New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

"Okay," Bjorn shouts as he keeps ready to pull her back out, "be careful."

Anna keeps a watch around, while the others are working on crossing the chasm.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

Elissa holds tightly to the rope and lowers herself down further, over the new ledge. She descends the chasm wall, heading deeper, her vision still obscured.

As she eventually nears the end of the rope, some 50ft from her companions on the surface above, she observes a natural bridge of ice jutting perpendicular to the chasm wall. It is narrow, only 2ft or so wide, but is a couple of metres thick and looks solid enough. It disappears into the mist but logically you expect it should span the chasm and link to the far side.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

"There's a bridge down here!" Elissa calls, a bit louder for the extra distance- but not loudly, as sound carries freely up the mostly sheer walls. "Is there.... any more rope? I'm not sure I can cross without untying myself, and that seems unhelpful at best."

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We can have more rope, but well have to tie the second rope to the first," Bjorn shouted back, "Give us a moment."

While he kept the first rope in his hands for now, he let one of the others, preferably someone with experience as a sailor and therefore knots, to tie the ropes together.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne Thrainsdottir, Speaker of Spirits

Heltinne moved forward to help. "Do you have pitons or spikes? We should secure the rope here, so that we have a way back if necessary. Then we can go one at a time, do you think?"

OOC - I got the impression there was enough rope amongst us. And Heltinne will use guidance to hel skill checks as necessary. Or mage hand as required.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 15 HP 12/15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Weapon: MW longspear (+4, 1d8+3), Cold iron Morningstar (+3, 1d8+3)
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (4/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    SLA (alter self): 1/1, Ice armor: 1hr
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4
    Effect: ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I have some," Bjorn said, "if you hold the rope for a moment, I'll dig them out."
    When Heltinne had the rope, he went into his climbing kit to the the necessary equipment to put a piton in the ice they could tie the rope to.
    "If any of us is good at climbing, maybe he or she can stay behind to make sure the rope is loose again, as we might need it again later. Put the rope around you so we can pull you up on the other side if needed."

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne held the rope while Bjorn worked, commenting to the group, "I am certainly not the best at climbing, but I think I can manage with a rope ... and some assistance from the beyond." Once they were done with ensuring a return path, Heltinne joined the others in joining Elsa.

OOC - I guess we press onwards? Ideally H will take 10 on the climb, which hopefully is enough with a rope. She'll use guidance on herself and anyone who needs it.
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (4/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

The party organises the ropes, preparing for the challenge at hand. As Elissa starts to make her way carefully across the ice span the rest of your group begins to descend. The descent is challenging but manageable, even Signy and Bjorn able to do so with much care and effort.

Elissa carefully steps across the bridge, shuffling one step at a time. Her vision of the cliff face is quickly obscuring by the fog and she has little bearing whatsoever - only the narrow ice beneath her feet, the rope trailing and the sloshing of water far below. Still, the unnerving experience doesn't last long as she soon spies ahead of her the far wall of the chasm, evidently only 20ft across as it has narrowed this far down. Disappointingly, perhaps, there is no welcoming gate on the other side of the crevasse, simply a predictable rough ice face to be climbed.

Behind her the rest of the party is halfway down the icy cliff face and beginning to cross the span too, there being nowhere else to find footing. Signun brings up the rear, gathering the rope securely about him as he does.

Spoiler: Next steps
    Show
    Elissa to climb up? DC15 to be the first, without aid of rope.

And yes, you can Take 10 on all these Climb checks.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-11-20 at 04:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

On the far side of the chasm, Elissa pauses to regain her bearing and composure. More than a little glad for the meagre reassurance of the rope, she simply stands with one gloved hand on the ice, breathing slowly. She lets her eyes close and focuses on her heartbeat for a few more moments, and when she opens them, seems to blink a few times in understanding. "Someone come across," she calls. "With the rope secured on both ends, even if only to one of us, you can use it as a guide and third point."

