New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

You prepare a makeshift travois, carefully securing the unconscious huscarl into the frame and wrapping him warm with blankets. Once secure you embark again continuing your trek up the frozen valley. Your spirits rise as you ascend and you must surely have almost reached the summit even as the breathtaking view back down the valley to the open ocean occasionally catches your eye.

After climbing up through the valley, the canyon opens up on the high plateau of snow and ice on which the ice palace sits. The plateau is empty of any features and windswept for nearly an entire square mile, with the strange citadel of ice sitting in the center of this expanse. Cutting across the plateau is deep, 300-foot-wide gash in the surface of the ice, a crevasse that makes the previous one look like a mere crack. Jagged heaps of broken ice cover the base of the chasm 300ft below.

Traversing this chasm is a high, narrow bridge of ice, barely 3 feet wide with no handrails or guards. The ice bridge arches high above the chasm in a graceful curve before reaching down and meeting the ground on the other side. Just beyond this bridge of living ice is the palace itself. There are no visible means of going around the chasm; the massive crevasse runs the breadth of the plateau. Strong winds occasionally whip across the plateau, blowing plumes of snow into the air, including across the chasm and the sky bridge.

Spoiler: Scary bridge check
    Show
    Will DC15 or too scared to cross the bridge
    Freyja Skirlaug (1d20+3)[7]
    Bjorn Ulgardson (1d20+1)[17]
    Elissa (1d20+3)[5]
    Signy Stone-Eye (1d20+3)[7]
    Anna Sagewood (1d20+3)[9]
    Signun Olavson (1d20)[7]
    Heltinne Thrainsdottir (1d20+4)[5]

Such heroes! /sarc

It requires a DC15 social check (Bluff/ Diplomacy/ Intimidate) from Bjorn to encourage everyone else to continue across the bridge. Thankfully you can take 20 on this.

And yes you can try to carefully take the travois + huscarl over with you if you wish

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Signy Stone-Eye

Signy goes pale, her mouth tight as she assesses the yawning chasm and massive drop. "This...doesn't look safe. There must be another way, surely."

She looks around futilely in a mild panic, there clearly being no other evident way forward.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Signy Stone-Eye
    F N Human (Northlander) Sorcerer (Cunning Woman), Level 2, Init 1, HP 10/10, Speed 30ft
    AC 10, Touch 10, Flat-footed 10, CMD 12, Fort 0, Ref 0, Will 3, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 1
    touch Evil Eye +2 (+1 BAB, +1 Point Blank) (1d6+1 (+1 Point Blank), 20)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Condition
    * Fatigued: A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a –2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Signun Olavson

Signun had looked at the old husracl and thought about how easy it would be to slit the old boy's throat, but then as the other spoke about travois and taking him with them he backed away, instead drawing his bow and watching the path upwards, an effort to look like a scout and not have to tow the dead weight. "I'll keep watch eh..." he shouts out loudly. Reaching the plateau he pauses, appalled and excited by the majesty of the scene.

As they find the gash in the ground he gulps, the gash easy enough to have been made by the blade of an aesir.. "By the Gods no. Not even if the Jotun were chasing me" he snarls looking at the certain death that the bridge walk looked to be offering.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Signun Olavson
    M CN Northlander Slayer, Level 2, Init 5, HP 17/17, Speed
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 0, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    MW Longspear +5 (1d8+3, x3)
    throwing axes (5) +5 (1d6+2, x2)
    MW Comp Longbow (+2_ (30) +6 (1d8+2, x3)
    Chain shirt (MW) (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition None

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

As if to atone for her failings so far on this trek (and they have been many) Freyja insists on towing poor Sven on the sledge. Occasionally she stops to look at him, a look of concern and worry that such a state could have befallen her had her companions not dug her out so swiftly. She ignores the tracker / thief at the front as best she could until she sees Signun stopping and cursing.

Then she joins him on the vast open plateau, and upon seeing the vast crevasse and narrow bridge she feels icicles of fear drive into her chest. "We cannot cross that, will it even bear our weight" she asks, a look of worry as she gazes down at the drop, then turning looking at the open ice sheets. "A quick fall or slow freeze.... The gods are testing us." she mutters.

Show

Strength check [roll0]

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Reach (15ft) MW Longspear +8 (2d6+4, X3)
    Battle axe +6 (2d6+4, X3)
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)
    MW Chain Shirt, Heavy wooden shield (+4 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, -1 Size)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13

Condition None
    Axe to Grind (+1 dam if only opponent)
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Cold Weather Stuff:
    Cold weather outfit (+5), MW gloves (+2, -1 ACP), Mukuluk boots (+1 cold, -1 balance)

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"C'Mon people," Bjorn said, "what will the gods and your ancestors think of you after all we've been through. Not to mention the Jarl when we tell them what happened. When danger reared its ugly head, they bravely turned and fled? We have our snow gear that will give us enough grip on the ice and we'll do the thing with the rope again. I'll go first, tied to a rope some of you are holding on this side. And then I'll hold the rope at the other end while you cross. Easy and slowly, but I'm sure we can do it. It will hold us. My mother taught me some engineering and I'm sure this is safe. It's an arch, which is a very strong structure. The roof of the Jarl's hall is build using an arch and that is strong, right."

He bound one of the ropes they had to his middle and while using his axe as a walking stick, he slowely moved across the bridge, the travois with Sven still behind him. If they were all scared, he would take the travois himself.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

I'll take 20 on diplomacy to get them to go across (as I have no ranks in either of those skills). I have engineering, so taking 10 for a total of 16 I should be able to tell that the bridge is safe.
    I'm not sure if I can take 20 to cross, otherwise I'll take 10 if a roll is needed. With the crampons and the rope and using my axe as walking stick, I should have some bonusses.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa stops short like so many of her companions at the awe-inspiring sight. "We must...." she murmurs, almost in a trance as she gazes hypnotized by the swirling gusts of power-filled air. She trembles, not from cold, as her eyes remain drawn to the "bridge," in little more than name.

After a moment, Bjorn's words command her attention instead. Her gaze still flickers back to the bridge and back to the man. "No rope will suit here," she observes. "The span is too great. And any such length of hemp would weigh some 60 pounds." She looks around the group of fit, strong warriors, knowing well what that added load might mean in the event of a misstep.

"And you'd just die at the end of the rope instead of the ground," she comments ominously.

"Still, of course you're right. We must cross the bridge." She glances at Sven uneasily. "Strong as it may be, how sure are you that it will bear Freyja and Sven together? Perhaps we could draw him between two others. It would yet weigh less, and spread the load farther..."

Show
    no knowledge engineering, but surely Elissa has seen the consequences of high pressure footsteps on ice?

Regardless, if this isn't out of line, Elissa will volunteer to be on one end with Sven, but she's not strong enough (even with animal focus) to feel confident making the climb (because walking across this thing is suicide) with him, without help.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Maybe not," Bjorn said, "but it will hold me and Sven, so I'll take him across. I might not have Freyja's strength, but I can handle him. I'll take off my armour and carry it on the travois so I'm more nimble. I'll put it back on at the other side."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne Thrainsdottir, Speaker of Spirits

Heltinne stood away from the edge, convinced their journey had come to an end. But with Bjorn’s impassioned speech, and the sight of her companions cautiously moving forward, she looked inward and found her own courage quivering deep inside. With a snarl, she reach in and grabbed it and pulled it over her like a cloak.

Opening her eyes with renewed strength of purpose, she stepped forward and nodded to Bjorn. “Your words both shame me and inspire. Thank you for reminding me of my duty. I shall take the burden.” Taking gold of the end of the makeshift sledge, Heltinne grunted them began to walk across the bridge, eyes fixed on the other side.

OOC - This is happening! Hopefully Child of Winter will keep her from slipping (no oenltues on ice).
    And she should be strong enough to drag a man with a 14 Str

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 15 HP 12/15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Weapon: MW longspear (+4, 1d8+3), Cold iron Morningstar (+3, 1d8+3)
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (3/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    SLA (alter self): 1/1, Ice armor: 1hr
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4
    Effect: ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as some took the chance, Anna followed, slowly moving over the 'bridge', trying her very best not to look down. Luckily she was used to moving over narrow and/or treacherous surfaces.

Show

I'll just take 10 on an acrobatics for 15 to get over (using all our climbing gear).

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Steeling yourselves, you make your way gingerly over the bridge, Bjorn's words encouraging you to action. Your gaze focused on the far side and the looming ice palace you are careful not to look down, with the exception of Freyja who fancies she briefly spies a broken body and a tiny blot of blood-smeared ice far below...

Nevertheless your own progress is sound, and slowly but surely you complete the crossing without incident.

Facing the ice bridge and the yawning chasm that cuts across the high plateau is a palace of three soaring spires made of solid, opaque ice — like a great, jagged, tri-pronged icicle inverted and set on its base. Fronting the palace is a long, statue-lined processional and a broad plaza — all paved with slabs of ice, blown clean by the constant wind. The palace itself is composed of three spires like giant inverted icicles: a tall central spire that tapers up to a point nearly 300 feet above the ground flanked by two matching towers that are more than 200 feet high. The western spire is partially collapsed, with only the first 100 feet still standing. Bridges of ice, 2 feet thick, extend between the eastern and western spires and from these to the central spire. The bridges are unsupported and have no rails. At the point where the two bridges meet is a small rostrum and balcony that looks out over a plaza below. The entire area is windswept and clear of snow. It is also unnaturally quiet, not even the crash of the endless breakers reaches these heights of the iceberg.

A 10-foot-wide, 80-foot-long processional leads from the bridge to a broad plaza. The processional and the plaza are paved in windswept blocks of ice 10 feet square and fitted together with amazing precision. The edges of the processional are lined with disturbing statues carved from solid blocks of ice that blend man and demon and often feature brutal depictions of slavery, violence, or cannibalism. Where the processional meets the plaza, it splits into two branches, one heading to the base of the eastern spire, and one to the base of the western spire. These side branches are similar to the main processional, complete with horrific statues of carved ice.

Spoiler: Map 1
    Show

Spoiler: Map 2
    Show

Spoiler: Map 3
    Show

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Absolutely not ominous," Anna said to no-one in particular, "I can't shake the feeling that this castle bodes."

"Bodes what," Bjorn asked. He had to agree with Anna that this was not really a nice spot to be.

"Just bodes," she replied with a wan smile, while she studied the statues in the hope to get more indication as to who or what they might encounter further down. She didn't really want to, but she knew she might have the knowledge.

Spoiler: OOC spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure what knowledge this is, so I'm going to roll just a d20 and the GM can add the appropriate modifier.
    knowledge roll: (1d20)[7] (for History, add +7; for Arcana, geography, local, add +6; all others add +2 as I can roll all knowledges untrained).

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the group gathered on the other side of the bridge, they were finally able to take a moment and gaze upon the grandeur of the ice palace. Heltinne scanned the path ahead, taking in the two flanking towers and the central area. “It seems we have choice ... left or right. However, I wonder what happened to the left side to leave this obviously enchanted fortress in such disarray. We should ready the ropes, least a strong breeze take one of us over the edge.”

She left it unsaid that the entire approach seemed like a trap waiting to be sprung ...

OOC - Looking for signs of a trap, making sure they can access the central spire from both sides, and checking to see if anyone is on the balcony.
    Perception - (1d20+7)[24]

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spell (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (3/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa frowns, less relieved to be across the bridge than she anticipated. As she silently takes in the gruesome and eerie sights, her eyes flicker back and forth between her more verbal companions. Nodding thoughtfully, she begins to prowl forward, distinctly aware of just how exposed they all are on the pristine and bare walkway. She retrieves her bow and looks back over her shoulder.

"I doubt the owner of such a place will be friendly," she murmurs. "Let's go left. Perhaps the enemy of our enemy might be an ally?" She gestures to the ruin, her eyes suddenly shift slightly, leaving her appearing just slightly off. As she approaches, the wildling gazes upwards at the spires and elevated walkways, certain that something must be watching...

Show
    We'll roll perception, but I don't figure there's enough cover for anything like stealth to be remotely reasonable. Applying the falcon animal focus:
    (1d20+14)[22]

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Signun Olavson

Signun had held his breath for most of the crossing and breathed a sigh of relief as he reached the far side. Only slightly dissapointed not to see Freyja or one of the others fall - if only for the morbid curiousity of what would happen when their body hit the base of the crevasse.

Making sure his bow is to hand and an arrow nocked he eyed the ice palace with a narrow glare. "Its not welcoming here is it... THe staues are like my family reunion. But we should tread warily, nothing good lurks here that is for sure."

He is happy to scout slightly ahead, creeping from statue to statue and watching with bow in hand.

Show

Perception (1d20+9)[23]
    Stealth (1d20+9)[22]

Signun Olavson
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 0, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Condition None

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

FReyja had hugged Bjorn, a swift but crushing embrace before they had started crossing the gorge. "The gods test us, but our ship mates lend us strength and valour" she mutters/ Before praying out a loud blessing to Wotan the all father and starting to cross. Her shield slung on her back and the massive wooden spear - almost as long as fisherboat's mast held out to the side for balance.
    By the time she reaches the far side and sees the palace her cheeks are flushed and the sweat pools down her back and between her breasts from the effort.

"Thank you..." she mutters to the gods before she spies the horrific statues. Her eyes narrow at the thief's flippant joke about his family and she is quick to grasp her shield. "Please, let me keep you safe." she adds to Bjorn and Heltinne as she starts walking up the promenade between the terrifying statues.

Show

Strength check [roll0]

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Cold Weather Stuff:
    Cold weather outfit (+5), MW gloves (+2, -1 ACP), Mukuluk boots (+1 cold, -1 balance)

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

The area is desolate & windswept - you don't spy any signs of life either on the balcony or external to the ice palace, nor do you see any previously hidden tricks or traps that you may stumble across.

Anna studies the statues. The style of the ice carvings bears no familiarity to any Northlander carvings that she is aware of, nor to the ancient Andøvan style either.

Signun sneaks forward darting from statue to statue as Freyja follows striding boldly. Mid-way along the first processional there is a flicker of movement as flanking sculptures of hulking shaggy simian creatures address you in a booming harsh incomprehensible language, the two statues turning their heads and baring their canine teeth as they observe you.

Show
    *incomprehensible* unless anyone has any language skills beyond those noted on your sheets as spoken tongues
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2022-01-14 at 04:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Signun Olavson

As a couple of the statues turn out not to be statues Signun mutters an oath, "may Hel's piss burn you..." before he ducks behind the nearest statue, a glance to make sure it properly stone and draws a bead on the nearest of the howling simians with his bow, as he does he whispers to the others, "Hey big lady... they seem your type."

Show

Stealth (1d20+9)[15] to hide
    Studied target on the nearest on

Signun Olavson
    Condition None

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja had been muttering prayers to Wotan as she advanced, eyes wide watching the statues and the sheer walls of the ice palace up ahead. At the sudden hooting and growling as two of the statues move she freezes. "We mean no harm..." she bellows loudly, grounding the spear and holding point away from them, looking back she looks to Elissa and Signy, "What are these beasts, do they even understand us..." Although looking non threatening she alert and ready to fight if they charge

Show

Strength check [roll0]

Freyja Skirlaug

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Cold Weather Stuff:

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

The ape-like ice statues simply stand, fierce but now utterly motionless, unresponsive to Signun and Freyja's actions.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Anna is surprised when the statues come to life. She didn't understand the language, but she listens anyway, trying to figure out what language they actually were using. She really should have paid more attention when she was down south when they tried to teach her their languages.
    "Anybody know what they are, or are supposed to be?"
    "Greetings," she said to them in every language she knew, "we come in peace and are just seeking shelter."

Show

linguistics to identify the language: (1d20+5)[22]

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

"The Taer," Elissa grunts from a few paces back. In short words she explains the important details, with an increasingly confused expression. "Territorial and fierce. They, uh... don't usually bother with talk...." She takes a few steps back, keeping the knocked arrow trained deliberately on the stones at her feet.

"They must be guardians. If we can't talk our way in, we'll have to fight."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The spirit-talker frowned at the sudden appearance of the guardians. The situation continued to grown more bizarre by the moment, and the group was ill-equipped to parley with a group of snow beasts that didn't speak their tongue. However, one did not always need a common verbal language to communicate. Stepping forward, she asked the spirits for help in her efforts, then cast another spell. A sounds sound of eerie wails arose, centered on the group. The words sounded almost like chanting, but undecipherable.

Calling out in the tongue of the giants, she shouted, "We go to tall peaks. We seek no fight, and offer truce. But we are strong ... raised claws will die!" As she spoke, Heltinne watched the beasts carefully, muttering under her breath to Freyja and the others, “Keep your weapons handy ... if they seem hesitant or look aggressive, raise your weapons and roar.”

OOC - Using ghost voice to give us some supernatural feels ... using guidance to help my 'diplomacy' check. Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[22] Speaking to them in Giant, hoping they understand it.

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I think they speak Abyssal, the language of Demons," Anna said to the others, "If they don't speak anything else, I don't think we're going to get far."

Bjorn made sure he had his weapons and shield ready, just in case.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

The statues glare, menacingly but immobile as Heltinne and Anna try to engage them in dialogue. The rest of you step back, weapons at the ready especially once Anna identifies their use of demonic speech.

Predictably, as you are unable understand or meet their challenge, the situation escalates. The sunlight dims noticeably around you and the statues jerk to life, sinews flexing as the ice sculptures magically transform into very-real shaggy simian taer. They roar aggressively baring their teeth and a foul odour hits you from their lank oily body hair as they leap forward to attack!

Show

Stench aura 30ft. Fort DC13 or sickened (–2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks) for 10 rounds.

Area is subject to darkness effect. Light goes from bright -> normal, so limited game impact if any.

Initiative
    Freyja Skirlaug (1d20+1)[16]
    Bjorn Ulgardson (1d20+6)[22]
    Elissa (1d20+5)[21]
    Signy Stone-Eye (1d20+1)[7]
    Anna Sagewood (1d20+2)[3]
    Signun Olavson (1d20+5)[9]
    Heltinne Thrainsdottir (1d20+1)[20]
    Taer (1d20+2)[17]

Signy fort save DC13
    Signy Stone-Eye (1d20)[4]

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Statues provide cover and impede charge actions, but don't otherwise impact movement.

=> Bjorn, Elissa, Heltinne

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa leaps into motion, having fully expected violence from the bizarre not-statues. Though the odor brings an unpleasant frown to her awkward features, she doesn't seem otherwise greatly effected. Needing no further encouragement, she lifts her bow and looses an arrow at the nearer creature.

Spoiler: Elissa, round 1
    Show
    Elissa
    F N Half Elf Feral Hunter, Level 2, Init 5, HP 16/16, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Elven Curved blade (MW) +5 (1d10+1, 18-20, x2)
    Elven Branched Spear +4 (1d8+1, x3) (+2 attack to AoOs, Brace, Reach)
    Composite Longbow (+1 str) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
    Leather Lamellar (MW), Klar (leather) (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 7
    Condition Dirty Fighter: +1 damage when flanking
    1st level spells: 3/3

Use animal focus (Tiger) for +2 dex:
    (1d20+5)[18] composite longbow (vs BT/31)
    (1d20+5)[17] CC (25, x3)
    (1d8+1)[6] damage
    (2d8+2)[15] crit bonus

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Form a shieldwall," Bjorn shouted as he moved up to attack one of the critters, swinging his axe.

