New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

Dark Dreams Wanderer

The Wanderer quickly shares his findings with the group, and echoes Signy’s concerns. Loosing a shrill whistle, he calls to the horses knowing that a short time spent recovering their mounts will be greatly repaid in the miles they will cover on horseback.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20+2)[9] Handle Animal Check

Do I know if the hills will be easier to pass on horseback than the fens?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

The giantess watches the trackers and the flurry of activity as they look at the stone tablet, the mud on the forest floor and the map. SHe curses inwardly at her lack of help. A life of reaving on the seas does not it seem, help with land locked tracking. As she listens to SIgny's words she looks worried."Would these witches you speak of use the girls in these rituals?" her grip tightening on the massive spear. "Which way Dark Dreams Wander, how do we track these Loki cursed bastards down." She looks almost embarassed. "I cannot help you track but I can lead the charge when we meet them."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Following, Gunnar was steaming, usually a quiet man, with little words, he was bitterly silent as they followed the Nuk and the traks, upon seeing the tablet, he growled openly.

"This is not good. Bastards! The witch Sibbe is responsible for this! I'd wager my honor she's using the girls for some Andøvan ritual tomorrow. We must go to the Tor, but be warned, those circles contain deadly magiks," he points to the stone tablet "like that one," Seeing the tracks, he shakes his head in anger "And know that the Barrow lands are a dangerous place, protected by the dead that haunt it, protecting their halls in this life and the next. We should get going, we know where these honorless thieves are going."

"I say we go over the moors, we have no time to waste!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

You gather the horses, a simple task for the Wanderer but nevertheless every moment not in pursuit irks you. With still an hour or two before the sun sets you mount up, Freyja hastening alongside and the wee dog Bogi yipping about excited at the grim tension. With the sun lowering on the horizon you break from the Meadows and follow the trail out of the woods and through the Moors, the Trollfist Hills rising on your flank to the south. Observing the trail of the kidnappers Dark Dreams Wanderer notes that the horses are all being ridden hard; the riders clearly do not care if the horses survive the trip so long as they reach their destination quickly.

Muddy, heath-covered, and dotted with small bogs, the Moors run from the coast to the Forest of Woe far to the south, interrupted only by the Stonefist Hills, forested areas, and occasional barrow fields of the ancient Andøvan peoples. Only the barest hints of green have begun to spring up among the broken rocks and muddy hollows. The winds of a recent winter still blow across this flatland and chill through all but the heaviest cloaks, and the occasional bog pool still has a rime of fragile ice around its edges. There is no cover on the moors, leaving you feeling exposed and vulnerable to any watching eyes.

The horizon is a fair distance and the later afternoon sky is clear, so you can easily see for several miles. Storm clouds are rolling in and beginning to gather in a spiraling tempest over the Barrows far to the southwest, hovering low and sending down bolts of lightning to strike the stones below.

The poorly drained, soggy moor dominates the middle of the Hord Peninsula. This area, known simply as the Moors, is considered wasteland by most of the Northlanders and is known to be inhabited by strange beasts, crazed hermits, and outcasts from holdings all over the region. Adding to the dread that you feel when traveling through the area, the higher and drier parts of the Moors often contain rings of broken stones or ancient barrows whose occupants are assumed to be restless and hunger for the blood of the living. No one knows for sure what is out there, as few people are foolish enough to risk their lives and sanity by traveling the Moors to any great extent.

Spoiler: Knowledge Geography DC15 - Gunnar & Skorri
    Show
    knowledge geography
    Gunnar (1d20+6)[16]
    DDW (1d20+5)[8]
    Skorri (1d20+5)[24]

The strange localised stormclouds seem to be centered on the approximate location of The Tor, your destination ~15 miles away.

Spoiler: Travel choices
    Show
    So do you want to hustle while following the trail, or travel at a more measured pace?

All going well you should be able to reach The Tor in about 8 hours at normal mounted pace, although Freyja would need to hustle to keep up. If everyone hustles you will get there in ~5 hours.

