New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1444
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tychris' Tomb of Annihilation IC

"Right. Right. More fire then." Darion nodded his approval and bolted another mutant ape zombie.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[24] Fire Bolt vs south girralonalonaliongr
    (2d10)[10] fire damage

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ettin in the Playground

Aleandrae

Striding forward a few paces, Aleandrae nocked and loosed an arrow at one of the approaching undead. "Vorn, get ready to hit the first one that gets close to you!" she called out to the construct.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Firing an arrow at the ghoul with the blue dot: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]

And then Vorn moves forward and holds an action to attack the first ghoul that gets near him.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ettin in the Playground

Wreck of the Star Goddess
    Day 56

Regrouping with the others on the ground, Srirak and Brother croc waited for the opportune moment to strike. Peeling out from amidst the smoky plume of Lyndal's second fireball the two separated ghoul packs converged on the now clumped ground party. Dodging and weaving past the hail of arrows from the survivors above and explorers below the ghouls encircled the defensive positioning beneath the shadow of the broken mast. Shield raised on high the Lizardfolk Shaman intoned a sliver of Semuanya's supernatural power and the shadow of reptilian death fell over the vast majority of the slavering monsters. Their eyes glowed bright yellow for the briefest of moments as their frenzied sprint retained all its momentum but drastically switched course, turned by the power of the divine, and repulsed instantly away from Srirak. Two of the ghouls remained determined in their bloodlust and leaped into the midst of the party. The easternmost assailant was cut short by the waiting jaws of Brother Croc, who ripped the undead creature down, and held it still in a bone-crushing vise-like grip long enough for Vorn to step on its upper half and render it into rotting ruby paste.

Up above with the lone Girallon Zombie the abomination roared its challenge and slammed its head down on Nhar, crushing the guards pitted chainmail as it sunk its teeth straight through his chest, and swallowed a chunk of his chest and upper body. Its remaining four arms were a blur of violence, swinging waxen melting flesh, charred bone, and burnt exposed bone. The lower pair grabbed Brax and ripped him in twain, casting him to the side even as its upper left arm slapped back Veliod, and its upper right arm grabbed a hold of Siward's shield arm but failed to meaningfully behoove the barbarian amidst their struggle. Throwing herself behind a fallen beam, Captain Bravewing held her rapier close, and steadied it to ram into the zombie once she had an opening.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Srirak turns 8 of the 10 ghouls. I have marked them with a little scared man on them. The Girallon zombie kills two of the guards and fails to grapple Siward.

Vorn and Brother Croc wombo combo one ghoul to death. You're all up again.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ettin in the Playground

Siward

Horrified that the zombie had ignored him in favor of the spent crew, Siward launched himself at the flailing mass of undead limbs that was the remaining girallon. His shield lashed out at the creature's knees, seeking to buckle them before unleashing a flurry of divinely-empowered steel.

Show
    If SIward's Shield Bash fails he will recklessly attack.

Shield bash athletics: (1d20+7)[8]
    Advantage: (1d20+7)[8]

Attack 1: (1d20+7)[27]
    Advantage: (1d20+7)[17]

Damage: (1d8+6)[10]
    Radiant Damage: (1d6+2)[3]

Attack 2: (1d20+7)[14]
    Advantage: (1d20+7)[16]

Damage: (1d8+6)[9]

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ettin in the Playground

Wreck of the Star Goddess
    Day 56

Heavenly sword in hand, Siward’s aim was true, and he nearly tumbled over the crumbling mast of the burning Star Goddess as his blade beheaded the four armed zombie and cast its tattered body to the shambles of jungle below. Broken, dispersed, and sent to rout the Ghouls of Ras Nsi continued to scatter with the humid winds of Chult. Chased by fire and steel many fell but a scant few slithered away beneath the afternoon sun. With blessed rain and swift footing the party collected and salvaged what supplies they could from the surrounding wreckage. Captain Bravewing for her part performed a parting ceremony for her fallen crewmates, burning parts of their ensemble, and blowing the ashes to the heavens above.

