New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What's Left of the MagCave II: We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

Larvae On The Loose

"Mainframe, run an audio analysis on that scream. Is this a Class Three, Four, or Five Emergency?" Magtok calls out to nobody at all, as he pings the other drone bodies to determine who's closest to Renee's room right now. Bluh, that's right, Mainframe isn't here anymore, and what's worse, somehow the closest body is his, which means there's no tidy and efficient way to juggle this call, the lobster operation, and Renee's mystery crisis. Magtok injects a syringe full of liquified deadtime into the lobster, scowls, and starts running for Renee's room.

"Kathy, I might have to call you back. If you like this Fayyaad, I'm sure he's fine and there's nothing for me to be scheming or plotting about," he says all in one breath, lunging forward into a telewarp portal that wasn't there a moment ago, getting rerouted out another and flung into the foyer, where he manages to come to a screeching halt just in time, with his face floating just a few scant inches over the ground. Not the most graceful of entrances, but without any superpowered AI programs or hive mind networks to run the math, this is as accurate a set of coordinates as we're going to get on such short notice. Stupid Mainframe, deadtiming like one of us worthless organics. What good was all that stolen code if it couldn't even render itself totally invulnerable to the passage of time?

Well anyway, if our own analysis of Renee's scream is accurate, Renee should've arrived here exactly when we did. We should be able to get an explanation as to what's going on and decide if this really is a lobster-abandoning kind of crisis or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Close Encounter of the Daughter Kind]

"Yeah, okay. Take care, dad. Let me know if you need any help," and unless Magtok stops her, Kathy will hang up.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daughter Frustration Infestation]

Renee is quite the sight to see. She's ragged, a bit wild eyed, looks like she's had only a little sleep of late, and could probably do with a shower, but hey, she's at least properly dressed and is even wearing shoes. If you called pink bunny slippers shoes. She still hasn't replaced the missing hand, but she seems to be doing just fine as she swoops in to give Magtok a tight hug. "Dad, there's a situation and I need some much needed advice." She admits, stepping back. Renee's about to say something more, but she hesitates and her eyes unfocus. It's a very familiar look, one Pat used to get when communicating with a part of the Hive a fair bit away.

"What do you mean you ate the letter? Why would y-NO! Why would I ever make a letter on sugar paper? You can't just go eating stuff because you're hungry!"
    She groans, rubbing her face with her hand. "Just...just give her whatever's left and the coordinates and tell her...I dunno, 2PM? Yeah, go for that. Just...after this, we need to talk." She warns before coming back to her personal reality to sit down heavily on the floor.

"So...Junior might have just given a gal the impression that I just asked her on a date. I don't know where he got a Pontiac or a boom box, but it was like something out of a horrifically made 90's Rom-Com that tries to hit the Nostalgia Factor by throwing in 80's tropes." She explains, sounding defeated. "So, should I try to tell her the truth or should I do the more family-typical thing and go along with it in the hopes that she's either not interested or too embarrassed to come along?"

4. - Top - End - #394

Daughter Frustration Infestation

"This sounds familiar," Magtok remarks thoughtfully, as he takes a moment to really process the situation. It isn't too different from how one of the other clones wound up dating Renee's mother, is it? That means this could get extremely dicey, if Renee's assessment of the situation is all wrong and this mystery acquaintance is completely, totally on board with dating her.

"Well okay, let's take a step back for a moment. Hypothetically, is going on a date with this person something you'd want to do under more ideal conditions, or is Junior completely off the mark and has no idea what you actually think of her?" he asks, figuring that's probably the best place to start. Definitely not the 'just go along with it' idea. That's something an incredibly stupid and reckless younger Magtok would do, after all. If his kids are going to be making ridiculous and comical blunders with their love lives, they should be new and creative and exciting blunders, not retreads of his own embarrassing youth.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

The question seems to give Renee no small pause as she's made to actually confront her own feelings on the matter. "I...don't know?" She finally admits after a few moments. "I like the idea perhaps, but I wouldn't say I think of people that way? She's cute and adorable in that "just-found-a-cat-in-the-pouring-rain" sort of pitiable way maybe but I'm not like Cassius I guess." She finally admits with a shrug. "I could try and see?"
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2020-08-02 at 10:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396

Magtok tilts his head to one side and puts a hand to his chin, weighing things in his mind.

"...I guess? I mean, you can try to explain a little, but if you're counting on her turning you down I can guarantee that's not going to work because that kind of thinking never works." Of course, what kind of stupid moron would turn down Renee? Renee, the badass MagDaughter with the motorcycle and chainsaw arm and everything else she has going on? Obviously Magtok has some bias as her father, but whoever this mystery girl is, he's sure there's not many other options for her that could compare.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

"...yeah, fair enough." Renee finally agrees, clearly deciding that her father had wisdom to his words. She nods before looking off into the distance for a moment. "Well, at the very least, Junior seems to have mostly wrapped up so he ca-no. No, I will not say that." She stops herself from saying the cursed words. It'd be far too easy to tempt fate by suggesting nothing else could go wrong. Still, she couldn't stand around forever feeling sorry for herself and she slips forward to give her father a tight hug. "I suppose either way I should probably make myself presentable. Shower, change, and at least look like a respectable ant. Anything I can get you while I'm out?"

8. - Top - End - #398

Magtok almost shakes his head, but then stops for a moment to reconsider. It wouldn't hurt, right? Just one little stop, I'm sure it'd be fine.

"Yeah, if you're passing through Mallside, can you pick up a roomba? I have another stupid idea," he explains, which would probably sound a little alarming if Renee wasn't already used to her father's terrible ideas and the usual mayhem that passes through here. Every day at the MagCave brings with it a new and foolish endeavor. The only thing that's changed is Magtok has gotten slightly better at not killing himself in the process, which I'm sure has everything to do with the fact that he doesn't have many bodies to spare and has to actually acknowledge the risks he puts them through, and not because he's suddenly a lot wiser and more responsible than he was years ago.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

The request gives Renee a bit of a pause and she furrows her brow a bit as she tries to talk. Eventually she's able to find the words. "You're not planning on duct taping a knife to the roomba, are you? You know that's just going to end badly for everyone that both is and isn't involved." Still, she shrugs. "But alright. Do you want oversized googly-eyes to go with the roomba as well?"

10. - Top - End - #400

"A knife? Please. I said stupid, not unoriginal," the cyborg rolls his eye, his response coming eons late because I'm terrible at posting in a timely manner. He's going to teach it to fly, Renee. That's way cooler than a knife. Though now that you've mentioned it, he might glue spikes or something to its surface as well, just to make it extra menacing and spooky. It is nearly Halloween now, after all. "I've still got some googly eyes in Lab 3, so I should be fine there, but thanks anyway."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

[Visit from the Fair Folk]

The MagCave has visitors. A rare occurrence these days, perhaps. It's unclear where these visitors came from, since it seems they've just appeared out of thin air. One of them is a tall figure wrapped in a cloak, its head a rat's skull with antlers and a wing-like tangle of black branches on its back. Beside it are two elves, clad in ornate purple robes and headdresses that only expose a bit of their faces. Behind it walks a large, ogre-like creature with a bird's head and a moose's antlers.

"Lord Magtok. I come bearing gifts," the central figure of the assembly says. "In gratitude for help you've given, perhaps without knowing."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Visit From the Fair Folk

Caelynn hums to herself as she tugs on her snow boots, lacing them up tight. There may be a couple things that she and her boyfriend disagree on, but the degree of good cheer to bring with you into the holidays is not one of them. The winter months are cold and dreary and sunless, so why not let yourself indulge in the one bright joyful light among them?

It's with this kind of bubbly contentment that the catgirl steps out of the Magcave, bundled up in a coat and ready to get done some Thanksmas shopping for stocking stuffers... only to stop in her tracks at the sight of the strange duo at the front door.