Alternatively you could travel more slowly at Freyja's normal pace which would extend the journey by an hour or two, taking the trip over 8 hours and requiring some Forced March checks.

All of the above choices should get you to The Tor well before sunrise (all going as planned...)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Skorri peers with worried eyes at the stormclouds gathering to the southwest.

"They're forming over the Tor," he informs the others. "I can only assume that this is somehow part of the Andøvan magic ritual you spoke of?" Skorri directs this question to Signy. "Which would mean that the kidnappers and the seiðkona Sibbe the Unkempt are likely already there. I'm tempted to say that the horses be damned and we get to the Tor as quickly as possible, though I fear our spear-maiden giantess would struggle to keep up... what say you, Freyja? Also, who knows obstacles those we pursue have put in place to slow us down? Gah!" he exclaims in frustration, looking to Gunnar for advice. "How do we proceed? If we were sailing after them, I'd have a better idea of what choice to make!"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Dark Dreams Wanderer

Mounts now secured, the wild-haired Nuklander looks to his companions, with particularly concerned eyes at Freyja. "I worry for our charges. I am swift and silent.
    Should I ride ahead and find a place from which to watch? Warleader, lead us."
    He holds the reigns of his horse with a nervous tension that has the beast dancing in place as the decision is anticipated.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Signy

"Even if the witch Sibbe" she spits out the name "has made it to the Tor already, the ritual must wait until sunrise. The children are safe until then. But at sunrise their lifeblood will wash over the stones and charge the rebirth of the old hag."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Dark Dreams Wanderer

"Then we should make our way so as to arrive before the dawn, as fresh and ready as we can! This once, time may be our ally as the long hours of the night must pass before the sun sheds its bloody light once more."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

Hefting spear in hand she points the way that Dark Dreams has indicated. "I agree my Nuk friend. We had best make good time so that we may have a few minutes of rest before we strike come the dawn. Odin himself will guide our hand in striking those down who steal harmless children." She spins the massive 15ft long shaft of wood tipped with a razor tip angrily beheading many a blade of grass as she waits for the others to mount up. Then she jobs beside them, keeping pace with the laden down horses.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Mounted, you follow the trail of the kidnappers through the muddy Moors. Freyja and the wee dog Bogi walking swift as they can alongside. You make good progress as the sun sets and darkness sets in over the Moors. A bright moon illuminates the way fairly well and Dark Dreams is able to guide you well, and although a bank of cold fog hinders your progress at one point Skorri is able to set your bearings back to follow the trail.

Spoiler: Following the trail
    Show
    DDW succeeds on all but one Survival check. Skorri casts Know Direction surreptitiously and gets you back on track

After about three hours of travel you have passed the Trollfist Hills and are headed south, the forest to the east. The land is drier here, the ground higher than that of the surrounding bog lands. Occasional mounds of earth, elongated and low, dot the terrain. You suspect this is the edge of the Barrow Lands and dread what foul specters must lurk beneath the thin veneer of earth that covers them. You only hope that your passing has not disturbed any of them. Your hope is short-lived, however, as in the dim moonlight ahead, directly upon the path you follow, stand the remains of what must have once been one of the mounds. Someone has recently dug down into the very center of it, leaving a large crater surrounded by piles of freshly turned earth. More than one glint of bone can be seen in this churned furrow.

The horses whinny nervously and then with more alarm as shadows shift and several shapes rise up, earth falling from their skeletal forms. Clad in tattered rags and carrying bronze-bladed spears and swords, the dead of ancient Andøvan have come to deal with trespassers...

Spoiler: rolls & info
    Show
    Knowledge religion
    Freyja (1d20+4)[24]
    These are normal skeletons.

Surprise round
    6 Skeletons stand up from prone

Round 1: Initiative
    Gunnar (1d20+3)[11]
    DDW (1d20+2)[10]
    Freyja (1d20+1)[6]
    Skorri (1d20+2)[17]
    Signy (1d20+1)[16]
    Bad guys (1d20+6)[10]

Spoiler: Map
    Show

• Terrain effects: 20% concealment from night-time darkness unless you have darkvision etc or a light source
    • Note - you are all 'large' size because you are currently mounted (excl. Freyja). If you dismount into an adjacent square a horse icon will remain in your previous location.
    • Feel free to alter your starting positions if what I have chosen offends you

=> Gunnar, Skorri & Signy
    Post in any order & I'll resolve in order of posting unless you indicate otherwise
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-01-02 at 04:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Skorri, normally talkative, sits silently (and increasingly uncomfortably) in the saddle as they ride through the Moors and towards the Barrowlands. His tension and unease rise as the horses grow skittish; and his expression darkens as he sees the disturbed earth ahead.

"What truly depraved vermin they must be, to disturb the resting places of fallen warriors; there's no honour at all to these scavengers..." he mutters quietly, then lets out a sharp oath as those same fallen warriors rise up before them.

He dismounts as quickly as he can from his horse before the temperamental beast can bolt or throw him, and readies his shield while reaching for his axe. "Stand fast!" he shouts.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Ride check for attempted fast dismount: (1d20+1)[15] vs DC 20. Free action on success, move action on fail.

Move action (once dismounted): ready shield.

Free action: 5' step towards the skeletons to P11.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2019-01-04 at 04:33 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Gunnar roars at the sight of the abominations, what evil deeds did their ancestors do to suffer such a fate? he thought, as he slid down off his horse with Skorri.

"SHIELD WALL!" he barks out, taking a step, and pulling out his shield.

Spoiler
    Show

Ride check for attempted fast dismount: ride Check - (1d20+4)[22] vs DC 20. Free action on success, move action on fail.

readies shield and moves out in front of the horses to M15
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-01-23 at 11:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Your mounts whinny in fear their eyes wide as the barrow-spawned dead heft their cracked weapons and hurtle towards you. Skorri and Signy slip from their panicked horses, as does Gunnar raising his shield high. "The barrowmen of this cursed land are angered by our very heartbeats! Hold fast warriors!" breathes Signy, echoing Skorri as she clutches at her charms and trinkets. Freed from their riders, the panicked horses of the three bolt into the night.

Before the Wanderer or Freyja can even raise their arms the charnel ancients are upon you, broken and rusted spears and swords beating against your blades and shields! Mørkedrømevandrer's horse incurs a nasty wound for 2 damage even as nearby Gunnar is assailed by a small mob taking blows on his great shield. Outnumbered one slips a clumsy but brutal sword-chop past his guard hitting for 6 damage.

Spoiler: Rolls & info
    Show
    Signy
    Move: Attempt fast dismount Ride DC20 (1d20+1)[8] Fail
    Standard: Ready disrupt undead spell

Skeletons - charge!
    vs DDW sword/ spear (1d20+2)[4] damage (1d6)[2]
    vs DDW's horse sword/ spear (1d20+2)[8] damage (1d6)[5]
    vs DDW's horse sword/ spear (1d20+2)[13] damage (1d6)[2] Hit
    vs Gunnar sword/ spear (1d20+2)[8] damage (1d6)[3]
    vs Gunnar sword/ spear (1d20+2)[19] damage (1d6)[6] Hit
    vs Gunnar sword/ spear (1d20+2)[3] damage (1d6)[1]

Show

Terrain effects:

• 20% concealment from night-time darkness unless you have darkvision etc or a light source

=> Party
    (DDW's horse will flee with the others on his turn given the opportunity. He can dismount or try to control it beforehand, as usual)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

As Gunnar rushes in front of her she sees watches the horde of the undead running forwards, as they advance she snarls, her massive 12ft long wooden spear shaft with a 4ft spear blade lashes out at the central one to try and intercept it before it can reach Gunnar.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show

20ft reach AoO on Central skeleton (L15)
    - Attack (1d20+5)[12] dam (2d6+3)[14]

She spits, "Accursed undead. They should be in the halls of Valhalla or Hel itself." SHe looks to the others before lashing out over Gunnar's head with a cry of "For Odin!" as the spear lashes out towards the nearest skeleton.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

- Attack (1d20+5)[17] dam (2d6+3)[12]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Gunnar grunts as a blade finds its way past his defense, slicing flesh and viscera alike, he had felt worse, but he was not caring to be raised to Valhalla by the Valkyries today!