As she braces her feet and tightens her grip on the rope, spirits of the wild suffuse her limbs and her shoulders broaden almost imperceptibly. A bit better prepared to hold fast if the person in the middle slips, she braces herself against the wall and pulls the rope as tight as she can.

With her companions (eventually) safely crossed to her side, she contemplates the rough icy face before her. Her shoulders return to their normal size and shape as the spirits respond to her need. In the same moments, her hands thicken and grow more muscular. Her feet even bend a little within her boots as one toe shifts to oppose the others. Bolstered by spirits she doesn't even know, she begins to climb, having no difficulty thanks to their aid.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gonna use the animal focus ability for strength when her companions cross, in case it matters at all. I think it's just RP, but I want to lean into that detail since it's a big part of who she is.

Then, when everyone has gathered on her side of the bridge, she'll apply the monkey focus for a +4 competence bonus to strength. With a newly modified +8, the climb back up is easily take-10 able, even with a few potential penalties.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

With the rope in place, Anna moved down, taking her time so she wouldn't slip. It was a lot easier with the rope and with her crampons. Bjorn went after her and also took his time. As soon as Elissa got back up to the other side, they also climbed up, again happy that the rope was there. Between that and the crampons it wasn't difficult to climb, but she was still happy it was over.

"So, what does it look like on this side," Anna said while she looked around to see where they had to go now.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne waited until the ropes were secure and followed, albeit slower than the rest. Once she was with the others, she waited as Elissa climbed the next portion, providing her with guidance from the spirits themselves. "Have a care, but know the ancestors smile upon you."

OOC - Casting guidance on Elissa ... and anyone else making the climb (herself included, when it's Hel's turn)
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Elissa arises from the icy fog on the far side of the chasm. Looking back she can see down the valley and back out to the sea where they alighted from the Long Serpent. By her reckoning you must be about half way to the mysterious ice palace by now. With great skill and a bit of effort she secures the rope and asisst the others to climb. Before long you are all up out of the chasm and ready to proceed onwards up the valley.

The middle portion of the valley passes under an area where the canyon walls close together to only 60 feet apart at the top, and barely 30 feet apart on the valley floor. The walls are covered in layers of snow over the ice here. The snow packs the cave mouths in the canyon walls and piles in drifts on every ledge and along the clifftops. Icicles droop down from the canyon’s ledges, forming long, twisted spines that drip water on the sunny side of the valley. Humps of snow from which shards of broken ice protrude cover the floor of the valley.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nature) or Survival DC12
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature) DC12
    Elissa (1d20+4)[18]
    Signy Stone-Eye (1d20+3)[14]
    Anna Sagewood (1d20+2)[6]

Survival DC12
    Freyja Skirlaug (1d20+4)[23]
    Bjorn Ulgardson (1d20+5)[25]
    Elissa (1d20+8)[23]
    Signy Stone-Eye (1d20)[6]
    Anna Sagewood (1d20)[13]
    Signun Olavson (1d20+4)[18]
    Heltinne Thrainsdottir (1d20+1)[9]

There is great avalanche danger here and several such collapses have occurred in the past — including one recently. Anyone aware of the avalanche danger (that's all of you, assuming you tell Heltinne) who makes a DC 13 Wisdom check is able to walk carefully and keep quiet enough to avert disaster. On a failed check, the noise echoes up the canyon, and small amounts of snow rain down from above while a massive icicle crashes down ahead of the party. Traveling through this portion of the canyon requires a total of three Wisdom checks with a +2 modifier to the DC for each failed check. If two checks are failed by anyone, each PC must make a DC 12 Reflex check or be hit by falling ice for 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage. If anyone fails all three checks...

=> if you choose to proceed, let's have 4x Wisdom saves and a DC12 Reflex save (just in case) please.

