New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: What's Left of the MagCave II: We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

"MEATBAG. Impure Magtok. You do not understand." The fully-robo-tok stands up from his throne and descends, standing at the opposite end of the production line from the real-deal, arms folded. "How can you say I'm lacking in creativity and vision when I'm the same as you? Well, except for the bit where I got rid of all the rest of my weak fleshy parts and replaced them with SUPERIOR ROBOTICS!"

Superior robotics? You're sitting on a throne of rat bones with an army of robo-rats to do your bidding. The real Magtok may not be in the best of shape these days, but at least he hasn't been reduced to rats! You can't go anywhere lower than this, robo-tok, the only sort of robotic army that would be worse than rats would be robotic fleas!

"I got rid of the Mag, now I'm all Tok. This is the MagCave no longer. This is the TokCave and I am its master. Although I kinda need a few thousand more rats running on treadmills to generate enough electricity to get everything working again, so could you maybe come back in a year or two when the fleshy rats have bred enough for me to complete my diabolical plot?"

Thankfully Asaigh has earned herself a little breathing room for now. There's no sign of any more fully robotic geese or wolves closing in on her, and if she paid attention to how Magtok cleared the place, she can probably safely take the same route!
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Asaigh is still focused on her tome, and soon a second aetheric being sprouts from nothing. It floats in the air, similar to Ifrit, but unlike it, this one is green, winged, and moves the air around it.

"Right, guess we've gotta get rid of whatever the hell this-" She notices now that Magtok has gone somewhere else, and sighs again. "I need a vacation," she mumbles as she heads off in the direction she thinks Magtok went, her summon close behind her.

3. - Top - End - #63

"You got rid of nothing, you clueless bucket of bolts. The Mag is back, and you-" Oh gods, 'the Mag is back?' Really? Magtok can't help but cringe at his own hammy line, and reluctantly brings his rifle up towards the Tokborg's head, even though he's not going to get a redo and has to stick with that schlock now. Jeez, we should've just shot the stupid robot before he ever opened his mouth. Everything would've been so much cooler that way, and it's not like we really gained anything from listening to this worthless creature and his rat swarm power plant. The cyborg scowls, tightens his finger around the trigger, and fires.

"You are not my better half, Tok. The machine is weak," the cyborg insists, before firing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #64

"The Mag is back? Did you really just say that? I can't believe how- gah!" Whatever insulting commentary Magtok's robotic counterpart was going to spout is cut short as he dives behind his rat throne, a couple of the wires getting tangled and snapping in the process. The rifle fire blasts huge chunks out of his rat bone throne, which probably won't hold up against more than one or two more salvos.

Assuming Asaigh takes her time and is careful as she goes, it's reasonably easy to weave a path around the patrolling wolves and geese - turns out that animals are kinda dumb even if you remove all the fleshy bits and are really bad at staying in sync with each other on their patrol routes. It won't be long before she's able to hear the gunfire going off in the next room.

Speaking of which...

A moment after Magtok's done firing, the self-proclaimed new owner of the MagCave sticks his head back out from behind the partially-blasted throne."Rattor christ, Magtok, watch where you're pointing that thing! Do you have any idea how long it took to make this throne? When did you start cutting your banter so short? And it's Toktok, not Tok. Please, get it right!" What Magtok may or may not notice is that Toktok is trying to stall for time for a few moments - just long enough for a pair of explosive Tokrats to finish climbing into position above Magtok and drop down at him for a suitably ratty explosion on impact!
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #65

Asaigh has had more practice evading the patrol paths of animals than she would care to admit, and so even with the aetheric creature following behind her, she has a simple enough time making her way to where Magtok and... Toktok? Did she hear that right? Gods, did these people pick their own names? She hoped not. She doesn't pay much attention to the conversation, looking around in the room instead, and she's just barely able to see the two mechanical rats making their way up above Magtok. "Oh, that's probably not good. Garuda!" she mutters, then calls out to her summon.

The bird-thing moves forward a little, to where it can be noticed, then flaps its wings to shove a gust of wind, hopefully pushing the explosive rats away.

6. - Top - End - #66

"Honestly, I thought you'd be dead before I could get a decent speech in. Well, dead as a robot can get, anyway. You know what I mea-" Oh gods in their heavens, explosive rats?! Presuming Asaigh's gust of wind is enough to keep the explosion from taking Magtok's whole head off, he fires wildly, pointing his gun in the general direction of where he last saw Toktok, before everything became hot, acrid smoke and first-degree burns.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #67

The well-timed intervention from Asaigh does an excellent job of diverting the rats well enough to spare Magtok from a lethal blow - although the resulting explosion results in an almost comically excessive amount of smoke, so Magtok may well find himself wearing a cartoonish layer of soot on his face, as well as a few injuries.

The explosion does provide Toktok with some excellent cover to get the duck out of there though, as Magtok's wild firing destroys what was left of the rat-bone-throne.

As the smoke clears, Toktok seems to have dived for cover somewhere behind one of the rat roboticising li- PYOING

Or not. The robo-tok is thwarted as the wires connecting him to the rat-treadmill-powergrid are apparently too short for him to crawl the whole way along the side as he lets out a "Urk!" The wires cut him short and yank him backwards, causing him to fall flat on his back. "You brought help? Since when did the great Magtok need help? And why didn't you ever make any longer cables? Useless MEATBAG technology." Having rolled a natural 1 on his stealth check, Toktok also does a very poor job of hiding the fact that he's fumbling for something on the underside of the roboticiser.
    Last edited by Gnrlshrimp; 2018-10-15 at 04:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Asaigh felt her face twitch at being called help. Help? Twelve damnit, Magtok was the one crashing her archaeological dig, and she didn't care if this place wasn't as abandoned as she thought, it was still her survey. She starts scribbling in her book once more, before pointing her quill at the stupid robot rummaging around. "Lemme correct you on something, you rusted bag of bolts," she says, as the tip of her quill feather glows with orange magic once more. "He's the help."

At that, an eruption of fiery orange magic explodes above Toktok, pure aetheric energies meant to rend and tear.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2018-10-27 at 06:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

"Nobody's 'the help,' this isn't that kind of-" Oh. Oh wow, that's a pretty impressive display, that magicky death thing. Magtok shakes his head, wipes some soot off his face, and takes a few steps back to reload. If he just shoots or rips out those wires keeping Toktok plugged into his rat gymnasium, the creepy simulacrum should shut down and be totally useless, right? Assuming the aetheric death beam hasn't already cut through them, of course. Anything important Asaigh wants to study here would still be fairly intact, and his doppelganger wouldn't be able to kill them. Win-win, basically.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

10. - Top - End - #70

"Oh, sonnuva-" Toktok looks up, wide-eyed with terror as Asaigh summons forth orange-coloured magical doom above him. He reaches back down to the panel he'd been opening and wrenches it free, flinging it up above him as a desperate shield to spare him from a gruesome death. Though it's not enough to protect him entirely as the magic rips a line straight down the left side of his face, exposing sparking wires and causing his left eye to fizzle and fail, the light fading to a dull glow.

"Ow ow ow, that was my good eye you lunatic! Would it be too much to ask for Magtok to have dated a sane person for once? What is it with you and psychopathic girlfriends, Magtok?" Clutching his face, and the rifle he'd pulled out of the panel, Toktok crawls backwards and lets out a burst of laser-fire, albeit somewhat inaccurately since he's only got one hand on the weapon. Hopefully it'll be enough to force his adversaries to at least duck for cover and give him some breathing space. "Tokrats! Get them!"

A chorus of robotic squeaks erupt around Magtok and Asaigh as the Tokrats start to swarm, responding to their master.

<Tokrat 1> "BY YOUR COMMAND!"

<Tokrat 2> "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

<Tokrat 3> "INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!"

<Tokrat 4> "BEWARE, I LIVE!"

<Tokrat 5> "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"

...maybe Magtok was right about the machines lacking creativity and vision. Good thing he can't speak rat! Naturally all five of them leap at Magtok, teeth and claws at the ready to bite and scratch at him. They may be made of metal and therefore have somewhat sharper teeth than your average rat, but they are still rats - it'd probably take them a while to do any sort of lethal damage but it's sure as hell not going to be pleasant if they hit their target.

More squeaks can be heard in the distance. The Tokrats are swarming. It's only a matter of time before another wave scurries forth to attack Magtok the two of them.

11. - Top - End - #71

Much Later, in the Entrance Foyer

"It's getting better," Magtok promises, gesturing with both arms outstretched towards the steadily-improving entrance hall of the MagCave. The vegetation has been cleared away, every inch of the floor has been scrubbed clean, and the cyberwolves have been driven back from the area. Ragged, moth-eaten banners that once proclaimed the lord's magnificence have been stripped from the walls, leaving discolored rectangles that only serve to highlight how much more dirt and grime still needs to be scoured from the place, but that too, is a task that has already been set in motion. The north wall shines as if it were new, and a trio of modified roomba drones are already hard at work getting the eastern side of the room to the same level of cleanliness.

"I mean, it's probably one of the safer places in the Nexus now, so long as you stay away from anything marked with caution tape," he adds, even though there three doors here in the foyer that have those yellow and black stripes barring entry. Of course, one of those rooms belongs to Needs, so that door's always going to be off-limits. Still, can you really say it qualifies as 'one of the safer places in the Nexus' when it has these kinds of rules in place? Do you think VIGIL has a 'go to the downstairs bathroom without a loaded shotgun at your own peril' policy? Have you ever seen anyone at The Dancing Fox Inn try to demand rent payments from a sapient pickle jar? Does HALO's cafeteria get regular visits from The Slanderman, a ghoulish creature of the night who lives six floors below, and was internet-famous seven years ago for being accompanied by a small swarm of granite wasps and his disquieting tendency to speak only in media rumors and hearsay? Yeah, I didn't think so.

"I don't know if Renee is home right now, but if you see her and I'm not around to do all the talking, let her know you're not an invader and you have permission to be here, okay? Preferably before she gets her chainsaw hand's engine started," the cyborg cautions, setting down some luggage he'd been hauling along for Caelynn.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

Housing a Cat

"It looks better." Caelynn compliments, setting down a cumbersome cardboard box with a grunt. It was nice of him to bring in her suitcases, of course, but couldn't he have take that instead? Raptor Christ it weighs a ton! Who knew a vast assortment of medical textbooks, history books, regular normal person books, and maybe a trashy romance novel or two would be that heavy? All that was in her luggage was her sheets, blankets, clothing, electronics and toiletries. The heaviest thing in there was her laptop, and that was a light and unimpressive number (for the future, at least).

"Okay, yeah, I can do that. Hopefully she'll won't think I'm some crazed fangirl trespassing for a look at the legendary cyborg himself." Caelynn, please, don't kid yourself. Even if you do look good for your age, you still look too old to look like one. We're talking about Magtok, not Yanni... although, the era where Magtok might have had fangirls is long past, maybe Renee would think you just never got the memo. "So... where can I settle down, and what rooms are safe to use right now?" I mean, Magtok's probably been busy trying to corral all sorts of horrific abominations and wacky science experiments gone wrong. Hopefully he remembered to liberate the kitchen or the laundry room too.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

13. - Top - End - #73

Housing a Cat

Magtok picks the suitcases back up. He'd only set them down for a moment to give his arms a rest; Caelynn's room is down this way. The catgirl will be grateful to find that there's no staircases to be traversed, narrow hallways to pass through, or doorways incapable of fitting that massive cardboard box she's got with her, but it's still probably a bit more walking than she'd prefer.

"Well I'd recommend taking a weapon with you if you plan on checking out the cafeteria. A lot of things down below smell food upstairs, and leave their territories to come up here and try to forage. If it's bigger and/or nastier than you are; just back away and leave it alone. Nothing in there worth getting in a fight over. The bathrooms have been safe so far, but they're a source of water, and there's only one door in or out so I don't like to go in there unarmed, either. The living room's okay, laundry room's secure, and I've managed to clear out a couple of the bedrooms down that way, and I-Oh!" He does a small hop in excitement, spinning in place to face her as he hovers down the hall. If the dopey, overeager grin on his face is anything to go by, I don't think he's even noticed how much trouble Caelynn's had with that box, even though he's turned about and is looking right at her.

"There's a thing I wanted to get your opinion on right after this! I'm working on a sort of of provisional solution to the whole 'no clones, no Magbots' problem. It's still in the prototype phase, and I'll probably get rid of it once I get the clones back, but I think it might help with clearing this place out and dealing with all the spooky doom beasts down below." Oh boy, that sure sounds vaguely alarming, doesn't it?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

14. - Top - End - #74

Battlefield: Home

Caelynn sighs as Magtok leads her further into the Cave, hefting up the weighty container with another grunt. She was not built for this - well, not anymore, at least. Time was a cruel mistress, and so was its spouse, Lack of Devotion to the Maintenance of Physical Fitness. "D-Doesn't sound, ugh, too bad." Don't be an idiot, respect your local wildlife, speak softly and carry a bigass stick if something goes for your jugular anyways. It was certainly going to be an interesting shift in home life... but it didn't surprise her much. I mean, it is the Nexus after all, and not just the Nexus, but Magtok's corner of the Nexus. Things were bound to be somewhat chaotic and risky.

But then, excitement occurs! Caelynn's first thought is to offer some cheeky remark about strapping gatling lasers to roombas or unleash hordes of lasgeese... but something stops her. Most likely the cheery exuberance the cyborg is radiating right about now. She hadn't been back for very long, but she already knew well that Magtok had likely not been in such a good mood for quite a long time. "Oh? What wild and daring plan has our beloved cyborg whipped up this time?" She asks instead, her eager tone slightly hampered by the struggle to carry that weight.

...No, not that, I mean the box. i don't think she's even seen the show yet actually.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

15. - Top - End - #75

Cat on Duty: MagCave Warfare

"Oh no. Not telling. I wouldn't be able to put on much of a show if I just explained the whole thing right here and now, would I? I will say that it's loosely inspired by something I found while on a particularly thrilling and dangerous adventure in the depths below, however. Maybe there's a little plagiarism of a movie I saw, too. Hold on, let me get the door for you-" Magtok puts the suitcases down for a moment and pushes open the door, revealing a remarkably spacious bedroom, complete with a queen-sized bed, nightstand, closet, floor safe, attached bathroom, emergency metal shutters to pull over the door, and purple M-monogrammed bedsheets, in case you ever forgot whose evil lair you were sleeping in. It's a bit much, honestly, but that's just what we've all come to expect from Magtok, isn't it? He drops the suitcases on the bed and hurries over to help Caelynn with the box, because she's been struggling with the thing this entire time and he's all out of excuses not to help.

"It's going to be nice to have someone else around, by the way. The place gets spooky when it's just me. I mean, there's Needs, but usually he's off on some other planet, literally or metaphorically. Renee's usually out doing...I don't even know. Chainsaw action girl adventures, I think? She's so strong and confident now. She doesn't really need me anymore. Or anyone, really," the cyborg smiles wearily, trying not to let all the missed birthdays and Thanksmasses show. She lost her entire hand and he wasn't there for her when it happened, after all. She seems to have come out of it okay, though. He hasn't met anyone half as confident as her since he got back to the Nexus, and he knows better than anyone how far just a little bit of confidence and a whole lot of ego can get you in this world. He must've done something right when he was around to be a father to her. That's what really matters, right?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2018-12-06 at 06:51 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

16. - Top - End - #76

Look At This Cave, Fifty Thousand Magtoks Used To Live Here...

Caelynn smirks. "Ah, there's that flair for the dramatic I remember! I can't wait for you to tell me all about the dangerous escapades this place has caused for you. It was almost perfect that the MagCave would provide them, after all - it certainly fits the spirit of its founder. Of course, Magtok usually found himself pulled into the crazy adventures rather than creating them of his own volition... but that's just semantics!

It takes a couple of seconds before the room gets a proper circumspection as the doctor carries the box inside, placing it down and pausing to catch her breath. Once she does take it all in though, her eyebrows raise in surprise. "Magtok, I know you said your place was a mess, but I don't think you had to put this much work into cleaning up!" She remarks. It was nicer than the hotel room, and certainly nicer than her last apartment. But dwelling on that doesn't last very long, as Caelynn detects more melancholy reflection.

The older woman walks over towards Magtok before resting a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Hey... just because she doesn't need to rely on you, doesn't mean that she won't care about you. She assures. "I mean, you saw how Blanche and I were. She's... well, she's a little cold, but it's not like she doesn't care about me. Sure, it wasn't like I was gone from her life for years, but there were some pretty rocky years...." Caelynn stops herself before trying to reassure by comparing her own relationship with her offspring transforms into venting out the struggles and ordeals that they had. She didn't want this to become some sort of "my sorrow is bigger than yours" contest. "Point is, you're not the only one who has fears about becoming irrelevant there... but it hasn't happened, and I think if there's hope for me, there's much more hope for you."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Mag Effect 2

"You're right," Magtok admits, squaring his shoulders, picking his chin up, and standing tall as he strides out of the bedroom. Oh, I guess they're unpacking the suitcases later, then? "In fact, I've been wasting way too much time worrying about being irrelevant or forgotten. By Renee, by the Nexus, by the other Magtoks...it's so stupid! I'm going to be the MagClone personally responsible for getting the cloning tanks and this whole lair fixed back up! I'm going to help save the world from an evil dragon lady and rescue a death goddess! A cute catgirl milf's sharing my bed-" Magtok pauses here to make it clear which catgirl he's talking about, turning around to make sure Caelynn's been dutifully following him to the living room and also to give her a quick smooch.

