New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

Freyja

Freyja looks with disgust at the captured men and uses the clothes of one of the dead to wipe the blood from her foot long spear blade. "What are you doing up here? Where is the leader of the bandits?" She pauses spinning her spear, towering over the injured man, resting a boot on one of the dead on the ground.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne Thrainsdottir, Speaker of Spirits

Heltinne watched the man with a frown. Stepping closer, she let the shadow of her huge companion loom over the prisoner for effect. ”Who is this Javik, and where did he live? More importantly, have you crossed paths with Styr the Ugly? I pray you speak swiftly and truthfully - my friends have little patience for liars and thieves.”

Social - (1d20)[13] - tried to color the dialogue for Diplomacy (+7), but if Intimidate is more appropriate, only add 3.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 14 HP 9 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Weapon: MW longspear (+3, 1d8+3), Morningstar (+2, 1d8+2/3)
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / (2/3) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist
    SLA (alter self): 1/1, Ice armor: 1hr
    Key skills: Perception +6; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +7; Spellcraft +4; KS Religion +4; KS Geography +5; KS History +4
    Effect: Child of Winter (+2 Initiative/Reflex in winter, endure elements vs cold; no penalty on ice; 1/2 pen deep snow); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"And some information on this Dirty Olaf might also be quite useful," Bjorn added.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer

The nuk nods, his spiked hair bobbing in the cool air. "Then go to meet your fate, life-taker." The string thrums, the arrow almost whistling as it cuts through the space intervening to dive into the chest of the traitor.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20+4)[11] to hit for (1d8+1)[9] damage.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

The man looks around at his fallen comrades. "I don't know much 'bout no other bandits. Oh, you mean Styr the Ugly? Yeah I heard he's around. I ain't seen him but Dirty Olaf said we had to avoid the forest because he heard Styr the Ugly and his witch-woman Astrid the Mad were down that way and weren't friendly to no one. If they catch you they pop you in their fey cauldron and that's the end of you" the man winces, holding his badly bleeding wound, dark lifeblood oozing between his fingers. "We came from out west near Greymane's hall. Dirty Olaf - that's him over there" he points to the dead man with the broken neck "he had some bad blood with Javik Gilson, one of Jarl Greymane's freeholders. We tried to grab his cattle to even the score and teach him a lesson. He was on to us though. Him and his sons caught up to us right quick. But we beat them. Put both the lads down proper for a few weeks at least but Olaf couldn't leave it at that. He stuck Javik and let him bleed out right in front of them. Figured he'd end it once and for all with Javik, but all he did was curse our wyrd. We got away with the cattle alright but he led us here, straight into you lot."

The injured man doesn't have much more to say, and it's clear he's not going to make it far as he is. Besides, you have another captive bound already. Mørkedrømevandrer sends him swiftly on his way...

Signy curses at the news that the bandit Styr is apparently hiding out in the forest rather than here in the Trollfist Hills. "What shall we do next? He's not up here. We've got eight head of cattle and this last traitor to face the jarl's justice. Shall we make our way back to the Hall and head out to seek Styr in the forest tomorrow?"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That might be best," Bjorn agreed, "if we leave these cattle here, they will only end up in some other troll's gullet. And if we bring them back to Jarl Olaf and he then sends them to Jarl Greymane, this Jarl is in his debt. That can't hurt, should we ever need a favour."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne considered the man’s story, tapping her bottom lip in thought. ”Another option would be to see these cattle back to the rightful heirs, and ensure they survive. Word of our aid will serve the Jarl as well as returning without our prey.”

OOC - I might be missing something, but hopefully Javik’s sons are close.
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / (2/3) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist
    Key skills: Perception +6; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +7; Spellcraft +4; KS Religion +4; KS Geography +5; KS History +4
    Effect: ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

The massive giantess looks down with contempt at the dying (and then dead) man. And nods at the others, "I agree with you friend. We should return the last prisoner to the jarl for the God's justice and the cattle." She looks to the others. "The Jarl will be pleased and will strengthen ties between the clans. We can then journey to the forest to end this Styr the Ugly."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer

"It matters not to me where we lead the cattle. If you care, I can follow the spoor of the docile meat back to their death-home. It does not seem like it would be far out of our way, should you choose such." The warrior retrieves what arrows he can, and examines but turns up his nose at any arrows the scoundrels might have, preferring his own craft of that of the experts of the Jarl.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I suggest we take the option that takes the least amount of time," Bjorn suggested, "that way we can get back to our primary mission as quickly as possible, okay?"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne glanced back the way they came, then nodded to the cattle tracks. ”I would prefer to return to our Jarl with our charges task complete. I vote we return these cattle to Javik’s kin, then continue the hunt.”