"O-oh, um, hi. I'm not - er, I'll go get him for you," She offers hastily, stepping back in to fetch Mags and also maybe let him know there might be a security threat outside to worry about.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2020-12-22 at 09:54 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

13. - Top - End - #403

A Visit From The Fair Folk

Resuming business at MagMart has helped direct a lot of the cyborg’s restlessness and anxiety away from the labs and towards more productive, less deranged ends. Running a business takes a lot of time and energy, so he can’t do all the crazy nonsense he would’ve otherwise. Consequently, the perimeter security force made of suicidal attack Roombas hasn’t been completed, and the front door is horrendously exposed without any killer robots to mercilessly charge into and explode the face off of anyone Magtok doesn’t immediately recognize. I know, what a terrible shame, huh?

Speaking of Magtok, he’s only about half a hallway from the door, already dusting off a cold iron crowbar and wrapping a thick winter coat around his shoulders when Caelynn finds him, having seen his new guests on a security camera. He’s not expecting a fight, not from anyone bearing gifts, but you can never be too careful with rat-skulled specters, elves, and what he’s pretty sure is some kind of, uhh...weirdass wendigo monster? Something like that.

“The security camera footage is a little fuzzy. On a scale from one to ten, how spooky is this guy and his entourage?” he asks, sliding the crowbar up one sleeve where it seemingly vanishes from existence. He tries to sound unmoved and indifferent, but it’s been a long time since he’s done well in a confrontation with anyone powerful or influential. We don’t want this to turn into another mess like Kram or Hades, where we’re just pushed around like some worthless peasant rather than the greatest supervillain this world has ever known.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2020-12-23 at 09:34 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

14. - Top - End - #404
    Bugbear in the Playground

Caelynn's eyebrows raises a tad. She's not exactly surprised to discover that Magtok's made the effort to acquire something for fighting off otherworldly fair folk, what with his general disposition towards even the least eldritch variants of elvenkind, but a crowbar is a little more pedestrian than what she'd expect. I mean it's a good look and she's all for him going all Gordon Freeman on some spooky motherheckers, it's just not as techy a solution as her beloved mastermind usually opts for, y'know?

"Er, maybe like a six or a seven? Mostly just the one in charge, he seems like he has the capability to be max spooky if he wants to." The ogre's a little weird too and kinda unenjoyable to look at, but she has to dock points on the cultists when she makes her report. They're mysterious and maybe a little ominous but not really menacing. Plus, purple attire fits right in around here.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

15. - Top - End - #405

"I can definitely handle a six or a seven," Magtok nods, rolling up a sleeve and opening a panel in his left arm for a last-second inspection. Yep, everything seems to be set here. Got his crowbar, his gun, the various concealed gadgets, a self-induced prohibition against giving away his name, the last known location of his firstborn son...yep, everything seems to be in order.

"Once I'm done with this talk, I need you to tap me with the crowbar. Just a light bonk, that should be enough. If I won't let you have the crowbar or insist you're being overcautious or my skin starts steaming red or some other suspicious fae thing happens, set off the alarms and run," he warns, striding towards the front door with barely disguised excitement. A new face! A fae face! Some grand new nemesis to squabble and feud with, maybe, or a new adventure or quest about to fall into our lap! Maybe we should call Needs in later, see if he can stuff this extraplanar prince into a bottle or something.

"Gifts," he repeats skeptically, once he's made his way to the front door, and can stare up into that antlered rat skull with his own two eyes. "May I ask what's the occasion?" Most fae don't just go handing out presents for nothing like this. I mean, aside from the jolly fat man in the red coat, but he doesn't really count.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

[A Visit From The Fair Folk]

"A year ago, you helped deliver my child." The fey's eyes stare into Magtok's. The figure is eerily immobile, as are his eyes and head. But the branches on his back sway in an invisible wind. There's a rhythm to the movement. If Magtok pays very close attention, he might notice that they seem to be moved by a breath, not a wind. An invisible breath, faint but rhythmic, coming from somewhere far away and slipping through the cracks. The two elves flanking the figure stand still, awaiting commands, as does the ogre-like fey behind him. It's carrying something long and narrow, wrapped in a cloth. "I could not reward you then, but now my station has risen and I can give my thanks as befits the King in Rags."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #407

"There must be some mistake. I have no idea what you're talking about," Magtok admits, frowning. Did Needs do something weird again? Were the other MagClones up in space getting up to bizarre obstetrician adventures behind his back? Maybe his memory was wiped afterward? He vaguely recalls being told by the Magtok in charge that there was a brief visit concerning a Thanksmas gift for Ilpholin last year, shortly before she had her child, but that's not-

...oh crap, she had a fae baby, didn't she?

"Is this about Ilpholin?" he asks, eying the thing wrapped up in a cloth. Oh jeez, if this is a reward for delivering a baby, what could a weird fae monster possibly be delivering under that cloth in exchange? There's not an infant moving under there, right? He's not going to have to adopt some hideous changeling monster or something, is he?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Is it amusement that flickers in the King's pale blue eyes? Or is it just a trick of the light? The apparition seems deadly serious, but it's hardly out of place for a fey to play a joke on mortals in this way.

"Indeed it is. And what a monumental event it was. The first child sired by a fey - one of the Gentry, no less. You deserve a just reward for helping to bring it about." A skeletal hand made of dead black wood slips out from under his cloak and waves. The bird-ogre steps forward and uncovers the item it's holding. A... harpoon. Its haft made of bleach-white wood, its blade gleaming blue, stained with some old blood. Why would the King in Rags think Magtok needs that?

19. - Top - End - #409

"...a harpoon," Magtok answers skeptically, his eyes scrutinizing every inch of the primitive whale-hunter's weapon. This fae knows exactly what he's doing, doesn't he? Nobody just picks a harpoon like this out of nowhere, he must know about that time Magtok got impaled by human supremacists. That was probably one of the more consequential deaths, I'd say. He's not sure how many people knew about it at the time, but he was still very much a public figure back then, so it wouldn't surprise him if that particularly messy chapter of his life eventually found its way into the history books, as well as the personal archives of this fae creature.

"You know what usually happens when ordinarily eternal beings like you start having heirs, right?" the cyborg asks with surprisingly little actual malice, as if he were too distracted by something going on elsewhere to commit any real passion to his ominous warning. Given the way he's looking at that harpoon, he might be too preoccupied trying to figure out what he could actually do with it to focus on the King of Rags himself. Or maybe he's trying to decide if stabbing one of KoR's flunkies would upset Ilpholin later down the road. Or maybe he might stab some snacks with the pointy end and roast them over a fire.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

"This harpoon was used by a champion of mine in ancient days, to bring down the flying demon-whales of Kaartus. His hand was strong and his aim true, but none remember him now except for me," the King says. Then his eyes twinkle once more. "Are you referring to the possibility that I may become mortal? Or that my son will replace me? Both could happen, yes. But such are the risks a king has to take. My legend has to grow, for no adversity is as dangerous to me as being forgotten. You and I both know that, Lord Magtok."

21. - Top - End - #411

"I've found that no one wants chaos and adventure more than the man who has never tasted risk, and nobody who wants some peace and quiet quite as much as the retired legend who's spent his whole life addicted to that same danger," Magtok answers, hefting the harpoon up onto his shoulder, as he tries to gauge exactly how heavy the thing is and how far he could actually throw it if he were inclined to do so without building some kind of spear-launching cannon first.

"May you live in incredibly exciting times, your highness," the cyborg mockingly adds, handing off the harpoon to a flying roomba that shudders and wobbles under the weight of the hunting weapon. "I'm sure your son will be more than capable of exceeding expectations," he adds ominously, apparently trying to beat the fae at his own game by being as spooky and prophetic as possible.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

"Never tasted risk? I have been cast down before, Lord Magtok. To the lowest place you can imagine, by base treachery. But this did not teach me to avoid risk." The light in the King's eyes flares momentarily. "But such, perhaps, is the difference between the Gentry and mortals. Farewell for now, Lord Magtok. I hope you enjoy your gift."