=> Party

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

Signy Stone-Eye

"'Ware, my warriors." says Signy, "The ice and snow here is unstable. Something has caused it to collapse recently - see over there, and there. Fresh falls."

Spoiler: OOC - Avalanche rolls
    Show
    Wisdom DC13 (1d20)[15] Pass

If needed:

Wisdom DC13 (1d20)[2] Fail
    Wisdom DC13+ (1d20)[14] Fail (vs DC15)
    Wisdom DC13+ (1d20)[17] Pass (vs DC17)

Reflex DC12 (1d20+1)[17] Pass

=> Safe...?

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Signy Stone-Eye
    F N Human (Northlander) Sorcerer (Cunning Woman), Level 2, Init 1, HP 10/10, Speed 30ft
    AC 10, Touch 10, Flat-footed 10, CMD 12, Fort 0, Ref 0, Will 3, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 1
    touch Evil Eye +2 (+1 BAB, +1 Point Blank) (1d6+1 (+1 Point Blank), 20)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Condition
    * Fatigued: A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a –2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'll hold my shield above me to protect me," Bjorn said, "when I'm across, I can slide the shield back and someone else can do the same if needed."
    He moved slowly, shield held above him to protect himself from falling ice. When he's on the other side he slide the shield back if someone needs it.

Anna used her own shield to do the same, holding it above her to protect herself from falling ice.

Spoiler: OOC Bjorn and Anna checks
    Show

Bjorn:
    wisdom 1: (1d20)[5]
    wisdom 2: (1d20)[6]
    wisdom 3: (1d20)[3]
    wisdom 4: (1d20)[14]
    reflex: (1d20+2)[20]

Anna:
    wisdom 1: (1d20)[16]
    wisdom 2: (1d20)[20]
    wisdom 3: (1d20)[5]
    wisdom 4: (1d20)[4]
    reflex: (1d20+5)[25]

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

"Hold, friends." Elissa advises. "Though it is unsteady, it can be made safer with perhaps some effort.' She spends several long minutes looking up at the cliffs, trying to find the most unsteady portion of loose snow and debris.

Her eyes still upward, they narrow into almonds with vertical, avian slits. Peering intently, she comments, "If we can jostle some of the debris, we could cause an avalanche while we are prepared to avoid the worst of it. The crossing should be made much safer, if perhaps more strenuous as we would have to climb over more loose debris."

Show
    I'm assuming that loosening much of the material will indeed make it safer, and that Elissa can infer as much.

Using the animal focus for perception. If needed:
    (1d20+7)[8] perception
    (1d20+4)[14] know geography

(1d20+3)[11] generic wisdom #1

Assuming Elissa can see a suitable place, I'd like to use either nearby stones or ice, or even her longbow to knock some of the ice loose and trigger an avalanche while we're still fairly distant from the danger zone. I'll assume the bow is apt, and roll an attack for that purpose: (1d20+6)[13] (counting the bonus from an animal focus shift to dexterity).

Edit: wow those rolls :(

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Signun Olavson

Signun had dropped down craefully and crossed the icy bridge warily, if relatively easiily before scrambling up the icy rock face with his crampons and ice axe helping as he gathered in the rope behind them. Reaching the top he paused, looking at the narrow canyon with a suspicious look, "Well this is as much fun as a trip into a giant's crotch." he mutters, "Icicles look like Fenrir's teeth going to snap us up in a single bite eh..."

Wearily and with some trepidation he starts edging forward, watching the lip above carefully, and eventually he slips, dropping to a knee, a massive spear of icv shattering beside him. Happy he turns and spies the giantess slipping, topping towards the cliff wall. Watching he looks briefly up at the distant sky, a snarled "Thrymr's ****.." as it all goes wrong

Show

4 Wisdom checks = 2 Pass then 2 Fails and a passed Reflex save
    if more are needed for other people's icicles then (1d20+6)[10] (1d20+6)[17] (1d20+6)[9] (1d20+6)[13]

Signun Olavson
    M CN Northlander Slayer, Level 2, Init 5, HP 17/17, Speed
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 0, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    MW Longspear +5 (1d8+3, x3)
    throwing axes (5) +5 (1d6+2, x2)
    MW Comp Longbow (+2_ (30) +6 (1d8+2, x3)
    Chain shirt (MW) (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition None

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja had dropped down and edged across the bridge, every faint creak and crack filling her with dread, aware she bulked more than the smaller non-juton around her. She breathed a prayer to the all father as she reached the far side and nodded to the others. "Here, let me help..." she offered as she lifted them up the icy cliffs as far as she could stretch before pulling herself up andover the cliff edge.

The jaws oft he canyon beyond were not reassuring, but she made good progress, a mixture of caution and prayers to Odin before she felt her leg slip, a brief scream was all she muster as she toppled and slammed her massive 350lbs (inc. equipment) of bulk into the treacherous canyon wall.......

Show

4 FAILED Wis checks and a failed Reflex save (natural 1)

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Reach (15ft) MW Longspear +8 (2d6+4, X3)
    Battle axe +6 (2d6+4, X3)
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)
    MW Chain Shirt, Heavy wooden shield (+4 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, -1 Size)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13

Condition None
    Axe to Grind (+1 dam if only opponent)
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Cold Weather Stuff:
    Cold weather outfit (+5), MW gloves (+2, -1 ACP), Mukuluk boots (+1 cold, -1 balance)

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

With dawning realisation you see that the power of nature cannot be so easily dismissed. The sharp crack of ice echoing throughout the chasm as more and more buildups break free and you see that the growing mass of deadly ice and snow is being funneled straight towards you, and you have precious little options to evade it.

The thundering mass builds up speed and strength, drowning out the screamsshouts of your companions as you all desperately seek shelter, huddling behind low rises, clambering up the chasm walls for higher ground or leaping for a protected nook, your last vision before everything goes white the jotan shieldmaiden standing resolute as she tries to block the worst of it from you.. As the tremendous blast of icy weight smashes past after what seems ages it eventually settles and serenity returns. You grimly look about and see most of your companions somehow favoured by the Norns and miraculously still alive...of Freyja there is no sign.

Show
    Okay, I'm changing those Wis checks to Survival checks. Much more sensible. The stated Wis check must have been an old OSR throwback IMHO.

Reflex saves still stand, but I'll use them vs the avalanche rather than falling ice.

Bury zone (3 failed Survival checks, DC15 escalating+2)
    (8d6)[35] damage ref DC15 for half

No-one

Slide zone (1+ passed Survival checks)
    (3d6)[14] damage + buried, ref DC15 to negate

Signun (1d20+6)[18]
    Anna (1d20+5)[25]
    Signy (1d20+1)[17]
    Freyja (1d20+2)[3]
    Heltinne (1d20+1)[16]
    Elissa (1d20+6)[19]
    Bjorn (1d20+2)[20]

=> Freyja takes 14 damage + is buried under the snow, everyone else miraculously unscathed.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-12-26 at 02:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa is the first to shake the snow off, and immediately notices the distinct absence of the hulking shieldmaiden. "Freyja! Freyja!" she screams, surprisingly frightened by her companion's sudden disappearance. The wildling trudges through the powder to where she last saw her friend, arms and shoulders growing muscled as she uses them to pummel through the powder. Without any sight, she begins digging frantically, her broad, fur-gloved hands casting aside great clouds of powder as she digs wildly, almost manically.

Show
    Don't know precisely how this would best play out, but Elissa would eagerly attempt to rescue the first person she's ever considered a friend. Maybe survival check(s) to locate Freyja and help dig her free? (1d20+8)[10] survival

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Be careful," Bjorn said to Elissa, "we have to do this correctly or the rest will come crashing down on us. Here, you start from this side and I'll come from this side."

Using his shield, he started to shovel snow and ice out of the way.

Anna kept on guard, just in case something wanted to attack them while the others were digging.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

Bjorn survival: (1d20+5)[19]
    Anna perception: (1d20+5)[25]

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Signun Olavson

Signun crawls up the sides of the canyon before dropping lightly down upon the bury zone, ”Phew, a close one. Seems all those loved by the gods dodged Thmyrs bowels opening.” At the muttering of Freyja missing he shrugs slightly, “She be with Wotan now. Shame, big lass was good for attracting attention.”

He then looks up the route of the avalanche watching carefully for any fresh slip zones

Show

Perception (1d20+6)[8]

Signun Olavson
    M CN Northlander Slayer, Level 2, Init 5, HP 17/17, Speed
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 0, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    MW Longspear +5 (1d8+3, x3)
    throwing axes (5) +5 (1d6+2, x2)
    MW Comp Longbow (+2_ (30) +6 (1d8+2, x3)
    Chain shirt (MW) (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition None

[/QUOTE]

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja looked up at the wall of white crashing down towards her, a roaring mouth of white ice and rocks opening up its maw as it swept towards her “Wotan shelter me..,” she breathed before raising her shield in front of her face and hunching her shoulders

The world turned dark as a hundred fists pummelled and smashed at her whirling and smashing her against the ground and walls of the canyon, her ears filled with a great grinding and bellowing like the screams of Thrrmyr himself

As she stopped moving she felt the cold seeping into her as the pressing weight crushed down upon her. Wriggling and shifting she spat and pushed against the snow and ice spitting out snow and scooping out the snow from the back of the shield to make a space. Listening she spat out snow to see which way was down and started flexing and scrapping at the snow going the other way.

Show

Strength check (1d20+4)[5]

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Cold Weather Stuff:
    Cold weather outfit (+5), MW gloves (+2, -1 ACP), Mukuluk boots (+1 cold, -1 balance)

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne heard the crack, the shouts of her companions, and looked up to see the wall of white descend upon them. Closing her eyes, she brought her hands together and concentrated, mentally praying, Ancient ones, I beseech you to show mercy upon this band. There is much left for us to do here in this realm - let Valhalla wait a little longer before you some these champions home ...

As she stood straight in the face of the avalanche, eyes closed and face serene, she waited for the sounds to diminish before opening her gaze. Looking about, she started to smile as she saw all of her companions ... except one. Elissa's shout was startlingly loud, and she hissed slighty in response. "Not too loud, least we tempt fate once more. The Valkyrie have a need for Freya, but whether she answers the call is up to her. Proceed carefully ... least we join her in Valhalla sooner than expected ..."

Pulling free any torches they might have, Heltinne lit it with a spark and began to look for signs of where the big woman had been before. Once the group found the right spot, she began to melt the snow to aid their excavation.

OOC - Casting guidance on everyone to find Freya. Then Perception - (1d20+7)[19] and/or Survival - (1d20+1)[16] to find where Freya went under. Finally, an Add Another - (1d20)[6] to help get her out (tell me the skill for the right bonus).

I'm guessing my Child of Winter revelation applies now: You gain the constant benefit of endure elements, but only against cold temperatures. You can move across regular snow without penalty, and heavy snow costs you only 2 squares of movement instead of 4. You can move across icy surfaces without penalty, and never need to make Acrobatics checks to run or charge on ice. You leave no trail in ice or snow, and cannot be tracked (you may choose to leave a trail if you so desire). During winter months, you gain a +2 insight bonus on Initiative checks and Reflex saving throws) ... for what it's worth.

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Elissa, Bjorn and Heltinne spread out across the ice expanse searching desperately as the others keep a watch. The scene, silent and glittering, would be pleasant if it weren't for the desperation of knowing your companion has limited time.

