Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Darkest Heresy IC

Spoiler: Terris Avenir
    Show

The whispers of the warp came to you in advance of the man himself. It is fated, the voices informed, your House shall arise once more, and you shall rise with it!

The man, when he came, was a slight figure, prim and proper, dressed in muted greys adorned with the eagle-in-flight-slash-starburst of House Avenir.

Master Terris, the small man spoke, I have been asked to bring you this letter, along with such funds as you will need to reach your family home world of Vesper.

When your hand seized upon the parchment - purest vellum, rare in these times - you saw for a moment, in your minds eye, the vast orbital mansion, resplendent, radiant in the light of the nearby sun, ships large and small coming and going.

Spoiler: Rufus Avenir
    Show

'Tis for you, the urchin said, holding out a dataslate that had clearly seen better days. At your questioning look, he added: Guy was dead when I founds 'im, guv. Only I saw yer name, and thought it'd be only proper I brings it.

Looking over the slate, you found a letter - and a list of people, each paying the next to venture deeper into the underhive to reach you. Each paying the next an ever smaller portion of the initial sum to deliver the letter to you. The last had died for the measly sum of 50 thrones. Well, and so be it.

The letter contained instructions on how to reach the first courier, who had known better than to go here himself, and who apparently had thrones to pay for your fare to some distant orbital station, that belonged to your family. Well, and so? The place was likely ripe for plunder, right?

Spoiler: Alric Avenir
    Show

'Colonel wants to see ya'. That's what Sarge had said, so that's where you went.

Entering the old wardogs quarters, you saw another man present as well - richly dressed, in military garb, but not imperial guard. Rather some noble house's livery, and it was a few seconds before you realized those were Avenir colors, and that was the Avenir crest on his chest. A sunburst that at the same time brought to mind an eagle in flight.

This guy says he's kin of yours. Says he has papers for your release, and some sort of letter. The old man was clearly displeased at having someone else give the orders.

The liveried retainer presented an official looking dataslate letter. Here, you will find information about your inheritance. I've been instructed to pay for your fare back to Vesper, and your home.

The slate does indeed contain a letter, describing how you are needed back home, and stand to inherit the family orbital mansion. It also contains a release from service, signed by the planetary governor no less.

Spoiler: Kadis Zurtan-Avenir
    Show

If all one requires from life is an undisturbed workshop and a certain distance from prying eyes, perhaps the frontier isn't the worst - even if spare parts and supplies are hard to come by.

Kadis was clearing the remains of her latest promising - but ultimately futile - experiment, when a small techno-arcane spider wandered in, chattering a binary warning: A man approached, a stranger in unusual garb.

Kadis took her precautions, but was surprised to discover, through auspex and pict recorders, that the intruder wore the House Avenir colors and insignia. Having not seen those in years, she went to meet the man - no less wary, but curious. He was a thuggish creature, wide and low browed, propably handy at violence - and propably selected for those qualities, having been sent to the inhospitable and dangerous frontier.

Lady Kadis, he began, his voice a growl, I's asked to bring ya dis. Seeming to have run out of words, he handed over a dataslate, the contents of which Kadis instantly downloaded and analyzed. The data was stamped less than three weeks ago, and bore codes of purity and authenticity. This was indeed a missive from the head of her ailing house, offering inheritance in return for assistance.

It seemed a somewhat dubious proposition, but Kadis was keenly aware that Vesper was a vital trade hub, far from inspection by the Cult Mechanicus, and that an orbital mansion would be a much improved lair for a techpriest of ... keen if frowned upon interests.

Spoiler: Matt E. Black
    Show

The word travelled from tribe to tribe, by the various methods of the forge. The Wrench Mongers communicated by the exhaust of their huge promethium furnaces, the Laymen of Wright pounded rythms on endless pipes. Through binary chatter, and pulses of light, and the pumping of pistons, the message reached ever down into the forge, until it reached Matt:

Go to the communicatorium - there awaits you a messenger.

Going as summoned - but not before breaking a few cogs on a nearby altar of the omnissiah - Matt went to meet this strange messenger. He'd never received communications from any outsider before, so he went slightly puzzled.

The communicatorium was a huge, cathedral-like space. Auto-quills murmered in the background always, thousands of them, churning out fax or disgorging slates - but there was also a small space for personal meetings. At a table there waited a young man, wearing a House Avenir crest - same as Matt recognized from the wall of the munitions foundry.

You are Matt E. Black, no? You have toiled here, in the darkness below, loyally and well, for long - but now the time has come for you to serve our Noble House in another capacity. You will go to Vesper, where scions of the House need one such as you. Travel and expenses paid, and there will be some commission as well.

Matt, who had not seen anyone actually of the House Avenir in ages, was baffled, but curious to see where this might lead.

After some weeks of travel, you reach the rimworld of Vesper. A trade hub of sorts, it deals largely in items that are hard to acquire anywhere else - either rare, restricted .. or forbidden. It is also the ancient head quarters of House Avenir.

Once a proud house, it has a motley history. It sent regiments in support of Saint Drusus, and it stood shoulder to shoulder with the young and emerging Marius Hax, centuries past.

But it has also been a rumored den of deviants - tech heresies and xeno's dealings. And so, over the passing decades and centuries, it's fortunes have changed, and it has plunged from on high - into nigh obscurity. Frankly none of you had any hopes or expectations of ever hearing from the House again.

Arriving at the Vesper City space port, you are greeted by House servants, and ushered off to a planetside installation by ground car. It's luxurious enough, to be sure, but it doesn't inspire much hope of grand rewards: The deep carpets somewhat threadbare, the gild faded, the building in need of maintainance.

In this house you are met by a young fop, who presents himself as Hespian Avenir - your distant cousin. He has soft hands, and bright and friendly blue eyes that inform you that he has never known anything of the horrors of the galaxy, but has been sheltered here in relative comfort all his life.

You are treated to tea and biscuits, while he fusses about the upholstry, and informs you: So it seems the old man summoned all of you in some sort of ... crazy attempt to restore the old mansion, eh? Well, he asked me first of course, but frankly, it's a fools errand. He's up there, you know? Lost somewhere within the domain of madness he wrought.

I'm not going up there. And I suggest you do not, either.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

And so it begins. question cousin Hespian as you please - the shuttle departs when you're ready =)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Darkest Heresy IC

This is all so new! So strange! So... downtrodden!

Matt collects himself as best he can from his space flight before meeting with Hespian. He listens attentively to the disrespectful words of the young man with distaste. Surely this for was nothing more than some upstart who thinks he knows what's best for himself.

"Young Lord Avenir, what reason brought me here? What work is there for me?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The foppish youth looks at Matt if only now realizing he has a voice - then seems to search his memory, or perhaps praying to the galaxy at large to sense and reason to re-assert itself.

You are one of the menial drudges, am I not correct? I believe the invite was sent to you in part because we hoped ... he looks down at a dataslate to confirm, .. that Kadis would come, and we imagined she'd appreciate having an assistant to hand.

He pauses, feeling perhaps that this explanation is somewhat lame, or possible dissatisfying even for a 'menial drudge'. He then adds: I'm assured the pay is excellent, and there will be a commission based on results achieved. Or some such, I've no head for figures myself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Terris
    I have come a long way. I have no intention of leaving without hearing what the old man has to say.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadis looks around the room at her assorted family members, and the one labourer, dressed in well used but decent condition House Avenir uniform and then stares at cousin Hespian, trying to remember the only time her mother ever brought her to Vesper, before she joined the Cult.
    A vague memory of a babe in swaddling born to an imbicile and a rent girl flickers in her mind. If she still had lips, a wry grin would have formed.

"Ah, Hespian! It has been a long time. Last I saw you, you were still at infant. It appears you have grown up to have your mothers looks, and your fathers intellicual accumen. They must be so proud!"

Looking once again to the others she nods her head and gives the sign of the Omnissiah, "It is a pleasure to meet you all, Cousins. I am Electo-Priest Kadis Zurtan-Avenir."
    And to Matt she asks, "And what is your name Bondsman?"
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2018-07-10 at 01:01 AM.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I am Lathesmaster Matt E. Black, Sings the Machines, of the Avenir Private Munitorium, Tribe of Mass Conveyance. Chief of Forge Torque sends his regards." The tribal technician bows his steel head briefly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"It is a pleasure to meet you as well Lathesmaster Matt. I look forward to conversing with you about the condition and profromance optimisation of the Munitorium." Kadis says, returns the bow, hands once again clenched in the sign of the Omnissiah.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why would I go back? Every day here is a day away from the front lines. This is the first break I've had in a year!"
    He stands for a second unsure what to do with all this bowing. He then offers his hand to the electropriest. He heard that you would get shocked if you shook their hand and wanted to experience it firsthand.
    "Ah yes introductions. Sir Alric of House Avenir. Freeman and member of the Guard. Pleasure to meet you all. When are we leaving? I am eager to see the mansion,"
    Last edited by Xenopax; 2018-07-10 at 04:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

On the journey Rufus had been keeping himself a little apart from the others. If nothing else, he wanted to know how the family that his grandfather had chosen to exile himself from seemed able to track him down with apparent ease. And if they knew where he was they probably knew about his employers. It seemed alot of effort to go to if someone wanted to arrest him, but it was always better to assume the worst.

