New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Doomslayer (Doom Guy) encounters a Warlock

Howdy! I'm at a point in a rather silly campaign where my players are about to enter hell and release the doomslayer ala opening scene Doom 2016. One member of the party is a Great Old One warlock, I.E. Space demon tentacle abominations.

What I'm trying to figure out is if Doom Guy would try to kill the character. The character isn't inherently evil, but commonly carries around an arcane focus of a demon skull.

My instinct says Doom Guy 9/10 situations shoots the character, threatens anyone trying to resurrect them too. Doom Guy hates demons, but isn't inherently a "good guy," either.

FYI the player would probably laugh it off and reroll.

Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Doomslayer (Doom Guy) encounters a Warlock

if the warlock is a patron of an old one, he should be more worried about ranger, not doomguy

but yeah, the demon skull is probably a good way to get a big ol fist through your face

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by ijon View Post
    is a patron of an old one
    I think that phrase is backward, a patron is a superior figure that backs someone junior to themselves.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quake Guy might be the better fit if your warlock is Lovecraft-inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrulus View Post
    FYI the player would probably laugh it off and reroll.

Any thoughts?
    Even if this turns out to be true, the question is - what would gibbing their character add to the campaign?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

You could have bulletproof glass or a shield protect him briefly so he can escape

"In what seem to be your final moments, you see down the double-barrels of the doom-slayer's weapon as twenty pieces of buckshot fly at your face. Your life flashes before your eyes. The layers of reinforced glass shatter in an instant, apparently stopping the pellets or at least directing their path away from your weak flesh, their sacrifice giving you a moment to escape as the marine loads his next volley."

It's also possible to have a brief window while the doomslayer wakes up for the party to move on. Or just have his patron find the situation hilarious and send the warlock back to life after doomguy moves on to fight more demons. Or have clues that the doomslayer will slaughter people with obvious demon-paraphernalia like the warlock, such as a mural depicting him dismembering a similar-looking cultist. There are options here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I think that phrase is backward, a patron is a superior figure that backs someone junior to themselves.
    True - but it can also mean "customer"

So, the Great Old One could be, metaphorically speaking, running a business by lending power to Warlords in return for some ineffable gain - and the warlocks are its "patrons".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

He wouldn't automatically kill a human just because he's carrying a skull, though.

I can picture a funny scene where he notices the skull, points the shotgun at the warlock, who just drops the skull and raises his hands guiltily. Then the Doomguy walks off.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clearly DOOMSLAYER sees someone carrying a trophy of their recent slaughtering of vile demons, and fist bumps him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    True - but it can also mean "customer"

So, the Great Old One could be, metaphorically speaking, running a business by lending power to Warlords in return for some ineffable gain - and the warlocks are its "patrons".
    The customer is always right.
    Customers are in a superior position to sellers, so long as there is a choice of sellers. That's why junkies are not customers, and these guys wouldn't be either.

The right word might be "protege", though that doesn't feel entirely right either.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-07-05 at 10:50 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Clearly DOOMSLAYER sees someone carrying a trophy of their recent slaughtering of vile demons, and fist bumps him.
    I support this idea, and it'd probably be funnier than the "Doom Guy shoots a PC" idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Customers are in a superior position to sellers, so long as there is a choice of sellers. That's why junkies are not customers, and these guys wouldn't be either.

The right word might be "protege", though that doesn't feel entirely right either.
    "Customer" is a broad term that includes the numerous times the customers aren't in a superior position to sellers - it certainly applies to utilities.

That said, for a warlock something like "client" might be a better fit.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Now I'm just imagining Cthulhu trying to direct potential cultists to his Patreon page, LMAO
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Based on what y'all said I gave the warlock a chance, but he screwed it up.

At one point his imp familiar came back with a trinket it had been told to fetch, and The Doom Guy saw it, shot it, and then stomped on the corpse. The warlock got upset, explained how he had just killed his imp companion, gifted by... and then he took a point blank shot to the face too.

I gave the party enough "loot" to pay a druid for a reincarnation spell, and we'll see where it goes from there. Thanks again!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why would Doom Guy want to kill the Warlock? Like, how blatantly demonic/enthralled by evil is this dude that, on sight, Doomguy’s just gonna blow his head off?
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrulus View Post
    Based on what y'all said I gave the warlock a chance, but he screwed it up.

At one point his imp familiar came back with a trinket it had been told to fetch, and The Doom Guy saw it, shot it, and then stomped on the corpse. The warlock got upset, explained how he had just killed his imp companion, gifted by... and then he took a point blank shot to the face too.

I gave the party enough "loot" to pay a druid for a reincarnation spell, and we'll see where it goes from there. Thanks again!
    That's the Doomguy I know and love. You barely convince him to not immediately kill and destroy everyone and everything indiscriminately, then as soon as something demonic happens in his presence he instantly reverts to blind rage mode.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So I guess your warlock is an example of "safe" levels of demonic presence?