A shout goes up, Bjorn and Heltinne converging on a slightly shifting mound of ice, scooping at it as suddenly the defiant forearm of the spearmaiden bursts forth. She's caught firmly by the weight of ice but with a bit of effort you can clear enough to pull her free, the task taking all your strength as she also takes several moments to recover.

...But if that was Freyja who is this? Elissa also spying a boot caught up in the avalanche in the bloodied snow and working hard to free the attached battered body. Clearing the ice and snow she reveals the comatose form of the old huscarl, One-Eyed Sven. His body is blue from cold, his helmet missing and his head a mess of matted blood, but he still lives.

Show
    A simple Heal check reveals One-Eyed Sven is stable but severely injured (ie negative hp).

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as the huscarl was dug out, Anna came forward.
    "Here, let me," she said, calling upon the magic she had learned in the southlands. The wounds closed at least partially, but that was all she could do at the moment. They would have to continue quickly and she hoped he was up to it.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

cast Cure Light Wounds for (1d8+2)[9] HP healed

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne sighed, giving a silent thanks to the spirits that be. She placed a hand on the large woman's side with a smile, murmuring, "Stay a little longer, sister. Vahalla will still be there anon." A warm energy suffused through her form.

When she heard a gasp from across the snow and saw the others pull free One-Eyed Sven, she finished helping Freyja up, then joined them. She was quiet as Anna gave the huscarl magical healing, then leaned down to check his form for wounds or other signs of injuries.

"Here, grab some blankets and bring the torch ... we must warm him up least he succumb to a wasting sickness."

OOC - So CLW for Freyja CLW - (1d8+2)[4] and Heal check - (1d20+8)[12] for Sven (PS - will take 10 if possible)
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (3/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja reached up with a hand felt the moment the hand punched through the crust into air and felt hands holding her hers, with a great wrench she managed to pull her head above the snow and take a deep breath. Eyes streaming she looked at Heltinne and Elissa with an exhausted smile.

As she pulled the rest of herself free the warmth of Heltinne’s magic hit her and she embraced the woman. “my thanks. I though my time was done and I was returning to my ancestors. You have once more pulled me back when I have been found lacking.”

As she digs down to pull out her spear she looks up as they find Sven.”Is that Sven? That is a poor omen, but good we are close to the Jarl and the others.”

Show

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 16/22, Speed 40

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Cold Weather Stuff:

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

Anna's magics clearly make a difference to the injuries suffered by the old fighter, his wounds starting to close but still grave.

Heltinne spends some time checking his condition carefully. While he is now out of immediate danger, his prospects for a swift recovery back to fighting-form are not good. He is likely to remain in a coma for some time while his body heals.

Spoiler: Heal check
    Show
    Signy Aid Another (Heal) (1d20+5)[22]

One-Eyed Sven still in negatives.
    He suffers from extreme hypoxia due to suffocation under the ice - he must have been buried in a prior avalanche.
    He will need a few days rest in order to recover consciousness (or alternatively extremely powerful healing magic eg heal).

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne smiled at her battle-sister and nodded, murmuring, "Tis the will of those that watch ... but you're welcome."

As she checked on Sven, she leaned back with a sigh, shaking her head. "It was quick thinking to try and heal his wounds, Anna, but I think he is beyond our care. I know I do not possess the magicks required to rouse him. He is in his own Odin-sleep and will likely remain for some time. We must figure out how to carry him, least he become food for bears and wolves."

OOC - Ugh, I don't want to leave him, but dragging around a body is a pain!
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (3/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We can use some rope, my tent canvas and the sticks to make a makeshift travois," Bjorn suggested, looking at the other travois they were dragging with them, "use some of our blankets to cover him and keep him warm and we can drag him with us."
    He was not about to leave a fellow huscarl behind, no matter what his companions were thinking, even if he had to drag him all by himself.

"Should work," Anna said, "but we have to do so quickly. We don't want to get caught out here at night."
    She quickly sang her direction spell again to make sure they were still heading in the right direction.