Spoiler: Loot and Combat End
    Show

Victory Get. You manage to salvage from the wreckage of this ships cargo and scattered gear enough materials to make an Explorer’s Pack and a Priest’s Pack.

Explorer’s Pack: Includes a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.
    Priest’s Pack: Includes a backpack, a blanket, 10 candles, a tinderbox, an alms box, 2 blocks of incense, a censer, vestments, 2 days of rations, and a waterskin

░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ettin in the Playground

The Heart of Ubtao
    Day 63

Supplies gathered from the savaged airship the explorers cut their way north east with the beleaguered dregs of the crew that remained. At first they were quite burdensome, slow to maneuver through the meandering jungle floor, and needed to stop frequently. But over the days they regained their strength, bit by bit, and were finally keeping ample pace with the party through rocky plateau and sloshing mire. On the second day of travel Aleandrae received a message from Gertrude via Sending "The Merchant Princess Jessamine has perished. The Death Curse has claimed her. The case of your unlawful assassination is unfortunately in Jobal's favor. I'm Sorry." Though stricken with grave news on the reception they'd receive back in Port Nyanzaru the party was heralded by the distant visage of the Heart of Ubtao floating over their charted path. Circling around the outskirts of the Aldani Basin they found themselves deeper and deeper within undead infested territory, the only natural wildlife in view were vicious survivors, and either densely packed predators or creatures of brobdingnagian size. At last they came upon the immediate area of their intended target.

A massive chunk of earth and rock torn from the earth drifts over the swampy forest, about a hundred feet above the ground. A petrified tree towers above the stone, with its stone roots protruding from the bottom. Between the shape of the rock and the branching of the tree’s limbs, it creates the impression of a gigantic stone heart hanging in the sky. The impression is only made more gruesome by the red liquid dripping from the roots.

You see a cave mouth in the side of the slowly rotating “heart,” and a staircase winding from the cave up to the flattened top where the petrified tree stands. The staircase definitely isn’t natural; it was carved with tools into the rock. Standing upon the stairs looking down at you all is an elven woman in dark robes billowing with the wind.

Spoiler: The Heart of Ubtao Image
    Show

Spoiler: The Elven Woman
    Show

Beneath the levitating earth mote was a vine covered statue of a Chultan King, his spears butt planted firm into the ground by his left foot, and his right hand lifted up to the sky as if prepared to catch something in the shadow of this massive landmass. A small graveyard of bones was piled around it, the obscured slithering of life detectable just beneath the cadaver ripe surface, and seven ape-like figures danced around it. Some of them threw more offerings upon the shrine, others swung off of the spears head by their long tails, and all of them ceased their reverie at the sight of the party. Standing roughly five feet tall the monkeys bare their sharp teeth and growl or whoop softly but a hush falls over them at the sight of Rosie and the Monkward. They begin to slap each others shoulders and chests, pointing at the flying pets, and hooting as they slowly approached the party with curious wary expressions.

Spoiler: The Monkeys
    Show

Last edited by Tychris1; 2020-08-20 at 10:48 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Bugbear in the Playground

Atuar took a puff of his Chult weed before truly taking in the view. Frankly is was groovy as all hell, and Atuar couldn't quite understand how a petrified tree could land so high in the air. Aside from that Atuar looked at the various actions of the flying monkeys, they didn't appear to be zombies but it was hard to tell for sure.

"Those monkeys don't look right, don't look undead either though, best to be weary."
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ettin in the Playground

The Heart of Ubtao
    Day 63

As the strange monkeys approached the party, Aleandrae distinctly remembered their abhorrent origins as Su-Monsters, and Lyndal discouraged their existence with a swift gust of dragon's fire. The strange Elven Woman above watched impassively, only noting at Siward's behest that they did not belong to her, and so they burned quite brightly. "Who are you all?" She shouted down "State your intentions." She listened in kind to each of their names, with heavy embellishment from Siward, and upon their near-immediate declaration of intending upon the Death Curse, she had set to motion. Pulling forth a piece of paper she burned it within her grasp, sending the swirling flaming scraps into the air, circling round and round each other, and with the swirling of her hands they manifested a glowing blue power between them. Apparating before the party on the floor were several circling stones in an equal measure with their own volatile field of arcane energy. "Please only send up your Key Speakers for this endeavor, my home can only house so many."