"-and just a few months ago, I hosted the Spooktober party that virtually everyone went to! Everything's been going fantastic so far; why have I been letting something so dumb distract me from that?" I suppose that is one way to look at things. I'm not sure I can share Magtok's momentary burst of optimism, given the forces arrayed against our cyborg, but it's still good to see a confident smile on his face for change. With that same unwavering confidence, he starts flipping couch cushions once he gets to the living room, checking behind the sofa and under the coffee table, too. Jeez, is that where he was hiding this great and amazing new prototype, under the couch?

"We're destined for greatness, Caelynn. Maybe nothing quite as bold as back in the day, but I've still got more than enough spectacle and extravagance up my sleeve to rock this tired, quiet little interdimensional crossroads' face off. Soon they'll know Lord Magtok, the scheming supervillain supreme, the amazing mechanical megalomaniac, the Once and Future Prince of the Nexus!" proclaims the madman who regularly insists that he's totally retired from all of that awful pomp and circumstance. He finally finds what he was looking for on an end table, placing what looks like a ridiculous set of bunny ears tv antennae on his head. You know, the sort they used like a hundred years ago, when televisions were that incredible, newfangled home entertainment technology. Yeah, those.

"I'll need someone sane this time around to reel me back and keep me from going too crazy, though. Someone with human empathy and common sense and such. That's where you come in." Oh, is that so? So you're taking constructive criticism from Caelynn now, Magtok? Good, because those metal antennae make you look like an idiot, and someone really needs to tell you before you take this terrible idea of yours outside the MagCave.

"When I activate the prototype, I'm going to pass out. Going to do this on the couch, because I'm not stupid and don't want to collapse onto the floor," Magtok explains, lying back on the couch in preparation for...whatever the hell this prototype does. What good are the tv antennae if they knock him out cold?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

18. - Top - End - #78

Meet the Maginsons?

The brief smile that forms as Magtok's tone waxes optimistic quickly fades as Caelynn realizes that her message might not have been taken entirely as intended. She was trying to tell him not to fret so much about fame and relevancy, and now he's just focusing on why he'll absolutely have fame and relevancy! The compliment and kiss on the cheek largely rectifies this expression however, evoking a fond little smile and a faint blush.

"Well, 'Once and Future Prince of the Nexus' might be a bit too wild of a title," the catgirl comments, sliding easily into the role of sane adviser as she stifles a giggle at the ridiculous pair of antennae her boyfriend is wearing. "But whatever title you go by, I'm sure I can handle a role like that." it's not the worst choice in the world, to be fair. Caelynn's done dumb things before, but she isn't crazy herself... and besides, she's certainly mellowed out since then. "Hey, he could have someone like Marciano sitting next to him right now" isn't the highest form of praise, yes, but it's a start.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #79

We Wish You a Maggy Thanksmas

"You're right, it is a bit much. Honestly, I'm only aiming for like, Dipsnig levels of notoriety, tops. Let VIGIL and whatever HALO's doing now get the lion's share of the attention; I'll hang up the metaphorical cape after this dragon situation is over and just run a MagMart or two," Magtok admits, which is quite a step down from prince of the entire universe, but still quite a lot. Dipsnig might be a gross ugly goblin, but he's not exactly inconsequential. People know who he is and what he does; MERC almost as big as VIGIL these days.

"Anyway, I'm going to pull the switch and pass out now. Please save all questions and comments for after the song, thank you," he remarks, flicking a little switch on the ridiculous helmet and fainting on the living room couch. Okay, so everything seems to be going as he described so far, but wh-Wait, hold on a second, song? After what song? Who said anything about a song?!

"O come, all ye hateful
    Feral and repugnant
    O come ye, o come ye to MagCave's first floor!
    Come and behold Him
    Caroling in unison!"

Oh. He built a trio of Magbots to sing Thanksmas carols for him. They stride into the room, clad in purple robes, reading from a script as they sing in unison, each marked with a 1, 2, or 3 painted in purple on their faces. Except...hold on, these aren't Magbots exactly. Magbots never had those little antennae on their heads, nor did they look cobbled together from scrap metal and recycled electronics. Magbots didn't wear the cyborg's own robes, either; that kind of thing was expressly forbidden. Most of them just went about naked because there were no anatomical features above or below the waist to hide from the world.

"O come, let us restore Him
    Do all the fighting for Him
    Be extra bodies for Him
    Magtok, the Lord!

That's neat, I guess. You can definitely tell this is just a prototype, though. 3's voice is a little higher-pitched than the other two, they all sound similar to Magtok but not quite right, and 1 is missing a finger on its left hand. I wouldn't be surprised if Magtok probably put more time and energy into getting the song right than making the drones look nice. Still, if he's really piloting these bodies remotely, that's quite a step up from having to face all this lair's dangers himself. It's even more impressive when Drone 1 and 3 step back, letting 2 take center stage and sing a solo whilst they reach into their chest cavities and produce a pair of trumpets to play along. Exactly how fancy and sophisticated must the cyborg half of Mag's brain be, if it can operate three bodies at once, all of them doing different things simultaneously?

Magbots defied Him
    Seeking independence,
    But these brainless rustbuckets here will never betray
    Just an extension of your boyfriend's body

O come, let us restore Him
    Do all the fighting for Him
    Be extra bodies for Him
    Magtok, the Looooooord!"

