New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q274 can my 12th level battlemaster use his maneuvers with his bow? Trip? Disarm?

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

275 I know you can't use lucky feat twice on the same roll, but can I use indomitable and lucky on the same roll?

3. - Top - End - #813
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q274 can my 12th level battlemaster use his maneuvers with his bow? Trip? Disarm?
    A274: Depends in the maneuver. If it says “melee attack” then no. If it says “weapon attack” then yes.

4. - Top - End - #814

BarbarianGuy

275 I know you can't use lucky feat twice on the same roll, but can I use indomitable and lucky on the same roll?
    A275: Yes you can.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Q276: If a mount moves past an enemy and uses the disengage action so that the enemy can not make an opportunity attack against it, is the rider also protected or still vulnerable to opportunity attacks?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #816
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q276: If a mount moves past an enemy and uses the disengage action so that the enemy can not make an opportunity attack against it, is the rider also protected or still vulnerable to opportunity attacks?
    The Rider is protected, due to this rule: "You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction" (PHB p.195).

The Mount and the Rider do not share resources, conditions, or any other effect, so the Mount's movement would cause only the Mount to trigger an Opportunity Attack (if any).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-29 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #817

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    The Rider is protected, due to this rule: "You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction" (PHB p.195).

The Mount and the Rider do not share resources, conditions, or any other effect, so the Mount's movement would cause only the Mount to trigger an Opportunity Attack (if any).
    R276: That last bit is in error, "In either case, if the mount provokes an opportunity attack while you’re on it, the attacker can target you or the mount." (PH, "Mounted Combat")

In Q276 since the mount took the Disengage action both are safe from OA's, unless there's a game feature that allows OA's on disengaged creatures, such as Sentinel.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-04-29 at 11:44 AM. Reason: A word.

8. - Top - End - #818

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R276: That last bit is in error, "In either case, if the mount provokes an opportunity attack while you’re on it, the attacker can target you or the mount." (PH, "Mounted Combat")

In Q276 since the mount took the Disengage action both are safe from OA's, unless there's a game feature that allows OA's on disengaged creatures, such as Sentinel.
    Ah, darn. I always forget about that stupid line. Thanks for the assist!
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q277 I drop beyond 0. I'm bleeding out. A goblin walks up and stabs me. That's an auto-crit. Is that two failed death saves?

10. - Top - End - #820

Q277 I drop beyond 0. I'm bleeding out. A goblin walks up and stabs me. That's an auto-crit. Is that two failed death saves?
    A277
    Yes it is!

The section titled "Dropping to 0 Hit Points" states: If damage reduces you to 0 hit points and fails to kill you, you fall unconscious. This unconsciousness ends if you regain any hit points.

And later: If you take any damage while you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer two failures instead. If the damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum, you suffer instant death.

Lastly, the Unconscious condition description says: Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature.

So Attacking Unconscious Creature = Critical Hit
    Hit on a Dying creature: 1 failed Death Saving Throw.
    Critical Hit on a Dying creature: 2 Failed Death Saving Throws.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-29 at 04:42 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

11. - Top - End - #821

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    A277
    Yes it is!

The section titled "Dropping to 0 Hit Points" states: If damage reduces you to 0 hit points and fails to kill you, you fall unconscious. This unconsciousness ends if you regain any hit points.

And later: If you take any damage while you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer two failures instead. If the damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum, you suffer instant death.

Lastly, the Unconscious condition description says: Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature.

So Attacking Unconscious Creature = Critical Hit
    Hit on a Dying creature: 1 failed Death Saving Throw.
    Critical Hit on a Dying creature: 2 Failed Death Saving Throws.
    Also worth mentioning here, the "within 5 feet" thing. So RANGED attacks from outside of that would NOT be auto-crit, and thus only 1 fail each (if they hit), but melee are the auto-crit (on hit) which means you take two fails.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q278 My battle master can frighten you until the end of my next turn. However, on my next turn, can I try to 're-frighten (I think they call it 'chain frighten') you so you never snap out of it, provided you fail your save?

13. - Top - End - #823
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q279 When disarming an opponent, if I wanted to kick the weapon 5-10' away, what kind of action would that be? action? interact?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2019-04-30 at 04:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #824

Q278 My battle master can frighten you until the end of my next turn. However, on my next turn, can I try to 're-frighten (I think they call it 'chain frighten') you so you never snap out of it, provided you fail your save?
    A278While the end result of duplicate effects don't stack, the durations can. So you can Frighten the target and then Frighten him again before the end of your 2nd turn. He'd have 2 of the same effects, be only effected by 1 of them, and as soon as the first ended, the second would take its place.

While that might seem confusing, just imagine that you're refreshing the duration (but not adding to it) when you Frighten the creature a second time.

Q279 When disarming an opponent, if I wanted to kick the weapon 5-10' away, what kind of action would that be? action? interact?
    A279: "Kicking a small stone" is listed as an object interaction as the closest example of kicking away a weapon. There is no mention of distance, though, and you'll have to ask your DM if kicking a weapon is even the same thing as kicking a small stone.

Personally, I'd allow it to be an Object Interaction that kicked it out to 5 feet, and allowed enemy Opportunity Attacks. If an enemy was adjacent to me as I hopped on one leg, I'd expect him to swing at me.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-30 at 10:42 AM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

QUESTION 262d

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    QUESTION 262a:
    I have a Fighter with Polearm Master and Tunnel Fighter wielding a glaive.

An enemy outside my reach moves into it, triggering Polearm Mastery.
    If the enemy then moves adjacent to me, does that trigger the reaction attack from Tunnel Fighter?

QUESTION 262b:
    If I were to combine the above with Sentinel, could I choose not to reduce the movement of the enemy that I hit to zero, so that I could both attacks above?

Example image below if needed

Spoiler
    Show
    In reference to the above:

We are using playing on a grid, standard 5-foot squares. In this case, does a creature moving from square 5C to 4C provoke the Reaction from Tunnel Fighter, and do they get into the square before or after the Reaction?

My thought is that the Polearm Master OA is provoked and happens as the creature is moving, before the creature gets into 5C. For example, if they put one toe over and you hit them with Polearm Master and Sentinel, then they would be stopped in 6C and never actually get into 5C.

Then similarly, for Tunnel Fighter, the Reaction is provoked and happens before they get into 4C. For example, if a enemy tried to move adjacent to you and you hit them with the Reaction and use the Battle Master's Pushing Attack on it, then they would be pushed back into 7C, instead of having gotten into 5C and being pushed back to 6C.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2019-05-02 at 05:37 AM.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

16. - Top - End - #826
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q. 280.

A cleric uses their "Path to the grave" ability on a target.

A rogue with Purple Worm Poison (DC: 19, 12d6, save for half) stabs the same target immediately and obtains a critical hit.

How much poison damage would be inflicted?

17. - Top - End - #827
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q 281.

A sorcerer over the course of a battle round casts Absorb Elements, Zephyr Strike, Banishing Smite, and Booming Blade.

How many of those spells can he reroll with Empower Spell metamagic, and does he need to pay for each one?

18. - Top - End - #828

WolfInSheepsClothing

QUESTION 262d
    In reference to the above:

We are using playing on a grid, standard 5-foot squares. In this case, does a creature moving from square 5C to 4C provoke the Reaction from Tunnel Fighter, and do they get into the square before or after the Reaction?
    A262d

Before. As always, DMG 252 (iirc), unless the reaction timing is specified to be different, the reaction happens after the trigger ends. The trigger is "enters", so the reaction would happen "after enters finishes".

This is further emphasised by the fact that, on a grid, you do not move in "foot" increments but "squares" incremements. As such, the movement would be "one square", with nothing in between.

Notice: this is different from a normal AoO, which explicitly specifies that the reaction happens "before the creature leaves".

Edit: This answer actually doesn't fully address the question. The part missing is "No, it doesn't, because moving 5ft is not "[moving] more than 5ft while within your reach"".

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q. 280.

A cleric uses their "Path to the grave" ability on a target.

A rogue with Purple Worm Poison (DC: 19, 12d6, save for half) stabs the same target immediately and obtains a critical hit.

How much poison damage would be inflicted?
    A280

12d6, save for half.

The damage is not from the attack, but from an effect that has a DC that is linked to the attack.
    Simply put, the attack delivers the poison, not the damage from the poison. The poison damage dealt is a separate roll from the attack damage.

