New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Good +1 enhancement bonus?

What is the best +1 weapon enhancement bonus in your opinion?

I like vicious, just because I can do the most damage with it at that level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Good +1 enhancement bonus?

Spell storing. The Gish Weapon of Choice. Also good for fighter's with friendly clerics or wizards with a spare save or suck spell.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

spell storing, put a true strike in there and you can deliver a power attack of massive power and still get an attack bonus of higher than normal.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Keen on a Scimitar or Falchion. Or anything with an expanded crit, really.

Dispelling. Invaluable against mages. Put it on a bow so you can hit the fliers.

Spell-Storing is also good, yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

dispelling, i'm not that familiar with that enchantment.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Magic Item Compendium, page 33. Basically, a targetted Dispel Magic on the target on a successful hit. Only functions 3 times per day, sadly.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-09-10 at 12:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    spell storing, put a true strike in there and you can deliver a power attack of massive power and still get an attack bonus of higher than normal.
    It doesn't work that way; your attack would result in your opponent gaining a +20 to hit on his next attack. It affects the creature damaged, not the wielder.

And I'll second spell storing as the most excellent +1 enhancement. I like bands of steel, myself, although spell vulnerability is pretty tasty, too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

no he's saying cast true strike on yourself to make sure you hit, and making sure that what ever spell stored is not wasted.

EDIT: wait I might be wrong, it does sound like he is saying it the other way, then yes it would work your way.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Spell storing using Shocking Grasp, or keen with a rapier/falchion/scimitar. The first is the best. Undead or constructs on the second, and you die.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

My favorite +1 enhancement is the base +1 enhancement. Most of my melee builds can pretty much kill anything that's CR appropriate in 1 or 2 attacks - if they hit. Thus, increasing the probability of hitting is the most valuable enhancement on any weapon for me.

Also, never waste an enhancement on Keen. Just buy a scabbard of keen edges. It's cheaper that way at higher levels, since weapon costs stack.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dual_wielder View Post
    What is the best +1 weapon enhancement bonus in your opinion?

I like vicious, just because I can do the most damage with it at that level.
    Sure Striking from Magic from Faerun in return for a +1 bonus my cleric/sorceror of Helm wields a +1 Bastard Sword of Sure Striking treats DR as if it were a +5 weapon... now try and say it takes less damage!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Mage-Bane from complete aracana, banes a weapon against anything with unused arcane spell-slots and anything with spell-like abilities, which is just about everything at mid to high levels, its a bane vs anything scarey
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flaming. Best thing against regeneration and gets you an extra die of damage.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Wounding is good if you find yourself attacking frequently, with full attacks, AOO's, hasted attacks, and so on.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Sure Striking from Magic from Faerun in return for a +1 bonus my cleric/sorceror of Helm wields a +1 Bastard Sword of Sure Striking treats DR as if it were a +5 weapon... now try and say it takes less damage!
    For 3.0 I agree, but DR is just /magic in 3.5, making that enchantment redundant.

I like Spell Storing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I have to say that I use keen the most, but my favorite is either vicious, or merciful... yeah I know they are opposites, but I just like them both.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Bane is good if your campaign has a theme where you're encountering a lot of a certain type of creature. For overall utility, I'd go with spell storing with a save or suck effect in it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

'Maiming' is my new favourite...I just can't get enough of random stuff...give me a Wild Mage with a Rod of Wonder, several Bag of Tricks' and a Weapon with a x4 Crit and the Maiming property...sweet! Much better than something reliable
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Spell storing using Shocking Grasp, or keen with a rapier/falchion/scimitar. The first is the best. Undead or constructs on the second, and you die.
    Keen is slashing only, remember. No rapier for you
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, my uncle allows it. My dad has a Weapon finesse guy that uses a scimitar because they didn't realize that WF doesn't apply to scimitars until I pointed it out after the third session.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by kjones View Post
    Keen is slashing only, remember. No rapier for you
    O RLY?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Keen: This ability doubles the threat range of a weapon. Only piercing or slashing weapons can be keen. (If you roll this property randomly for an inappropriate weapon, reroll.) This benefit doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon (such as the keen edge spell or the Improved Critical feat).

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge; Price +1 bonus.
    Looks pretty legal to me

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    'Maiming' is my new favourite...I just can't get enough of random stuff...give me a Wild Mage with a Rod of Wonder, several Bag of Tricks' and a Weapon with a x4 Crit and the Maiming property...sweet! Much better than something reliable
    Unfortunately, they updated Maiming in the Magic Item Compendium - It now just does extra damage based on Crit rating, rather than randomly increasing (or decreasing) crit rating. Personally, I perfer the old Minature Handbook (I think) version as well.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

I believe it's called Shrinking. Arms and Equipment Guide. It allows you to shrink a weapon to 4 sizes smaller. I had a Orge Fighter who could swap (as a free action) between a Large Greatsword at a fair to hit bonus or a Collossal Greatsword, because it had crazy reach and did 6d6 damage
    New Avatar! Credit and thanks to the amazing Strawberries

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Personally? Defending or Ghost Touch if you have a lot of incorporeals you have to deal with.

Defending. It's an untyped bonus to AC, which means it stacks with everything else. Get a party member to drop Greater Magic Weapon on it, and you've got extra AC.

Ghost Touch. Handy vs blinking/incorporeal creatures. Ignores the miss chance granted by etherealness.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Profane.... heheheeheheeee.....
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Ghost Touch. Handy vs blinking/incorporeal creatures. Ignores the miss chance granted by etherealness.
    Also wildly useful if you buy a Ring of Blinking. Although its annoying that you have to spend a standard action to activate it, now your enemies are denied their Dex bonus, have a 50% miss chance when they attack you, and you have a 0% miss chance when you attack them.

If you don't want to invest in a Ghost Touch weapon, the Pierce Magical Concealment feat does the same thing, but it applies to the miss chance from all magical effects.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Krursk View Post
    I believe it's called Shrinking. Arms and Equipment Guide. It allows you to shrink a weapon to 4 sizes smaller. I had a Orge Fighter who could swap (as a free action) between a Large Greatsword at a fair to hit bonus or a Collossal Greatsword, because it had crazy reach and did 6d6 damage
    Shrinking was* a standard action to activate, and your ogre should not have been allowed to use a Colossal Greatsword.

*The latest version IMO is "Sizing" (+5000 gp, MIC) and it lets you change the weapon's size to any other size as a swift action.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Also wildly useful if you buy a Ring of Blinking. Although its annoying that you have to spend a standard action to activate it, now your enemies are denied their Dex bonus, have a 50% miss chance when they attack you, and you have a 0% miss chance when you attack them.
    Doesn't work. Blink makes you ethereal, not incorporeal. Yes, the spell description says that ethereal creatures are "incorporeal". This is incorrect - the word should be "insubstantial". (It's an error copy-pasted from the 3.0 PH, where it was also a mistake. Go Andy!) Check the ethereal jaunt spell or the etherealness description in the DMG glossary for the correct description of etherealness.

Here's further confirmation from Rules of the Game, There, Not There (Part Five):
    Quote Originally Posted by RotG
    An ethereal creature cannot touch, damage, move, or otherwise physically interact with things on the Material Plane.

It goes without saying, but ghost touch weapons an ethereal creature wields don't affect targets on the Material Plane. Spells and other magical effects that an ethereal creature uses don't have any affects on the Material Plane, and neither do extraordinary abilities.
    Last edited by Iku Rex; 2007-09-11 at 01:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iku Rex View Post
    Doesn't work. Blink makes you ethereal, not incorporeal. Yes, the spell description says that ethereal creatures are "incorporeal". This is incorrect - the word should be "insubstantial". (It's an error copy-pasted from the 3.0 PH, where it was also a mistake. Go Andy!) Check the ethereal jaunt spell or the etherealness description in the DMG glossary for the correct description of etherealness.

Here's further confirmation from Rules of the Game, There, Not There (Part Five):
    Good, I was about to get angry that one of my fellow tanks last night almost got dropped due to him having an uneccessary miss chance. We were fighting an NPC who called himself "The Lasher" and used a 3.0 prc of the same name(maybe) and that stupid build that uses blink+pierce magical concealment+pyrokinetist's fire whip(in this case sonic variant) to hit 95% of the time. But it's alright 'cause I used Wall of Blades and he missed twice anyways.

On a side note power/leap attacking with a whip two handed is a stupid idea and I'm glad we killed him for it.

I have to second the basic +1, sure a +1 flaming keen shocking burst greatsword is cool, but the shininess wears off if you can't hit. Also I was shown the enhancement from ToB that grants a bonus to hit when using maneuvers of the correct discipline. Very nice.