Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What's Left of the MagCave II: We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

Larvae On The Loose

"Mainframe, run an audio analysis on that scream. Is this a Class Three, Four, or Five Emergency?" Magtok calls out to nobody at all, as he pings the other drone bodies to determine who's closest to Renee's room right now. Bluh, that's right, Mainframe isn't here anymore, and what's worse, somehow the closest body is his, which means there's no tidy and efficient way to juggle this call, the lobster operation, and Renee's mystery crisis. Magtok injects a syringe full of liquified deadtime into the lobster, scowls, and starts running for Renee's room.

"Kathy, I might have to call you back. If you like this Fayyaad, I'm sure he's fine and there's nothing for me to be scheming or plotting about," he says all in one breath, lunging forward into a telewarp portal that wasn't there a moment ago, getting rerouted out another and flung into the foyer, where he manages to come to a screeching halt just in time, with his face floating just a few scant inches over the ground. Not the most graceful of entrances, but without any superpowered AI programs or hive mind networks to run the math, this is as accurate a set of coordinates as we're going to get on such short notice. Stupid Mainframe, deadtiming like one of us worthless organics. What good was all that stolen code if it couldn't even render itself totally invulnerable to the passage of time?

Well anyway, if our own analysis of Renee's scream is accurate, Renee should've arrived here exactly when we did. We should be able to get an explanation as to what's going on and decide if this really is a lobster-abandoning kind of crisis or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    The Original Hooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi
    You can find me (and people almost as great as me) on the Nexus Server For Cool Attractive People! Come join us!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Close Encounter of the Daughter Kind]

"Yeah, okay. Take care, dad. Let me know if you need any help," and unless Magtok stops her, Kathy will hang up.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daughter Frustration Infestation]

Renee is quite the sight to see. She's ragged, a bit wild eyed, looks like she's had only a little sleep of late, and could probably do with a shower, but hey, she's at least properly dressed and is even wearing shoes. If you called pink bunny slippers shoes. She still hasn't replaced the missing hand, but she seems to be doing just fine as she swoops in to give Magtok a tight hug. "Dad, there's a situation and I need some much needed advice." She admits, stepping back. Renee's about to say something more, but she hesitates and her eyes unfocus. It's a very familiar look, one Pat used to get when communicating with a part of the Hive a fair bit away.

"What do you mean you ate the letter? Why would y-NO! Why would I ever make a letter on sugar paper? You can't just go eating stuff because you're hungry!"
    She groans, rubbing her face with her hand. "Just...just give her whatever's left and the coordinates and tell her...I dunno, 2PM? Yeah, go for that. Just...after this, we need to talk." She warns before coming back to her personal reality to sit down heavily on the floor.

"So...Junior might have just given a gal the impression that I just asked her on a date. I don't know where he got a Pontiac or a boom box, but it was like something out of a horrifically made 90's Rom-Com that tries to hit the Nostalgia Factor by throwing in 80's tropes." She explains, sounding defeated. "So, should I try to tell her the truth or should I do the more family-typical thing and go along with it in the hopes that she's either not interested or too embarrassed to come along?"

4. - Top - End - #394

Daughter Frustration Infestation

"This sounds familiar," Magtok remarks thoughtfully, as he takes a moment to really process the situation. It isn't too different from how one of the other clones wound up dating Renee's mother, is it? That means this could get extremely dicey, if Renee's assessment of the situation is all wrong and this mystery acquaintance is completely, totally on board with dating her.

"Well okay, let's take a step back for a moment. Hypothetically, is going on a date with this person something you'd want to do under more ideal conditions, or is Junior completely off the mark and has no idea what you actually think of her?" he asks, figuring that's probably the best place to start. Definitely not the 'just go along with it' idea. That's something an incredibly stupid and reckless younger Magtok would do, after all. If his kids are going to be making ridiculous and comical blunders with their love lives, they should be new and creative and exciting blunders, not retreads of his own embarrassing youth.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    You can find me (and people almost as great as me) on the Nexus Server For Cool Attractive People! Come join us!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

The question seems to give Renee no small pause as she's made to actually confront her own feelings on the matter. "I...don't know?" She finally admits after a few moments. "I like the idea perhaps, but I wouldn't say I think of people that way? She's cute and adorable in that "just-found-a-cat-in-the-pouring-rain" sort of pitiable way maybe but I'm not like Cassius I guess." She finally admits with a shrug. "I could try and see?"
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2020-08-02 at 10:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396

Magtok tilts his head to one side and puts a hand to his chin, weighing things in his mind.

"...I guess? I mean, you can try to explain a little, but if you're counting on her turning you down I can guarantee that's not going to work because that kind of thinking never works." Of course, what kind of stupid moron would turn down Renee? Renee, the badass MagDaughter with the motorcycle and chainsaw arm and everything else she has going on? Obviously Magtok has some bias as her father, but whoever this mystery girl is, he's sure there's not many other options for her that could compare.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

"...yeah, fair enough." Renee finally agrees, clearly deciding that her father had wisdom to his words. She nods before looking off into the distance for a moment. "Well, at the very least, Junior seems to have mostly wrapped up so he ca-no. No, I will not say that." She stops herself from saying the cursed words. It'd be far too easy to tempt fate by suggesting nothing else could go wrong. Still, she couldn't stand around forever feeling sorry for herself and she slips forward to give her father a tight hug. "I suppose either way I should probably make myself presentable. Shower, change, and at least look like a respectable ant. Anything I can get you while I'm out?"

8. - Top - End - #398

Magtok almost shakes his head, but then stops for a moment to reconsider. It wouldn't hurt, right? Just one little stop, I'm sure it'd be fine.

"Yeah, if you're passing through Mallside, can you pick up a roomba? I have another stupid idea," he explains, which would probably sound a little alarming if Renee wasn't already used to her father's terrible ideas and the usual mayhem that passes through here. Every day at the MagCave brings with it a new and foolish endeavor. The only thing that's changed is Magtok has gotten slightly better at not killing himself in the process, which I'm sure has everything to do with the fact that he doesn't have many bodies to spare and has to actually acknowledge the risks he puts them through, and not because he's suddenly a lot wiser and more responsible than he was years ago.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

The request gives Renee a bit of a pause and she furrows her brow a bit as she tries to talk. Eventually she's able to find the words. "You're not planning on duct taping a knife to the roomba, are you? You know that's just going to end badly for everyone that both is and isn't involved." Still, she shrugs. "But alright. Do you want oversized googly-eyes to go with the roomba as well?"

10. - Top - End - #400

"A knife? Please. I said stupid, not unoriginal," the cyborg rolls his eye, his response coming eons late because I'm terrible at posting in a timely manner. He's going to teach it to fly, Renee. That's way cooler than a knife. Though now that you've mentioned it, he might glue spikes or something to its surface as well, just to make it extra menacing and spooky. It is nearly Halloween now, after all. "I've still got some googly eyes in Lab 3, so I should be fine there, but thanks anyway."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson