New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q123
    Does Hexblade's Curse add damage to both the initial hit with Booming Blade and the secondary damage dealt if the target willingly moves?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    Q123
    Does Hexblade's Curse add damage to both the initial hit with Booming Blade and the secondary damage dealt if the target willingly moves?
    A123 Yes it does since the curse affects “damage rolls” without any disqualifiers or other limitations.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-10-31 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Grammar.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

Q124 Does the gnome racial trait Gnome Cunning give advantage on the saving throw involved with contact other plane?
    Last edited by TIPOT; 2018-11-01 at 07:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TIPOT View Post
    Q124 Does the gnome racial trait Gnome Cunning give advantage on the saving throw involved with contact other plane?
    A124 It's a saving throw against an effect caused by magic, so I don't see why it wouldn't.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-11-01 at 09:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q125: Is the damage dealt to the caster by the Warding Bond spell magical?

For example, if party member A is resistant to nonmagical piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage and casts warding bond on team member B, who then takes 12 nonmagical bludgeoning damage (before the resistance granted by warding bond), does A take 3 or 6 damage?
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-11-04 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Q125: Is the damage dealt to the caster by the Warding Bond spell magical?

For example, if party member A is resistant to nonmagical piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage and casts warding bond on team member B, who then takes 12 nonmagical bludgeoning damage (before the resistance granted by warding bond), does A take 3 or 6 damage?
    A125 Yes, it’s magical. https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/30...ysical-damage/

7. - Top - End - #337
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Q126
    Do animate dead turn hostile when the control period is over.
    Q126b
    Is there any writen method players can use to obtain larger or non humanoid undead, like the skeleton horse.
    q126d
    Or specific undead not included in animate/create undead (not including spectres) EG flameskulls, deathlocks. This also goes for constructs like helmed horrors or animated armours (aware of golem creation books)
    q126e
    Does mending work on undead/constructs?
    Last edited by The Jack; 2018-11-04 at 09:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q126a: Yes, as per the description of skeletons and zombies in the Monster Manual. They attack living they encounter. That said, if they do not perceive a living creature, they may not immediately act with hostility.

Q126b: The DM has the created creature's stats. That could potentially allow a player to animate a skeleton horse.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

a126
    No. Oops. I totally meant "yes". They turn hostile.Now that you're not controlling them they're like any other skeletons or zombies from the 5e stat block.

A126b
    No. AL had a special Halloween event which allowed ppl to earn the ability to summon a skeletal warhorse but that’s specific to AL and thus not really RAW. Also it’s passed.

A126d
    No, but a necromancer can eventually take control of an already existing undead, fwiw.

A126e
    No. They’re Creatures.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2018-11-05 at 12:32 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

10. - Top - End - #340

Q127

Barbarian is raging and becomes grappled.
    On his turn he attempts to break out of the grapple using his action.
    Grapple is not an attack, and causes no damage.
    Does rage end?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Q127

Barbarian is raging and becomes grappled.
    On his turn he attempts to break out of the grapple using his action.
    Grapple is not an attack, and causes no damage.
    Does rage end?
    A127 Grappling is listed under Melee Attacks as a Special Attack so, RAW, it still counts as an attack for the purposes of remaining in rage. If rage would end from being unable to deal damage, it would also end any time a weapon attack you make misses, which fortunately isn't how it works.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-11-05 at 01:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

A 127 Grappling another creature is a type of attack and if you have multiple attacks, you can attempt it with each one. So you can attempt to grapple a creature and that will meet the conditions of maintaining rage. Escaping a grapple is an action in itself that's not specified to be an attack. You can only attempt it once despite having extra attacks. It would not meet the conditions for maintaining rage.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q128: Can Revivify re-attach limbs that have been severed but not lost, i.e. that are immediately available closeby?

Quote Originally Posted by Revivify, PHB 272
    ... nor can it restore missing body parts.
    Last edited by terodil; 2018-11-05 at 09:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by terodil View Post
    Q128: Can Revivify re-attach limbs that have been severed but not lost, i.e. that are immediately available closeby?
    As far as I know, there's no strict RAW on this matter, but I don't see why not.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-11-05 at 09:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by terodil View Post
    A128. No. The quote is explicit that it is missing, and you're going through some pretty big word acrobatics to suggest that a none attached limb is not missing, even if it's physically present on the floor nearby. You need a 7th level spell, Regenerate to regrow missing limbs (which explicitly calls out the mechanics for what happens if you have one nearby)/
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-11-05 at 09:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 129
    When I cast the contingency spell, can I use a higher level version of the spell I select as my contingency.
    If yes, is that high level version limited by the 5th level cap that contingency specify?

If I use dispel magic (targeting myself) as my contingency spell, and the condition for it to go off is 'if my character is incapacitated', and I get banished (by the banishment spell), what happens? To begin with, does it work?
    If yes and thus I stop being incapacitated, does that mean I get popped back to where I was before I got banished, or do I just remain in the harmless demiplane where banishment sends me to, but without being incapacitated?

Apologies, as this is more than one question. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Corran; 2018-11-05 at 09:47 AM.
    Hacks!

