New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Q163
    If I was a level 2 Druid and a Level 1 Barbarian, can I wild shape into an animal and then rage or alternatively rage and then wild shape? The wild shape rules seem to say that you lose all abilities when you wild shape, and it also says you can concentrate on a spell. So does it mean you can rage then wild shape or is it only for spells, or am I just completely wrong and you retain you abilities when wild shaped?
    A163
    From the PHB, page 67
    You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
    I would say that your class feature of "Rage" is not dependent on even having hands, or any particular physical feature, and thus you still have it. You either retain your rage, or can even initiate it while Wild Shaped.

Beware however: Raging is a Bonus Action. Wild shape is an action. If you do both in the same turn, you MUST get hit in order to stay raged, since you obviously didn't attack anyone that turn.

Second beware: If you're a Moon Druid, Wild shape is a BONUS action, and so is rage, thus can NOT do both on the same turn. You (probably) can't turn the Bonus Action Wild Shape into the "non-moon" regular action, as per RAW, but that's probably a debate for a non-RAW thread. So I'm just putting it here as a warning depending on what your DM is like and/or ruling like.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Q163
    If I was a level 2 Druid and a Level 1 Barbarian, can I wild shape into an animal and then rage or alternatively rage and then wild shape? The wild shape rules seem to say that you lose all abilities when you wild shape, and it also says you can concentrate on a spell. So does it mean you can rage then wild shape or is it only for spells, or am I just completely wrong and you retain you abilities when wild shaped?
    A163 Wild Shape says "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so". You can absolutely Wild Shape and then Rage, or Rage and then Wild Shape.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    At the same time, though, climbing with a climb speed generally doesn't require Athletics checks, but climbing without a climb speed does.
    Climbing without a climb speed does not require Athletics checks. Climb checks were required in 3.x, but in 5e an ability check is only needed if the climb is tricky in some way. Simply not having a climb speed isn't sufficient to make it need a check.

Powers &8^]

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

At the same time, though, climbing with a climb speed generally doesn't require Athletics checks, but climbing without a climb speed does.
    That's just an assumption that a lot of people have made. Turns out there's no support for it in the rules. Lots of folks may be getting a standard climb speed mixed up with spider climb as spider climb specifically says you can climb on difficult surfaces or even upside-down without making a check. All a climb speed means is that you use that instead of cutting your speed in half. If the DM would normally require a check for that climb, it's still needed.

It makes tabaxis suddenly kind of sad. Where I thought they could climb easily without a check, they just climb 5 ft faster than the average person. That's all.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

5. - Top - End - #485
    Banned

Planetar

So the hippo with a climb speed can climb better than a courier without a climb speed, but the hippo can't climb as far?
    Please take this elsewhere.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    It makes tabaxis suddenly kind of sad. Where I thought they could climb easily without a check, they just climb 5 ft faster than the average person. That's all.
    That's not all. They can also walk 10 feet before or after climbing, whereas the average individual cannot (if they use their full available climbing movement).

Powers &8^]

7. - Top - End - #487
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Q164
    Regarding casting a bonus action spell and another spell/cantrip on the same turn - how does it apply to repeating action spells? If I have Aura of Vitality going and use my bonus action to heal, am I still limited to casting no more than a cantrip for my action? What about casting Healing Word after I've used Call Lightning that's already acting? The language of these spells makes it seem like redoing the effect doesn't count as casting but I would like to make sure.
    Last edited by Mr. Crowbar; 2018-12-13 at 03:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

A164 Using an action granted to you from a spell, e.g. call Lightning, telekinesis, spiritual weapon, is not casting a spell. The casting has already been done. You can do it and also cast a bonus action spell.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2018-12-13 at 04:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q 165.

Can someone, with citations, please explain what spells a Warlock/Wizard multiclass can use what slots on?

For the sake of example, can a Warlock/Wizard multiclass use a Warlock slot on Magic Missile, and/or a Wizard slot on Hex?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q 165.

Can someone, with citations, please explain what spells a Warlock/Wizard multiclass can use what slots on?

For the sake of example, can a Warlock/Wizard multiclass use a Warlock slot on Magic Missile, and/or a Wizard slot on Hex?
    A 165

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, p.164
    If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.
    Spell slots can be used interchangeably. The difference is, Warlocks do not have varying spell slot levels, so when you use a Warlock Spell Slot, it always defaults to the Warlock Spell Slot level.

So in this case, if your Warlock's spell slot level is 3, and you use a Warlock Spell Slot for Magic Missile, it has to be cast at level 3.

However, there are cases where the difference between class spell slots may be relevant, just not with spellcasting. For example, the Eldritch Smite invocation (Xanathar's Guide to Everything) specifically says "Warlock Spell Slots", so you cannot use Eldritch Smite using Wizard spell slots.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-17 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 166:

If you kill somebody and take the body away... can it still be resurrected using True Resurrection?

The text of the spell says "The spell can even provide a new body if the original no longer exists, in which case you must speak the creature’s name...", but, what if the original body still exist but it is beyond touch range

Q 167:

The text says "If the creature's soul is free and willing..." does a creature whose soul has been turned into an undead creature like a Specter count as "free" for the purposes of the spell? what about corporeal undead like Ghouls or Mummies?
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2018-12-21 at 08:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Q 166:

If you kill somebody and take the body away... can it still be resurrected using True Resurrection?

The text of the spell says "The spell can even provide a new body if the original no longer exists, in which case you must speak the creature’s name...", but, what if the original body still exist but it is beyond touch range
    A166: The rules that take effect if the body no longer exists only work if the body no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Q 167:

The text says "If the creature's soul is free and willing..." does a creature whose soul has been turned into an undead creature like a Specter count as "free" for the purposes of the spell? what about corporeal undead like Ghouls or Mummies?
    The specifics of the soul are dependent on the Undead in question, but usually, it falls under the unwilling clause even if it is 'free', as it has its own motivations as an Undead creature.

An undead creature under the control of another (such as through Create Undead or similar effects) is not free.

However all motivations of a creature are decided by the DM and they can decide if it is willing.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-12-22 at 05:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 168 The Bugbear's Brute ability states: "A melee weapon deals one extra die of its damage when the bugbear hits with it (included in the attack)." yet its entry for its javelin attack deals 1d6 damage when used at range. Should Brute read: "A melee weapon attack deals one extra die..." or should the javelin deal 2d6 damage at range?

I am inclined to believe the Bugbear's javelin should deal 2d6 damage, as the Gladiator's brute ability enhances the ranged damage of their trident.
    Last edited by No brains; 2018-12-23 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Banned

Planetar

A168
    The stats of the attack are what is listed on the Bugbear profile.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 169
    I want to make sure I am understanding the spell Evard's black tentacles correctly. Do enemies (in the area of the spell) have to make saving throws at the turn when I am casting this spell? I mean, does my casting of the spell qualify as ''enemies entering the spell's area for the first time in a turn''?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Corran; 2018-12-25 at 03:27 PM.
    Hacks!

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 169
    I want to make sure I am understanding the spell Evard's black tentacles correctly. Do enemies (in the area of the spell) have to make saving throws at the turn when I am casting this spell? I mean, does my casting of the spell qualify as ''enemies entering the spell's area for the first time in a turn''?
    Thanks in advance.
    A 169

Generally no. It would say "targets in the area, as well as..." if it took effect promptly. Generally it will include a line like "or starts their turn in the area" so they have to make the save on their turn. Ongoing effects like that generally happen on the targets' turn, not the casting turn.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q170 Can my evocation wizard sculpt a Storm Sphere spell so that my allies can fight in it?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q170 Can my evocation wizard sculpt a Storm Sphere spell so that my allies can fight in it?
    A170: Yes, Storm Sphere does meet the criteria to be used with Scuplt Spell.

BUT, do note the ability says "when you cast..." so the pockets- by RAW- would only apply to that first round --> when you cast the spell. What happens to the pockets on subsequent rounds is up to the DM. Some will have them remain the entire duration, as if they are a fabric of how the spell was created. Others might have the wind overtake the spell threads that held the sculpted safe-zones stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A170: Yes, Storm Sphere does meet the criteria to be used with Scuplt Spell.
    Correct

BUT, do note the ability says "when you cast..." so the pockets- by RAW- would only apply to that first round --> when you cast the spell. What happens to the pockets on subsequent rounds is up to the DM. Some will have them remain the entire duration, as if they are a fabric of how the spell was created. Others might have the wind overtake the spell threads that held the sculpted safe-zones stable.
    Incorrect. You choose what creatures when you cast, but there is nothing to suggest it is only the initial turn on a Concentration Spell. It neither specifies it is one way or the other, and to suggest it is RAW is incorrect.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-12-28 at 07:09 AM.

20. - Top - End - #500

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    Incorrect. You choose what creatures when you cast, but there is nothing to suggest it is only the initial turn on a Concentration Spell. It neither specifies it is one way or the other, and to suggest it is RAW is incorrect.
    Huh??

There is nothing in RAW that defines what happens past the initial turn on a Sculpted Evocation Concentration Spell; hence, RAW only applies to the first round 'when the spell was cast'. After the first round --> it is up to the DM on whether the pockets last or not.

Which is exactly what I already said...
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Banned

Planetar

Correct. So using your wording, saying that it only takes effect on the first word is entirely incorrect and thus, non RAW.

22. - Top - End - #502

Correct. So using your wording, saying that it only takes effect on the first word is entirely incorrect and thus, non RAW.
    I like how you manage to simultaneously say I am correct and wrong at the same time.

The ability says "when you cast..." so the pockets -by RAW- would only apply on the first round when you cast the spell. ANYTHING past that, i.e. whether the pockets remain or don't past the first round, is DM territory.

Which, again, is what I said at the start. If you still have a disconnect on what I wrote -> please start a new thread.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Firbolg in the Playground

A170: What happens to the pockets on subsequent rounds is up to the DM.
    It neither specifies it is one way or the other
    To clear up any confusion, you guys are on the same page. It's ambiguous.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

Planetar

I like how you manage to simultaneously say I am correct and wrong at the same time.

The ability says "when you cast..." so the pockets -by RAW- would only apply on the first round when you cast the spell. ANYTHING past that, i.e. whether the pockets remain or don't past the first round, is DM territory.

Which, again, is what I said at the start. If you still have a disconnect on what I wrote -> please start a new thread.
    You said that only the first save takes effect by RAW. I corrected you by saying it specifies neither one way or the other.

25. - Top - End - #505

You said that only the first save takes effect by RAW. I corrected you by saying it specifies neither one way or the other.
    Again I am left with... huh?

For this question I have not mentioned nor reference a save, ever.

Feel free to re-read my first answer if you don't believe me. My answer has not changed and remains correct.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-12-28 at 10:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Banned

Planetar

Again I am left with... huh?

For this question I have not mentioned nor reference a save, ever.

Feel free to re-read my first answer if you don't believe me. My answer has not changed and remains correct.
    No. You said that RAW it only takes effect on the first round. This is incorrect. RAW it does not specify.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Q171: Creature types serve only to define if a creature is subject to effects that target a specific creature type. Changing them should have no impact on stats, right?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

28. - Top - End - #508
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q171: Creature types serve only to define if a creature is subject to effects that target a specific creature type. Changing them should have no impact on stats, right?
    A171 No, it does not change stats to change a creatures type, save those effects which specify it only targets a particular type: say Hold Person.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-12-30 at 11:00 AM.

29. - Top - End - #509

No. You said that RAW it only takes effect on the first round. This is incorrect. RAW it does not specify.
    Are you just trying to grief me for the fun of it? It sure seems like it with how blatant you have misrepresented my answer...

Lets break it down:
    Yes or no: by RAW Storm Sphere is eligible for the Evocer Sculpt Spell ability.
    --Yes. Storm Sphere is eligible. Meaning when you cast Storm Sphere you can sculpt it.

Yes or no: RAW spells out what happens when Sculpt Spell is used on a spell with a duration longer then instant.
    --No. There are no Written Rules regarding what happens to the pockets on subsequent rounds for Concentration spells.

Thus, by RAW, Storm Sphere is affected by the Sculpt Spell ability- but since there is no RAW defining what happens to the pockets the ability creates past the first round --> Only the first round (when you cast the spell) is covered by RAW, and anything past that up to the DM.

If you want to dispute this further, start a new thread.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Banned

Planetar

Are you just trying to grief me for the fun of it? It sure seems like it with how blatant you have misrepresented my answer...

Lets break it down:
    Yes or no: by RAW Storm Sphere is eligible for the Evocer Sculpt Spell ability.
    --Yes. Storm Sphere is eligible. Meaning when you cast Storm Sphere you can sculpt it.

Yes or no: RAW spells out what happens when Sculpt Spell is used on a spell with a duration longer then instant.
    --No. There are no Written Rules regarding what happens to the pockets on subsequent rounds for Concentration spells.

Thus, by RAW, Storm Sphere is affected by the Sculpt Spell ability- but since there is no RAW defining what happens to the pockets the ability creates past the first round --> Only the first round (when you cast the spell) is covered by RAW, and anything past that up to the DM.

If you want to dispute this further, start a new thread.
    'Only the first round (when you cast the spell) is covered by RAW'
    No, it isn't. There is no mention of it affecting only for the first round, or subsequent rounds. My issue with your answer stems from your insistence that it specifically affects the first round, but then is non specific: this is untrue, it is non specific completely.

If YOU wish to debate this create a new thread.