New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: What's Left of the MagCave II: We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

[Approaching]

Leaves and grass subtly shift, as streams of faintly reflective sand drift along the ground towards the cave.
    A trace amount drifts off into another direction entirely, but the majority of it continues on its path.

Silently, steadily.
    Soon.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Rat Assisted Tour]

Jaahlyn shakes her head. "Lady Feia is preparing something big by the sound of it, sir. A great ritual that somehow involves the shapeshifters roaming the streets of Inside as we speak. If her ladyship truly were going after Lord- er, Magtok personally, she would have struck by now. She might be sending her adherents to do the deed however. But I'm not even sure she considers him a true threat, especially not in this state." She gestures at the ransacked security room. "I won't speak ill of your status so brazenly of course but Lady Feia might consider you something of an afterthought if I'm being honest." A beat. "However, regardless of your feud with the human Magtok, Lady Feia has to be stopped and Magtok is the only one that has experience fighting her so I need to talk to him about her at some point. Do you think he'll speak to me?"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Spiders are Not Icky

The ink is swirling on the page, but Magtok might get the sense that he can see some coordinates forming from the ink, sort of hovering over the page.

The spider scribbles a note and hands it to him.
    Magtok rolls an eye and taps the paper. It'll be nice to talk to an actual person instead of playing this game of nonsense with a spider. Assuming that's where this is going, I mean. Hopefully Madam Arachne doesn't turn out to be a giant spider incapable of human speech herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Spiders are not Icky ZAP!

Magtok will find himself HERE
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

"And we don't?" Raril asks quirking an eyebrow at the cyborg. "I've been through nearly as many apocalypses as you, and I like living in the Nexus. or Acronymia. or Town. or whatever it's going to call itself next week. What makes you think you're anymore qualified than us?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking The Heart]

Sam frowns, holding up a finger.
    ”For the record, I’ve only made it through at best one apocalypse; I’m just really big.” Being big is at least mildly useful when it comes to adventuring.

He can’t say he feels particularly qualified for this, though. But do they really want a fourth party member? Three had felt just right.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

7. - Top - End - #187

[Seeking the Heart]

At Magtok's comment, Alysha narrows her eyes a bit.

Hey. I am not out of my element here. In fact, I'm the most in the element one here! She holds up her Keyblade, showing the odd weapon to the cyborg. You probably don't even have a Keyblade! Can't be in the element with the hearts of worlds without one!

Then she lowers the weapon and gives a wide, pleasant smile. But yeah! I'm fine with you joining and helping us. Should be fun!

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

8. - Top - End - #188
    Halfling in the Playground

[Rat Assisted Tour]

Don't say it, Rattok. Don't say it. You have zero leverage with Magtok. There is absolutely no way you can help Jaahlyn even slightly with this. It doesn't matter in the slightest that she's being nice to you because that doesn't change that fact that there's nothing you can do here. Nothing. You can't-

"Well, I can put in a good word for you. The feud thing's all in the past. I'm helping him out now. I'm sure he'll listen to you if it's about something so important."

Oh sure, the little rat on her shoulder is going to put in a good word for her. I'm sure that'll make all the difference. Why did you say it?

"How did you learn so much about Feia anyway?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

9. - Top - End - #189

[Rat Assisted Tour]

Jaahlyn nods deeply. "I truly appreciate it, master Rattok." She purses her lips at his question however as she seem to consider her answer for a moment. "My boss has a great interest in her and her activities and I was just told everything I needed to know to be able to ask Magtok for more information." She glances at the rat. "But what do you know about her? Are you are of her multiverse-remaking plans?"

10. - Top - End - #190

Seeking the Heart

"You've been through that many apocalypses, sure," Magtok nods, lifting up some innocuous-looking rock and pressing the bright red button hidden underneath. "But the kids here? They're green, Raril. The locksmith especially, who I bet is probably thinking of shouting 'I'm not a kid!' the moment I stop talking. You'll want at least one extra body between them and the really rough stuff. Y'know, the apocalypse baby-killing, the kitten-punching, and the heroic sacrifice at the penultimate chapter of the story. You don’t want to be the sacrifice, right? So you leave that stuff to Magtok instead; none of it even fazes me anymore."

That rock button causes a panel to open up on the ground beside our cyborg. That panel reveals an entire telephone booth that had been hidden away beneath the party, which Magtok promptly steps within and drops a few quarters into.