The drones take hold of each other's hands and bow. A decent performance, but only the first two stanzas? You used to put a whole lot more effort in than that, Magtok. Although even this small show is a bit much for just a tech demo. Couldn't you have just done some juggling or something? Singing isn't exactly one of the first few dozen things that comes to mind when I think of 'stuff Magtok could do better, if only he had a few extra bodies lying around.'

"Alright, now before I turn the helmet back off, I'm sure you have some questions, Caelynn. For starters, yes, that's me piloting all three of these," Drone 1 explains. Err...I mean, Magtok explains, but with Drone 1's audio hardware. Actual Magtok is still unconscious on the couch. "Also, I used to do dorky little Thanksmas carol things like this all the time back in the day. I wanted to try to squeeze in just one this year, no matter how goofy and self-aggrandizing it'd sound. And yes, I swear, honest to gods, I know exactly how goofy this stupid nonsense is. I'm not completely unaware of how foolish I make myself look on a daily basis, I promise."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanksmas Morning

I'll be hooooooooome for Thanksmassss
    Yoooooou can plan on meeee
    Please, have snoooow and mistletoeeeeee
    And presents under...the tree

Renee's singing voice could certainly use work before she holds a candle to the old crooner, but her voice still rings out from in front of the MagCave on the morning of Thanksmas. Her feet crunch through the snow, a small sleigh pulled behind her full of packages, bags, and boxes(some even without tags). Puddin Jr. is wrapped around her shoulders like a scarf, but he has a scarf of his own and even a little stocking cap. Thankfully there was snow on the ground or else the young woman would have had a terrible time of dragging the heavy looking sled behind her, but even so it seems like she had been doing it for a fair distance already if her panting was evidence enough.

When she reaches the entrance she finally drops the reigns and removes the little antler headband she was wearing before straightening out her bright red and white Thanksmas coat, complete with a broad black belt and those silly Thanksmas shoes that had the pom-poms on the curled up toes. Hopefully she'd gotten here early enough to sneak in, set the presents under a tree(if there was one, otherwise she'd have to send Jr. out to get one, the unlucky grub), and set to cooking a Thanksmas feast.

She didn't really trust her father with that last bit.

21. - Top - End - #81

Thanksmas Morning

That's probably for the best. Cooking has never been dear old dad's specialty. Magtok's always been more of a 'look up directions online or make a bunch of Magbot do it for me' kind of cook. It doesn't help that enough people used to live here that the dining room was more of a cafeteria than a private family table, either. Food had to be bought and prepared in bulk to feed all those clones, staff, ants, and catgirls pouring in and out of the place all the time.

There is a tree, though. Magtok didn't forget that. He and Needs went outside and hiked through the snowy woods encircling the mountain lair until they found a nice conifer of the appropriate size. Needs did most of the work cutting it down while Magtok did most of the carrying it back home and complaining about the cold. This year's tree doesn't reach all the way up to the foyer's ceiling or require several dozen Magbots to lift it like the last few did, but is more of a standard, normal-people Thanksmas tree. No hundred foot Rockefeller Center tree this time; there's nowhere near enough people here to manage that sort of thing.

There is a Gävle Goat, though. Needs wanted one, and after he looked up what a Gävle Goat was, Magtok wasn't going to argue. I mean, compared to all the other weird, eldritch things Needs has asked for before, a giant flammable goat made of straw is pretty tame, right? We can just move it outside and burn it down after Thanksmas if Needs doesn't do so himself.

Speaking of the cyborg, Magtok himself is still snug in his bed. It's Thanksmas morning after all, where else would he be? The shopping's all done; presents for Renee and Caelynn have been tucked under the tree. He quit Conference Z a few weeks ago, so he doesn't have a full time job to keep him in the habit of waking early and rushing to work.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanksmas Morning

Renee slinks through to the tree, planting several of her packages beneath. A number for her father, a few for Needs, and even a couple unlabeled ones for Magtok's main(living) squeeze. When they all awaken, they will find the smell of food cooking wafting from the kitchen to fill up the rest of the Cave. Sure, it was hard to cook with just one hand but Renee at least had her Little Helper in Junior. Thanksmas Goose, honeyed ham, candied yams with marshmallows, all sorts of stuffing, cranberry sauce, and even a large number of dinner rolls all slathered in butter are placed on the table. Each place is set, the good silver used with the fine crystal being taken out of the closet for just the occasion. She even leaves a little tray of sugar cookies near the goat, as if it were an offering.

When all the cooking is said and done, and the presents all placed neatly beneath the tree, only then does Renee pull on her garish light-up Thanksmas sweater and settle down in a chair with music playing to wait. She was quite happy to be productive.

Spoiler: Ant-Chat
    Show

{LOAD PREVIOUS HISTORY}

Professor MoriANTy: Hello? Can anyone hear me? If so, I...I'm sorry.
    Professor MoriANTy: I...I guess no one talking means I'm kinda out of range of you all now, huh? I'll try again in a bit.

Message Sent: - FOUR WEEKS AGO -
    Professor MoriANTy: Hello?
    Message Sent: - TWO WEEKS AGO -
    Professor MoriANTy: Hello? Anyone there?
    Message Sent: - ONE WEEK AGO -
    Professor MoriANTy: G'morning, everyone.
    Professor MoriANTy: Still here. Hope you all are having a good day. Thanksmas is next week! I'll try to send something nice.
    Professor MoriANTy: So...I guess this is kinda it, huh? Thanksmas is tomorrow. I hope you all are doing well. I...I know I haven't exactly been the best spawnling this year and maybe...no, I /definitely/ pushed Cassius too hard before I left. I hope I'm not blocked or anything and that I'm just out of range. This part of Dad here seems to be doing...okay. A bit rough lately it looks like, but things are looking up! I made sure to get him something nice for Thanksmas, for Needs too. I've sent packages back home to you all, to the Aunts too.
    Professor MoriANTy: I...I still love you all. Very much. Even Cassius despite the whole arm thing. I don't hold it against him. It's all my fault anyway and I know that. I just hope...just don't leave me hanging, okay? I...I'll check in with you all in the morning. Promise.

