New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's Left of the MagCave II: We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

[Seeking The Heart]

Sam walks behind Raril, wishing he was able to wear hiking boots.
    ”So like, what’s our plan here? Just knock on the door and ask if he’s seen the Heart?” he asks, still not really sure if this plan has any chance of success.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Alysha walks with the group in a very casual manner, seeming to enjoy the sights around her as they go. She has her Keyblade in one hand, held up and resting against her shoulder. Her other hand is in a pocket of her pants. Her canvas bag lets out the occasional clink as she goes, the bottles within shifting every few steps.

At Sam's question, Alysha looks to him with a slight smile on her face, shrugging slightly.

Why not? That's what I was gonna try. Might work. And if not the heart itself, maybe he could help us think of a good spot it'd probably be.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Magcave Entrance - Magtok And Groupies Concerned About Vile Evil

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Magcave Entrance

Besides in her leather jacket, there's not really any places for her to have a gun anyway.

"Oh! Hi," Juleka says in a cheery voice. She had previously decided what way she wanted to go with this, but she suddenly had a new idea. It's good improv practice, she figures. "No, I'm not. I just moved in next door," she says, pointing away towards the horizon in some random direction, "so I decided to come around to meet my neighbors, if there were any. You wouldn't believe how many abandoned caves around here there are," she says with a laugh. "Been going around nearly all day just trying to find someone who isn't a murderhobo. Y'know, meeting neighbors, finding out what their favorite kind of cookies are, seeing if they have any allergies, and so on. The usual."

Juleka nods, as if trying to convince Magtok that what she's saying is true. "I'm Julie. Julie K. Oliveira." She holds her hand out to shake, but continues babbling on anyway. "And you are...?"

And then..."Ah!" She makes the look of recognition appear all over her face. "You're Magtok! I've heard of you before." She looks down, as if fumbling with her pockets or something before realizing the paper's attached to her clipboard."Here." Juleka holds out the clipboard, which has a piece of paper on it. "The homeowner's insurance lady told me I had to fill this out and hand it over to you in order to join the Homeowner's Association here, along with dues and other things...she mentioned something like teambuilding activities or something? Like slaying dragons and bookclubs and stuff like that."

The paper on the clipboard has a paper on it that looks suspiciously like the old VIGIL membership form, except with "VIGIL" whited out and replaced with "MAGCAVE", and the paper is headed with "Magtok And Groupies Concerned About Vile Evil".

...See, that's the problem with improvising your lies: any props you had beforehand turn it all into an episode of "Whose line is it anyway"
    I'm sure Magtok's pretty confused about what's going on, so hopefully he can figure this out: she had initially wanted to pretend the MagCave was some organization to join and that she had been duped into joining it, but she decided to change her plan last-minute. "I heard there was also some sort of test you were supposed to give me, but if you don't feel like it, that's okay, I could just tell them that it was something really hard."

Rather than babbling on, she hands over $50 (Homeowner's dues?) and patiently waits for his response.

Magtok stares blankly at the bribe money he's been handed. Exactly what is this Julie K. Oliveira up to? What kind of trick is she trying to pull here, and who's the one who's supposed to be scammed by all of this? Is he the mark, meant to be buried in a sea of misinformation and tricked into agreeing to something that will prove compromising later on? Is it her, bamboozled by this supposed homeowner's insurance lady, who either doesn't exist or is a duplicitous con(wo)man preying on the exceptionally foolish and gullible? What if this is one of those deranged skinwalker things, with an understanding of Nexus society as fractured and diaphanous as their hideous dragonfly wings which Magtok assumes Juleka must have?

"Test, test, test...right! Yes, of course, the test!" Magtok announces, as if there actually was a test all along and he just forgot about it for a moment. See, he might have quite a few doubts about Julie, but the important thing to remember here is that fifty dollars is fifty dollars. With that much money, you could get...I don't know, an entire banana? Magtok's never really had to worry much about money before; he's always been disgustingly wealthy since he opened MagMart, and Magbots have historically dealt with all the small purchases and price-setting for him. Fifty dollars could be a pack of gum or Wenomir's entire annual salary for all Mag knows.

