Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1432
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Well, Misty Step also doesn't say you can bring anything you are wearing or carrying. I'm not clear on the logic of why carried things are yes but leaving things behind is no?

Is this beyond this thread?
    R479: The "logic of why" is the aforementioned "common sense" guidelines behind the rules. A lot of them don't dive into the granular details if the devs felt that the "common sense" descriptions would suffice. In the case of Misty Step what would be the "common sense" point of a mage creating a spell that teleported them 30 feet only to arrive naked? Wearing or carrying nothing that they had been before the spell activated?

Also note two things:
    1. In game design the more granular you get with a mechanic it becomes more open to producing weird interactions with other mechanics.
    2. In 5e a lot of the "open ended-ness" is there to allow the DM & Players to craft the game they want without too many "specifics" getting in the way. (Which is why many questions in this thread are, "Ask your DM".)

I hope this helps, but if not do feel free to open a main forum discussion.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

A 485:

Warding Flare is a class feature, not a spell. Wildshape lets you keep class features.

A 486:

I think the situation you're wondering about is if a monster would have hit with the first attack, but then Defensive Duelist kicked in and turned it into a miss, and then the monster attacked again. In that case, the ranger would not benefit from Multiattack Defense, because the first attack didn't hit, and MD only kicks in when hit.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q487:

SPIRIT GUARDIANS states ".. when a creature enters the area for the first time on a turn .." it must make a WIS ST etc

RAW does this mean the creature's movement on their turn is the only trigger, or when they enter for any reason on any turn?

In other words, if a PC casts the spell and then moves, the area of effect moves with them, so a creature you move towards on your turn will "enter the area for the first time on a turn" (or any forced movement into the AoE).

Very specifically, if my Aarakocra Cleric casts SG and then flies around making all the enemies enter the AoE, do they all take damage?

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

A487

Spirit Guardians deals damage when an enemy moves itself into the area or is forcibly moved into the area, but not when the area is moved onto it.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 488
    Based on the description, what spells would be cast without spell components with the Zealot barbarian's Warrior of the Gods feature? Raise Dead is specifically called out, but other similar spells have riders that might not make revival the 'sole effect'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q489:

If a MC light cleric/druid casts GOODBERRY does every goodberry get boosted by 2+ the spell's level hp, or does DISCIPLE OF LIFE allow you to create 10 + 2 + spell level's # of 1 hp each goodberries?

7. - Top - End - #1387

SwashbucklerGuy

Q490: Does an Artificer's Flash of Genius ability stack with other Flash of Genius's?
    E.g. if I have 6 Artificers each with 20 INT in a party, and they all use Flash of Genius on a single skill check, would the bonus to the check be +5 or +30?

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

A 489:

Every time one of such a caster's goodberries is eaten, it is an instance of a spell healing damage, and so the damage healed would be increased by +2 (from 1 to 3), for a total of 30 points of damage healed from a single first-level spell slot. This trick is sometimes referred to as "greatberries".

Remember that to make this work, you need a character focusing significant build resources on being a maximally-effective healer, and that it's too slow (one action per berry eaten) to be useful in combat.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    Q490: Does an Artificer's Flash of Genius ability stack with other Flash of Genius's?
    E.g. if I have 6 Artificers each with 20 INT in a party, and they all use Flash of Genius on a single skill check, would the bonus to the check be +5 or +30?
    A490: Effects from the same feature or spell never stack.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2020-03-02 at 04:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q491
    Adult Blue dragon has written in its statblock:
    Frightful Presence. Each creature of the dragon's choice that is within 120 ft. of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
    How does dragon "pick" targets in this case? Can he pick an invisible target? What about one in darkness? In Full cover? Obscured? Switched to Astral plane? Is dragon basically omniscentient in this case (it would make sense, because an adult dragon roaring a house away, will probably make you **** your pants). ... But I have some rules-lawyers in my game, so I'd really appreciate RAW explanation of target selection in this case.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Q491
    Adult Blue dragon has written in its statblock:

How does dragon "pick" targets in this case? Can he pick an invisible target? What about one in darkness? In Full cover? Obscured? Switched to Astral plane? Is dragon basically omniscentient in this case (it would make sense, because an adult dragon roaring a house away, will probably make you **** your pants). ... But I have some rules-lawyers in my game, so I'd really appreciate RAW explanation of target selection in this case.