Message Sent: - Yesterday @ 1917hrs -
    Professor MoriANTy: Merry Thanksmas! It's all set up here. Hope it is going well back home. Love you.
    Message Sent: - Two minutes ago -

Several People Are Typing...

Anyone coming up on Renee will hear just a small sniffle, possibly from a bit of dust before she blows her nose on a napkin and settles back in to wait.

23. - Top - End - #83

Thanksmas Morning

Magtok shows up, eventually. It takes him longer to drag himself out of bed than it used to, now that the old rat race isn't at the forefront of his mind every waking minute. He doesn't have to be everywhere, doing everything. He doesn't have to keep up with whatever all the other Magtoks are doing, strive to be better than each and every one of them by dazzling the world with whatever project he's taken on as his own. Heck, without all those other eyes on him constantly, he doesn't even have to shave every morning, as his fuzzy chin makes abundantly clear.

Stubble isn't the only area where Magtok's newfound lethargy can be seen, though. It's been a few months; he's going to have to either negotiate a peace treaty with the washing machine or visit the laundromat like a normal human being soon, because he's running out of clean robes. I mean, I know it's that time of year, but the Thanksmassacre mk 3 Armorweave Battle Robe was meant for battle, not lazing about the lair and hiding your burgeoning gut. It definitely isn't supposed to worn with those ugly grey sweatpants, either.

Fortunately, whatever his questionable aesthetic choices may imply about his thoughts and feelings about public relations and holding himself up to the standards of the other MagClones, Dadtok still cares an awful lot about Renee, and that's why the very moment he hears a sniffle coming from her general direction, he's there in an instant, springing into action like Watchforce does every Saturday morning. She's upset about something. Why is she upset about something? Nobody should be sniffling or fighting back tears during this, the holly-jolliest of holidays seasons, least of all his daughter.

"Morning, Renee. Merry Thanksmas," he greets her, dragging a chair along the floor and across the room to sit beside hers, ignoring the perfectly serviceable chair that had been right next to her the whole time. He doesn't say anything else after that, doesn't push or pry or demand to know what's going on, but there's a patient, expectant sort of look in his eye. She's going to say what happened, and then he's going to hug her and everything's going to be fine, right? That's how this sort of thing usually goes, doesn't it?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #84

Thanksmas Mornin'

Magtok isn't the only one making an appearance, to either Renee's fortune or dismay. Or some other emotion entirely; it's not my character, and I know as little about her potential reaction as Caelynn herself would! Her style of attire might be fairly different, clad in a faded purple sweatshirt and dark blue flannel pajamas, but there's plenty of resemblance between her and Blanche. Almost like a paler, older and more matured version of her - if her jaw was a little less angular, and she wasn't more than just adequately in shape. Caelynn is a doctor, not a soldier, after all! The long blonde hair still mussed up from sleeping is a more golden hue, and those tired pupils are a vibrant purple rather than pink.

"Oh, uh, morning." She greets awkwardly, still trying to shake the sleepiness from her system. She kinda stands off to the side as Magtok comforts Renee, not really sure what to do here.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanksmas Morning

The sniffle comes again, but Magtok will see a smile under it after he moves his chair close. "Everything's fine, Dad. Better even." Renee admits, wiping her eyes on her sleeve before sliding off her own chair to give him a tight hug. "Merry Thanksmas, Dad. Everyone else says hello too." She says, smiling before backing off to go sweep up a couple presents in her arms. "Here, I got you these." Hopefully the presents would do well enough to deflect the topic away from why she'd been sniffling. Behind her, Junior shuffles in slowly from the kitchen, a platter of cookies and a couple cups of coffee carried in on his back for Magtok and Caelynn. The grub was sporting a little red nose and a tiny pair of antlers. Where he got them is probably going to remain a mystery.

The two presents fairly light and seem to come in the typical clothing gift boxes that plenty of department stores package their holiday gifts in. One was significantly larger than the other though. The smaller box contains several pairs of socks...all of which are brightly colored with unicorns and ladybugs and even one set that's pink with white hearts. The second box holds a long billowing black cape with plum silk interior lining. The collar looks like it could pull up to obscure most of his head, and resting right on top is a shining chrome Pulp-Style Raygun. There's extra ammo included.

"And I didn't forget you too. I had to take a bit of a gamble since I don't know much about you, but I figured that if you're with my father there's a certain mindset that you might have." Renee tells Caelynn, offering her a package of her own. Inside rests her own cloak, much like Magtok's, but of a much deeper indigo. There's a matching elegant domino mask and her own smaller(but no less shiny) raygun as well. "I hope you two enjoy them. I do hope I haven't misread the situation though. If that's the case, um...sorry."
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2019-01-06 at 08:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Thanksmas Morning

"There's no one in the Nexus who couldn't benefit from owning a ray gun. I mean, a lot of people are boring and would just use it for self-defense or have it displayed somewhere, but still," Magtok opines, striking a few poses with his retro-futuristic gift. Truthfully, Caelynn doesn't really seem like the cops-and-robbers type. I mean, if Magtok really insisted on it, maybe she could be talked into joining in on some criminal enterprise, but I don't think she'd enjoy herself very much. Too moral to be a decent henchwoman. Maybe she'd be up for wearing the domino mask and creating some ridiculous alter ego in the bedroom, but you don't really need the cloaks or the guns for that. Plus, even if they did do a heist, VIGIL would probably send Blanche in to try to stop them, and then everything would get all kinds of horrendously awkward.

