New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q34

Say I have a +2 shield and the Shield Master feat. Do I add +2 to Dex saves (against single-target spells) or +4?

Powers &8^]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

Planetar

A34
    Yes. Edited for clarity, you add the AC bonus provided by the shield. A +2 Shield procides a +4 Bonus to AC.

If you aren't incapacitated, you can add your shield's AC bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you.

While holding this shield you have a bonus to AC determined by the shields rarity. This bonus is in addition to the shield's normal bonus to AC.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-07-30 at 04:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

A 34 (To clarify since the previous poster answered 'yes' to an either/or question, with a +2 shield Shield Master lets you add +4 to dex saves, since the shield is giving you a total AC bonus of +4).

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A28 Yes you can.

Since they occur during other peoples turns, spells Cast as Reactions do not have the same stipulations/restrictions as Spells Cast through Bonus Actions.
    Your answer is correct but the reasoning is not. The rule preventing the casting of a leveled spell in the same turn you cast a bonus action spell is bonus action spell only. Spells cast as reactions do not affect your ability to cast leveled spells on your turn even if you cast them on your turn (this is possible as one example you can cast shield to defend yourself if you provoke an opportunity attack from walking away from an enemy and that would be on your turn and then you can cast fireball in that same turn if you wanted to).

Note that the bonus action spell rule affects all spells that turn so while you can cast shield, cure wounds, action surge: cure wounds as a fighter/cleric/wizard if you cast a healing word in there you could not cast shield or cure wounds that turn including the action surge.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Q 35

How do effects that increase/decrease speed work on creatures with multiple speeds? Do they affect only walking speed or is the increase/decrease applied to all speeds?Say a creature with walking speed 30 flying speed 60 gets hit with Ray of Frost, is their speed now 20 walking 50 flying?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    Q 35

How do effects that increase/decrease speed work on creatures with multiple speeds? Do they affect only walking speed or is the increase/decrease applied to all speeds?Say a creature with walking speed 30 flying speed 60 gets hit with Ray of Frost, is their speed now 20 walking 50 flying?
    A35 The effect affects all forms of a creatures speed unless the description says otherwise.

Examples:

Boots of Speed, “…the boots double your walking speed…”. No other form of speed that the creature has is affected by the boots.

Ray of Frost: “…and its speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.” All forms of the creatures speed are affected.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-08-04 at 08:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A35 The effect affects all forms of a creatures speed unless the description says otherwise.

Examples:

Boots of Speed, “…the boots double your walking speed…”. No other form of speed that the creature has is affected by the boots.
    What if you have a flying speed that is defined as equal to your walking speed, like Winged Boots? Does the wearer's flying speed increase if their walking speed increases?

8. - Top - End - #98

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    What if you have a flying speed that is defined as equal to your walking speed, like Winged Boots? Does the wearer's flying speed increase if their walking speed increases?
    R35 Yes, because that magic item explicitly ties the two together.

9. - Top - End - #99

Q 36
    Wayfinder's Guide to pathfinder, p.70. Warforged.
    Can an envoy warforged select Constitution as one of their two +1 ability scores from their Ability Score Increase feature? Specifically such that the Warforged has a net +3 Constitution and +1 [Any other]?

I had thought there was a specific rule that prevented this, but I cannot find it.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by AugustNights View Post
    Q 36
    Wayfinder's Guide to pathfinder, p.70. Warforged.
    Can an envoy warforged select Constitution as one of their two +1 ability scores from their Ability Score Increase feature? Specifically such that the Warforged has a net +3 Constitution and +1 [Any other]?

I had thought there was a specific rule that prevented this, but I cannot find it.
    A36
    I do not know if anything has changed recently, but Warforged Racial Bonus is a +1 Con, and Envoy Model allow two different ability scores (of which one may be Con) to be increased by +1.

11. - Top - End - #101

I missread the Warforged's base Ability, thank you for the clarity!
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2018-08-05 at 04:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q37
    aIf a halfling gets swallowed by a giant frog, can the halfling grab the frog to immobilize it?
    bCould the same swallowed creature shove the creature that swallowed it?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #103

BarbarianGuy

Q37
    aIf a halfling gets swallowed by a giant frog, can the halfling grab the frog to immobilize it?
    bCould the same swallowed creature shove the creature that swallowed it?
    A37a Whilst swallowed you’re blind and restrained. So almost anything you do is going to be at disadvantage. That being said the RAW for the Swallow action by the Giant Frog, the RAW for Grappling, the RAW for the restrained nor blind conditions negate each other.

So…RAW it can be done, but common sense dictates that it cannot. Expect such a severe edge case to be shot down by any and all DMs, unless you know something about the internal anatomy of a Giant Frog that we don’t…

A37b Almost the same RAW above, with the same limitations, but common sense is more forgiving on this one because having a small creature inside a medium creature that’s trying to unbalance the medium creature is at least physically possible.

So…RAW this can be done, and I’d think that any and all DMs would at least consider this as a possible action that the snack, er...halfling could take.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Q38

Does the extra damage from Brute Force (from UA Fighter subclass Brute) apply to ranged weapons?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

15. - Top - End - #105

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Q38

Does the extra damage from Brute Force (from UA Fighter subclass Brute) apply to ranged weapons?
    A38 Yes it does. It says “weapon” without specifying “melee” or “ranged” so it includes both.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Q39

Does Action Surge and Extra Attack stack,?

Can a 5th level+ Fighter do four attacks in one round?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

17. - Top - End - #107

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Q39

Does Action Surge and Extra Attack stack,?

Can a 5th level+ Fighter do four attacks in one round?
    A39 yes, they stack.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A39 yes, they stack.

WOO HOO!

Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Colossus in the Playground

Q 40

By strictest raw since sleep inflicts unconsciousness, and elves and half elves are immune to being put through sleep through magic, does that mean elves and half elves cannot be fireballed to below 1 hp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Q 40

By strictest raw since sleep inflicts unconsciousness, and elves and half elves are immune to being put through sleep through magic, does that mean elves and half elves cannot be fireballed to below 1 hp?
    A 40 No, on a couple counts. First off, unconsciousness is not the same thing as sleep (in fact, there isn't any strict mechanical definition of sleep in 5e, just the logical conclusion that you're unconscious while you're asleep). Secondly, when a fireball reduces you to 0 HP, the spell doesn't put you to sleep, the spell reduces you to 0 HP and then being at 0 HP makes you go unconscious.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Q41

Male Steeder (Out of the Abyss) has a Leap action. Is this a standard action, or a Move action replacement? Can a Druid shape into it then also leap that turn?
    Last edited by Koury; 2018-08-09 at 02:25 AM.
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

Planetar

Q41

Male Steeder (Out of the Abyss) has a Leap action. Is this a standard action, or a Move action replacement? Can a Druid shape into it then also leap that turn?
    A41 - Partial There is no such thing in 5E as a Standard Action nor Move Action. A creature can take one action per turn unless they have some means of making multiple actions, i.e Haste, or Action Surge.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-08-11 at 06:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Q41

A 41 There are no move actions (or standard actions, for that matter). Movement is something you can do on your turn, in addition to an action and possible bonus action or reaction.

That said, if the Leap ability is in the Actions portion of the stat block, it's an action (and thus would conflict if the druid used his action to wildshape). A Circle of the Moon druid uses his bonus action to wildshape, and thus there are no conflicts.

If the Leap ability is not in the section labeled Actions, then it's a passive trait that activates without an action (unless it says otherwise).

I don't have the stat block, so I can't say definitively.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 042
    Can a cleric with the Forge Domain use Artisan's Blessing to create a Spellbook, complete with inscribed spells?

25. - Top - End - #115

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ogun View Post
    Q 042
    Can a cleric with the Forge Domain use Artisan's Blessing to create a Spellbook, complete with inscribed spells?
    A42: This is really going to depend on your DM but strict RAW would allow you to duplicate an existing spellbook (that contains metal) that's worth less than 100 GP. But the game doesn't give any guidance on how to determine the value of a spellbook. (Rough Cost: Each spell inscribed takes 50 GP per spell level, half that amount if they're from your chosen school of magic.)

You could use that channel divinity feature to create a blank spellbook, say with a simple metal lock. These costs 50 GP.

RAW there's nothing in the game that states that a spellbook is magical. If it contains say a Glyph of Warding then it would register as magical, but otherwise it's just a book, collection of paper, etc. that contain writings made with fine inks.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-08-09 at 04:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q41

A41

The "Leap" of the OotA Steeders, both Male and Female, uses "all its movement", so no action required, only all your movement for the turn (provided that it's speed is at least 30 feet).

This versions of Steeders are beasts, so a Druid, any druid, can use it's action or bonus action (Moon Druid) to take the form of a Steeder and uses its movement to "Leap".

But just for you to know, the "most recent" Steeder, releasead as a monster entry in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, is a "monstrosity", and so impossible to became by Wild Shape. You should check with your DM with version is avaliable for your game.

Also, the rule of the "Leap" in MToF (called Extraordinary Leap) is different: It says that the long jump distance of the Steeder is tripled, so for every foot of it's walking speed that it spends on the jump allows it to move 3 feet. Both Male and Female have 30 feet walking speed.
    Last edited by Arvin Natsuko; 2018-08-11 at 05:09 PM.
    We are everywhere.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 43
    If an ally is already frightened, and my 10th level paladin (who has aura of courage) moves within 10' of said ally, does my ally remain frightened (because he was already frightened), does aura of courage suppress the effect while I am within 10' of them and conscious, or does it nullify it?
    Last edited by Corran; 2018-08-15 at 11:34 AM.
    Hacks!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 44 I recall that a sage advice clarifying that a naturally blind creature that a creature can effectively see within its blindsight radius, but would this mean that an Intellect Devourer is subject to a Medusa's petryfying gaze?

Spoiler: tangential minutiae
    Show
    (Assuming that naturally blind creatures can't 'see' at all stops an Intellect Devourer from using its Devour Intellect power, as it must target a creature it can see)
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #119

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 43
    If an ally is already frightened, and my 10th level paladin (who has aura of courage) moves within 10' of said ally, does my ally remain frightened (because he was already frightened) or does aura of courage suppress the effect while I am within 10' of them and conscious?
    A 43 RAW the Aura of Courage has no effect on an already frightened creature. RAI in the Aura of Courage suspends the frightened condition while the creature is in its area: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...60204459630592

EDIT: Some of you may note in the tweet Jeremy Crawford states that the RAW are "unclear". This is a classic example of him not wanting to admit that the text of the rules is incorrect. RAW is clear because it says nothing about pre-existing conditions. But when this was brought to his attention instead of saying, "My Bad" he backpedals into "RAI" territory and (now) clearly indicates that pre-existing conditions are affected.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-08-15 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Link formatting. Clarification.

30. - Top - End - #120

BarbarianGuy

Q 44 I recall that a sage advice clarifying that a naturally blind creature that a creature can effectively see within its blindsight radius, but would this mean that an Intellect Devourer is subject to a Medusa's petryfying gaze?

Spoiler: tangential minutiae
    Show
    (Assuming that naturally blind creatures can't 'see' at all stops an Intellect Devourer from using its Devour Intellect power, as it must target a creature it can see)
    A 44 RAW the Intellect Devourer is affected by the Medusa's gaze. D&D is a game of exceptions, and in this case the Medusa's gaze make no exception for the blindsight trait.