A491
    I would say that the intent is simply to allow him to not effect chosen allies (and on fact that's how *I* would have written it. The Dragon may choose any number of creatures in the area to not be affected)
    But this is a RAW thread so let's go there. RAW the Dragon just "picks" with no indication on how they must pick. To me this goes along the lines of 'the dragon gets to be omniscient' allowing him to target creatures he may be unaware of. He certainly can target a creature he is aware of, but can't see.

I would explain to the party (if questioned on it) that the dragon simply chooses to pick all creatures in the area EXCEPT allies. That follows the RAW and targets any creature in the area. (Note that FULL cover would still block this because it needs line of effect.)

Edit: Also note that the creature being affected must be aware of the Dragon, but it doesn't say that the dragon must be aware of the creature being affected.
    Last edited by Galithar; 2020-03-03 at 04:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    A491
    I would say that the intent is simply to allow him to not effect chosen allies (and on fact that's how *I* would have written it. The Dragon may choose any number of creatures in the area to not be affected)
    But this is a RAW thread so let's go there. RAW the Dragon just "picks" with no indication on how they must pick. To me this goes along the lines of 'the dragon gets to be omniscient' allowing him to target creatures he may be unaware of. He certainly can target a creature he is aware of, but can't see.

I would explain to the party (if questioned on it) that the dragon simply chooses to pick all creatures in the area EXCEPT allies. That follows the RAW and targets any creature in the area. (Note that FULL cover would still block this because it needs line of effect.)

Edit: Also note that the creature being affected must be aware of the Dragon, but it doesn't say that the dragon must be aware of the creature being affected.
    Where does the rule that full cover blocks this effect come from?

13. - Top - End - #1393

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    Where does the rule that full cover blocks this effect come from?
    The rules on Cover in the PHB Page 196. Though re-reading I think I may technically be extrapolating something not in the exact RAW. The rules call out specifically Attacks and Spells, which this is technically neither. So a nit-picking rules lawyer may try to claim otherwise, but a creature that is behind total cover cannot be targeted unless by a spell that specifically calls out that it is capable of targeting them (Such as Fireball saying it spreads around corners).

So I guess that would technically fall under RAI since it isn't explicitly written anywhere that I see right now. I just assumed it was until I went to look up the rules reference for you though.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The rules on Cover in the PHB Page 196. Though re-reading I think I may technically be extrapolating something not in the exact RAW. The rules call out specifically Attacks and Spells, which this is technically neither. So a nit-picking rules lawyer may try to claim otherwise, but a creature that is behind total cover cannot be targeted unless by a spell that specifically calls out that it is capable of targeting them (Such as Fireball saying it spreads around corners).

So I guess that would technically fall under RAI since it isn't explicitly written anywhere that I see right now. I just assumed it was until I went to look up the rules reference for you though.
    I don’t think it is a nitpicking rules lawyer. As you say, for the RAW it is neither a spell nor an attack. The feature as written has no limitation for cover.

The whole notion is that being this close to a dragon is scary. Doesn’t seem like a stretch to think that being behind full cover makes it no less scary.

15. - Top - End - #1395

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    I don’t think it is a nitpicking rules lawyer. As you say, for the RAW it is neither a spell nor an attack. The feature as written has no limitation for cover.

The whole notion is that being this close to a dragon is scary. Doesn’t seem like a stretch to think that being behind full cover makes it no less scary.
    If you want to discuss further we should move this to it's own thread, but it is a very slippery slope to omit this ability by virtue of it not being a spell or attack. If you use that logic now ALL abilities that are not an attack or spell ignore total cover, even if they would be effected by partial cover. The wording in the 'total cover' section is just poorly worded to not include non-spell/attacks. So while I see where you're coming from it is shaky on being RAW (it's never said to explicitly ignore cover, *I* have just been unable to find wording to include it.) and I definitely see it as being outside of RAI. Abilities that don't call out ignoring cover, shouldn't.

I will also make my final note that in the page referenced earlier when it first talks about cover it says "A target can benefit from cover only when an attack or other effect originates on the opposite side of the cover" this portion IS inclusive to all creatures abilities.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q486:

How does Defensive Duelist (feat) and Multiattack Defense (7th level Hunter sub-class feature) interact with each other?

Personally, I'm leaning towards that when a creature hits, both apply, even if you were to use Defensive Duelist's ability.

But, am I mistaken?
    A486
    Only if the attacker still hits you despite using the Defensive Duelist ability with your reaction.
    Or both if you were hit by the attacker and then used the defensive duelist ability as a reaction on a subsequent attack while multiattack defense was still active vs that attacker.

The multiattack defense ability only activates after you've been hit and is only effective vs the attacker that hit you.

The multiattack defense ability works best with something like the Uncanny Dodge ability of the rogue. Use your reaction to take half damage from the initial attack and then get a +4 AC on any subsequent attack from that attacker.
    Last edited by FinnS; 2020-03-05 at 08:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Q492: The multi-classing rules state that "When you gain your first level in a class other than your initial class, you gain only some of new class's starting proficiencies, as shown in the Multiclassing Proficiencies table."

Does this apply to Proficiencies gained from sub-classes at level 1? For example, would multi-classing into one of the Cleric subclasses that have it grant Heavy Armour Proficiency or not?

18. - Top - End - #1398

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zetakya View Post
    Q492: The multi-classing rules state that "When you gain your first level in a class other than your initial class, you gain only some of new class's starting proficiencies, as shown in the Multiclassing Proficiencies table."

Does this apply to Proficiencies gained from sub-classes at level 1? For example, would multi-classing into one of the Cleric subclasses that have it grant Heavy Armour Proficiency or not?
    A492
    You still gain any proficiencies from a subclass, so yes, a one level dip in certain cleric subclasses can grant heavy armor proficiency.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q492
    As per Raw, in what conditions can groups make group checks? I'm specifically interested in Stealth. Is this a group check? Can it be attempted so? I can see the party together lifting a tree as a group check, but fighter banging his shileld to his greaves during Stealth ... not so much.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Q492
    As per Raw, in what conditions can groups make group checks? I'm specifically interested in Stealth. Is this a group check? Can it be attempted so? I can see the party together lifting a tree as a group check, but fighter banging his shileld to his greaves during Stealth ... not so much.
    A492

AFAIK, the only rules on group checks are the three paragraphs in Chapter 7 of the PHB, which I assume you've read. They place no firm restrictions on when a DM can call for a group check, simply stating "Group checks don't come up very often, and they're most useful when all the characters succeed or fail as a group."

If the group is all sneaking, I see no reason why a group check would not be appropriate. A "fighter banging his shield to his greaves" is not the only way to narrate a fighter in heavy armor failing a stealth check. Mayhap the fighter, without help, would be concentrating so much on not making noise that he might accidentally step on a loud branch. The other party members can help him avoid such pitfalls.

Powers &8^]

21. - Top - End - #1401

Goblin

Q493
    Is a character with the Blink spell, disappearing at the end of their turn, still susceptible to legendary actions, which take place at the end of their turn?

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantiumBhuka View Post
    Q493
    Is a character with the Blink spell, disappearing at the end of their turn, still susceptible to legendary actions, which take place at the end of their turn?
    A493

Are you suggesting that because the caster is no longer in the location where combat is taking place, that the legendary action could not trigger? Obviously, a legendary action cannot target such a creature, but the creature's turn still ended (else the next creature would be unable to take its turn) regardless of what plane the creature is on.

Now, for banishment you might have an argument, but I believe the rules are still silent on exactly how those things interact.