Speaking of horrendously awkward, the socks...those aren't meant for Caelynn, are they? No wait, this is one of those silly gag presents, isn't it? She's messing with her dad, thinking she'll get a good laugh out of this one and then see it returned to the store later! Well phooey on that! Magtok will make a point of wearing them anyway (not right now, he's already got a pair of socks). In fact, he'll take the unicorn ones to his great big doomsday battle of destiny with Feiadyne, just because he can! That'll show them all!

"Thanks, Renee. Your gift is in the little blue box under the tree. Caelynn, yours is the green one," Magtok points out, before reaching for a cookie or two from Junior. The latter is a rather large model building kit, with detailed instructions for putting together a tiny, scale model pre-war Riverside, full of tiny scale model people. Renee's present is...some sort of high tech bracelet? It looks sorta like it'd fit perfectly on what's left of Renee's damaged arm, and if placed there, generates an odd sort of holographic forearm when turned on, processing signals from her nerves to flex, curl, grip, and all those other things hands are good for, with the notable downside of being totally intangible and incapable of actually interacting with the world around her.

"Listen, I know you're as smart as anyone. I know you'd have your hand back already if you really wanted it. You've got your reasons for not doing it, and I respect them, even if I don't know what they are. Those phantom pains and weird ghost feelings are a bitch and a half to deal with, though. This will...it won't make them go away, exactly, but it'll be easier to deal with them. The brain just has to think a hand is there, even if you know there isn't one." Oof. Not so sure this was the best idea, Magtok. I hope you saved the receipt on that holo-hand, or maybe got her a second present, in case she didn't like this one.

"Oh, and Needs got you both something, too. One second," Magtok asks, reaching into the tree itself, and pulling out a sword. Not just any sword, but a beautiful, shining steel blade, a Napoleonic era sabre with Alis volat propriis engraved in the hilt. That would probably be more than enough, Needs could've stopped there, but the sabre has also been enchanted by the cyborg sorceror. With but a few syllables of Draconic, which the wielder instinctively understands just from holding the weapon, the sabre can slice through time itself, leaving glowing wounds in reality for the foolhardy and suicidal to walk into and cut themselves upon. Not Renee's usual style, sure, but you never know when you might need a handcrafted magical sword of destiny. Better to have it and not need it, right?

Next, Magtok reaches for Caelynn's present, sticking his hand under the tree this time, instead of into some sort of weird interdimensional rift or whatever. Needs Food Badly's present for his brother's girlfriend is, surprisingly, just a totally normal bottle of wine. French, just like the sword, though much less practical for murdering people with.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

27. - Top - End - #87

Feliz Maggidad!

Caelynn straightens in surprise as the drones burst into the scene, ears perking and eyes widening as they began to sing before she breaks out in a broad grin and a soft laugh. This was so Magtok! There was no better way to put it, even if it did sound like the statement of a nineteen year old party girl. Her grin broadens a little more at his casual referral as her boyfriend - it felt nice to hear it in words.

As the song ends, the woman applauds with a smile. "I had a feeling. And I trust that, you know your presentation after all! Magtok was smart, and he always did have a sharp mind for appearances. Caelynn had no illusions that every goofy shenanigan and silly, self-aggrandizing proclamation had its own calculations and designs behind it. Maybe it helped that she got to see the honest, more vulnerable side of the cyborg earlier at Mallside. She frowns, suddenly worried. "I hope you'll be able to put some more work into them first, though." If these drones were going to defend and assist Magtok, Caelynn didn't want to see him cut corners....

Thanksmas Morning

Caelynn looks surprised as Renee turns her attention towards her, honestly not expecting that she would get a gift for her. It's not an unpleasant surprise, however! Being welcomed in like this definitely brought a feeling of relief. Her expectations for how Renee would treat her was neutral at best and rejecting at worst... but maybe Blanche's guarded suspicion wasn't a good benchmark for this sort of thing.

"Oh! Um, thank you Renee!" Still a little tired, but not tired enough to respond with a genuine smile at least! "I can't promise I won't be boring, but I might still have a couple dastardly shenanigans left in me." Caelynn punctuates that statement with an affectionate smile towards Magtok as she finishes donning the fabulous-looking cloak with an elegant flourish, a glimmer of vivaciousness in her vibrant eyes. Perhaps she still has it in her after all. If they send Blanche of all people to stop whatever bombastic heist or dazzling show of force they put on... well, they'll deal with that bridge when they come to it.

But enough musings, gifts must be dispensed! Thanksmas demands it!

"Oh my... when I suggested a model, I wasn't expecting something this grand!" The catgirl states with a flattered grin. She thought it'd be like, a propeller plane or something, not this! It certainly looks like a difficult undertaking... perhaps she'll need to get the rest of this loose family to pitch in. Could be a good bonding experience for everyone to have!

The gift from Needs draws some less motherly, family-oriented thoughts, however. "...you sure Needs didn't enchant this with something?" She questions, putting on a show of inspecting the bottle before the facade breaks and a goofy little smile forms. "I'm kidding, I'm sure it'll taste wonderful! Let Needs know I said thanks." What, did you honestly think Caelynn would be deeply suspicious of Needs's intentions? Of course not! She knows better than that!

"I didn't forget you two, either!" The doctor promises, handing Magtok a pair of presents wrapped in vibrant purple and patterned with classic 50s robot face designs. It seems Renee isn't the only one with a sense of humor, as one gift is a can of WD40! The other is a more serious and sincere gift; a black watch with golden detailing... and a button by the dial that, when pressed, projects a circular blue energy shield. "I know you like your clever gadgets, and I thought maybe you might like a bit of security, just in case." She's a little bashful about this one, partly because she realized just how doting it was, being worried about Magtok's safety. Renee, meanwhile, is given a gift wrapped in cartoon-zombie green! It's a framed poster of something that Renee surely already owns, Evil Dead: Army of Darkness... and it's signed by Bruce Campbell himself.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-01-12 at 01:43 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanksmas Morning

The poster and sword both bring sparkles to Renee's eyes and she looks over both objects with an appreciative eye. She actually didn't have one of the posters and she smiles as she puts it next to her. The sword, she is more critical of. She stands, gives it a couple gentle swings to check the balance before sheathing it. The final gift...

When she looks over the thing, she frowns a bit. It didn't seem like it was there to replace the missing hand, and surely there was more than a little truth to what her father said. "I...appreciate all three of the gifts." She says, rolling up her sleeve so she can attach the holo-hand. When it activates, she initially catches her breath and winces slightly before a look of relief crosses her features. She closes her eyes, letting out her breath before reopening them and nodding. "I truly do. It is the first time I haven't felt discomfort since it happened. I promise I'll tell you what happened sometime soon, dad, but just not today."

She looks like she's telling the truth, especially given how relaxed she was looking. "I also had a gift for Needs as well, though I assume that he'll somehow gather them up whenever an wherever he wishes to." Inside a small blue box for Needs, there is a pocketwatch that tells not just time, but any Time that Needs wished it to. It'd take just a bit of Power to use it, but it could even count own or to major Events about to happen. "And...well, I didn't know if there were any MagBots left down below or elsewhere, but I even got a few gifts for them as well. Just in case, you know?

29. - Top - End - #89

Thanksmas Eve - Procrastination King

"Oh yeah, these are just the prototypes. They've only got about a range of a hundred meters, they don't look like me yet, and-" one of the drones falters, not sure how much it should be saying aloud. Secret weapons are always at their most powerful when the enemy, one's allies, and even the narrative know little to nothing about it.

"Oh right, almost forgot. We were supposed to unpack your stuff. That's part of the reason why I suddenly dropped everything to do this first. One second," the drone says, before hoisting the inert, unconscious Magtok up and over its shoulder, as the three lead the way out and back to the bedroom to dump the cyborg onto the bed. "See, now I can help you unpack everything and help out three times as efficiently as before, while also lazing around on the bed and doing absolutely nothing. It's perfect," Drone 1 proclaims, turning towards the luggage to get started right away. I imagine Magtok would have the biggest, smuggest grin on his face as the drone says that, if only he wasn't completely comatose.

Thanksmas Day - The Spirit of the Season

"I put out a few help wanted ads for Magbots still out and about in the Nexus, but...well, when I left the Nexus and put Sunny in charge, she set them all free. Just the fact that she felt she had to do that seems...I dunno." Magtok shrugs. He never thought of himself as an unrepentant slave-driver abusing an entire race of sapient androids, but maybe he was wrong. Maybe he didn't dumb down the bots as much as he thought he did; maybe they did have feelings and he just willfully disregarded them all this time.

"We can keep it around somewhere in case any of them do come back," Magtok suggests, before a scaly orange hand reaches out of his chest, pokes at the watch, and magically teleports the watch onto its weird reptilian wrist. It's just about to sink back into Magtok's chest and vanish away when the cyborg scowls and catches it by index finger.

"Oh no. Not today, Needs. You come out of hiding now; this is our first Thanksmas as an almost-kinda family in years," he insists, which is just enough to convince the hand to fade out of reality, and for Needs to appear in person, clad in his usual orange robes, without a single bizarre mutation or abnormal growth marring his visage for once.

"Fiiiiine. Only because you invoked Thanksmas Spirit," Needs grumbles. Thanksmas Spirit is one of the top ten most potent forms of magical energy, after all. He steps forward to hug Renee, shake Caelynn's hand, and roll his eyes at his brother all at once. Yes, all at once, simultaneously, even though they're in three different places. Everyone present will feel something vaguely akin to witnessing three different timelines crudely stapled together, because apparently Needs couldn't be bothered to do each of those actions one at a time, and had to make them all happen concurrently, even if it meant violating time and space and immediately sinking power into his new watch to do so.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

30. - Top - End - #90

[Once upon a MagNight Dreary]

What a convenient time for you to fall asleep, little cyborg, dozing merrily away while part of you controls your MagDrones working away for you.

Affy's cube has been waiting a while to go to work, snaking its way into the unconscious part of Magtok's mind and inducing a dream or two.

Music plays

The world of Magtok's dream rotates in a slow and lazy manner as a pane of glass shatters into hundreds of identical circular mirrors, drifting into space around an invisible central point, slowly circling around it as each mirror starts to spin in a similarly relaxed pace.

Within each mirror, a little scene playing out, Magtok's "training" in swordsmanship, broken down into hundreds of bitesize chunks.

Magtok's "training" broken down into watching his death at the hands of hundreds of masters of the sword, over and over again.

See in this mirror as a peculiar hologram-like female figure shouts "PARRY! PARRY THRUST!" over and over before expertly skewering our hapless cyborg straight through the heart in a single motion.

See in that mirror, as a scottish swordsman declares that "There can be only one!" before swiftly overpowering the cyborg and finishing by decapitating him with terrifying ease.

Over there, Wenomir demonstrating the skills of the Nexus' swordsman in a particularly painful manner.

And over there, Jezebel introducing Magtok to the business-end of eviscerator. A somewhat more unorthodox style of combat, but undeniably effective.

Overall, it's certainly quite an "Affidavit" method of teaching, isn't it? Look, over there he's even done a little self-insert, aping a certain Spaniard as he draws a sword from his cane and assumes a fencer's stance, lunging forward to carve an "A" into Magtok's chest, much to the poor cyborg's dismay.

Oh, speaking of Affy, he seems to have appeared in the centre of this madness at some point. With a wolfish smile, he turns to look directly at Magtok, arms raised in gesture to all the mirrors dancing around him. "Pleasant dreams, Magtok?"