New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja looks cautiously at the stag before nodding and sitting crosslegged on the ground, still towering above the fae and looking the stag eye to eye. Then she pauses, "A moment if you will..." she asks and steps to her sleeping roll and rummages in her sack before pulling out a small cask of mead. She walks back to the table and offers it to the assembled fey and the stag. "I have little I can offer, and expect this to be crude to your tongue. I offer what I can..."

Looking at the Stag she then asks directly. "As Heltinne speaks, we are oathsworn to hunt men of no honour who take refuge in these woods. Can you aid us?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Knowledge Religion [roll0]

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Reach (15ft) MW Longspear +8 (2d6+4, X3)
    Battle axe +6 (2d6+4, X3)
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)
    MW Chain Shirt, Heavy wooden shield (+4 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, -1 Size)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13

Condition None
    Smite Evil 1/day (+Cha hit, deflect, +Pal damage) 1 / 1 remaining
    Axe to Grind (+1 dam if only opponent)
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

"Let's not talk yet of hunting, whether of man or beast." says the Stag, accepting the gift of mead. "This night waits for no one. We must celebrate".

The feast is one of otherworldly fare and beauty. Dainty cups made of flowers are filled with mead brewed from faerie bees and water from secret magical streams. Steaming hunks of roast pork, as well as other savory dishes, are brought out on platters of bark. The bread is light and airy, yet filling, and both sweet and hearty as needed. The conversation, to say nothing of the company, is beyond words, and you soon finds yourselves swept away on a tide of wonder.

The feast continues for many hours, and after it is done, the Stag speaks again, this time in a voice like sultry summer winds blowing through fully leafed trees. It says, “As you have enjoyed our fare, let us enjoy yours. What do you offer us in return for our hospitality: songs, stories, dances? What entertainment can you show your hosts that befits the food and drink you have consumed?”

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa quickly rises to her feet. "I beg your pardon, fair master. I am no skald nor storyteller, though I hope to be one's inspiration someday." She appears genuinely ashamed to not have an easy way to pay her share, and considers her options for a few moments.

"It is not a dance, as many would use the word, but I am well versed in swordplay, and many aspects are much the same. There is a rhythm, a pace to the interplay of flesh and blade, and it is those who don't know the steps that fall." She puts her hand to the blade, stepping gracefully into an open area and turns back to bow to the stag. When she does, her eyes are feline- like a tigress on the prowl. "I would demonstrate, with your blessing?"

Show
    So Elissa is still not good at diplomacy, but I'd like to imagine that at least my trait to be more comfortable with animals than people would apply? Diplomacy: (1d20-1)[10] I suppose to make the request to draw her blade, or to improve his attitude, or whatever. She's trying like hell to be diplomatic.

If he accepts, I'm not sure what the right check would be to demonstrate the forms she uses as exercise and preparation. Attack rolls? Acrobatics? Perform(dance? (I hope not!))

At any rate, her demonstration (assuming his approval): (1d20)[9] +6 for generic attack rolls, +3 for acrobatics, -2 for performance.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn wasn't sure what he could do, but he did know a lot of stories. So when Elissa was done, he would regal them with tales of the Jarl's court or some myths, whatever they prefered.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

I have perform (oratory), so I'll use that (not that I'm super at it): (1d20+2)[15]

Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

The faeries gather around as you perform your displays. First Elissa running through her blade techniques, which elicits much stunned eye-popping and the occasional twittering snigger from the capricious sprites. Then Bjorn and his tales of myths and heroes greeted with responses of laughter and general enjoyment by the host.

"And what of the remainder of you, who have partaken of our fare?" speaks the Stag.

Signy stands slowly, seeming to your eyes somewhat at home among the mysterious fey. She proceeds to gesture while beginning a low chant. Several small extinguished candles burst back into life and the light coalesces into a variety of shapes, sometimes almost humanoid-like, that flit through the trees about you. The fae folk laugh and clap their hands at the entertaining visual display.

As all eyes turn to him next, Thalli also nervously clears his throat. "Ah...um...Why did the northlander buy an old boat?". The fey wait with baited breathe. "Because he couldn't a-fjord a new one." A brief pause then screeches of laughter as the terrible joke hits the spot. Thalli grins and rattles off a good repertoire of corny puns that somehow have the sprites in stitches.

Spoiler: some rolls
    Show
    Signy perform (untrained) (1d20+4)[16]
    Cast spark & dancing lights

Thalli perform (untrained) (1d20-1)[18]

=> Heltinne & Freyja
    Let's have some perform checks
    Dance MF, dance

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja look at the fey stag as he wants more and tries to recall one of the ancient ettin lores of old before rising to her full height, she clears her throat with a great swallow of mead before begining Let me tell of you the Jotuness Gunnlöð. She was daughter of the giant Suttungr, who was set guard by him in the mountain Hnitbjörg where he housed the Mead of Poetry. Her grandfather was Gillingr, the Old fool of the frost jotunn."

She pauses before starting to speak loudly, trying her best to imitate the deep voices of the giants as she speaks the words first spoken by the well know bard Edda Silvertongue as she described the stealing of the mead by Wotan, the all father, as he tricked Gunnlöð with the promise of 3 nights of love for 3 sips of mead.

Gunnlod sat me in the golden seat,
    Poured me precious mead:
    Ill reward she had from me for that,
    For her proud and passionate heart,
    Her brooding foreboding spirit.

What I won from her I have well used:
    I have waxed in wisdom since I came back,
    bringing to Asgard Odhroerir,
    the sacred draught.

Hardly would I have come home alive
    From the garth of the grim troll,
    Had Gunnlod not helped me, the good woman,
    Who wrapped her arms around me.

Show

Lore skill (1d20+4)[15]
    Perform (1d20+1)[18]

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne Thrainsdottir, Speaker of Spirits

Heltinne listened as the others offered tales and jokes and displays of magik and might. The group turned to her after Freyja’s masterful story, staring at her expectantly. Sighing, she rose slowly,
    Whispering words of power as she did so. She stood still for a moment, one arm holding her spear, the other the other pressed across her lower back. Her head was bowed, letting her silvery licks cascade down, hiding her face. From beneath the hair, a quiet murmur began to build and grow, a single voice becoming two voices, then four, into a dozen. These other worldly voices a sang an ethereal chant that evokes images of the winter and icy winds from the frozen northern lands.

Suddenly, Heltinne’s head snapped up, whipping her hair back across her shoulders as she slammed her spear down against a rock lodged in the hard packed turf. An armor of crystalline ice spread across her form like witch fyre, as the voices ceased abruptly. Turning her gaze to the fey, she nodded respectfully to them and began to speak, her voice steady and clear.

"I offer you the tale of creation, one some of you know, and others may not. Please accept my presentation as a gift for your hospitality.

Before the brown earth lay beneath a blue sky, covered by green grass, there existed only a great Nothing, the hollow abyss of Ginnungagap. This perfect chaos lay bounded between the plane of elemental fire, Muspelheim, and the plane of elemental ice, Niflheim. Within this soacedevoid of anything, there was silence in the deepening dark.

Then a wave of frost roiled forward, tendrils of cold reaching towards the void to make it a part of Niflheim. At the same time, a billowing flame burned closer to the emptiness, eager to claim this space for Muspelheim. When they met in Ginnungagap, and a great basing and sputtering ensued. As the flames melted the ice, the drops formed themselves into Ymir, the Screamer ... the first of the old giants. Ymir was neither man nor woman, and yet both, and he produced many children from both womb and warm places.

The ice melt soon revealed another being, Audhumla the cow, who’s cravings were fed by salt-licks within the ice, and who’s own milk nourished Ymir and his children. As she licked the salt block, she freed acne who was called Buri, the Progenitor, first amongst the Aesir. Buri had a son he named Bor who took a wife named Bestla, spawn of giant Bolthorn. Their children, half-god and half-giant, were none other than Odin, soon to be the All-Father and future chief of the Aesir gods, along with and his two brothers, Vili and Ve.

Odin gathered his brothers and brought war to Ymir’s abode. With the giant’s death, the first celestial husk was created and the brothers set building the world from Ymir’s corpse. The oceans were fashioned from his blood, the soil from his skin and muscles, vegetation from his hair, clouds from his brains, and the sky from his skull. They set a quartet of dwarves at each cardinal point, to hold Ymir’s skull aloft and in place.

Odins sons and daughters soon joined the others and filled the world with life, creating the first man and woman, Ask and Embla, from two tree trunks, and giving them the fenced world of Midgard, to protect them from the giants.

The fey were born of thoughts and dreams Odin and his brothers had, left free to explore the worlds of Midgard and beyond. Where humans were given a duty to serve, the Fey were made to simply be.
    "

Heltinne finiahed her story, offering a bow once she was complete.

OOC - Ug ... Using her ice armor and ghost sound to create an ambience. Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[12] if I have to roll, or taken 10 if I can cop out
    History - (1d20+4)[13], and if Diplomacy doesn’t cut it Performance - (1d20+3)[14]

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 15 (19) HP 15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Weapon: MW longspear (+4, 1d8+3), Cold iron Morningstar (+3, 1d8+3)
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (1/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    SLA (alter self): 1/1, Ice armor: 1hr
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4
    Effect: ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

The tale of Wotan and Gunnlöð, told by the half-giant, has the fae folk chuckling and sniggering at the cunning even as they cower in delicious startlement at the booming voice. Your final performance, that of Heltinne recounting the tales of Creation, has them entranced as the mystical sounds and power of the northern winter sets the scene.

The repayment of hospitality is made in full, your host the Stag nodding his acceptance and the rest of the faerie host cavorting around in the aftermath of the entertaining night.

The Stag speaks in a low whisper "The prey you hunt are indeed nearby. They make gifts of blood to the Dökkálfar, the unseelie". The Forest King grants you leave to stalk these men as you wish.

At the words, you begin to feel drowsy...more drowsy than you can ever recall. In quick succession you each slump into deep slumber, nestled among the mosses or propped against the boles of ancient trees.

You wake what feels like hours later, but it can't be as the shafts of dawn sunlight are only just beginning to hint at breaking through the canopy. Your mounts wait patiently to one side and all of your equipment is present too. The area feels unfamiliar, a large clearing still in the forest hidden under deep shadowy canopy but all strange to you. A small run of water trickles nearby and a game trail passes.

"Huh?!" utters Thalli as he wakes, looking around, "What happened? By Bragi's boasts, was that real? I, ah...we're still in the forest but I need to get my bearings". When you are ready he leads you up a slight slope to where you can see hints of higher, clear ground several hundred yards away.

Spoiler: Refresh
    Show
    Everyone is fully rested, fed & fully healed after your night of fey celebrations.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa rises just a moment after Thalli, her face almost unrecognizable for the euphoria replacing her typical scowl. "Truly we have been blessed!" she exclaims in hushed tones. "We danced with fey, as few mortals have ever survived, and they told us our prey is near!"

Giddier than a schoolgirl with candy, Elissa collects her things with a spring in her step like you've never seen before. Within a few moments, she's ready and eager to set off in pursuit of Styr.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne rose, gathering her own kit as the others roused. She smiled at Elissa’s reaction, murmuring to the others, "Well ... she is not wrong ...” once the group was ready, she rose and joined the marching line. ”We had beat hurry. I like not that this fool is trying to bargain with dark fey ...”

OOC - Ready to press
    Show
    AC 15 HP 15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (4/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Will we have stories to tell," Bjorn said as he also collected his gear for today's march and search.
    "And I agree with Heltinne," he added, "making a pact with the unseelie court is not good. The faster we bring him to justice, the better."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja wakes rested and relaxed and its a few moments before she remembers where they are and the risk of ambush. With a start she rolls to her feet, reaching out for her spear before relaxing as she sees all the others are also rousing. "An blessing indeeed. The fae are dangerous and we have the God's to thank for them not taken offence to us."
    She eyes the clouds above, offering Wotan a brief prayer before strapping on her armour and checking her weapons.

Looking at their scout she remembers the words from the stag. "So where do we be? That these dishonoured give blood rites to Dökkálfar is a dark tiding. They will earn the quick mercy of iron!" Looking around the forest she gestures to the guide, "Find your bearings, we must continue the hunt."

Show

Freyja Skirlaug

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa nods, agreeing with Freyja. "Guide, I don't know these woods, but she's right. We need to find him and his cohorts- quickly!"

Show
    Didn't think about it before, but Elissa an track too. (1d20+11)[12] survival to get on with it- includes +2 for masterwork tools and +1 for tracking class feature.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Indeed, lead the way," Bjorn said, taking up his normal position in the group, letting the trackers taking the lead, but ready and looking around for any problems.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

You follow Thalli as he makes his way through the forest, leading your horses up the slope to higher ground. The view out over the gloomy forest really is beautiful as the spring sun rises far to the east and sends fingers of light playing across the surface of the canopy which you have risen above. Thalli squints, nodding to himself with reassurance as he gets his bearings.

As you let your guide survey the landmarks several of you notice a ring of large stones arranged around a cleft in the ground some 50ft away. Wisps of smoke rise up from the darkness, a tell-tale sign of habitation. A small spring bubbles up nearby and flows down the hill.

Even as you note the dark cleft Freyja and Elissa's attention is grabbed by movement in one of the few beech trees growing upon the hillock. A small platform is affixed high up the tall tree and you spy two men with bows. Startled, they see you at the same time and one reaches for a signal horn hanging from a branch as the other fumbles for an arrow.

Spoiler: rolls & info
    Show
    Perception DC13 to spot cave entrance
    Freyja (1d20+4)[18]
    Hektinne (1d20+7)[17]
    Bjorn (1d20+2)[7]
    Elissa (1d20+10)[14]
    Signy (1d20)[1]
    Thalli (1d20+1)[12]

Perception DC18 to spot sentries (or surprised):
    Freyja (1d20+4)[24]
    Heltinne (1d20+7)[15]
    Bjorn (1d20+2)[9]
    Elissa (1d20+10)[26]
    Signy (1d20)[13]
    Thalli (1d20+1)[19]

Initiative:
    Freyja (1d20+1)[16]
    Heltinne (1d20+1)[9]
    Bjorn (1d20+6)[10]
    Elissa (1d20+5)[22]
    Signy (1d20+1)[5]
    Thalli (1d20)[4]
    Sentries (1d20)[4]

Cave and platform are each 50ft away from you and 40ft away from each other.
    Platform is 50ft high, up the tree. A rope ladder has been rolled up and there appears no easy obvious way to ascend.

=> Elissa & Freyja (single action, surprise round)

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa hisses. "Eyes!" she calls. Trusting her allies to look to her, she simply raises her bow and looses- aiming for the man reaching for the horn.

Spoiler: Surprise round
    Show
    Elissa
    F N Half Elf Feral Hunter, Level 2, Init 5, HP 16/16, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Elven Curved blade (MW) +5 (1d10+1, 18-20, x2)
    Elven Branched Spear +4 (1d8+1, x3) (+2 attack to AoOs, Brace, Reach)
    Composite Longbow (+1 str) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
    Leather Lamellar (MW), Klar (leather) (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 16 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 7
    Condition Dirty Fighter: +1 damage when flanking
    Animal focus: Tiger, +2 dexterity
    1st level spells: 3/3

(1d20+5)[9] longbow attack
    (1d20+5)[22] crit confirmation (25, x3)
    (1d8+1)[9] damage
    (2d8+2)[7] crit bonus

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja spies the platform and curses, her hands full with the long ash spear and massive shield. Instead she hurried forward, a "Come, raid the cave now before they can react."

She hurried forward, massive long legs striding over the ground as she strides 40ft towards the entrance of the cave. A low "Wotan give me strength..." ash she maintains an iron grip on the spear.

Show

Freyja Skirlaug

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Freyja strides swiftly toward the cleft in the ground, smelling the smoke of a campfire and the odour of unwashed bodies wafting from within. A steep shaft drops 10ft down to a woven brush screen that obscures the way beyond.

Elissa lets fly an arrow at the sentries as Thalli grabs a sling from his pocket and ducks behind a tree several feet away seeking cover as he fumbles for a sling stone. The two lookouts react, one raising the signal horn and letting forth a loud sharp blast. The other nocks an arrow and returns fire, the arrow a lucky shot catching Heltinne for 6 damage.

Spoiler: info
    Show
    Shaft leading down is Climb DC10. 5ft wide so will be a 'squeeze' for Freyja.

sentry vs Heltinne
    shortbow (1d20)[18] damage (1d6)[6]

=> Party
    Normal, full round actions begin

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn took his own bow and returned fire to the one that had been shooting at Heltinne. The warning had been given, they couldn't stop that, but he could stop them firing on his team members.

Spoiler: OOC rolls and actions
    Show

move: take bow
    attack: (1d20+4)[17] for damage: (1d6)[5] (if crit: (1d20+4)[18] for extra damage: (2d6)[6]

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

The arrows fly back and forth, Bjorn shooting at the sniper and hitting for 5 damage.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa spits, frustrated by her own failure. She steps closer and nocks another arrow. Mid-stride, she lets fly at the armed lookout.

Spoiler: Elissa, round 1
    Show
    Elissa
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1

Moving more towards the cave than the platform. Hoping to use trees as cover.

(1d20+5)[20] longbow attack
    (1d20+5)[18] CC (25, x3)
    (1d8+1)[3] damage
    (2d8+2)[12] crit bonus

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Holding her shield aloft to ward off the arrows she slides to the shaft and looks down the shaft only a foot or so taller than her. Slipping down she tries to slide down the shaft, dropping to the bottom and raising her shield, trusting to battle honed instinct to keep her safe

Show

I'll squeeze down the shaft. With her height and reach does she need to make a check to climb the 10ft or can she just lower hersefl?

Freyja Skirlaug

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne watched as the two warriors slipped forward, her focus so intent on watching her companions progress towards the cave mouth that she never noticed the archers in the stand. Not until she heard the tell-take twang of an arrow and a corresponding thunk ... followed by a wave of pain and nausea. Glancing down, she saw the shaft of an arrow embedded in her thigh, blood staining her blue and white leggings.

She quickly hobbled to cover, trying to break line of sight between herself and the archers ... and hoping she didn’t stumble into more hidden guards. Once she was ‘safe’ she called upon her connection to the spirits of winter to close her wounds.

OOC - move behind cover, cast cure light wounds. CLW - (1d8+2)[3]

EDIT: ... of course.

Show
    AC 15 HP 12/15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (3/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-02-24 at 09:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Elissa shifts sideways towards the cave entrance, loosing an arrow that strikes the sniper for 3 damage. Heltinne & Signy hustle back seeking cover behind the tree next to Thalli, Signy helping the hobbling woman. Thalli jumps out, sling whirring as he seeks to cover them his sling stone clunking against the bark of bandit's tree causing them to duck back.

From the cover of the tree, Signy begins a sorcerous chanting, the witch-woman's eyes glazing over momentarily as she focuses her arcane powers. Gesturing towards the ambushers she waves her hands in an arc. The signal man stumbles and teeters, before slowly toppling forward off the platform to land with a sickening thud on the ground far below. The remaining lookout, injured, curses and shoots again the arrow going well wide of Elissa.

Freyja meanwhile slides down the shaft, crashing through a rudimentary screen of woven brush into a dimly-lit cave below. A wide cave filled with stalactites and stalagmites opens up at the bottom of the chimney. The smell and piled refuse show that a number of people have been living here in tight quarters for some time. The floor is slightly raised with years of detritus fallen in from above, and the low ceiling shows soot stains from the fire pit dug in its center. A group of filthy men are scrambling to their feet and grabbing for cudgels at the sound of the signal horn and shout in alarm at the giantess crashing down amongst them.

Only one has the wits and presence to react, clearly the groups leader by fact of he's the only one with any real armour or proper weapons. The large man is dischevelled and spattered with dried blood that doesn't seem to be his that he clearly hasn't even bother to wipe off. He wears a breastplate and hefts a warrior's spear and shield. His coarse face and a distinctive snake's tail scar on his chin mark him as the one you hunt - Styr the Ugly! He steps forward insults flying "You'll not take me! You'll plead for mercy but you'll get none here!"

He stabs out, catching Freyja for 10 damage as she gets her bearings in the dingy low-ceilinged cave.

Spoiler: rolls & info
    Show
    Thalli vs bandit
    standard: sling (1d20-1)[13] damage (1d4)[1]
    move: reload

Signy
    move: get cover
    standard: cast sleep vs lookouts Will DC15
    lookout 1 (1d20+3)[20]
    lookout 2 (1d20+3)[9]

lookout 2 50% chance to fall (1d100)[22] and take (5d6)[16] damage

bandit vs Elissa
    shortbow (1d20)[5] damage (1d6)[2]

cave bandits
    move x2: stand up & draw weapons (Freyja hampered by tight confines so no AoO)

Styr the Ugly
    Standard: Spear vs Freyja (1d20+5)[24] damage (1d8+5)[10]

Spoiler: Surface map
    Show

Spoiler: Cave map
    Show

Cave is only 7ft high so Freyja is 'squeezing' -4 attack & -4 AC
    Illumination is okay due to campfire and cave entrance.

=> Party

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja winces against the stabbing pain as the bandit hacks into her side, dripping blood she steps back to make space for spear and looks at him over the rim of her shield as she peers down at him, head brushing the ceiling. "By Wotan and the Gods you are honourless scum. There is no mercy for the likes of you" She gestures with the spear at him, "The ods have a special place in Hel for you, the giants shall play with our soul for eterneity" she mutters as she lunges at him, clumsy in the cramped quarters

Show

Swift: Smite Evil vs The Ugly one (+1 hit, +1 deflect AC, +2 damage)
    5ft step down and left
    Stab the ugly one (glad I've stabby spear!) (1d20+5)[6] (inc. the -4) damage (2d6+7)[15]

AoO if any others run at me (15ft reach) (1d20+4)[7] dam (2d6+4)[8]

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 12/22, Speed 40

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn saw one fall and heard noises down the chimney. So he ran towards that location, swapping his bow for his axe.
    "I'll go help Freya," he said to the others. He lowered himself into the chimney, following her.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa looses another arrow at the remaining bandit, and then makes a break for the cave entrance.

Spoiler: Elissa, round 2
    Show
    Elissa

Moving to prepare for casting summon nature's ally into the cave.

(1d20+5)[10] longbow attack
    (1d20+5)[8] CC (25, x3)
    (1d8+1)[2] damage
    (2d8+2)[17] crit bonus

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne berated herself silently, knowing her lack of a ranged weapon would hamper her assistance in this battle. She nodded to the hole and whispered, ”I am no help here - I will join the others in the cave.”

She sped to the cave entrance as fast as she could, sucking inside with her spear at the ready.

OOC - move to the cave and enter. If she can reach any enemies, she’ll attack with reach.
    Attack - (1d20+4)[22], Dam - (1d8+3)[5]

Show
    AC 15 HP 12/15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (3/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Freyja lunges out as the bandits scramble and Styr the Ugly advances on her, his shield easily deflecting her blow. With a rustle of dirt and a clatter of loose rocks Bjorn and then Heltinne slide into the cave beside her, weapons at the ready.

Up top Elissa also dashes to the cave entrance, loosing an arrow wildly as she does, the arrow flying well wide of the remaining tree-bound sentry. From the cover of a nearby tree Signy pulls out and loads her sling, Thalli next to her whirring his about and letting fly but again the sling stone missing its mark. The lookout returns fire, Thalli unlucky as he ducks back to cover the arrow striking him in the side with a solid <thunk> for 6 damage as he cries out in pain.

Back inside the cave hideout, the filthy bandits close in. Two rush in to clumsily assault Freyja, narrowly missing being impaled on her longspear, while another two sneak around in the shadows trying to circle round behind you.

Having countered Styr her attack, Styr laughs and lunges again in return, his mighty blow slipping past Freyja's guard for 8 damage his wicked grin showing he relishes the bloodletting. "Ha! Your body will rot in these woods! Your blood will feed the forest!" He stabs again at Bjorn, the blow only deflected at the last minute with a <crack> as Bjorn brings his shield wall to bear!

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Thalli vs sniper
    sling (1d20-1)[7] damage (1d4)[3]

Sniper
    Bow vs Thalli (1d20)[17] damage (1d6)[6]

Styr the Ugly
    Standard: Spear vs Freyja (1d20+5)[15] damage (1d8+5)[8] (hit due to cramped conditions)
    Cleave - Spear vs Bjorn (1d20+5)[19] damage (1d8+5)[11] (miss due to shield wall feat!)

Bandits
    Club vs Freyja (1d20)[1] damage (1d6)[6]
    Club vs Freyja (1d20)[9] damage (1d6)[2]
    Club vs Freyja (1d20)[4] damage (1d6)[3]

Spoiler: Surface map
    Show

Elissa is at the cave entrance (M8)
    Thalli & Signy hiding behind a tree (G6, cover)
    Bandit lookout 50ft up a tree (K22, cover)

Spoiler: Cave map
    Show

Cave is only 7ft high so Freyja is 'squeezing' -4 attack & -4 AC
    Illumination is okay due to campfire and cave entrance.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We will accept your surrender at any time," Bjorn shouted in the cave has he attacked Styr with his axe. That was the one they had to get, the others were just collateral.
    "Stay together," he called out to his colleagues, "keep the shield wall together."

Spoiler: OOC actions and rolls
    Show

attack Styr: (1d20+7)[26] for damage (1d8+3)[10]

in case of crit: confirmation (1d20+7)[9] for extra damage (2d8+6)[10]