Deciding to leave behind the crew of the Star Goddess plus their two guides, Darion reasoned against jumping into strange magic woman's holes but rather looting the surface level scorched monstrous monkey shrine, and the remaining 6 settled on going through. After making sure Siward didn't burn up when coming through the other side the rest followed suit swiftly. As Jack at last leapt past the magical threshold she found herself at the steps of a staircase that seemed smooth and untouched by mortal feet for many generations. "From up here, you can see so much of the beauty... oh I have an idea!" She rushed up the stairs sliding past the Pirate to sit beneath the shade of a petrified tree. "I am Valindra Shadowmantle. Arcane savant at your service. Please do come inside so we may speak properly without all that yelling."

Stepping past the precipice of the carved cave mouth they found themselves in an impromptu office. This cave is musty and dimly lit by daylight filtering down through the hollow, petrified tree trunk 20 feet above. A pool of dirty rainwater occupies the central 20 feet of the floor, between natural pillars formed by the roots of the petrified tree. Three tall bookcases stand against the wall to the right of the cave entrance. A desk and several wooden crates stand against the left-hand wall. Opposite the entrance are two closed doorways into smaller chambers and, between them, a large iron cage. Held within the cage was a strange dwarf sized green creature and a pale bearded man. The room reeked of lightly burning woodsmoke.

Spoiler: The Man and Companion
    Show

"Pardon the mess I've been a bit preoccupied with handling these two interloping thieves." Valindra stated as she sat by her desk and began to process through papers "Now you said you wish to stop the Death Curse? I'm highly interested. I've come to Chult in search of this Death Curse. My employers are quite invested in it's removal but I think destroying it is a measure reserved as a last resort. It's magics are unique! At a scale we have never seen before. I've set myself on trying to contain this Death Curse to a more limited area of effect where it can be safely and properly studied."

"Yes we've in search of the Forgotten City of Omu! But before we continue I've a few questions for your prisoner if you would grant me such a boon." Siward was answered with a dispassionate wave of the hand and so set on the cage. "I have but one question. Are you Artus Cimber?"

The man groggily shook awake as the reptilian folk took a defensive position over him. "Never heard of him."

Rattling the bars of the cage with otherworldly fury, Siward interrogated him further, eliciting a shrug of approval from the now revealed Artus Cimber "A lot of people are looking for you. It would amuse me to no end watching them fight over you, save that your daughter also wanders in search of a lineage that looks regrettable." Apparently he took offense to the notion that he had a child of any kind and prepared to jam a finger at Siward's chest. The salted Reaver prepared for the move and snatched at the finger with the grip of a tiger. But it was as if the brute of a man were trying to wrestle a glacier. So intense a cold he had never experienced his whole life made only more unbearable when he actually made contact with the man and felt his fingers go numb. He maintained a vice like grip on the finger for several agonizing moments before they both let go and nursed their respective wounds. The strange lizard creature moving to Artus' side to lay hands upon him and shine him with blessed healing.

"Look I don't have no daughter. I don't know what you heard but she's either mistaken or lying. And yes you're right a lot of bad people are after me."

Sufficiently satisfied Siward moved on to the other cellmate but found communications stunted. The cave began to reek of a sizzling salted ham at just the right frequency, a sweet sacharrine scent, and then the pungent smell of a fresh lemony aroma. Though he could not communicate verbally it seemed the small dinosaur folk was capable of pheromonal communique. Raising his fingers to answer questions the green stranger informed Siward that though they was a newer companion to Artus Cimber on arriving to Chult they considered him a true friend.