He surged with the adrenaline of battle, swiping at the undead men before him with his axe, they would not take this man alive, not this day!

"Undead! It is our duty as sworn men of the Jarl to put them to rest, only then can their ancestors be at peace!"

Spoiler
    Show

attack - (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage - (1d8+2)[10] (slashing)

HP's: 5/11
    AC: 18
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-01 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Skorri

Skorri draws his axe from a loop at his belt and stepping forward holds it aloft. In a voice well-trained and strengthened by shouting above the crash of waves and roaring winds, he chants.

"The blood of warriors flows in our veins and guides our hand;
    Against our valour these shadowed mockeries cannot stand!"

Show
    Move Action: draw weapon (axe), and 5' step forwards to O11.

Standard Action: start Raging Song - Inspired Rage: affected allies gain a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer

The Wanderer's lips curl as he feels the words of Skorri boil within him. His mighty weapon flashes from his back with astonishing speed, lashing down at the skeletal warrior to his right. Following the movement, he rolls off the back of his horse and barks an order in the Nuk language at the horse, ordering it to retreat rather than flee.

Show
    (1d20+6)[12] to hit (+4 normal, +1 Rage, +1 high ground - mounted) for (1d10+5)[8] damage

(1d20+2)[9] Ride check to fast dismount, failed but still move action to dismount.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2019-02-01 at 12:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Battle is joined! Retaliating to the surprise attack Freyja lashes out at one of the ancient Andøvan warriors, striking for 7 damage shattering its battered armour and sending its old bones flying apart. The rest of you close, Mørkedrømevandrer's horse fleeing from the fray even as Skorri's bold words of valour rise above the din of battle and the barking of the dog. Gunnar, blood dripping, swings his axe the heavy weapon crunching down for 5 damage felling an assailant.

From the rear you hear your cunning woman Signy's strange words of magic and a pulse of energy zaps out from the darkness blasting another of the unnatural animated foes for 7 damage its bones tumbling to the dirt.

With the alarm and surprise of the initial attack now receding you're able to get your combat wits about you. The remaining warriors of old swing and poke with their ancient broken weapons but you are able to easily dodge and defend yourselves against their clumsy attacks.

Spoiler: rolls & info
    Show
    Freyja's longspear is a reach weapon so technically needs a 5ft step as can't be wielded in close (5ft or 10ft) melee combat. Negligible game effect in this instance though.

Gunnar miss 1-20 (1d100)[34]

Signy 5ft step & cast disrupt undead
    ranged touch (1d20+2)[22] damage (1d6+1)[3] miss 1-20 (1d100)[83]
    crit? (1d20+2)[16] damage (1d6+1)[4]

Skeletons
    vs DDW sword/ spear (1d20)[5] damage (1d6)[1]
    vs DDW sword/ spear (1d20)[13] damage (1d6)[2]
    vs Gunnar sword/ spear (1d20)[4] damage (1d6)[1]

Show

Terrain effects:

• 20% concealment from night-time darkness unless you have darkvision etc or a light source

=> Party

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Feeling emboldened by his own words and the courage of his comrades, Skorri keeps chanting and steps forward, hacking with his axe at the skeletal warrior before him.

Show
    Free action: maintain Raging Song (Inspired Rage: +2 Str/Con, +1 Will, -1 AC).

5' step to N11, attack skelly in M11.

Battleaxe: (1d20+3)[21] ; concealment miss chance 1-20 (1d100)[75]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Watching his axe fell the undead man before him, he quickly realized his weapon was not as efficient, but seeing the others fall, he kept at it, his weapon, slick with his own blood, wheeled back to slice at the skeleton before him.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+4)[5]]
    Damage - (1d8+2)[10] (slashing)

HP's: 5/11
    AC: 18
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer

The fierce Nuk lashes out once again with his mighty Terbutje!