"Hey Needs, it's me. Listen, I'm going to be out getting milk and saving the world again, so let everyone know I'll be home late. Keep the place secure while I'm gone, and try not to murder continuity any worse than we're doing now. Oh, and could you teleport the laser sword over here for me? The Matter Magnifier too? Alright, thanks.

...Okay yeah, sure. Alright, fine, no bacon jokes either. Can I at least-aww c'mon, really? She uses a giant key for a weapon, how am I supposed to not make fun of that? No no, I know. I know that, Needs. Alright, I'll be good, I promise. I'll contribute to the group dynamic, I won't punch down with my snark, and I'll help out even when it doesn't directly benefit me. Deal?"
    A nod, and then our cyborg hands up. Whoever Magtok was talking to, he seems to have settled his negotiations successfully, as a lightsaber and weird sci-fi gun arrive by magical portal right in front of him, and are immediately pocketed.

"Alright, I've got a blade and my brother's holding down the fort until I get back."

Some Time Ago

Magtok sleeps snug in his bed, with a shiny chrome nightcap atop his noggin. It’s probably nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2019-06-15 at 08:18 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

"Green or no, these 'kids' have what we need to find the heart and keep it safe. Something about the Keyblades." The giant key sword didn't make sense to Raril either, but he took it in stride. "They can purify the heart if it's been tampered with. Not that the heart of the Nexus is going to be very pure to begin with, but at least we can make it normal again.

"And no, I don't particularly feel like sacrificing myself for the Nexus, but I'm surprised you think you'd want to. Rumor around town is you don't have clones anymore. I mean, if you still do, it makes more sense, but if you don't... are you crazy?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Sam is very confused about most of this, but he did catch at least one thing that made sense to him.
    "I mean, Bacon is literally my surname. I've heard all of it before, even before I was this big. If you need to get a little out of your system now, go ahead." Sam shrugs. He spent over a year dealing with Steve the Sword and random passer-by. He's heard just about every pig, pork, and bacon joke that can ever be created.

13. - Top - End - #193

[Seeking the Heart]

Alysha gives Magtok an exaggerated glare. Because she totally was about to say that.

Look, once we find the heart, just follow my lead on dealing with it. However green you think I am, this isn't the first world heart I've had to deal with.

When his items arrive, Alysha has a strong urge to show off her own weapon teleporting ability. But she holds back. This time.

Instead she gives him a slight nod. Alright. Let's go find the heart! Her usual chipperness has returned.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

14. - Top - End - #194

[Rat Assisted Tour]

"Oh, you know, Magtok only tells me the relevant stuff, but I'd basically pieced it together. Giant dragon who wants to remake everything. Yup." Possibly not quite as much of an exaggeration as it may seem. We've been here before. Magtok's been involved in preventing plenty of apocalypses.

Funny that. He's meant to be the villain, isn't he?

"Well, he is still Magtok, you know? When people say they have interest in the big bad thing we need to kill, that's not the same as saying you really wanna get rid of her too. You might want to approach it from a slightly different angle and maybe convince me that you don't plan on being her successor at the same time?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

15. - Top - End - #195

[Rat Assisted Tour]

Jaahlyn chuckles melodically. "I'm afraid that I'm only a pawn in this game. But MERC have far more mundane concerns than god-hood, and Feia is simply bad for business. Besides, my boss is far more concerned about Lady Feia screwing up and in turn screws everyone over than her actually succeeding with this plan of hers. Common magic is hazardous enough so at that level it must be dangerous beyond our comprehension." She waves her hand dismissively. "At some point it just becomes words and numbers you know, master Rattok? That kind of magic is simply beyond me and I'm probably the most magical member of the organization at the moment. Needless to say, we're not in the reality unmaking business. Regular payments is good enough in our book since we're too admittedly too dumb for much more than that." She smiles as if making a joke.

16. - Top - End - #196

Seeking the Heart

"Word on the street is mistaken," Magtok lies, with a severe expression making it perfectly clear exactly what he thinks of those meddlesome rumormongers and their whispers in the dark. The sun has not, nor will it ever set on the Empire of Magtok; our dastardly villain is as invincible as he is incorrigible. This is all just a mild bump in the road, you'll see. The Nexus's heart will be purified, and his rightful place as its foremost prima donna will be restored.