Watching the scene unfold, Valindra Shadowmantle kicked her feet up onto the table, knocking her black boots together "Now if what you say is true, why should I give over this wanted man to you all? It seems like I have all the cards." After brief negotiations they settled on returning to the Heart of Ubtao in one weeks time after Lady Shadowmantle has run a gamut of arcane experiments on Artus Cimber for testing purposes on his mythical "Ring of Winter". During discussions Aleandrae has penned down a wide swathe of the land around the Aldani Basin and notes a strange stone structure in the distance! Some kind of ruin or dungeon? It tittilates the back of the blue haired Bard's mind. The distance needed to reach the ruins they surmise will corroborate nicely with the time frame given for these experiments. After brief inspection of the Petrified Tree (With minor bat home ownership rights violated by Siward and small scale interviewing by Atuar) they figure something is amiss in the cave below. Their suspicions are quite quickly confirmed by the smell of rotting flesh permeating the air as they return to Valindra to deliver their plan and find her electrocuting Artus and his companion.

"Oh you know, I haven't bathed in quite some time." She remarked half heartedly as her head turned rigidly over her shoulder to leer back at the assembled ensemble of adventurers. At Atuar's indication that there lurked foul creatures behind one of the doors, Siward drew forth his righteous sword, awash with divine power, and kicked open the wooden door as Srirak intoned a powerful prayer to Semuanya. Though Valindra stood her ground and didn't take the first move she did quickly wag her finger and intone condescendingly "No no no, not in my house." as Atuar tried to ensorcell Jack's arrows with purifying flame. The Lizard God of Survival wrought forth a terrible hissing choir of life's brutal grip and the sound of fleeing panicking fleshy bodies behind the door answered the Barbarians suspicions even as he wrenched the door open and plunged his blade into Valindra's chest. A staggering flash of light erupted from the direct impact of his holy impetus, the tool of the gods charged with singleminded fury that stung to behold, and he plunged it in further as he felt his steel sink into pliant flesh. Only, then Valindra stood before him, with an expression of utter annoyance, and with callous disregard for Srirak's prayer peeled away the illusion of her guise of life and revealed a terrifying withered husk beneath.

Spoiler: Valindra Shadowmantle
    Show

Immediately releasing the grip on his sword, Siward stumbled on the words amidst all consuming terror "Ohwemadeamistake." The battled tested iron clattered to the ground in punctuation of that statement as her body seemed to reject the weapon and leave no sign of damage behind but the light singing of divine energy. Lyndal, with a level of experience in assauging the egos of entities with intense arcane power and seemingly infinite age for malice (For she was quite certain that the dessicated High Elf woman before her counted themselves among the ranks of Liches) quickly cut in, hands outstretched in a sign of peace, and remarked in their shared native tongue of Elven "Please spare us, he's an idiot."

Valindra guffawed, picking up the sword off the ground, and handing it to the trembling Siward (whilst gripping the edge of it with enough tension that it would surely slit the flesh of any mortal to wield such a bade). "Oh of course. One wielder of the art to another I'm familiar with all those dashing hero types eager to plunge their swords into whatever potential hole is before them. It's no concern to me I'm just glad we've come to a proper understanding!" She responded in Elven and the two ladies shared an uneasy joy that seemed to signal the Lich's unwillingness to start ripping people apart with magic.

"I owe you a boon, Lady Shadowmantle, and I deeply apologize. Though I must ask why someone of your unholy affliction," "I prefer Arcane Accomplishment." "You're right that's very mortal centric of me, why is someone of your status taking orders from someone else?"
    "Consider your apology accepted though if I cannot collect from you I will call upon another Alfson down your line. And it's as you seafolk like to say there is always a bigger fish. The Red Wizards pay a high price and are interested in a guiding hand to ensure proper execution. At the very least we've been in contact with each other long enough for me to Sending any of you. I'll be in touch as I hope this relationship will bear fruit in curtailing the worst of the Death Curse and your inevitable plunge into the underground depths of Omu in search of its origins. Now if you need arcane assistance to reach the ground once more I would happily provide but would need a day to prepare. Any other services I would also be willing to satisfy given some time to prepare."