Show

(1d20+5)[24] to hit for (1d10+6)[13]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

Freyja feels the thrumming music filling her with a fiery thirst for battle and spins around, with Gunnar holding his own she steps to her left and lunges with a long thrust of her spear at the distant skeleton fighting the young Nuk.

Spoiler: Freyja
    Show

5ft to the left
    Stab M11
    - Attack (1d20+6)[25] dam (2d6+4)[12]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

With the initial horror and outrage of the blasphemy over you quickly fall back on your fighting instincts. The battle is over quickly, the remaining mouldering Andøvan undead falling to your axes and spears in short order.

All is quiet save your heavy breathing as you regain yourselves and the snuffling of the dog among the littered skeletal remains. Nearby you hear the horses whinny and it surely won't be a difficult task to recover them. The unearthed barrow from which the restless bodies were disturbed is marked by little more than a large trench in the earth strewn now with broken bones, battered ancient bronze weaponry & armour, and various stone trinkets and charms that have withstood the ravages of time.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Gunnar falls to one knee, panting, blood stained his left arm where the undead kin had wounded him, he was close to being overcome by the rage, no help to Skorri. He had hoped he would never fall to it again, but fate is what it is, at least he kept most of his blood this fight.

"Should we tarry to bury them? We don't have much time...Gather the horses, maybe we can inter them that their ancestors will not curse us."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

Smashing a skull nearby with her massive booted foot the giantess she shakes her head. "Their spirits are with Valkyries or with Hel. The bodies rot and we have the girls to save." THe giantess gestures onwards, "Come fellow warriors, lets continue to save the girls."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Gunnar nods, he stands and moves to gather the horses, regret clear on his face that he cannot respect the dead, but their mission was too important.

Perhaps he could come by afterwards and pay his respects...
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Ceasing his chant as the last of the walking dead warriors falls, Skorri surveys the battlefield through the mists, panting more from the thrill of the fight than actual exertion.

He nods in agreement with Freyja. "Aye, the needs of the living sorely outweigh the needs of the dead, restless or not. Let's find our horses and proceed; we can lay these remains to a more respectful rest on our return with the girls."

He notes the blood staining Gunnar's arm and approaches. "That's not too deep, is it? Leave a nice scar to impress Svanhild and the young ones, hey?" he asks, trying to make light of the injury while making certain the older man was okay.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

You gather your horses, mindful of any further restless dead that may have been disturbed. Thankfully only this one barrow seems to have been desecrated by the witch and her accomplices. Despite the darkness you are easily able to retrieve your nearby mounts.

In the distance to the south you can still clearly make out flashes of lightning marking your destination. Clearly the Cusp of Freyja, the spring equinox, is channeling magical power from the lands around. Mindful of the girls you press on through the night. At some point the trail that you follow must have been an actual path or road cutting across the moor. After a couple of miles the ground grows swampy and a large bog, visible mostly as a misty depression of still and silent fog, stretches ahead blocking your path.

A wooden walkway leads directly into the misty bog, supported about a foot above the water by stout wooden pilings. The walkway is missing the occasional plank but otherwise seems like it would be wide enough (and sturdy enough) for horses or a giantess to travel single-file.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Gunnar reigns in his horse as he looks to the planking and back at the group, switching sides as his mount prances while he talks "We must needs push on, if one of the horse goes lame, best get as far as we can." he finishes by patting his horse thoughtfully "They have served us well, maybe we let them loose here and head on?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

The giantess looks at the misty pathway and nods. "Aye, best to head as best we can. Shall I take the lead, if it can take my weight it will support the rest of you." She pushes forward, walking down the the wooden pathway as best she can, her spear pushing the planks looking for loose ones as she keeps her eyes peeled. Walking forward she utters a brief prayer to Odin and Thor as the crackles of magic can be seen at the summit.