OOC - She will help help look for tracks, and try to remember the area and where Javik’s homestead might be.
    Perception - (1d20+6)[22], Geography - (1d20+4)[8]

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, to Javin's kin it is," Bjorn said, "lead the way."
    The last was to Mørkedrømevandrer.
    "We'll have to be careful," he continued, "this is hardly the only band of thieves out here."
    He hoped that the cattle would be the more docile kind, otherwise they would face some tough days ahead.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Making sure that your remaining prisoner, Cnut, is securely bound you prepare to leave. The cattle are anxious at the smell of blood and battle as are your horses and they're happy to be led away. With the Trollfist Hills scouted now you make your way down a narrow trail of loose stones towards the nearby moors.

Muddy, heath-covered, and dotted with small bogs, the Moors run from the coast to the Forest of Woe far to the south, interrupted only by the Stonefist Hills, forested areas, and occasional barrow fields of the ancient Andøvan peoples. Only the barest hints of green have begun to spring up among the broken rocks and muddy hollows. The winds of a recent winter still blow across this flatland and chill through all but the heaviest cloaks, and the occasional bog pool still has a rime of fragile ice around its edges. A cold fog still clings to the moorland, periodically obscuring your sight across the exposed waste.

No trail marks your route through the moors, but travel is nevertheless pretty straightforward for the next few hours as Mørkedrømevandrer guides you. As you travel west you skirt north slightly to avoid the Barrow Lands where you recently proved your valour. Through the intermittent fog you spy the many barrow mounds rising to your left at some distance. From here you can even see the occasional form of ancient bronze-clad Andøvan sentinels still standing guard atop the mounds. It seems the recent activities of the witch Sibbe have left the undead restless and not yet willing to return to their rest.

Spoiler: Survival roll & info
    Show
    DDW survival (1d20+6)[20]

Do you want to investigate the Barrow Lands and the undead warriors again, or continue on your journey toward the west coast? Your various animals will be unhappy at approaching much closer to the undead.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let's leave those for now," Bjorn said, "I remember that the horses didn't like it last time we went there and I'm assuming the cattle will have the same reaction. We can always check on the way back if we have to."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

You press on through the moors, mindful of the presence of the undead legions nearby but nevertheless committed to your path. The spring day is bleak and cold, especially as the sun starts to set. Your horses, and the cattle, crunch their hooves through the half-frozen muddy ground. Ice cracks in the puddles as you finally find a place slightly less damp but no less miserable to make camp for the evening.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne eyes the dead as they passed, wondering still at the power of the oaths that kept them from the death’s final embrace ... and the slumber of the grave. When the group finally found a camp site, she helped set up stakes to keep the cattle from straying. Nodding to the lands around, she remarked, ”Two guards per shift may suffice. I prefer to greet the sun, so I shall sit the last watch, if none object. What think you of a fire? I have little need for one to fight the evening chill, but many feel more comfortable with a light in the darkness. ”

OOC - I’m thinking elves on one watch, Freyja & Signy, then Heltinne & Bjorn, for some split of martial and spellcasters, along with some special vision on each shift
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Not a bad idea," Bjorn said to Heltinne, "a fire can help and we definately need a guard out here. I don't think it would be a good idea to get ambushed like those idiots we got today."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

You settle in for a cold night on the bleak moors, taking some comfort from the campfire that you coax from some miraculously dryish reeds and broken sticks. The dusk brings with it a significant temperature drop and you are thankful for the fire to provide some respite. Further afield, puddles of brackish water are frozen over and frost rimes the tangled branches of dead trees where they protrude from the bog.

Your prisoner Cnut is quiet and sullen, no doubt thinking on his impending punishment for his crimes. With Mørkedrømevandrer on first watch everyone else prepares their bedding near enough to the warmth of the flames. Nearby the cattle are hobbled, too stupid to do anything more than try to much on the few stalks of marsh-grass that poke through the frozen ground in clumps here and there. Your horses are gathered close by too, miserable but at least somewhat trained to endure your instructions.

You are starting to settle but have not yet even had a chance to stow your weapons or armour when you hear a strange hiss followed by a heavy thud from the direction of the cattle as one of the beasts collapses to the frozen muck. One of the cattle lies stiff-legged on the ground, frost coating it as it looks like it has just been cut from inside a glacier. Through the darkness Dark Dreams Wanderer spies many small shapes flitting about in the midst of the herd of animals.

A dozen or so creatures, small impish beings looking like nothing so much as frozen panes of ice that have risen up from the cursed frigid puddles and formed into demons of ice!

Alerted by a whispered alarm from the Nûk, Heltinne is first to react...

Spoiler: rolls & info
    Show
    Sceadugengan check Will DC13 or shaken:
    DDW (1d20+1)[8]
    Freyja (1d20+1)[6]
    Heltinne (1d20+3)[19]
    Bjorn (1d20)[15]
    Signy (1d20+2)[20]

initiative
    DDW (1d20+2)[7]
    Freyja (1d20+1)[5]
    Heltinne (1d20+1)[18]
    Bjorn (1d20+6)[11]
    Signy (1d20+1)[14]
    ice imps (1d20+6)[17]

Spoiler: Map
    Show

W17 is your captive

=> Heltinne
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2020-03-27 at 05:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne froze at the whisper, eyes scanning the darkness. Upon seeing the ice imps, she gripped her spear and gave a low whistle to the group. ”Arise! We are under attack by sprites!”. With a quick gesture she called forth a blessing from the gods as she readied her spear for combat.

OOC - Still working, bu home time is even more family time than normal! Sorry about the delay! If necessary you can always not/skip to keep the game rolling.

Standing up, readying her spear and casting bless.

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / (1/3) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist
    Effect: bless (+1 att/save vs far; 10 rounds); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

The sprites seem largely unconcerned at Heltinne's attention and her prayer to the Northlander gods. Distracted as they are by the cattle most of them continue to scamper and flit about the beasts occasionally pausing to breathe blasts of frigid air across the poor animals, their cruel laughter sounding like the melting of winter snows.

However three of them do take exception to your presence. They flap their icy wings and rise into the air, fanning out above you. Their mischevious eyes twinkle as they cackle to each other, mostly in an unintelligible tongue but occasionally phrases more familiar to you "freeze them....make them all cold, yes!......put their warmth out....yes! do it now".

As they approach you feel the unmistakable presence of foul magic. A freezing chill condenses from the air about you the eldritch sorcery focusing in on your metallic possessions as they start to coat with frost and ice.

Show
    Will DC14 vs chill metal [All Fail except Heltinne]:
    Bjorn (1d20+1)[11]
    Freyja (1d20)[3] (incl. shaken)
    Heltinne (1d20+4)[24]
    Heltinne (1d20+4)[16]
    Heltinne (1d20+4)[22]
    DDW (1d20)[16] (incl. shaken)
    DDW (1d20)[13] (incl. shaken)
    Signy (1d20+3)[13]
    Cnut (1d20-5)[0] (incl. shaken)
    All saves include +1 for bless

Signy arcana/ spellcraft check to ID spell (1d20+5)[6] Fail
    => spell not identified but the effects start to manifest:
    All metallic items are uncomfortable this round. Next round you will take damage if metal items are worn or held (much less if the items are merely in your possession but not worn or held).
    Free action to drop a held items or move action to discard an item in your possession.
    Or you can seek a source of heat to offset the cold damage from worn/ held items.

Show

Everyone (except your captive, Cnut, is standing & fully equipped (you hadn't settled to sleep just yet)

The three sprites closing in on you are 15ft in the air (out of normal melee range unless you have reach)

=> Party

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Just his luck, Bjorn thought as he felt his armour chill. He wouldn't be able to get it off in time, so he decided that moving to towards the fire was the better option. His axe and shield would be unaffected and so would his bow. So until such time as those critter would come closer, he would shoot at them and try to get them down to size, or down-er to size.

Spoiler: OOC actions and rolls
    Show

free action: 5ft step to get next to the fire
    Move action to discard short sword.

standard action: shoot at one of the closer frost imps with my short bow.
    (1d20+3)[6]
    damage: [rol]1d6[/roll]

Last edited by farothel; 2020-04-11 at 04:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

Freyja looks at the strange ice sprites, "Accursed beasts from Hel. Little demons from the frost giants." She leaps forward darting to the right (U24) and thrusts at the nearest one with the long spear from some 20ft away, making sure to keep her distance even as she starts to see ice crystals forming on her armour.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Move to U24
    Attack (1d20+7)[18] dam (2d6+5)[12]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As waves of cold washed over she and her companions, Heltinne growled. Standing tall with spear in hand, she called upon the favor of Hel. I’ve suddenly creeped from her hand to spread across her body, forming an ornate crystalline armor. Slamming the butt of her spear into the ground, the oracle ahout s out in a loud voice, ”You dare?! You attack Heltinne Thrainsdottir, Champion of Freyja and Scion of Skaldi? I am the Child of a Winter, the Daughter of Storms, the Thrice-Blessed. These mortals serve my Lady’s pleasure and are already awaited in the Halls beyond the Bridge! Begone, least I roast your bones over a bonfire so large your spawn’s spawn will cringe from the heat!”.

OOC - I would love to call this warriors Diplomacy, but I’m guessing this falls under intimidation.
    Intimidate - (1d20+3)[9] (add +4 if Dip actually works)
    Calling Ice armor and trying to win via social combat

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / (1/3) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist
    Effect: bless (+1 att/save vs far; 9 rounds); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-06-05 at 10:20 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Mørkedrømevandrer

"What…," Mørkedrømevandrer said, before noticing the ice imps. He too realised that the fire might be the best place and went over to it as well, while trying to shoot one of the imps.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

OK, giving it a shot. I've kept the dialog as short as possible and I'll just have him shoot with his bow.

Move action: go to the fire.
    attack action: shoot bow: (1d20+1)[19] (incl. shaken)
    damage: (1d8)[1]

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Bjorn shoots at one of the ice-scamps but the creature easily flits away. Freya advances stabbing up at another of the sprites hitting the squawking and spitting thing for 7 damage.

Heltinne berates the things even as a fey ice armour forms around her body, but the creatures take no notice of her. Mørkedrømevandrer grabs his bow and dashes closer to the fire seeking a source of heat to limit the searing frost. He fires and hits an imp but the fell creature is unaffected by his arrow.

Signy curses as frost starts to form on her too. She scrabbles at her metallic weaponry seeking to cast them aside before they injure her. On the ground your captive Cnut thrashes about squealing as frost rimes him too, although it seems more panicked than actual pain as he has only a few buckles and clasps as metallic possessions.

The sprites flap about chaotically each taken with its own course of action. The injured one spies your horses tethered nearby and flits over to them heedless of Freyja's massive spear stabbing at it. Another turns back to the helpless cattle while a couple more pull away from the cattle their attention drawn by you.

One flaps around above Bjorn, cackling as another of its kind crackles into being from frosted puddles nearby. Another screeches and hurtles through the air at the giantess, scratching with it's icicle-like claws for 4 damage. Yet another detaches itself from the cattle and darts across toward Heltinne clawing at her but easily evaded by her. As your weapons and armour start to ice over most of you are able to step nearer to the heat of the campfire although Freyja takes 1 cold damage from the severe cold.

Seeing the limited effect that his bow had on the malicious imps, Mørkedrømevandrer drops his bow and draws forth Hægtesse raising the great sword up to meet any foul little foes that dare come near him.

Show
    Yep, they have some form of DR (wait, at level 1?! Did I mention not all encounters are scaled like in most modern adventures? Some nice old-school D&D 1e encounter building here).

Signy evil eye: ranged touch (1d20-1)[12] (incl. soft cover & bless) damage (1d6+1)[6] Miss

Y21 summons another at Y20

V25 Sprite charge Freyja claw (1d20+7)[18] damage (1d3+1)[4] Hit

W23 Sprite move & attack Heltinne claw (1d20+5)[12] damage (1d3+1)[3] Miss

Freyja gets an AoO vs V25, W25 and/ or W23
    Heltinne gets an AoO vs W23

chill metal vs Freyja (1d4)[1]
    (everyone else affected has all damage up to 6 countered by proximity to the fire)

Next round: DDW 5ft step, drop bow, draw Hægtesse. Readied attack.

Show

Any sprite with +10ft or more of elevation is out of normal melee range unless you have reach or are large.

=> Signy, Bjorn, Freya, Heltinne (any order)

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne sighed with exasperation, muttering ”So we do this the hard way ...” With her spear, the oracle lashed out twice at the sprite that attacked her.

OOC - Ah, I love it when my die rolls effectively negate any role play ...
    AOO - (1d20+4)[14], Damage - (1d8+3)[10], Attack - (1d20+4)[11], Damage - (1d8+3)[9]

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Effect: bless (+1 att/save vs far; 8 rounds); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-06-05 at 10:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn wanted to shout a battlecry, but thought better of it as it might attract more unwelcome attention. He dropped his bow and took his axe, waiting for one to come close enough to hit.
    "come here, you freaks," he grumbled.

Spoiler: OOC actions and rolls
    Show

ready action to take a swing at one who comes close. It's a MW axe, in case this is important
    attack: (1d20+6)[20]
    damage: (1d8+3)[10]
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-04-18 at 03:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Signy utters another string of arcane hexes, the curses of the cunning woman manifesting into a literal blast of energy that batters one of the little beasties for 4 damage.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Signy evil eye: ranged touch (1d20+3)[21] damage (1d6+1)[4]

=> Freyja

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

The intense cold makes her shiver before drops back a step spinning the lng spear before thrusting forward seek to skewer one of the little creatures.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Attack (1d20+7)[13] dam (2d6+5)[9]

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

As an ice sprite hurtles towards Freyja she stabs out at it hitting for 10 damage. Backing off, trying to keep it at bay with her spear the thing scratches and claws at her for 4 damage.

Another throws itself cackling at Bjorn and Mørkedrømevandrer. The Nuk, ready as he is with the ancient bronze sword Hægtesse held high, swings and strikes it for 13 damage. Bjorn sees an opportunity and quickly steps in striking for 5 more damage and the thing crumples to the ground with a sound like cracking ice.

Flitting about yet another maddening creature screeches and conjures a blast of energy zapping your cunning woman Signy for 5 damage.

The freezing cold of your armour grows in intensity, thankfully for most of you countered by the blaze of the campfire but Freyja still taking 2 damage from the searing cold.

A sprite looks gleefully over at the bound form of Cnut panicking and rolling about struggling to get to his feet. It swoops over trying to grab the man and carry him off. As the small thing grapples and overcomes the much larger man Mørkedrømevandrer steps in swinging "Stay down, coward" he snaps at Cnut as he strikes the imp for 14 damage.

Signy retreats a few steps pain evident on her face. She continues to utter her strange magical curses but the creatures flap about evading her. The remaining creatures continue to flap around your cattle and horses, more snapping of ice heard as a couple more creatures are summoned from the ice nearby.

Show
    Moving Heltinne back 5ft since she's attacking with a reach weapon (& => can't attack adjacent)

Moving Freyja back 10ft since she's attacking with a large-sized reach weapon (& => can't attack within 10ft). Also this gets her next to the fire, so limits the cold damage incurred. But incurs an AoO.

Freyja AoO from last round (1d20+7)[23] dam (2d6+5)[15]

AoO vs Freyja claw (1d20+5)[20] damage(1d3+1)[4]

chill metal damage (campfire counters up to 6 cold damage)
    DDW (2d4-6)[-2]
    Bjorn (2d4-6)[-1]
    Freyja (2d4-6)[2]

DDW readied (1d20+6)[19] damage (2d6+6)[13]

magic missile vs Signy (1d4+1)[5]

Sprite (1d20+3)[15] grapple vs Cnut CMD9

Z23 & Y25 summon more sprites at AA23 & Z24

DDW (1d20+6)[24] damage (2d6+6)[14]

Signy evil eye: ranged touch (1d20+3)[12] damage (1d6+1)[7]

Show

Any sprite with +10ft or more of elevation is out of normal melee range unless you have reach or are large.

=> Party (Bjorn, Heltinne, Freyja - any order)