This would also make it so that the vulnerability should not be applied to the poison damage dealt by the poison - IN THIS CASE.

Were the poison to "add xdy poison damage to the attack damage" then it would be another story.

(also, i'm going by memory on how purple worm poison works, so i might be working on false assumptions.)

Q 281.

A sorcerer over the course of a battle round casts Absorb Elements, Zephyr Strike, Banishing Smite, and Booming Blade.

How many of those spells can he reroll with Empower Spell metamagic, and does he need to pay for each one?
    A281

Assuming a sorcerer can cast all those spells in a round, and assuming you intent for all those damage portions to be discharged in a single strike:

Arguably RAW: All of them for their damage portion. Each one.
    Equally Arguable: Any mix.

Tecnically, it doesn't however list the necessity of rerolling damage for that spell only, or for a spell's damage at all, in an extensively explicit manner.

I can see how this could be controversial and debatable however. And i don't believe this thread to be the place for discussion on this matter, even if i believe there are reasons to read it the this way in the text.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-05-03 at 02:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    A262d

Before. As always, DMG 252 (iirc), unless the reaction timing is specified to be different, the reaction happens after the trigger ends. The trigger is "enters", so the reaction would happen "after enters finishes".

This is further emphasised by the fact that, on a grid, you do not move in "foot" increments but "squares" incremements. As such, the movement would be "one square", with nothing in between.

Notice: this is different from a normal AoO, which explicitly specifies that the reaction happens "before the creature leaves".
    But you still get the attack against any creature moving from 6C to 4C?
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2019-05-03 at 11:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q 282

Xanathar's says that creature in free fall will fall up to 500ft per round. Would a creature that has a fly speed be able to free fall without taking damage or using movement?

21. - Top - End - #831

Q 282

Xanathar's says that creature in free fall will fall up to 500ft per round. Would a creature that has a fly speed be able to free fall without taking damage or using movement?
    A282

Not likely. Note these rules under Flying creatures that fall: "A flying creature in flight falls if it is knocked prone, if its speed is reduced to 0 feet, or if it otherwise loses the ability to move, unless it can hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as the fly spell." (XGE, p. 77)

Of course, you can make yourself fall prone without spending any movement as part of the core movement rules, but that wouldn't mitigate the fall damage.

All rules point to the Flying creature falling as normal, and taking full damage, if their flight isn't being used for some reason.

However, Xanathar's does include an optional rule where flying creatures can deduct the amount of distance that they fall (including with damage calculations) by their flying speed, reflected as them trying to flap their wings to mitigate the impact.

Additionally, you could technically Ready your action, conserving your unused Flying movement to reinitiate Flying with your Reaction. However, RAW, you would immediately drop the required, uninterrupted 500 feet if you do so.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-03 at 02:21 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

22. - Top - End - #832

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7
    QUESTION 262d
    Sorry, i messed up the first answer, i mixed up topics in my mind and sort of gave an answer that doesn't actually address the question.
    Let's correct it:

A 262d

You would not get the Tunnel Fighter reaction, since Tunnel Fighter requires moving more than 5ft, and a 5ft movement is not more than 5ft.

The rest of the answer is still true, however not really applicable since there would be no reaction to begin with.
    With this out of the way,

But you still get the attack against any creature moving from 6C to 4C?
    Assuming that a character did take the Tunnel Fighter Bonus Action during their turn, they would get an AoO from Polearm Master against any creature moving from 6C to 5C. It's an AoO, so it would not consume the reaction in this case.
    Assuming no Sentinel for simplicity (for other reasons regarding optionality of the movement reduction), any creature further moving to 4C would then trigger the reaction from Tunnel Fighter, allowing the character to make the attack with the timing explained in the previous post.
    The reaction from Tunnel Fighter however doesn't fall under the bonus conferred from taking the BA from Tunnel Fighter, since it's not an AoO. Which means that it would consume the reaction of the character at the first use.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    Sorry, i messed up the first answer, i mixed up topics in my mind and sort of gave an answer that doesn't actually address the question.

snip
    In your defense I messed up my question, since my intent was always to ask about the move from 6C to 4C.