23. - Top - End - #413

It takes a lot of discipline to keep Magtok from answering that barb with a toss of the harpoon. He experiences just a couple years of peace and calm after an entire lifetime of misery and chaos and violence beyond that of anyone else in the entire Nexus, and now everyone (himself included) has something to say about him being a big rotten coward because of it. He turns away and retreats back into his cave, grumbling under his breath as the door slams shut behind him.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #414

Tengen Toppa Gurren Magann

That fae godling's words hit a little too close to home. Figuratively and literally, since Magtok's entire conversation with the royal pain in the ass took place right outside the cyborg's own front door. It's an uncomfortable, unsettling truth that he didn't want to admit to, but lately, Magtok has been at his lowest point in ages. He's not been feeling like himself, in more ways than one, and the person he has been feeling like hasn't been very wonderful either. Magtok has committed the most heinous of heresies, the most contemptuous of crimes a Nexus character is capable of: he's been boring. Indescribably, appallingly, detestably boring.

Well it's about time we did something about that. The entire Nexus belonged to us once, after all. It was our domain, our demesne, our oyster, and though many denied it out of envy, hatred, or fear, it was a self-evident truth written in their blood and carved into their cities: This is Magtok's world. There was a time when we could carve a marriage proposal into the surface of the moon without fear of retaliation or any sort of meaningful outcry against us. There was a time when flying fortresses sailed overhead, and immortal armies marched below, both afraid to tread here without an invitation. There was a time when we were the last line of defense against those who would undo all that is, was, or ever could be. There was a time when we were the most interesting man in the Nexus. There was a time when we were Lord Magtok.

Today, we become Lord Magtok once again.

"Mwahahahaha! I've finally done it! At long last, the Janus Engine is complete!" Magtok cackles, from atop the shoulder of a giant humanoid war machine. It towers over the landscape, dwarfing the woodlands surrounding Mt. Enn, whose tallest trees can only hope to tickle the shins of this malevolent masterpiece. It's truly an awe-inspiring feat of engineering, with massive cannons bound to its left forearm, a hint of an equally large energy blade on the right arm, and a head modeled after its creator's own infamous visage, with a hidden ladder Magtok uses to ascend to the control deck within. At his behest, the Janus Engine rears up, lifting one leg up high, before sending it crashing down, splitting some innocent oak tree beneath its heel, beginning its ruinous march towards civilization with earthshaking force.

It might not be the most sophisticated of plans for reclaiming one's relevance, but sometimes simple is best. People might not care so much about MagMart's reopening, but they will notice a giant doomsday robot approaching their city. The only question now is which one? Do we give Intersection a heart attack, or make Riverside's guardians go into a panic? Unite Skyside's divided forces against us, or inspire the Nexus's greatest heroes to defend the coastal settlements along Seaside from our enormous battlebot? Or maybe we could do something completely unexpected, and attack some similarly massive beast from Wildside, just to prove our inherently obvious superiority over nature?

"Decisions, decisions..." Magtok mumbles to himself, as the Janus Engine casually flattens a cedar that had stood upon the mountain for generations. His marvelous superweapon's terrible might had to be visited upon someone, but who? Maybe if he knew where those stupid cats kept their clones, or could get directions to that fae king's lair, or wasn't already on decent terms with MERC, or if AMEN still had anyone left to defend the valcano...what a shame. With little idea as to what to actually do with this thing he spent the last two months building, Magtok reaches into his robe and produces a six-sided die. One fateful toss of the dice later, he has his answer.

"Hrmmmm..."

Three tosses of the dice later, he has his answer. The first two don't count because the first result he got was dumb and bad, and the second rolled off the dashboard and onto the floor, so we can't count that one either. So now that Lady Luck's counsel has been sought and immediately discarded, it looks like we're headed to the warm, tropical heat of the Nexus's own Seaside! Oh boy, what fun!
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson