 1 inch per "roll" in the long term. Of course you can get totally screwed (that's how probability works), but on average, long term, you gain.
    Wouldn't it be 1/2 inch on average per roll? If you rolled ten times and got the improbable, but average, result of one of each possible number that would give you a net gain of 5 inches over 10 rolls. So 1/2 inch gain per roll on average.

13. - Top - End - #1423

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    Wouldn't it be 1/2 inch on average per roll? If you rolled ten times and got the improbable, but average, result of one of each possible number that would give you a net gain of 5 inches over 10 rolls. So 1/2 inch gain per roll on average.
    Absolutely. Thanks for fixing my error.

14. - Top - End - #1424

Q499 If an echo knight sends its echo into magical darkness and uses it to attack a visible enemy outside of the darkness, is the attack made with advantage for being unseen?

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

15. - Top - End - #1425

Goblin

Q500 Two party members each have a different class feature that state "has disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you until the start of your next turn." If a monster has multiple attacks and attacks both of them, does it still suffer disadvantage?

Wooo #500
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Q500 Two party members each have a different class feature that state "has disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you until the start of your next turn." If a monster has multiple attacks and attacks both of them, does it still suffer disadvantage?

Wooo #500
    A500. Yes. If say, one PC is a Fighter who's used Goading Attack and another PC is a Paladin who's cast Compelled Duel, then an attack roll against the fighter has disadvantage because it's an attack against a target other than the paladin, and an attack roll against the paladin had disadvantage because it's an attack against a target other than the fighter.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2020-04-01 at 12:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

Q501

Do I need to speak a language the elementals understand in order for them to be able to obey my spoken commands using Conjure Minor Elementals?

18. - Top - End - #1428

SolithKnightGuy

Q501

Do I need to speak a language the elementals understand in order for them to be able to obey my spoken commands using Conjure Minor Elementals?
    A 501
    No, you do not need to share a language. The spell description says they follow your verbal commands. Just that you can give commands verbally and they will follow them.
    Last edited by Galithar; 2020-04-01 at 08:05 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q502 I sneak attack, Myturn is over. my enemy moves away from me that same round. I opp him. Do I get my sneak attack again that round?

20. - Top - End - #1430

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q502 I sneak attack, Myturn is over. my enemy moves away from me that same round. I opp him. Do I get my sneak attack again that round?
    A502 YES! Sneak attack is allowed "once per turn" which means if you use your reaction to make an attack on someone else's turn, as long as you satisfy the requirements for a sneak attack, you get to sneak attack again!

Edit: Note the difference is because they are allowed per "turn" and not per "round". Other abilities follow similar but specify YOUR turn. The Clerics that get Divine Strike at level 8 are allowed that extra d8 once per turn as well for example but it also says it's on "your turn" not just "once per turn"
    Last edited by Galithar; 2020-04-02 at 11:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q 503 my warlock gets a quasit (from find familiar). Can I have the quasit bond with me, like it says in the MM?

22. - Top - End - #1432

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q 503 my warlock gets a quasit (from find familiar). Can I have the quasit bond with me, like it says in the MM?
    A 503

The variant familiar options in the books are not from the Find Familiar spell (except the ones that explicitly say they are an option for the spell The Quasit variant does not). They are options geared towards NPCs and available to players at DM discretion. If you DO get one of those variant types you still have to find and make a deal with the actual creature, not a spirit summoned by the spell. Whether your DM allows you to get the variant or not, it still wouldn't be coming from your Pact and Spell, but from a deal made with the creature, who can choose to leave at any time.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 504
    When an imp takes a form resembling a raven, rat, or centipede, is it meant to be distinguishable from a normal one of those creatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q505:

When attacking with ADV from HIDE or HELP, if you have multi-attack you only benefit from ADV on the first attack right? (because your first attack gives away your position removing your surprise or the HELP distraction is over)

But what if your attack is to cast a spell like Eldritch Blast that sends multiple beams simultaneously?