Powers &8^]

23. - Top - End - #1403

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A493

Are you suggesting that because the caster is no longer in the location where combat is taking place, that the legendary action could not trigger? Obviously, a legendary action cannot target such a creature, but the creature's turn still ended (else the next creature would be unable to take its turn) regardless of what plane the creature is on.

Now, for banishment you might have an argument, but I believe the rules are still silent on exactly how those things interact.

Powers &8^]
    R493
    I believe the question is regarding the timing of the two. Blink and the Legendary Action are both "at the end of your turn". So does the legendary action or Blink resolve first?
    And if that wasn't the question initially I'm posing it now as I couldn't find anything in the rules to define, though I want to say that Blink should resolve first.
    Last edited by Galithar; 2020-03-10 at 12:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

R493
    I believe the question is regarding the timing of the two. Blink and the Legendary Action are both "at the end of your turn". So does the legendary action or Blink resolve first?
    And if that wasn't the question initially I'm posing it now as I couldn't find anything in the rules to define, though I want to say that Blink should resolve first.
    R493

Ah! Timing! Good point.

Xanathar's has an answer to this. It's in the chapter with the optional rules:

Quote Originally Posted by The Xanathar
    In rare cases, effects can happen at the same time, especially at the start or end of a creature's turn. If two or more things happen at the same time on a character or monster's turn, the person at the game table - whether player or DM - who controls that creature decides the order in which those things happen.
    This is the only rule I'm aware of regarding the timing of simultaneous effects, but it is optional so a DM isn't wrong if she decides to resolve the order another way.

Powers &8^]

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

R 493
    And to make it explicit, this is the end of a PC's turn, so it'd be the player controlling that PC who would choose whether the blink or the legendary happened first. Presumably, they'd choose for the blink to happen first.

26. - Top - End - #1406

Q494

(General CR calculation question)
    How is an earth elemental CR 5?

Given its HP, AC, resistances, attack bonus, damage per round, it should be CR7, going by the DMG (pg. 274). I wish to swap resistance for something else, yet when recalculating its CR after removing that ability gives me... a CR 5 monster. (Calculations in this thread - No replies after 2 days so I figured I'd try here.
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

27. - Top - End - #1407

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    Q494

(General CR calculation question)
    How is an earth elemental CR 5?

Given its HP, AC, resistances, attack bonus, damage per round, it should be CR7, going by the DMG (pg. 274). I wish to swap resistance for something else, yet when recalculating its CR after removing that ability gives me... a CR 5 monster. (Calculations in this thread - No replies after 2 days so I figured I'd try here.
    A494: Both of the co-leads (Jeremy Crawford and Mike Mearls) have stated that monster CR is partly, "an art form" and not an exact science. You'll see in both creatures and spells that some of them break from the guidelines given to us on how to create them, in favor of a 'hand-crafted' touch.

Example: Fireball does too much damage for a 3rd-level spell. But that was a tweak they did on purpose, "because it's such an iconic spell".

The one thing I do know, directly from JC, is that you can change a creatures HP without affecting their CR level, up to and including giving them their Max HP.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Q495: I don’t understand “can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more” in Tenser’s Floating Disk description. For example, could the disk follow someone scrambling down a long, steep slope?

29. - Top - End - #1409

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q495: I don’t understand “can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more” in Tenser’s Floating Disk description. For example, could the disk follow someone scrambling down a long, steep slope?
    A495

Yes it could follow you down the hill. It cannot traverse an "instantaneous" elevation change of more than 10 feet. This means if you get to a cliff that is 15 feet high and then climb it (or teleport to the top) your Floating Disk would be unable to follow you.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

Q496 I think this may have been asked before, in which case please feel free to direct me, but: if I am an Eldritch Knight 3/Wizard 2, then I have spell slots as a 3rd level spellcaster, i.e. level 2 slots - but no level 2 spells known. As a Wizard, can I nevertheless scribe a 2nd level spell into my spellbook, if I can access such a spell?