Spoiler: OOC Bjorn round 1
    Show

fortitude save DC13: (1d20+5)[23]
    move to BU29 and attack BT28
    attack: (1d20+7)[19] for damage: (1d20+3)[14]

Bjorn Ulgardson
    M LG Human fighter (Huscarl), Level 2, Init 6, HP 22/22, Speed 30
    AC 20, Touch 12, Flat-footed 18, CMD 17, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 0, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Masterwork Battle Axe +7 (1d8+3, x3)
    cold iron Short sword +5 (1d6+3, 19-20/x2)
    silver, masterwork dagger +6 (+5) (1d4+3, 19-20/x2)
    breastplate, heavy wooden shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne glanced back at Anna as the woman mentioned the abyssal tongue. Before she could do anything with that information, however, the beasts roared and began to surge forward. Even as she pulled her spear and stepped back, a wave of noxious fumes washed over her, threatening to release the meager contents of her stomach. Trembling, she held her spear tightly and braced for a charge.

To the call for a shield wall, she gagged and grunted, "Feel free ... I've got naught but a spear ..." Any additional response was lost in a loud gagging sound.

OOC - Bracing for a charge ...

Spoiler: Status - Round 1
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Effect: sickened (-2 to all checks, 9 more rounds); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-02-08 at 03:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Bjorn moves up, swinging his axe at the feral ape-beast, blood spraying as he hits it for 7 damage. It roars in rage spittle flying as it beats its chest trying to cower and intimidate the brave man.

Elissa shoots at the other, arrow striking for 6 damage as it leaps forward, powerful arms flailing at your group a backhand swiping Anna a nasty blow for 7 damage.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Taer Demoralize vs Bjorn DC12 (1d20-2)[9] Fail

Taer vs Anna (flat-footed)
    slam (1d20+6)[16] damage (1d4+3)[7]
    slam (1d20+6)[11] damage (1d4+3)[7]
    bite (1d20+6)[13] damage (1d4+3)[5]

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Statues provide cover and impede charge actions, but don't otherwise impact movement.

=> Party

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Anna cried out when the critter hit her, but she quickly recovered and she swung her bastard sword at the monkey in front of her. But she did try to keep from being hit again.

Spoiler: OOC Anna round 1
    Show

attack BU30: (1d20+2)[15] for damage: (1d10+1)[7]
    Use combat expertise to gain AC 19

Anna Sagewood
    Female NG Human Bard, Level 2, Init 2, HP 13/7, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 14, Fort 2, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    MC Bastard sword +3 (1d10+1, 19-20/X2)
    shortbow (20) +3 (1d6, X3)
    1 cold iron, 1 silver daggers +2 (+3) (1d4+1, 19-20/X2)
    MC chainshirt, Heavy wooden shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Condition None

Seeing that Anna had been hit, Bjorn turned and attacked the same monkey, using her shield to also shield him more.

Spoiler: OOC Bjorn round 2
    Show

attack BU 30: (1d20+6)[25] for damage: (1d8+5)[8] using power attack.
    due to shield wall feat and huscarl treat (allowing me to use shield wall even if the other person doesn't have it), Bjorn has AC 22 now

Bjorn Ulgardson
    M LG Human fighter (Huscarl), Level 2, Init 6, HP 22/22, Speed 30
    AC 20, Touch 12, Flat-footed 18, CMD 17, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 0, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Masterwork Battle Axe +7 (1d8+3, x3)
    cold iron Short sword +5 (1d6+3, 19-20/x2)
    silver, masterwork dagger +6 (+5) (1d4+3, 19-20/x2)
    breastplate, heavy wooden shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa is grateful for her companions forming a wall before her. Without wasting effort on words, she looses another arrow.

Spoiler: Elissa, round 2
    Show
    Elissa
    F N Half Elf Feral Hunter, Level 2, Init 5, HP 16/16, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Elven Curved blade (MW) +5 (1d10+1, 18-20, x2)
    Elven Branched Spear +4 (1d8+1, x3) (+2 attack to AoOs, Brace, Reach)
    Composite Longbow (+1 str) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
    Leather Lamellar (MW), Klar (leather) (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 7
    Condition Dirty Fighter: +1 damage when flanking
    1st level spells: 3/3

Use animal focus (Tiger) for +2 dex:
    (1d20+5)[10] composite longbow (vs BU/30)
    (1d20+5)[8] CC (25, x3)
    (1d8+1)[3] damage
    (2d8+2)[10] crit bonus