"C'mon, Raril. Do I really look like someone who'd die, even if you killed me? I'm still as immortal and crazy as I've ever been," he arrogantly insists, giving his weird gun a twirl as he marches away from home.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2019-06-19 at 11:37 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

"Don't tempt me." Raril mutters. "Crazy at least, for sure." He agrees. The drow shrugs at the two keyblade wielders and sets off after Magtok.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Oh good, that means Sam won't have to be the party's meat-shield if one of them is immortal. Great.
    And Magtok didn't even take him up on Sam's offer to snark a little. This is going great.
    Now where are they going again?

19. - Top - End - #199

[Rat Assisted Tour]

"Sure, really dangerous magic, that's definitely bad. Don't want any of that really dangerous magic spilling out, do we?" Rattok totally knows what he's talking about. Totally. "Anyway, if you're sure you're not gonna make anything worse, which is something Magtok will definitely be concerned about, then I guess we should go discuss this with him? Uh, lead on?"

20. - Top - End - #200

[Rat Assisted Tour]

"Uh, yeah." A beat. "You wouldn't happen to know where he might have gone, would you? This place has a... really intricate design." She looks around as if not even sure from which direction they had come from. "A result from the multiple Magtok's that once lived here I imagine."

Once Rattok has pointed her in a direction, she will go there to find Magtok. Hopefully not getting lost on the way.

21. - Top - End - #201

[Rat Assisted Tour]

If Rattok were Magtok, where would he, a lazy overweight slob, be right now?

Difficult question. There's so many possibilities!

"Wait, wait, I think I know where he'll be."

Rattok proceeds to direct her to the nearest couch with a tv.

22. - Top - End - #202

[Rat Assisted Tour]

"You lead the way, sir." And they're off to find the couch-potato Magtok.

It's either his couch or his bed, right?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

[At The Entrance]

On the approach to the Magcave is an unusual sight - what appears to be an eight foot tall bronze robot or mech with green trim, though if it's a mech, the person inside must be absolutely tiny to fit into that torso. It has a flat, military looking head, a large jet on its back and the back of its legs, broad shoulders that wouldn't be out of place on a star linebacker, a waist cape made of some kind of reflective material, and several weapons, including a huge katana sized to the machine with technological bits and bobs all over the scabbard where it's currently sheathed, a gauss cannon on the right shoulder, and a pile bunker strapped to the left arm.

The huge thing looks up at Mt. Enn for a moment, before speaking out loud in the voice of a young woman, "Looks like this is the place..." and then begins striding towards any obvious entrance it can find.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

24. - Top - End - #204

Rat Assisted Tour

How dare you! Magtok is a very busy person with a very fast-paced, physically demanding schedule. He's not some couch potato who'd just spend all day sitting around in front of the TV when there's important work to do; that's not how he conducts hims-

"Hey," says a Magtok sprawled atop the couch, watching some ridiculous anime about invalidating my defense of his honor and integrity with his usual callous disregard for the people around him. He's just a little paler than he was the last time Rattok and Jaahlyn saw him, and I think his biological eye was a slightly darker shade of brown, but other than those two little inconsistencies that I'm sure the rat and goat won't even pick up on, it's still obviously, indisputably Magtok, right?

At The Entrance

A massive skull greets the mech suit/mecha. To be more precise, the doorway to the MagCave was replaced with the well-polished, gleaming skull of a giant, with the entire left side of its leering visage cut away and replaced with chrome and wires mimicking Lord Magtok's own, and a hideously expensive-looking red ruby in the left eye socket (it's probably a fake though). Of course, you can only keep so many people out with just really spooky-looking teeth, so there's a more conventional steel barrier lodged in the 'throat' of the beast. At first, it may not look like this new person could possibly fit through this entrance, but that skull's jaw distends aaaaaaallllll the way back, sinking into the depths of the cave, into a groove carved into the dirt specifically so that it might contort itself in this fashion.

"Hey," says a Magtok with an inhumanly low infrared signature, no pulse, and apparently zero regard for his own safety, casually sprawled atop that spooky skull even though there's a killer mech of unknown origins hanging about below him, who could easily have been sent here by one of his enemies to kill our cyborg dead. Is he that confident in MERC's security team's ability to keep him safe, or-

No no, Magtok is clearly up to something here. That's not Magtok, it's...a robot, or a hologram, or Needs set up a magical illusion or something. It looks fairly convincing, though. The right eye is just a little darker than it should be, and I think the real Magtok isn't quite that pale.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

[At The Entrance]

Oh, I forgot to mention it last time, but there's an additional part of the mech that's worth of note - draped across its shoulders is the pelt of some large white beast. Likely a polar bear or something similar. It adds a bit of "Winter Is Coming" flair to this otherwise very technological beast of a machine.