"I'm afraid I must insist on the test, though it'll only take a few moments. I just need to pluck and then burn a strand of hair to make sure you're not a medusa wearing an exceptionally cunning illusory disguise. We've had a lot of trouble with gorgons trying to sneak in and find out if their vision powers work on robots." Yes, a fantastic idea, Magtok! That should resolve the skinwalker question for sure!

"Also, I imagine it was quite the hike to get all the way up here; you probably haven't had lunch yet, have you? RK-5974, be a dear and fetch The Sandwich, would you?" Magtok asks of a Magbot milling about behind him, who dutifully nods and scurries to the kitchen and back. The Sandwich, at least until the Magbot stabs it with a toothpick, eliciting a terrible, agonizing, ear-piercing screech of pain. Somehow, for some reason, this sandwich is magically capable of two things: Feeling pain, and screaming hideously when it does. I don't know who in their right mind would ruin a perfectly good sandwich like that, but that's exactly what's going on here. AGAIN.

"I got it for Renee, but she said she already ate, and I already ate mine, so it was probably going to be wasted on the cyberwolves, the bedwarmer, or the talking rat. Throwing pearls before swine (and one catgirl), y'know?" The cyborg shrugs, as if a tuna fish sandwich that screams all the way down is the most natural and mundane lunch option around. Given that this is the second time he's pulled something like this, and just happened to have the sandwich ready to go before he even met Julie, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually thinks that. Or maybe his fridge is just exceptionally good at indefinitely preserving horrible prank sandwiches for hazing strangers, who knows?

Seeking the Heart

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Seeking the Heart]

Raril leads Alysha and Sam out of the city and into the foothills to where he's pretty sure Magtok's cave is located. His memory was good, but he'd only been here once before, years ago. Things had probably changed since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Seeking The Heart]

Sam walks behind Raril, wishing he was able to wear hiking boots.
    ”So like, what’s our plan here? Just knock on the door and ask if he’s seen the Heart?” he asks, still not really sure if this plan has any chance of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    [Seeking the Heart]

Alysha walks with the group in a very casual manner, seeming to enjoy the sights around her as they go. She has her Keyblade in one hand, held up and resting against her shoulder. Her other hand is in a pocket of her pants. Her canvas bag lets out the occasional clink as she goes, the bottles within shifting every few steps.

At Sam's question, Alysha looks to him with a slight smile on her face, shrugging slightly.

Why not? That's what I was gonna try. Might work. And if not the heart itself, maybe he could help us think of a good spot it'd probably be.

Raril's kidnapping had occurred in a different MagLair, long before this one ever existed. Even so, he still winds up in the right place. Is it because of that one time he came here asking about what happened to Zee, maybe? Has the path to one old lair been consumed by the new one? Possibly. Of course, in the Nexus, sometimes just believing you know the right way to where you're going is all it takes to get there, so maybe that's how he did it. The narrative forces underpinning the world can be very blasé about this sort of thing, especially if the destination promises to tell a much greater story than the journey ever could. Nobody's got time for silly things like 'random encounters,' 'surviving in the wilderness,' or 'asking for directions' these days.

"Raril...and friends," Magtok observes from up above, floating out of the right eye socket of his skull-shaped lair's entrance. His abrupt shift in tone suggests some very mixed, uncertain feelings about the latter, preceded by a sort of awkward, forced politesse towards the former. He did try to torture Raril to death that one time, after all. That was during a particularly dark, unpleasant chapter of Magtok's life he really doesn't like to think about, but worse than that, it was incredibly stupid, edgy garbage, that kidnapping. We could do so much better than that nowadays, if only we had a credible motive to abduct and torment anyone these days. It takes a lot more to really draw Magtok's ire these days. Even Ithuriel, as frustrating and obnoxious as she can be, doesn't really warrant being made into a damsel in distress right now. Plus, that would put one of his estranged clone brothers in the heroic savior role, and bring Ambriel and that stupid cop closer together after foiling him. That would just be...eeurgh. No thanks.

"Whatever it is, I didn't do it. I haven't kidnapped her, I didn't steal the special legendary artifact, I'm not in cahoots with them, and I've got absolutely zero plans that involve catastrophically mangling the Nexus's atmosphere so the clouds overhead spell out my name every twenty-eighth of November," Magtok insists, though the look in his eye suggests that zero just went up to one in these last few moments, now that he's had a chance to really think over the idea. It's not like there are any PC farmers to stand against him if he did. Most people would probably just blame the weather wizard on the news for the unprecedented climate change...
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Rodents are Terrific Tour Guides]

"Of course, sir. Hop on." Jaahlyn kneels down to allow Rattok to get up up. "So where do we start? Is there perhaps a security room somewhere? Even if you don't have any functioning security cameras it could be a good place to set that up. I'm no expert on it, but my coworkers might have some idea how to."
    [Rat Assisted Tour]

Rattok hops up, scurrying in the most dignified way he can manage (it's not that easy with robes!) to perch on her shoulder.

"A security room? Oh yes, I think we have one of those. Let's see, from here I believe we head down that corridor, take the third right, second left, fourth left, third sideways upwards, first staircase down three floors, walk backwards fifty metres - make sure you walk backwards, you don't want to know what's in the walls there, then up that staircase two floors." Did Rattok really just rattle that off so quickly? Well, he's trying very hard to look confident in his directions and not at all concerned that he might have got a right and a left mixed up or maybe that upwards was actually a lengthways.

Still, there's not that many dangerous things that could kill them here. At least, not on the upper levels.

If Jaahlyn manages to follow those directions, they will emerge in large spherical room, with somewhere in the region of a hundred empty mounts on the walls. "Oh, right, I think I looted this room for parts for my robot army."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #155

Magcave Entrance - Magtok And Groupies Concerned About Vile Evil

Given that we don't know what Juleka's hiding under her leather jacket, she could have any number of dragonfly wings hidden under them.

Juleka looks disappointed to find out that she'll have to do the test. Ever since she found out about it, she had been dreading it, not entirely sure what it would be, unsure if she'll actually be capable of completing it. What will it involve? Some sort of sense-swapping minigame? Fight a giant time-eating spider? Sneak into a highly guarded lair? Dance-Dance Revolution? "Fine, if it's an absolute necessity,' she says, defeated. (Ah, who is she kidding? She's finds this exciting.)

Since she must give up a piece of hair, she says, "Sure, if I must. So long as you don't do anything weird with it." She plucks a hair and then holds the tip against her forehead as if letting it kiss her goodbye. "Fare thee well, Ekans, your sacrifice will not be wasted. You were the best hair a girl could have." Much better than Diyóósh, who would always get split ends. She reluctantly hands the hair over to Magtok.
    ...somehow, the hair would act like normal hair regardless of what Magtok does with it.

Admittedly, Julie is a little hungry. She nods, saying that she hasn't had lunch yet. "Thanks." The way the sandwich screams - sure, it's a painful sound - is hilarious and gives her some neat ideas for the future. She should learn ventriloquy, go to the tavern, and trick people into thinking someone got shrunk/turned into/trapped in their food and they need to do something or go on a quest to fix it. Hmm...and...there's an artifact in the tavern that allows the food to speak so it wouldn't able to give any guidance after they leave the tavern. Yup, that sounds like a good plan.

Ignoring the sandwich's screaming (maybe she can't actually hear it?) the woman grabs it and gently squeezes it. She takes a bite out of it, and...it, unsurprisingly shrieks even more.
    And, more surprising, Julie makes a face like she's going to throw up, and puts a hand over her mouth, and turns away. Maybe the screaming actually got to her? She manages to spit out the part she bit into her hand and discreetly(?) crushes it in a ball and put it in her pocket (how can you be discreet when it screams in pain?) and maybe give it to some wild animals later. However, instead of explaining herself, she just says: "You mind if I just wrap it and save it for later? I just remembered that I have a lunch date later with a zombie - and you know what they say about zombies."

Looks like she's (probably) spared from having to eat a screaming sandwich.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #156

MagCave Entrance - Magtok And Groupies Concerned About Vile Evil

Magtok has a lighter built right into one of his fingers, so he can set the strand of hair on fire right here and now, while Juleka's hands are busy with the very loud and obnoxious sandwich he gave her. Oh man, if Julie turns out to be an actual gorgon and he's setting an actual snake (that's been magically disguised as hair) on fire, things are going to be terribly awkward around here. If the hair's just hair though, he's just going to frown, flick the useless strand to the ground, and then take a step back to make sure the wind didn't toss it back at him. We don't want smoldering hair product on the hem of our robe, thank you.

"Yeah sure, whatever," he shrugs a moment later, not terribly concerned with the ultimate fate of his raucous reuben. That screaming sandwich, it's just excess foodstuffs he happened to have lying around, after all. It can't be worth much more than fifty dollars, right? He should probably look into that later, I think. Figure exactly how much money is worth in the Nexus, lest he accidentally embarrass Caelynn by giving their next waiter a dirty, rusted copper piece as a tip. Obviously only the shiny new ones count.

"Zombie lunch date. Is that the Vile Evil you're Concerned with, or does the Nexus have friendly, heroic, good zombies these days?" I think there was actually a zombie at the Thanksmas gathering last year, though Magtok didn't really have any reason to go say hi to it. Her, I mean. Pronouns are important. Wow, how wonderfully progressive of the kids these days, giving even the reanimated corpses a chance to be people. Back in Mag's era, people just sorta carved up the undead without so much as a second thought. Well, most undead, anyway. Destro doesn't count, he was a lich.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #157

Without a sandwich bag or plastic wrap, Juliekana just...puts the in-pain sandwich in a jacket pocket, and...that's it. Let's hope she doesn't forget that's there.
    And the hair doesn't do anything. It's just hair. It's not like it is going to come back as a hair-ghost and haunt the cyborg during the night.

"W-well, yes," the liar says, forgetting that the story she had in mind was that Magtok and his Groupies were concerned with the Vile Evil and the test and application meant that she technically hadn't joined yet. "I was planning on decapitating him after the date. Y'know, like a praying mantis in captivity." She moves her hands in the universal 'praying mantis decapitating her mate' motion, whatever that looks like. "I'm sure you'd probably do the same too, right?"

There's a beat.

Julie notices that magic is starting to build up in her, as the hair on her head looks like somebody rubbed a balloon on it once or twice. She needs to hurry this along and get somewhere far away before something bad happens. "S-so. Anyway. About that test? I don't want him to start eating without me."
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-05-22 at 02:38 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #158

Magtok makes a mental note to never date this one. It probably wasn't going to happen anyway, since he still hasn't sorted out the inevitable catastrophe that will befall him when Caelynn finds out about Libitina and Julie isn't even a catgirl, but it's still a very important thing to keep in mind anyway. Decapitation is never worth it, let me tell you. One of Magtok's top thirty least favorite ways to die, in fact. The French had it all wrong; the head keeps living for a little while after being severed and it's just the worst.

"...Test? Yes, of course, the test!" Hey, hold on a second, we did this part already! The hair burning was the test! Apparently she doesn't realize that, though. That means... that means this is the perfect opportunity to get her to go away, isn't it? Yes, brilliant! We can just set her off on some ridiculous snipe hunt and trick her into bothering someone else!

"To prove you have what it takes to join Magtok's Amazing Gang Collaborating Against Vulgar Enemies, you need to track down Reinholdt and record him falling prey to the most dastard-err, I mean heroic and clever prank you can come up with. Sew a self-inflating whoopee cushion to the seat of his pants, dye his fur bright neon pink while he's sleeping, cast an illusion on his paw so it looks like it's on fire, decapitate him after lunch, whatever you think is best. You'll be graded based on your style, creativity, and efficiency. If it takes you twenty-seven tries to finally get him, your final grade will reflect that." That ought to keep her out of the way for a while, right?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #159

Fact: Juleka never gets any real dates anyway, so he's safe from her in that way. (Well, now that I think about it, maybe there's a reason she doesn't get any.)

She thought the hair-taking part was sort-of like one of those drug tests you take at a police office before the actual test, just to make sure you weren't on steroids or poppy seeds or something. "Yessir," she says, saluting. "Agent June will go without paying for meals for the next week in order to buy a recording device, and won't let Magtok's Amazing Gang down." She relaxes the salute, then turns. "Expect your cookies in no less than one month, cartel time." - oh yeah, she did mention finding out allergies and favorite cookies of people earlier - and lowers her hands (accidentally hitting the pocket with the tuna sandwich with her hand on the way down).

She returns to her motorcycle, leaving the MagCave entrance behind her. She grins: this is the perfect opportunity to do something and pin it on somebody else by claiming she was told to do it. Now all she has to do is figure out where to find this Reinholdt...

With one last over-the-shoulder wave, the crazy woman quickly drives off so she can burn off some of that magic without hurting anyone else. Shoot. Luckily, he didn't invite me in, that could've been bad. she thinks, as she accelerates to almost-unsafe speeds.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #160

Caelynn’s Room

As the morning starts, Magtok will hear a frightened shriek. A moment or so earlier, Caelynn leans out of the doorway, hastily swaddled in bedsheets. ”Um, dear? Did- did Dena drop off her kids or something?!”

((Don’t mind this, just a stand-alone joke post born from stupid jokes and a lack of sleep))
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-05-23 at 11:47 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Raril looks up at Magtok, grinning. "Are you sure you haven't got something up your sleeve, Magtok?" The drow chuckles and waves a hand, dismissing the question. "Regardless, we're not here for any nefarious reasons. We need your help, actually. We're looking for something, and we're wondering if you might know where it is. You've been in the Nexus almost longer than anyone. Longer than me, certainly."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Sam gives an awkward wave with his huge top-right hand.
    "Uh, hi. Yeah, we're not here to accuse you of anything. But floating menacingly out of giant skulls does give a bit of the wrong impression. Still uh, yeah. We're trying to find a super important thing if you don't mind." He'll let Alysha explain. She seems to get it more than he does.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Rat Assisted Tour]

Rattok hops up, scurrying in the most dignified way he can manage (it's not that easy with robes!) to perch on her shoulder.

"A security room? Oh yes, I think we have one of those. Let's see, from here I believe we head down that corridor, take the third right, second left, fourth left, third sideways upwards, first staircase down three floors, walk backwards fifty metres - make sure you walk backwards, you don't want to know what's in the walls there, then up that staircase two floors." Did Rattok really just rattle that off so quickly? Well, he's trying very hard to look confident in his directions and not at all concerned that he might have got a right and a left mixed up or maybe that upwards was actually a lengthways.

Still, there's not that many dangerous things that could kill them here. At least, not on the upper levels.

If Jaahlyn manages to follow those directions, they will emerge in large spherical room, with somewhere in the region of a hundred empty mounts on the walls. "Oh, right, I think I looted this room for parts for my robot army."
    [Rat Assisted Tour]

Aren't robes supposed to make you more dignified? Maybe if you just sat still with them on your throne.
    Jaahlyn can follow the directions good enough to not get lost on the way. As she enters, her eyebrow raise in surprise. This place was in much worse condition than she had though, even the upper levels were a disaster zone.
    She glances at Rattok from underneath her hood. "Robot-army? Impressive, sir. But you didn't mention it before, did something happen?"