The six of them looked amongst each other nervously then back to Siward.

"No I think we'll just jump down. Thank you for your hospitality though." Siward stated as he slowly left, leaving Artus Cimber impotently fuming at the sight of them willingly cahorting with a Lich, and they all piled onto Siward's back before leaping well over a hundred feet down into the soft land below. Sadly no treasure was looted from the remains despite Darion's best most scrupulous efforts and once a bevy of healing spells were dispensed with upon Siward the returning party informed the others of their transpiring incident and decision.

The captain of the Star Goddess, Thassilandra Bravewing, looked rather putoff when Siward noted their destination of a round trip weeks journey through a ruin. "While I appreciate you saving my men it's my responsibility to get them to safety. I can't rightly risk leading them into some dangerous abandoned ruin even in the company of ones as skilled as yourself if we're only going to be heading in one big circle. I've a ship to replace, insurance to claim, and some horrible back pain to sort out."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ettin in the Playground

Aleandrae

"So," Aleandrae began quietly, the needs of the stranded airship sailors eclipsed in her mind by what had just occurred. "Valindra Shadowmantle," she hissed, adding an abyssal epithet and dropping her voice so that the sailors could not hear her. No need to panic them. "We are in the big leagues now, as they say in Waterdeep. I don't know about you all, but I really am not enamored of being under the eye of a lich, however polite she may be."

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's a bit late for that now, I'm afraid. We've got her attention after that mess whether we like it or not. And that's besides that fact that she's got Artus Cimber in her grasp, I really would like to talk to Xandala again. It was odd he denied having a daughter. I should be terribly offended if I was her." Lyn gave Aleandrae a conciliatory peck on the forehead.

"Anyway, we promised to take these people to Kir Sabal, so I think that's what we should do. I doubt a few days extra absence would mean much to a lich." She shrugged as she made her proposal that they keep their word to the beleaguered airship crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ettin in the Playground

Siward

Pausing to stretch his ravaged calves, Siward nodded at Lyndal's points.

"Indeed, our apologies Captain. The encounter with so potent a foe had me somewhat out of sorts - we will of course deliver you to civilization before delving any more forgotten ruins."

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ettin in the Playground

Aleandrae

"Well, I could always cast a Sending spell to tell her we found him," the Bard suggested.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ettin in the Playground

Ataaz Muhahah
    Day 70

Spoiler: Aleandrae's Brief Sending Discourse with Xandala
    Show

A: "Found your dad. Held captive by a lich? Unsure how to proceed as she can squash us. You have 25 words to respond."
    X: “Where? Can polymorph or be powerfully invisible. Try breakout? Is he hurt? At Basin. Inete and Summerwise say hi. Nice to hear a friendly voice.”
    A: "Did not seem hurt. Not sure you won't do something dumb. Will think about sharing the information in the future. Will contact you again soon."
    X: “I don’t like this but fine. So long as he’s safe. As safe as one can be under scrutiny of a Lich. Sending me soon.”

With their supplies gathered and morale vaguely restored, the seven heroes cut through the sickly pallid overgrowth of the jungle, and rapidly worked their way to the land bridge Ataaz Muhahah. The most well known crossing over the River Olung and a clear path to the mysterious isolated establishment of Kir Sabal. More of the strange multi-armed zombies seemed to shadow in the step of the rather large and cumbersome party but when given the slightest sign of trouble scattered like vermin in the light. Strange twisting vines, branches soaked in blood, and gnarled tugging roots given animate life mark the edges of this cursed section of the jungle that then smooth out into the more vibrant but no less deadly flora more visible around Port Nyanzaru. Cresting over a hill the prize is in sight, a great masterfully crafted stone bridge suspended a hundred feet over the River Olung, and overgrown with life. The Monkey Bridge, Salida gives it's name in a small breath of almost reverence, more respect than she's given to most living things, and the name for it becomes self evident. Hundreds of monkeys hang off the bridge, dangling on its underside by their tails, and perching on its stalwart walls throughout the length and breadth of the stone monument. The monkeys are a mix of living monkeys and ancient carvings that are carved out of the same stone of the bridge. Most of the carvings have been damaged by time and the elements, but the skilled artistry remains apparent in their lifelike grimaces and posturing.

The living monkeys chatter and shriek continually, and the gorge echoes with the sound of their incessant excitable cries. Occasionally, the echoes from up and down the gorge overlap in a way that transforms the cacophony into haughty, gloating overwhelming laughter like the bellowing of a primordial god. When that happens, the terrified monkeys fall silent for several minutes as the “laughter” dies away before resuming their chatter and beginning the absurd cycle once more. Symbolic mazes are carved prominently onto the bridge and its supports though many of these embellishments have been obscured with lichen and moss growing and flowing through them. The pulsing vibrant green veins of Chult. A stone shrine stands at the midpoint of the bridge. It consists of an imposing statue of a Chultan warrior wearing a war mask, carved in the face of a snarling jaguar with fangs bared, and hunkered down like a panther ready to pounce with Ykwla outstretched and a massive stone shield held tightly near the knee and breast. Like the monkeys elsewhere on the bridge, the carving is highly stylized and eerily lifelike in its artistry though time has faired it a far gentler fate with only a cloak of lichen draped over its shoulders before rolling down its back. Bright gems flash in its eye sockets, twinkling to match the sheen of the finest diamonds, and yet almost appear... sad? Dispondent?

A human skeleton lies crumpled near the statue’s feet. Several of its bones are obviously broken, but it’s impossible tell whether these injuries happened while the person was alive or were caused by scavengers after death. Part of the bridge has fallen away, leaving a 20-foot gap. The stone at either edge looks crumbly and unsafe. Azaka stands at the edge of the bridge, putting her hand over her eyes as she scans towards the end, and upon noticing the collapsed section of bridge mutters "Fuck...."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #1094

Atuar looked concerned at Azaka, then at the imposing statue at the bridges center. Atuar took a swig of tea from his waterskin before recalling what the statue. Supposedly this tea would help uncloud his minds eye, but only time will tell how effective this serum will be.

"Oh I remember this."
    he said perhaps a tad louder than intended.

"This is a statue of Ubtao, a stone guardian left to defend the bridge and keep away people who don’t pay the proper obeisance. The required homage involves placing a fingertip at the center of one of the bridge’s mazelike carvings and tracing an unbroken path past the statue."

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ettin in the Playground

Siward

Casting an inquisitive glance between Atuar and the bridge's stone guardian, Siward crouched down to examine the beginnings of the bridge mazes.

"And if we leave the maze's path once beyond the statue, what then? I doubt we'll manage to bridge the gap there if our backs are bent in homage the whole way."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

Aleandrae

"Uh..." Aleandrae paused at the start of the bridge and stood looking over everything, thinking...

Show
    Intelligence! (1d20+4)[13]

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Ettin in the Playground

Ataaz Muhahah
    Day 70

With Aleandrae leading the way each in turn placed a hand upon the lichen infested wall one after the other following in the traces of their infernally inspired bard and she passed beneath the somber gaze of the hunter's shrine unceremoniously. The process of tracing through touch alone through the maze continued rather quietly from one passing hand to the next until Jack finished her tracing with Darion and Srirak still trailing behind. The moment the salty booze ridden Pirate took one step beyond the threshold of the shrine it began to move, lichen moss cloak cast aside without effort, dust flaking in a shuddering panicked flee from the groan of stone grinding and breaking, and ancient limbs grew animate in the midst of the monkey's bridge. Stone yklwa held in one hand and shield held proudly the statue looked down at the Pirate with both gemstone eyes glowing brilliantly as it now stood at its commanding full height over its bridge charge. Jack was face to face with a stone speartip the size of her head mere inches from her own.

Spoiler: Initiative!
    Show

The Shrine Guardian rolled terribly on its initiative so everyone gets to act before it does.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ettin in the Playground

Aleandrae

"Watch out, it's awake!" Aleandrae called out the obvious to the others. Quickly, she cast a spell on the statue, hoping to do it some harm.

Show
    Casting Shatter for (3d8)[15] thunder damage.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground

Siward

Suddenly face to face with an angry divine guardian, Siward decided on a course of action in an instant. His body coiling into a spring of angry energy, he gazed deeply into the diamond eyes of his foe and screamed a challenge. At the same time, he slammed his shield against the statue, seeking to send it tumbling off the bridge.

Show
    Siward rages and attempts to shove the statue (golem?) 2 times.

Athletics 1: (1d20+7)[14]
    Advantage: (1d20+7)[18]

Athletics 2: (1d20+7)[27]
    Advantage: (1d20+7)[14]

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

20. - Top - End - #1100

Atuar had been lazily following the maze of his ancestors when he heard the divine guardian slowly creaking to life. As Siward began pushing the gaurdian down he summoned his own wildfire spirit behind the statue.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not sure what the question is, but fire has got to be the right answer!" Lyn followed Atuar's lead and a big blall of flames erupted arounf the statue.

Fireball!
    (8d6)[31]
    save DC dex 15 for half
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Troll in the Playground

"Right, right. Time for iconoclasm then."

Darion casts whip!

Spoiler: Crack
    Show
    (1d20+8)[14]
    (1d4+5)[6] damage
    (3d6)[15] sneak attack?
    I apologize for drawing CockroachTeaParty as a winged centaur.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ettin in the Playground

Ataaz Muhahah
    Day 70

As flames washed over the massive stone statue and the crash of Aleandrae's shatter chipped its warmask Siward sprung to the forefront smashing his body against its leg. Sent crashing upon the stone pedestal it once stood vigil over the statue writhed with brittle cracking autonomy while Darion's whip and Jack's bolts found no purchase in the magical stone. The wrestling to and fro of the shielded companions and their crocodilian mount provided ample cover for Vorn to safely escort the amazed skyship sailors off the bridge. A few spared paltry efforts to damage its exterior but when they proved for naught Captain Bravewing signaled a retreat. Standing up amidst ash and smoke the Statue focused upon the mighty warrior that was able to move it upon its ancient and sacred stance. Reaching down the statue lifted Siward and threw him over the side of the bridge, his grip upon his sword quickly discarded as he sought purchase with which to cease his fall, and at the last moment grabbed a hold of the vines hanging over the side of the bridge. Dangling precariously off of Ataaz Muhahah, Siward looked down to see his drifting feet, and up once more to the swarm of Babboons that laired beneath and howled their discontent.

Show

Siward is thrown off the bridge and falls 15 feet before catching himself on the vines below.

You are all up once more.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ettin in the Playground

Aleandrae

"Vorn, throw that statue over the side if you can!" Aleandrae shouted, once more trying to crack the statue's stone body.

Show
    Shatter (3rd level slot this time) on the statue again for (4d8)[11] thunder damage. DC 15 Con save.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ogre in the Playground

"Siward!" As she watch Siward fall over the side, Lyndal felt a burning rage for this mindless obstacle that dared impede their progress for NO GOOD REASON. Her vision seared red as she unleashed another fireball at the statue.

F I R E B A L L
    Save DC 15 Dex
    Damage
    (8D6)[28]
    #Notallinfluencers

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

Siward

Clinging desperately to monkey-infested vines, Siward watched his sword vanish beneath him with a pang of despair. And a larger pang of rage. Holding tight to the ropey creepers that dangled from the bridge, he began to haul himself back to the fight, waving his arm angrily to banish a particularly brave monkey that chose to accost him. Hauling himself back over the edge of the ancient edifice, his shield began to glow with the same radiance as his sword as he slammed into the towering colossus that barred their way.

Show
    Siward will do some improvised shield attacks, ending with a shield bash to prone if possible.

Attack 1: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: (1d4+6)[7]
    Radiant Damage: (1d6+2)[5]

Attack 2: (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage: (1d4+6)[8]
    Radiant Damage (if first attack missed): (1d6+2)[5]

Shield Bash: (1d20+7)[11]
    Advantage: (1d20+7)[26]

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ettin in the Playground

Ataaz Muhahah
    Day 70

While Siward was swift to return to the field of war, his rapid climb only briefly halted by a raging monkey's stray kick, there was work left to be done on the bridge, and the two criminal partners got to work. Darion kicking off the side of the bridge, his troll hide dagger carved through stone as sure as flesh, and while the sparks still rained down from above Jack quickly tripped the stone monster. Twin explosions from Atuar and Lyndal, born from ancient magics alike, melted the stone warriors shield into slag dripping below. Vorn tried to march in to attack but found little room amidst the melee, rebuffed by the harmony of Srirak's bell and Aleandrae's shattering. Heaving himself over, Siward ignored his discarded sword, and simply began repeatedly bludgeoning his shield arm onto the stone statue's chest. All the while its eyes glowed brighter until they shone so brightly as to sting the eyes of all present.

Show

Brother Crocodile has restrained the Statue on the ground after Jack tripped it. Everyone except Aleandrae must make a wisdom saving throw.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Ettin in the Playground

Aleandrae

Perhaps unaware of the effect she'd managed to avoid, Aleandrae once more tried to use the sheer power of sound to crack open the stone behemoth. "Come on, Siward, let's crack this guy apart!"

Show
    Shatter, 3rd level for (4d8)[17] thunder damage on a failed save. DC 15.

Bonus action: Bardic Inspiration die to Siward.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2020-10-29 at 11:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ettin in the Playground

Ataaz Muhahah
    Day 70

Restrained in reptilian jaws, the stone statue looked up to the heavens as fire, magic, and steel came crashing down upon it in unified if sluggish intent. Its eyes still glowed brightly from the magical pulse it had emitted. The last heartbeat of some ancient guardian. A light rain picked up, a sensation almost synonymous with Chult, and yet strangely personal in this moment. The first drops landed upon its face, streaks of water smearing down what remained of its once chiseled details, and pooling in the warped melted deposits that had bloomed throughout the fight. Tumbling over its leg, Darion took his Dagger of Warning in hand, bargained for with foul forces long ago, and plunged it into the heart of the stone. The light ceased. A flickering whimper of magic moments before they were naught but shiny rocks. The howling of the monkeys ceased. Hushed. A command carried on a warm wind rolling down the river and far far away into the heart of Chult. Siward made to claim his bounty, though found that the eyes were but forgeries upon examining them with his compatriots. A dazzling trap for those with a lust for trophies and all that glitters. Sheepishly, the crew of the Star Goddess stepped across the bridge, watching their saviors recover, and Azaka looked over the chasm of the bridge as she took lead.

She quickly regretted it.

Stumbling back she shook her head in a fugue of nausea and gripped the stone walls like an iron vise. "I'm gonna be sick." She muttered beneath her breathe "It wasn't like this when last I crossed..." Slapping her on the back like a mother to a child Salida smirked and threw her own discerning eye over the gap "Some time ago no doubt, you Worn Out Tree. Siward, you think you can leap this distance? Get some rope and maybe help pull some of us across? Unless one of you magic folk could fly this whole time and never mentioned it prior."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

30. - Top - End - #1110

Atuar

Realizing they needed to get across the bridge and recovering from a post golem melting high, Atuar decided to cast speak with animals. Perhaps the numerous flying monkeys could help string a rope across this bridge. Of course, Vorn would have to go the long way either way but Atuar had little interest in retracing his steps.

"Friends, Chultans, Primates, Lend me your ears! I come to cross bridges, not to bury golems."

Atuar continued gesticulating wildly "The evil that haunts this land lives forward. The good needs not but a roe to reach them"

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show