"... Hey," the mech says after a moment, left arm resting against the hilt of the blade at its hip. not in a position to draw it, but seemingly as a comfort, like a worry stone, "I was led to believe this place was abandoned. Not quite so abandoned as they thought, hmm? My name is Kathy," Probably a pilot then, unless there's an AI here that got it in their head to adopt an incredibly mundane name, "You, though, clearly aren't actually here. Is that because you're bringing the defenses to bear, or you just didn't wanna risk having a face-to-face with an unknown?"

26. - Top - End - #206

At the Entrance

"Oh, you can see that?" The Not-Magtok frowns, picking himself up and sitting upright atop his skull-faced lair entrance. "No no, of course you can see it. You've got a whole suite of sensors in there, to pick up on things a mundane eyeball would never notice. I'm sorry, Kathy, if I knew I was going to have such perceptive visitors, I would've worn something a little more convincing. It's the heat signature, right? Maybe the lack of a pulse? I can just shove a prosthetic heart in the chest to simulate the latter, but the former is going to take some work. The eyeball is a little delicate, see, that grade of synthflesh doesn't always respond to heat very well," the cyborg(?) muses aloud, making a few mental notes for the next update to this...whatever it is.

He (it?) then rolls right off the edge of the skull, unexpectedly tossing himself to the ground in front of Kathy. Jeez, that kind of fall right onto one's face would hurt if he were actually Magtok. It might have been enough to give him a concussion, had it been the real thing doing a blatantly self-destructive stunt like that. Fake Magtok just picks himself back up without so much as a wince, though. He dusts himself off, taps at his wrist a few times, and then gives Kathy a smug smile, like this pratfall was all part of some goofy slapstick show put on for her amusement. There's more to this than just looking ridiculous, though. He's clearly messing with Kathy, showing off his utter disregard for whatever happens to this body, no matter how impressive her weapons may be. Is he worried about her seemingly superior firepower, perhaps?

"You can stop worrying about me summoning the defenses, though. I'm the 'ask questions first, shoot later' type. They won't be coming unless you're really, really adamant about the whole scavenging thing, even though your intel is a few months out of date and the mad lunatic squatting in the ruins is actually an eccentric genius rebuilding his MagCorp empire." Magtok, you're still squatting in ruins. They're just slightly nicer, safer ruins than they were when you found them. The safe and secure parts of the MagCave are like the visible portion of an iceberg; there's just so, so much more lurking below the surface.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

[At The Entrance]

The approach of a mech hasn't escaped the notice of the security teams inside. Several pairs of eyes are watching it from the inside... but not just with security in mind. Curiosity and maybe even a little awe as well.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

[At The Entrance]

"Well, while I was mostly coming down here to scavenge tech, talking it out seems like a better option," She says. The movements of her mech are surprisingly natural, almost as if they were biological limbs; she must be using a full subjectivity suite to make her mech be like her body, "You have any objections to me going inside?"

The tone of the question suggests that it's not so much a question as a formality. She's going inside, invited or not.

29. - Top - End - #209

At The Entrance

"No objections, no, but perhaps a little more paranoia than is strictly considered healthy," Faketok admits, never letting Kathy out of his sight as he walks backwards into the door, and knocks three times to let MERC's people know to open up.

"Let's try to keep this civil, yes? Dipsnig will be very upset if I have to explain why there's a funeral pyre for all his dead gobbo relatives in front of my house," Not Magtok pleads, making a face at the thought of burning greenskins out there and the horrific stench that would surely ensue.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

30. - Top - End - #210

[Rat Assisted Tour]

Hah, called it! Rattok can't resist doing a little fist-pump in celebration of his ability to correctly predict where Magtok would be. And he'll just go ahead and overlook the paleness and the slightly-off eye for now and just bask in the glory of being completely right about this.

"Hey! Uh, hi boss! Are you doing anything important?" Rattok asks in full knowledge that Magtok definitely isn't doing anything important, while very pointedly not acknowledging the tv, the couch, or anything that would suggest he's trying to subtly point out that Magtok is very much engaged in unimportant business right now, as that might seem disrespectful and no matter how much he wants to be sometimes, Rattok is not a disrespectful rat.

Not as long as he needs to live here, anyway.

"Jaahlyn wanted to ask a few questions."