14. - Top - End - #164

[Seeking the Heart]

Alysha is quiet for a brief moment, staring up at Magtok with a thoughtful expression. Is she thinking about how to word her explanation?

No.

She's thinking about making various shapes with the clouds.

Sure, you could spell out your name, like Magtok said. But you know what'd be cooler? 3D sculptures of people.

After a moment, the vampire shakes away those thoughts. They were here for something important. Cloud sculptures can wait.

That's right, Alysha says, nodding a bit. We're looking for the Heart of the Nexus. We think something might be affecting it, so we wanna make sure it's alright. And take care of anything hurting it.

So, any idea where the Heart might be?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

15. - Top - End - #165

[Rat Assisted Tour]

Oof, that's an awkward topic to address. Rattok's whiskers twitch hesitantly. Should he say what happened? Considering how lazy Magtok is these days, there's a pretty low chance that he's got round to installing any sort of cameras in here yet, and it's really unlikely he's got some way of tracking Rattok directly-

Or is it?

Maybe it's all a cunning ruse and Magtok is still the same criminal mastermind as before! That flab could just be a pillow, he might've installed some exercise machines somewhere, he might be the muscle-bound athlete he always used to b-

No. No wait, that's the ol' Magtok ego talking again. It's so damn hard to keep under control, and Rattok hasn't even got the full dose of ego that a real Magtok has!

Well that means it's safe, right?

"Oh, well I had a robot army. Then Magtok came back and blew it up." Technically he more sort of deactivated it, but it sounds more impressive if it was all exploded.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

16. - Top - End - #166

Seeking the Heart

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Seeking the Heart]

Raril looks up at Magtok, grinning. "Are you sure you haven't got something up your sleeve, Magtok?" The drow chuckles and waves a hand, dismissing the question. "Regardless, we're not here for any nefarious reasons. We need your help, actually. We're looking for something, and we're wondering if you might know where it is. You've been in the Nexus almost longer than anyone. Longer than me, certainly."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Seeking the Heart]

Sam gives an awkward wave with his huge top-right hand.
    "Uh, hi. Yeah, we're not here to accuse you of anything. But floating menacingly out of giant skulls does give a bit of the wrong impression. Still uh, yeah. We're trying to find a super important thing if you don't mind." He'll let Alysha explain. She seems to get it more than he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    [Seeking the Heart]

Alysha is quiet for a brief moment, staring up at Magtok with a thoughtful expression. Is she thinking about how to word her explanation?

No.

She's thinking about making various shapes with the clouds.

Sure, you could spell out your name, like Magtok said. But you know what'd be cooler? 3D sculptures of people.

After a moment, the vampire shakes away those thoughts. They were here for something important. Cloud sculptures can wait.

That's right, Alysha says, nodding a bit. We're looking for the Heart of the Nexus. We think something might be affecting it, so we wanna make sure it's alright. And take care of anything hurting it.

So, any idea where the Heart might be?

"The Heart of the Nexus...that's a capital-h heart, right? The core of this world, the center of our universe, a thing which it couldn't possibly live without, which has been here all along, longer than any of us?" Magtok asks, hand pressed to his chin as he slowly floats down to the ground in front of Raril and his motley crew. A few years ago, he probably would've remarked that they must be both foolish and blind, to stand this close to the heart of the Nexus and not realize it. Now though, after his long departure, where the world just kept on spinning without him, where his absence didn't really mean anything to the Nexus at all, he knows better than to think himself so indispensable. He's not the Heart of the Nexus. He's only the main character of his own life, not the world. A humbling realization, for sure.

"I assume you guys have tried Trog's already?" That would be Magtok's second guess. Trog's is easily the oldest location that still has activity and regular visitors, and you can get there from pretty much anywhere.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #167

[Rat Assisted Tour]

That causes Jaahlyn to pause, he did what?
    "Pardon if I ask, sir, and I mean no offense by it, but were you trying to take over this base with your army? Since I heard you Magtoks could easily get in feuds with one another." Seemed like half of the things made in this cave were the indirect result of the clones feuding and playing pranks on one another.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Raril nods. "We just came from there, actually. I was thinking of the Arena. You know, where they had the big fight that started the whole Nexus? According to legend, anyways. I've never seen it."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Sam nods.
    "Yeah we came from Trog's. Everything looked normal. And honestly I don't know squat about old stuff 'round here." he says with a shrug.

20. - Top - End - #170

[Seeking the Heart]

Alysha shrugs a bit.

Since Zee said there wasn't anything like that there, Raril suggested we come ask you for ideas. Because you've been here forever. So there's a good chance you'll have some idea.

Why yes, Alysha did just inadvertently call Magtok old. But in a good way.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

21. - Top - End - #171

[Rat Assisted Tour]

Oh rats (hah!), she asked. Well of course she was going to ask, what did you think was going to happen when you mentioned that you had a robot army up until Magtok happened?

Stop panic-grooming yourself, Rattok, that's far too ratty behaviour! You're better than this! Just-

What? Be honest? Could probably try being honest for a little longer.

"Well it wasn't really a feud. He wasn't here and I was, so I made a robot army. He came back to reclaim that MagCave, and decided the best way to do that was to destroy my robot army." Well, almost honesty. Nimbling dodging around admitting that he sort of threw the first punch in that. Magtok wasn't likely to ever be in the mood for talking after nearly getting lasered by a robo-lasgoose.

22. - Top - End - #172

[Rat Assisted Tour]

"Sounds like an eternal struggle. As ignorant as I am in the ways of magtok, I don't understand why you make clones of one another if you always end up fighting like this." Then a idea occurs to her and she leans closer. "Pardon me sir, but there was another thing my boss asked me to help out with. As Magtok's foes goes there is a particular one that sticks out, you know of a dragon named Feia, yes? A great magical dragon that is 'trying to absorb a magical ball even bigger than her gigantic egomaniacal head'. He said you'd understand that description." The satyr smiles.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-06-05 at 04:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Seeking the Heart

Magtok nods. The Arena does seem like the next best option, doesn't it?

"Well, if you can find Sneak's Milk Bar, you should be most of the way there. I think that place opened up before Trog's, as a sort of direct response to the arena fight. Logic would suggest they're both still close together somewhere, collecting dust in the corner because what kind of modern, civilized society has sanctioned pit fights, and more importantly, who goes to a bar for milk?" That was the one part of Town history Magtok never really understood. A milk bar restaurant? Why? While we’re on the subject of early Town mysteries, how about that Indurain guy? Why did people let that one nudist, self-proclaimed emperor guy run amok for so long? Surely there must’ve been laws against that sort of thing...
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Raril smirks a little. Who would have pit fights in today's society, certainly no one would be running them in the basement of his bar.

"I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for that place. It's too bad we can't find an old map or something." Maps were practically useless in the Nexus.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Spiders Are Not Icky

Living metal. That's one of those things that Magtok always found vaguely disconcerting. A field of science he deliberately shied away from, because it didn't feel as pure and honest and true as putting giant lasers on dinosaurs, or building enormous killer death robots, or cloning infinite duplicates of himself and then replacing half their bodies with chrome and circuitry.

"Alright then, how do I get in contact with this Madame Spider?" Magtok asks, the faintest hint of impatience seeping into his tone. Whether or not the living metal is magical or not, of use to our cyborg or just a useless trophy to show off to guests later on, it's still not something we want Zefir to get his hands on. It would be nice if it turned out to be useful, but even now, as a shadow of what he once was, Magtok's ego is still so great that he can't imagine this technology being anywhere near comparable to his own.
    The spider hands over another scroll. This one, instead of any writing on it, simply has a swirling red dot on it, the ink moving around on the page despite being clearly dry.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Sam smiles bashfully.
    "Well...I dunno about an Arena, but I know every place that serves food in Inside. If that's what you want to find, this nose and this brain can get you there." he assures the party.