And I tried to be consistent in my use of OA vs Reaction. I know you only get one shot for moving more than 5 feet from Tunnel Fighter.

Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #834

DwarfClericGuy

Q 283

There is a natural cave with connected A, B and C spaces. (30 ft x 30 ft each) In front of a cave, there is a group of six goblins, who are about to enter a cave, chasing a Human Wizard, who disappeared in the cave entry and thus space A three rounds ago. Human Wizard, who casts Minor Illusion, shapes a cca 5x5 ft size rock, crouches in it. Goblins rush in, casting a quick glance over space A, advance into B, advance into C, searching for our wizard, hidden in Illusory rock.

What checks if any, should be made in this situation, per RAW?

25. - Top - End - #835

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post
    Q 283

There is a natural cave with connected A, B and C spaces. (30 ft x 30 ft each) In front of a cave, there is a group of six goblins, who are about to enter a cave, chasing a Human Wizard, who disappeared in the cave entry and thus space A three rounds ago. Human Wizard, who casts Minor Illusion, shapes a cca 5x5 ft size rock, crouches in it. Goblins rush in, casting a quick glance over space A, advance into B, advance into C, searching for our wizard, hidden in Illusory rock.

A283: Passive Perception from the Goblins as soon as they enter A to spot the fake rock. If/when they start searching Intelligence (Investigation).

If the first check meets or exceeds the Wizards Spell Save DC they know there’s something fishy about the rock.

If the second check meets or exceeds the Wizards Spell Save DC they see through the illusion.

Your example didn’t mention that Wizzy tried to hide (stealth) so you can also check against their passive stealth vs the gobies passive perception and/or Int (Investigation).

26. - Top - End - #836

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A283: Passive Perception from the Goblins as soon as they enter A to spot the fake rock. If/when they start searching Intelligence (Investigation).

If the first check meets or exceeds the Wizards Spell Save DC they know there’s something fishy about the rock.

If the second check meets or exceeds the Wizards Spell Save DC they see through the illusion.

Your example didn’t mention that Wizzy tried to hide (stealth) so you can also check against their passive stealth vs the gobies passive perception and/or Int (Investigation).
    This feels very, very weird.

Passive perception to spot a FAKE rock?(how is your rock-o-graphy, mr. goblin?) And DC for that being just wizard's Spell Save DC?

>If the second check meets or exceeds the Wizards Spell Save DC they see through the illusion.
    PHB/spell description:Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion.

I'd really appreciate another opinion.

27. - Top - End - #837

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post

A 283

RAW? Ask your DM. That's really the only possible true answer. Too many things here hinge on decisions on how a world and the particular situation works to make a serious or simple RAW answer.

At the very least, i would say that a DM should confirm if the wizard is trying to hide, and then evaluate if a Dex(stealth) check is needed of if the hiding will be an automatic success/failure, and the goblins, described as searching for the wizard but only looking for it quickly, should oppose that check with their passive Wis(perception) to see if they perceive the hiding wizard somehow.

But that's the extent of it, given that each situation is different. Are there tracks? Are the goblins looking for them? Is the cave very noisy? All considerations that can only be made by a DM that has a firmer grasp of the situation at hand and that can decide what happens when. What if the goblins do manage to perceive the wizard? Did they have a possibility to spot them, or just to hear? Will they behave as the wizard is invisible, will the illusion hold?

Before any real consideration on "how", there are considerations of "what" that has to be made. There's no real rule here other that "A Dm chooses".

28. - Top - End - #838
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q284 My fighter is in trouble. I use evasive footwork to get out. I roll my Sup die, and I roll low. Can I then dodge before moving?

29. - Top - End - #839

BarbarianGuy

Q284 My fighter is in trouble. I use evasive footwork to get out. I roll my Sup die, and I roll low. Can I then dodge before moving?
    A284: Yes, you haven’t used your Action yet.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Q285:

Portent vs. advantage/disadvantage

A divination wizard has a low portent roll available, that he wants to use to make an enemy fail a save. The enemy has spell resistance, or for some other reason has advantage on the save. Does the portent value replace both of the enemy's rolls, or just one of them?

Or, similarly, the diviner has a high roll available, and wants to make an ally succeed on something, but the ally has disadvantage on the roll. Does it replace both rolls, or just one?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics