New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q250 Is a Shield +2 rare?

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A250: Yes a +2 Shield is Rare. The DMG on page 200 is quite explicit that the +1 is Uncommon, +2 is Rare, and +3 is Very Rare (for shields, for other + armor/weapons, see their own entries)
    Last edited by Eriol; 2019-04-01 at 08:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Halfling in the Playground

Q251 Are spell slots determined by total character level while what level spells you can know are determined by class level?
    Ex) Wizard5/Cleric5 can up cast 3rd level spells at 5th level.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VelociRapture12 View Post
    Q251 Are spell slots determined by total character level while what level spells you can know are determined by class level?
    Ex) Wizard5/Cleric5 can up cast 3rd level spells at 5th level.
    A251 That is correct.

Warlocks are different, as their caster levels don't combine with other classes to determine what level spell slots you can cast, so Warlocks and Non-Warlocks are counted seperately. However, you CAN spend Warlock spell slots for other classes' spells, and you can use other classes' spell slots for Warlock spells.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-02 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #755
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q252 with the clockwork amulet can you decide to use it after you roll the d20 and see the number?

“When you make an attack roll while wearing the amulet, you can forgo rolling the d20 to get a 10 on the die. Once used, this property can’t be used again until the next dawn.”

6. - Top - End - #756

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q252 with the clockwork amulet can you decide to use it after you roll the d20 and see the number?

“When you make an attack roll while wearing the amulet, you can forgo rolling the d20 to get a 10 on the die. Once used, this property can’t be used again until the next dawn.”
    A252 No.

It does specifically say "You can forgo rolling the d20", not "You can forgo the result of the attack roll".

Any ability that allows you to roll after the result (such as with the Lore Bard's Cunning Action) says so.

The wording of the amulet is similar to the Divination Wizard feature Portent, which also does not allow you to roll first.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-05 at 05:53 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Q253 Where is the side bar with rules for variant familiars?

I swear I read a rule somewhere, maybe in the MM or Volo's, that stated that any tiny beast with a CR under a certain limit could qualify as a variant familiar. Does anyone know what book/page this is or was I dreaming?

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

A253 MM p347 and VGtM p213.

No CR limit, it just has to be size Tiny.

I choose you, Demilichu!

9. - Top - End - #759
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q254a A halfling in my party has the Bountiful Luck feat from Xanathar's.

I make an attack roll with advantage, but roll a 1 and a 4. This would normally give me a 4 - can he use his reaction to allow me to reroll the 1 and keep the higher value, or am I stuck with the 4?

Q254b

The same situation, but I am making an attack with disadvantage. I once more roll a 1 and a 4. This gives me the 1 - do I still reroll in this case? If I roll >4 on the reroll, do I keep the new value, the 4, or do I reroll the entire roll (both dice, select lowest)?

10. - Top - End - #760

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bellin878 View Post
    Q254a A halfling in my party has the Bountiful Luck feat from Xanathar's.

I make an attack roll with advantage, but roll a 1 and a 4. This would normally give me a 4 - can he use his reaction to allow me to reroll the 1 and keep the higher value, or am I stuck with the 4?

Q254b

The same situation, but I am making an attack with disadvantage. I once more roll a 1 and a 4. This gives me the 1 - do I still reroll in this case? If I roll >4 on the reroll, do I keep the new value, the 4, or do I reroll the entire roll (both dice, select lowest)?
    A254a: You can re-roll and use the new number.
    A254b: You can re-roll but must use the lowest value of any of the rolls. In your example the 4.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q255

Can I cast shield as a reaction on my turn?

12. - Top - End - #762

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q255

Can I cast shield as a reaction on my turn?
    A255: You sure can!

13. - Top - End - #763
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q256 When casting Simulacrum do you need the whole body or just some hair, fingernail clips, etc?

14. - Top - End - #764

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q256 When casting Simulacrum do you need the whole body or just some hair, fingernail clips, etc?
    A256: You only need what the spell description states. I does not state that you need the whole body.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

A 256 the very first sentence explains that you need to be touching the creature you're copying for the entire casting time of 12 hours.

"You shape an illusory duplicate of one beast or humanoid that is within range for the entire casting time of the spell."

Note that range is Touch.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

16. - Top - End - #766
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A256 so you need the whole body?

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

A256 You make a snowman that also incorporates a piece of the creature, like hair, and 1500 gp worth of powdered ruby. Then you touch both the snowman and the creature for 12 hours.

So yeah, you need "the whole body". Actually, I don't know if this is supposed to work with a dead creature.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    A256 You make a snowman that also incorporates a piece of the creature, like hair, and 1500 gp worth of powdered ruby. Then you touch both the snowman and the creature for 12 hours.

So yeah, you need "the whole body". Actually, I don't know if this is supposed to work with a dead creature.
    re256Something something, dead creatures are objects... except for 'specific exceptions'... so ask your dm... unless you're the dm then you decide what makes the story fun. Sage advice gives us the 'best' answers to this.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...21259108474880
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECr...77875049635840

This isn't in the books, so it's not RAW. I still hope it helps.
    Last edited by No brains; 2019-04-09 at 05:16 AM. Reason: I let myself post while grumpy and wanted to tone it down
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q257.

Does the spell sniper feat interact with a sorcerer's distant metamagic on touch spells?

Example for clarification, my Divine soul sorcerer has the spell sniper feat and distant metamagic. I use distant metamagic on inflict wounds. Is it's range now 30' or 60'?