27. - Top - End - #177

[Seeking the Heart]

Alysha's expression brightens a bit.

A milk bar? That sounds cool! I wonder what kinds of milk they had. Think they did milkshakes, too? I haven't had one in forever!

The vampire gets lost in that thought for a moment.

Anyways, sounds like both places are closed. Have been for a while. That'll probably make them a bit harder to find. But...a place that was around before Trog's could be where the Heart is. Especially if the Nexus was built up around it.

She looks to Sam. Could you sniff out an old food place?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

28. - Top - End - #178

Spiders Are Not Icky

Well, guess it's time to peer at the scroll and find out what happens. Lady Arachne seems to be negotiating in good faith so far, so it's probably not some kind of magical mind control sigil which will enslave him to her spidery will. That would be kinda overboard anyway, wouldn't it? Nah, I'm sure it's safe to look at the thing.

Seeking the Heart

Magtok nods. Good, looks like the adventurer brats know what they're doing. Not really sure why the vampire is so fascinated with milk, given her obvious dietary restrictions, but whatever. This really isn't our problem anymore. Raril and his dumb friends can go sniffing for milk that's been spoiled for over a decade; we've got our own problems to deal with.

"Sounds like you kids have your lead and a plan for chasing after it. Happy to be of service. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to head back in and-" Actually, wait a second. Hold on a moment. Magtok halts abruptly, stopping just as he takes his first step back inside. Are we really going to leave the fate of The Heart of the Nexus to some elf, a vampire, and some pig man? Look at them, they don't even have enough people for this mission. A proper adventuring group should be a band of four at least, not three. What if they screw it up? What if they make things even worse than whatever ailment they're looking to cure? More importantly, can you imagine what we could do with that kind of power? If we cut out our own heart, and replaced it with whatever ancient artifact of indescribable cosmic might is lurking in Sneak's attic?

"On second thought, maybe I'll stick around. No offense, but you three are clearly completely out of your element, and I have a vested interest in the continued existence of the entire universe." Stealing all the credit for saving the world sounds like a pretty great idea, too. Just imagine how easily it'll be to climb our way back to the top of the pile when we can call ourselves Lord Magtok, Sole Savior of the Nexus On At Least Three Separate Occasions Because He's Just That Amazing. Yeah, we're definitely getting in on this mystical cardiac care business.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Spiders are Not Icky

The ink is swirling on the page, but Magtok might get the sense that he can see some coordinates forming from the ink, sort of hovering over the page.

The spider scribbles a note and hands it to him.

You have to touch it for it to work
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Rat Assisted Tour]

"Sounds like an eternal struggle. As ignorant as I am in the ways of magtok, I don't understand why you make clones of one another if you always end up fighting like this." Then a idea occurs to her and she leans closer. "Pardon me sir, but there was another thing my boss asked me to help out with. As Magtok's foes goes there is a particular one that sticks out, you know of a dragon named Feia, yes? A great magical dragon that is 'trying to absorb a magical ball even bigger than her gigantic egomaniacal head'. He said you'd understand that description." The satyr smiles.
    [Rat Assisted Tour]

"Well it's not like anyone meant to make a rat-clone! He doesn't like rats. He hates rats. I would say he only tolerates me because I'm half-him, but that probably gives him less reason to tolerate me! I think he just thinks I'm too pathetic to kill off. That, and I killed off all the leeches for him. That's got to be worth something. There were so many leeches." But hey, what's a few pints of blood between a Magtok and a Rattok?

Hang on, hang on a second, there's a bigger issue here.

"Feia? No, first I've heard of that. But with the MagCave in the shape it's in at the moment, sounds like this dragon could probably just blow it all up an instant. So, why'd you take on a suicide mission to guard him? You'd be better off dragging him out of here."