If you are a Gloomstalker in the darkness and are therefore invisible, do you only get ADV on your first attack only or both because you remain unseen (invisible)?

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

Q506

If I use a spell focus instead of the material components of a spell, can I still use the same hand holding the focus to perform somatic components?

26. - Top - End - #1436

GnomeWizardGuy

Q506

If I use a spell focus instead of the material components of a spell, can I still use the same hand holding the focus to perform somatic components?
    A506 - You're 100% fine. P.203 in the PHB:
    A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell.
    A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.
    ie: you can do the somatic components with the focus as well.

27. - Top - End - #1437

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Q505:

When attacking with ADV from HIDE or HELP, if you have multi-attack you only benefit from ADV on the first attack right? (because your first attack gives away your position removing your surprise or the HELP distraction is over)

But what if your attack is to cast a spell like Eldritch Blast that sends multiple beams simultaneously?
    A505: From the Help action section of the PHB on page 192:
    Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally's attack more effective. If your ally attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack roll is made with advantage.
    Emphasis mine, only the first roll, doesn't matter if "simultaneous" or not. This applies both to Eldritch Blast and multi-attack, extra attack, or whatever.

If you are a Gloomstalker in the darkness and are therefore invisible, do you only get ADV on your first attack only or both because you remain unseen (invisible)?
    This is kind of separate, but you'll be glad to know that RAW you get it on ALL attacks for this one:
    UMBRAL SIGHT
    At 3rd level, you gain darkvision out to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision from your race, its range increases by 30 feet.

You are also adept at evading creatures that rely on darkvision. While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.
    You are effectively invisible to anybody without darkvision, OK. And now you're invisible to those WITH it too. And that doesn't break on damage. In the section on vision (PHB 183) it says this:
    A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition
    So if you're not blinded because of darkvision (which you have, Umbral Sight ability), it's lightly obscured (dim light) to you, heavily obscured to them. So they're blind to you, completely, even with regular darkvision because of the "Unseen Attackers and Targets" section in the PHB 194-195
    When you attack a target that you can't see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you're guessing the target's location or you're targeting a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn't in the location you targeted, you automatically miss, but the DM typically just says that the attack missed, not whether you guessed the target's location correctly.

When a creature can't see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it.

If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.
    What this all means is, you can see them, they can't see you. That means you have advantage and it does not go away on damage. But you're not hidden either. You're invisible, but not hidden, if that makes sense, but it doesn't matter. Your advantage is not because you're hidden, it's purely because of vision. You can see them, they can't see you, you get advantage.

28. - Top - End - #1438

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 504
    When an imp takes a form resembling a raven, rat, or centipede, is it meant to be distinguishable from a normal one of those creatures?
    A 504

My understanding is that yes, you look just like one of the creatures, and the "resemble" part is there to clarify that all that changes is the speed and not, say, the attacks or the ability to speak.

However, I cannot refer to definitive text. I guess it's ultimately up to the DM, though I see no reason why a shapechanging effect can't turn you into a generic version of whatever you've transformed into. It's always the individual characteristics that cause trouble, not the general form.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q506

Sneak attack includes "... and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll."

If the rogue has disadvantage (due to poison condition for example), and also has advantage (hidden for example), and there is an ally w/in 5', then the attack is made as a straight roll.

PHB pg 173 states if a roll has both adv and disadv, "you are considered to have neither, and roll one d20."

So you still get sneak attack damage in the above example, right?

30. - Top - End - #1440

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Q506

Sneak attack includes "... and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll."

If the rogue has disadvantage (due to poison condition for example), and also has advantage (hidden for example), and there is an ally w/in 5', then the attack is made as a straight roll.

PHB pg 173 states if a roll has both adv and disadv, "you are considered to have neither, and roll one d20."

So you still get sneak attack damage in the above example, right?
    A506: That’s correct! However for years many have assumed that any disadvantage doesn’t allow SA to process so be prepared for dissent.