New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q292 can Sleep spell work on a wraith?
    A292
    No. Sleep doesn't work on undead or creatures that are immune to charm. A wraith is both of those things.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    As Galithar just pointed out, The Sleep spell itself specifically says it doesn't work on undead.
    Post deleted.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q292 sorry but you've confused me. I'll ask again. Does the Sleep spell work on a wraith?

4. - Top - End - #874

SolithKnightGuy

Q292 sorry but you've confused me. I'll ask again. Does the Sleep spell work on a wraith?
    As before, no.
    The sleep spell cannot affect undead or creatures that are immune to being charmed.
    A wraith is undead AND immune to bring charmed.

A wraith cannot be affected by the sleep spell.
    Last edited by Galithar; 2019-05-14 at 04:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Can a Kensei monk use the versatile property on a weapon's (assume the 1d8 spear) and make an unarmed strike?

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by airless_wing View Post
    Can a Kensei monk use the versatile property on a weapon's (assume the 1d8 spear) and make an unarmed strike?
    A293

Yes. Quarterstaves too.

Powers &8^]

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by airless_wing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A293 Yes. Quarterstaves too.
    I would add that:
    • Making an unarmed strike does not require a free hand, as it can be a kick or a head-butt.
    • Switching between holding a weapon with one or two hands shouldn't hurt your action economy anyway.
    • The greatclub and the longbow can be selected as kensei weapons, and henceforth count as monk weapons despite being two-handed. This allows you to take the Attack action with them and make an unarmed strike as a bonus action.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 294: As a DM, is a Glyph of Warding containing a 9th level spell cleric spell an appropriate form for a Divine Intervention to take? I am unclear if it falls in like with 'the effect of any cleric spell' as suggested by the PHB.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Q 294: As a DM, is a Glyph of Warding containing a 9th level spell cleric spell an appropriate form for a Divine Intervention to take? I am unclear if it falls in like with 'the effect of any cleric spell' as suggested by the PHB.
    A 294 The only rule for Divine Intervention is that you consider it appropriate for the situation and the god in question. Don't read the "effect of any cleric spell" as being restrictive rather than being just suggestive.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-05-19 at 04:37 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

This came up in our game tonight: How many mage hands can a single user have on at once? From the description it seems the only limiter is the 1 minute duration, so we figured it was 10 mage hands.

11. - Top - End - #881

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Makorel View Post
    This came up in our game tonight: How many mage hands can a single user have on at once? From the description it seems the only limiter is the 1 minute duration, so we figured it was 10 mage hands.
    A295: One. From the description, “The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.”

12. - Top - End - #882

GnomeWizardGuy

Q296

From Dispel Magic: "For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability."

Does this ability check use your proficiency bonus?
    Emongnome

13. - Top - End - #883
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    Q296

From Dispel Magic: "For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability."

Does this ability check use your proficiency bonus?
    A296

No, however some class features allow you to add it such as jack of all trades for a bard, or the abjuration wizard ability improved abjuration.
    Last edited by th3g0dc0mp13x; 2019-05-22 at 01:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

Q297

Cloud of Daggers deals damage to enemies “when it enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there.”

Just to be clear, if I cast this spell, they take damage right away because their now in the spells area, then they again take damage upon their turn beginning, correct? It triggers twice before they really get to act?

Does it also double trigger like this when a foe is forced into the area?
    Last edited by Koury; 2019-05-23 at 12:00 PM.
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

15. - Top - End - #885

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Q297

Cloud of Daggers deals damage to enemies “when it enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there.”

Just to be clear, if I cast this spell, they take damage right away because their now in the spells area, then they again take damage upon their turn beginning, correct? It triggers twice before they really get to act?

Does it also double trigger like this when a foe is forced into the area?
    A297: No, they do not take damage when you cast the spell. In that case they've not entered the AoE nor have they started their turn within the AoE. They do take damage if they're forced into the AoE any time after the spell is cast.

EDIT: Note the wording, "...for the first time on a turn...". That means that if you force them into the AoE, then drag them back out and force them into it again they only take the damage once.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-05-23 at 12:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A297:
    I guess I’m confused then. Is “entering an area” defined somewhere? How is the spell being dropped on your head different from being forced into it?
    ...Unless she's cute.

17. - Top - End - #887

BarbarianGuy

I guess I’m confused then. Is “entering an area” defined somewhere? How is the spell being dropped on your head different from being forced into it?
    R297: It’s the difference between entering a house or having the house built around you. The end result is the same, but how you got there is different.

In game meta it’s there to cut down on spell abuse.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

R297

So then there is no RAW answer, it seems? I looked at a few other Wall and Cloud spells and they all act slightly differently. The best I can find supporting no initial damage is Wall of Fire specifically includes an initial damage clause. On the other hand, Stinking Cloud only triggers when they start their turn in the area.

I still believe both readings are valid, RAW. I’m open to more evidence or any actual rules. As far as abuse, do we just mean “20 damage is a lot” or is there something actually abusable enabled by allowing initial damage?
    ...Unless she's cute.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Firbolg in the Playground

R297

So then there is no RAW answer, it seems? I looked at a few other Wall and Cloud spells and they all act slightly differently. The best I can find supporting no initial damage is Wall of Fire specifically includes an initial damage clause. On the other hand, Stinking Cloud only triggers when they start their turn in the area.

I still believe both readings are valid, RAW. I’m open to more evidence or any actual rules. As far as abuse, do we just mean “20 damage is a lot” or is there something actually abusable enabled by allowing initial damage?
    For further evidence, Sage Advice has this to say:

"Our design intent for such spells is this: a creature enters the area of effect when the creature passes into it. Creating the area of effect on the creature or moving it onto the creature doesn't count. If the creature is still in the area at the start of its turn, it is subjected to the area’s effect. [...]

In summary, a spell like moonbeam affects a creature when the creature passes into the spell’s area of effect and when the creature starts its turn there. You’re essentially creating a hazard on the battlefield.
    "
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-23 at 02:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

20. - Top - End - #890

BarbarianGuy

R297

R297: When talking about spells it's important to remember that they're always an exception to the general rules. The spell description tells you exactly how the spell works. If the spell has any relation to another spell, and/or game feature and/or game mechanic (etc.) it'll tell you how they interact.

So each spell description is literally the RAW for that spell.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    So each spell description is literally the RAW for that spell.
    Agreed, and this question mostly centered around “does an AoE appearing on space you occupy count as you “entering” that area?” I believe the RAI is pretty clear.

That said, I asked in a RAW thread, hoping for clarification. It seems there is none, so I’ve spoken with my players, explained the issue and we came to a solution together (We went with RAI, for what it’s worth).

I appreciate everyone’s efforts and time here.
    Last edited by Koury; 2019-05-23 at 08:41 PM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

The rules can't define every term used in the rules, because then you'd need to define the terms used in the definitions. At some point, you have to go by what the words ordinarily mean. And "enter" does not ordinarily mean "stay in the same place while something happens there".
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And "enter" does not ordinarily mean "stay in the same place while something happens there".
    It doesn’t have to mean anything more than normal for the question to be valid. If you are in an empty pool that is magically filled with water, most people would say yes when asked if you entered the water.

If someone is placed in the AoE through pretty much any other means it would trigger, and excluding on-cast is unintuitive. If you spend half a percent of half a second in the area you take damage at all other times. That’s likely why this very question has been asked enough that the Sage had to clarify the RAI.
    ...Unless she's cute.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

They would?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Re: Q 297 I respectfully suggest that this topic is probably worthy of its own thread. It's no longer simple RAW.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

26. - Top - End - #896
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q298. Can True Seeing see through Fog Cloud?

27. - Top - End - #897
    Orc in the Playground

A298 No. The Monster Manual description of Truesight reads:
    A creature with truesight can, out to a specific range, see in normal and magical darkness, see invisible creatures and objects, automatically detect visual illusions and succeed on saving throws against them, and perceives the original form of a shapechanger or a creature that is transformed by magic. Furthermore, the creature can see into the Ethereal Plane.
    Fog cloud isn't normal or magical darkness, does not make creatures and objects invisible, and is not an illusion: it's a heavily obscured area.

28. - Top - End - #898

BarbarianGuy

R298: Neither the spells description nor the description of Truesight state that they can see through areas that are heavily obscured nor negate the Blinded condition.

But Blindsight can.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-05-26 at 09:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #899

DruidGuy

Q299. Is the Mind Flayer’s Mind Blast blocked by total cover? Per the “Areas of Effect” rules in the PHB, it clearly would be blocked if it was a spell, but I cannot find text indicating whether non-spell abilities follow the same rules.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q300
    If eldrich knights a and b both use weapon bond to bond to the same weapon, which a is currently wielding, can eldrich knight b use a bonus action to teleport it into his hand? I’m mostly curious how this interacts with the portion of the weapon bond feature that prevents A from being disarmed while not incapacitated.
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.