20. - Top - End - #770

Quote Originally Posted by th3g0dc0mp13x View Post
    Q257.

Does the spell sniper feat interact with a sorcerer's distant metamagic on touch spells?

Example for clarification, my Divine soul sorcerer has the spell sniper feat and distant metamagic. I use distant metamagic on inflict wounds. Is it's range now 30' or 60'?
    A257

• Distant Metamagic: When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 30 feet.
    • Spell Sniper: When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell’s range is doubled.

There is no mention of "order of operations" when considering scenarios like this, and the only restriction on duplicate effects is that they cannot come from the same source (so you cannot enhance a spell's range twice with Distant Metamagic by using it again on the same spell).

I cannot find any restriction or clarification on this. While your DM may decide otherwise, the most reasonable outcome I can see is that the Player chooses the order in which their features are used, and that there is no reason the two features cannot both extend the range.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-09 at 04:37 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

21. - Top - End - #771
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q.258, some questions about Abjurers

A. If an Abjurer learnt the Armor of Agathys spell, would their arcane ward or their temporary hit points be the first to be lost?

B. If the ward tanks the damage, would the retaliation damage from AoA still trigger?

C. If a level 18 Wizard chose an Abjuration spell as their Spell Mastery option, can they spend a few out of combat rounds to reset their Arcane Ward to max HP at will?

22. - Top - End - #772

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q.258, some questions about Abjurers

A. If an Abjurer learnt the Armor of Agathys spell, would their arcane ward or their temporary hit points be the first to be lost?

B. If the ward tanks the damage, would the retaliation damage from AoA still trigger?

C. If a level 18 Wizard chose an Abjuration spell as their Spell Mastery option, can they spend a few out of combat rounds to reset their Arcane Ward to max HP at will?
    A258

A: According to “Simultaneous Effects” from Xanathar’s Guide the player chooses.

B: No. AoA processes on a hit from a melee weapon. The Arcane Ward / THP process upon taking damage.

C: Yes. Also a 2nd level Abjurer ritual casting the [i]Alarm[\i] spell, A Deep Gnome (Svirfneblin) with the Svirfneblin Magic feat from the Sword Coast Guide.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-04-13 at 08:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A258

A: According to “Simultaneous Effects” from Xanathar’s Guide the player chooses.

B: No. AoA processes on a hit from a melee weapon. The Arcane Ward / THP process upon taking damage.

C: Yes. Also a 2nd level Abjurer ritual casting the [i]Alarm[\i] spell, A Deep Gnome (Svirfneblin) with the Svirfneblin Magic feat from the Sword Coast Guide.
    Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, not quite understanding your answer to B. Lemme write it out clearly so that I can process your answer better:

Character has both Arcane Ward and Armor of Agathys active on their person. They are stabbed by a Goblin. The character chooses for the damage to be taken by the Arcane Ward. Does the Goblin take Cold damage?

24. - Top - End - #774

BarbarianGuy

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, not quite understanding your answer to B. Lemme write it out clearly so that I can process your answer better:

Character has both Arcane Ward and Armor of Agathys active on their person. They are stabbed by a Goblin. The character chooses for the damage to be taken by the Arcane Ward. Does the Goblin take Cold damage?
    R258: Yes, AoA triggers because of the Goblin's "to hit" attack.

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate before that my answer was due to your phrasing of "takes damage" and that it didn't reference "a hit".

In your prior example AoA doesn't trigger just from damage, like a Fireball. In your current example AoA does trigger because the dagger attack is the "hit by a melee weapon" that it requires.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks for the reply.

R258.b Probably not.

The character actually cannot choose which defensive buff works first; they way both spells are written the Arcane Ward will absorb damage first and Armor of Agathys takes over once the ward runs out.

So long as the Arcane Ward is up, Armor of Agathys damage shield does not proc.

However, say the Arcane Ward only had 2 points left and the PC is struck for 4. Then the Ward would absorb 2 points, Armor of Agathys absorbs 2 more (lose 2 THP, technically) and would proc cold damage as usual.

Cite
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    R258.b Probably not.

The character actually cannot choose which defensive buff works first; they way both spells are written the Arcane Ward will absorb damage first and Armor of Agathys takes over once the ward runs out.

So long as the Arcane Ward is up, Armor of Agathys damage shield does not proc.

However, say the Arcane Ward only had 2 points left and the PC is struck for 4. Then the Ward would absorb 2 points, Armor of Agathys absorbs 2 more (lose 2 THP, technically) and would proc cold damage as usual.

Cite
    R258 That tweet says the Arcane Ward comes first, but doesn't clarify the interaction with armor of Agathys.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of Agathys, PHB p215
    If a creature hits you with a melee attack while you have these hit points, the creature takes 5 cold damage.
    AoA's THP do not need to be affected to trigger the retaliation damage. If the Arcane Ward is reduced due to being hit with a melee attack while you have AoA THP, the attacker would take cold damage.

27. - Top - End - #777

Good catch Pharaon.
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q259. A tabaxi uses his ability to double his speed for the turn. He then uses an action to cast polymorph. Does the new form have the standard or double speed?

29. - Top - End - #779

Q259. A tabaxi uses his ability to double his speed for the turn. He then uses an action to cast polymorph. Does the new form have the standard or double speed?
    A259: Tabaxi use their ability Feline Grace "on their move".

If you are polymorphed before your move- you would be unable to use your Tabaxi ability.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q260 Can my wizard cast Simulacrum on himself, making an illusory duplicate of me?