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 127 In some cases, the barbarian could shove what is grappling them, satisfying the parameters of escaping the grapple and making an attack. This would not work against an enemy that is ineligible to be shoved or has reach beyond the distance that the barbarian could shove.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 129
    When I cast the contingency spell, can I use a higher level version of the spell I select as my contingency.
    If yes, is that high level version limited by the 5th level cap that contingency specify?

If I use dispel magic (targeting myself) as my contingency spell, and the condition for it to go off is 'if my character is incapacitated', and I get banished (by the banishment spell), what happens? To begin with, does it work?
    If yes and thus I stop being incapacitated, does that mean I get popped back to where I was before I got banished, or do I just remain in the harmless demiplane where banishment sends me to, but without being incapacitated?

Apologies, as this is more than one question. Thanks in advance.
    A129:Yes, you can use a higher level spell, but it has to be no more than 5th level. If you try to use a higher level spell slot than 5th, you won't be able to cast Contingency at all.

A129a: The spell effect of your choice ends, which in this case is Banishment. The incapacitation is also part of Banishment, and Banishment explicitly says that it takes you to your original location when it ends. So it'd have the same effect as a counterspell, just popping you in and out of your planar location in a second. However, keep in mind that Unconscious also inflicts Incapacitated, so if you fall asleep or start dying, you might waste your Contingency spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

19. - Top - End - #349
    Banned

Planetar

It is worthwhile mentioning incapacitated is also caused by sleeping and thus a poor choice should you not be able to trance or otherwise bypass sleep.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Halfling in the Playground

Q130a
    Could you cast the Friends cantrip on your own familiar to make it hostile?
    Q130b
    If so, would the hostile familiar grant easy temp hps via Dark One's Blessing?

I know JC ruled that familiars aren't enemies to the spellcaster, but Friends seems to explicitly make them hostile.
    Last edited by Windwaert; 2018-11-06 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Split the question into subquestions

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

A 130a

I could have sworn Friends was only on humanoids but it says creature. *shrug*

Yep.

A 130b

I mean... it's definitely weird and expect most DMs to call "shenanigans!" but this is the RAW thread. It IS hostile. It's not necessarily attacking you, and almost certainly isn't, but it just has to be hostile. In this case "hostile" may just mean it's figuratively furrowing it's brow and thinking, "Why'd you do that? Jerk."

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 131
    My death cleric has two enemies adjacent to her, and who are also adjacent to each other. One of the enemies moves away on his turn, provoking an attack of opportunity from my cleric. My cleric has warcaster, so I use the toll the dead cantrip with that opportunity attack. Now, my cleric also has the reaper feature from the death domain, which allows to target two enemies with a necromancy cantrip if they are within 5 feet of each other, which they are. I am assuming this is a case of specific vs general, but which is more specific, the warcaster feat or the reaper domain feature? I am thinking reaper, because it is conditioned to take effect 'when I cast a necromancy cantrip that targets only one enemy', so it wouldn't mess with the warcaster requirement, since basically it's the same requirement for using reaper in the first place. But I might be wrong and thought I should ask.

Edit: Thanks Windwaert!
    Last edited by Corran; 2018-11-07 at 02:06 PM.
    Hacks!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Halfling in the Playground

A131
    I don't think this is necessarily a case of specific beats general. While the Reaper features allows you to target two ("...can instead target two creatures..."), the third benefit of War Caster states you must target only the moving creature.

So, no, I don't think the Reaper feature lifts the single target requirement of War Caster.
    Last edited by Windwaert; 2018-11-07 at 10:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q132
    If a multiclass character is taking their first level in Sorcerer, and they choose the Divine Soul sorcerous origin, can they trade their alignment affinity spell that they get for another Cleric spell immediately at that level? I guess I'm mostly unclear about whether the word "later" in the Divine Soul affinity spell clause, "If you later replace this spell, you must replace it with a spell from the cleric spell list," means it can only happen later, or if it's generic language defining the more general usage case where you are not multiclassing and are starting as a level 1 sorcerer instead of gaining a level in sorcerer as a member of another class.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Banned

Planetar

A132
    No, you do not have the ability to replace a spell you do not know until after you know it.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

Q133 a wizard is grappled by someone. If the wizard casts time stop and then breaks free of the grapple, is this action considered "affecting a creature other than you" and therefore the spell ends?

27. - Top - End - #357
    Banned

Planetar

A133
    Ask your DM what is considered to be affecting.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q134

Are there rules somewhere about how far a character can throw something?

Not as an improvised weapon like throwing a bottle at someone to attack them, just simply throwing for distance like hurling a rock into a lake as far as you can.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q135

Mace of Terror and the Conquest Paladin oath of unique modifiers of a creature being frightened.

If a level 7+ oath of conquest paladin uses the mace of terror for it's fear effect, does a frightened creature within the conquest paladin's aura dash to run away, or, instead, stand still as they lose all movement speed? If they stand still, do they then never attack because they can only dash and their movement speed is zero?

Basically just... how would these two interract?

30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q136 can the guardian of faith provide cover or concealment ?