The dilapidation of this place reminded him of home. Perhaps his branch of the family wasn't so different after all. He will acknowledge the other's greeting, 'Rufus. Apparently I'm related to most of you, which is news to me.'

To the fop, 'So, when was the last time anyone else went up there?' If it was dangerous best to hear about it now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    "Ah, Hespian! It has been a long time. Last I saw you, you were still at infant. It appears you have grown up to have your mothers looks, and your fathers intellicual accumen. They must be so proud!"
    I'm actually much older than I look, but it's possible you confuse me with my cousin, Haspius. He was in the cradle about the time you may have visited - unfortunate fellow, he was the illegitimate offspring of my intellectually challenged uncle Flavius and a concubine of no consequence. Poor child. He seems to honestly lament the fate of poor Haspius. Whether he's just pulling your leg is hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'So, when was the last time anyone else went up there?'
    Months ago. Frankly, this has been going on awhile. I cannot even swear to you that the old man is still alive up there - his communications are highly erratic, infrequent, and increasingly desperate.

Many have gone, though. Some hopeful family members, like yourselves. Groups of expensive mercenaries. There was a team of ... some sort of Imperial goons too big for their own pants, demanding this and that and the other thing.

There is a pattern to be aware of: None come back. No one who has gone up the well these last few years have come back down. So if you're here for easy plunder, you may want to rethink. Although I do admit - the plunder is there. Just not easily grabbed.

If you wish to risk it, a shuttle is fuelled and ready. You need to enter through the service bay, though. One of the groups of madmen my dear uncle hired to fight off another group decided their best bet was to detonate the landing bay for the Grand Hall, so there's no way to enter that way.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Rufus didn't like the sound of that. Presumably they weren't all going up there to steal things before leaving without telling anyone.

'If it's that dangerous what do you have in the way of extra gear? I don't want to be weighed down too much, but it's better to have it and not need it. At the least, we'll need suits. Unless we can tell the place is properly secured to the void, there might be parts of it that will kill us quickly.' Rufus reflexively makes the sign of the acquila at the thought.

They'd spent all that money getting them here. Maybe they'd go abit further to give them more of chance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The shuttle holds a standard complement of basic infantry gear - all the usual void suits, stubbers and las weaponry, a few grenades, and so on. Grenades, I might point out, are their own risk aboard any space vessel. I think there are some boarding spears too, should you require them.

As I said, this isn't my strength or interest, so I'm fairly little help here.

Spoiler: Gear
    Show

The shuttle holds as many void suits, basic las and stub rifles, pistols (stub only) as you may realistically need. Also a single crate of 6 frag grenades, and 6 smoke grenades. It also holds two boarding pikes. Perhaps interestingly, in addition to the usual ammo for such, there are also three krak warheads to mount on them - for spectacularly higher penetration, but with added risk of causing an unintended breach, obviously.

There is also standard flak armor which I'm certain none of you need.

Speaking of which, the flak in my books has 4 points of armor for the very best (Guard's Flak), and it seems everyone has much better - leading me to think we're using different sources, or you added Toughness bonus to it. We might want to clear this up, since it's otherwise a bit harder for me to guage proper difficulty =)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I will go see to the offered supplies " And just like that, he walks off to the shuttle.

From the crate he picks up 2 frag grenades and 2 smoke grenades. He loads his pockets to the tune of 4 clips of stub ammunition. He disregards the void suits entirely.

So equipped, Matt finds a seat and installs himself in it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

As Matt walks off, the fading voice of Haspian intones that if you're not too eager to set off and get yourselves voided, burned to cinders or transformed into meat puppets in my uncle's House of Horrors, there's a very decent four course meal in a couple of hours ....

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Alric thanks hespian and goes off to grab the supplies. He takes 2 of each type of grenade, a boarding lance and a krak warhead. He also grabs a las gun and a stub gun. After taking a look at the void suits, he decides to grab one of those too. He shoves it in his bag and moves on. This should be enough armaments but he was still nervous. If cousin Hespian was telling the truth, there could be warp taint in there. Psykers or even daemons. He hoped to the emperor he was wrong.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The shuttle - not mincing any words - was an incredibly decrepit pile of excrement. To say it had seen better days would be an open insult to better days. Better days would not have given this space vessel the time of day.

In the background, you could just pick out Hespians voice, explaining that since no one really expects you to make it back from this, we've tightened the budget on the shuttle slightly - no worries, it's entirely spaceworthy, and frankly a bit of a steal. It'll take you there and back, have no fear at all, cousins!

Lighting was flickery, plating was missing (emprah be thanked the outer plating was intact), seats were cut up, the safety rigging was patchy, and there was a smell as if it's last assingment had been transporting incontinent grox into orbit.

One thing that seemed to be in working order was the cogitator autopilot, which should be able to climb to orbit and dock in relative safety, if no one else had the skills to fly it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Matt looks up from his safety straps to watch Alric enter. "No interest in the large meal being offered? With the condition of this craft I don't blame you." He turns back to adjusting the straps, "Are you of the House or a vassal as I am?"
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2018-07-10 at 12:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

To Hespian, 'Grenades that might explode on you if someone gets a lucky shot you mean. I can see how that might be a problem.' He will grin at the man's implication that they were all heading to a horrible death. 'I could eat. Unless you're willing to give it to me to eat on the way up.'

To everyone, 'but as long as we talk a little about what we might be getting into, I don't suppose it matters.' If you were in some sense breaking into a house you should do your research.

To Hespian, 'Are there plans of what the place looked like when it was originally built. Even if it's way out of date it might help. And I take it the shuttle is hanging around while we're up there. Does it still have a vox?'

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Terris picks out a suitably fitting set of flak armor, doffing his chain.
    He also grabs a void suit, it would not do to face black without suitable protection.
    I could use some food, and a chat before we go. He does not speak joyously, nor sadly.

As this appears more hazardous than I was initially expecting, I would like to know more about the rest of your skills.

He takes off his hat revealing his Sanctioned Psyker Tatoo on his forehead.

So there are no surprises later, I am one of the Emperor's Chosen. I am familiar with your standard laz pistol, but am more proficient with the blade. I am happy to be at the fore.
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2018-07-10 at 07:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Matt looks up from his safety straps to watch Alric enter. "No interest in the large meal being offered? With the condition of this craft I don't blame you." He turns back to adjusting the straps, "Are you of the House or a vassal as I am?"
    "I doubt the machine spirit of this vessel would be pleased if I empty my lunch upon it. I don't do good with this kind of travel." He scratches his beard. "I'm of the house. No clue what my actual relation is. Death world and all that,"

Quote Originally Posted by Novabomb View Post
    Terris picks out a suitably fitting set of flak armor, doffing his chain.
    He also grabs a void suit, it would not do to face black without suitable protection.
    I could use some food, and a chat before we go. He does not speak joyously, nor sadly.

As this appears more hazardous than I was initially expecting, I would like to know more about the rest of your skills.

He takes off his hat revealing his Sanctioned Psyker Tatoo on his forehead.

So there are no surprises later, I am one of the Emperor's Chosen. I am familiar with your standard laz pistol, but am more proficient with the blade. I am happy to be at the fore.
    Alrics hand goes onto his sword. Psyker. Warp taint. He had to remind himself that this one was sanctioned and was nothing like the ones the enemy used on the battle field so that he didn't strike at him. He tries to mask his hate as he says "I see that we have warp touched in our family," He bristles at him calling himself the chosen of the Emperor. That was like a Mutant calling himself the Lord of the Sector. Both were fit to be purged. The only ones that Alric had much patience for were the ones in his regiment and Astropaths. Everyone knew that being a Psyker was a sin and he was damned. The true chosen of the emperor were obviously normal baseline humans.
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Matt steps forward and places himself between his betters. "Would one of you hand me a pair of stummers if you find them? If I am to be the only menial on this quest, I feel I must better outfit myself." Funny enough for a man so subservient, he sure did end up directly between the Family men perfectly. "I am a technician. My tribe ran the conveyors. We protected them with our flesh, our blood, and our steel." with that he lightly pounds the head of the large hammer in his hand on the flooring of the shuttle. It's plainly obvious to see that his work of guarding the conveyors did, in fact, cost him all but his steel. Steel is what makes this man.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'I could eat. Unless you're willing to give it to me to eat on the way up.'

To Hespian, 'Are there plans of what the place looked like when it was originally built. Even if it's way out of date it might help. And I take it the shuttle is hanging around while we're up there. Does it still have a vox?'
    I'm sure I can have a servant pack you a bit of lunch, certainly, replies Hespian, as regards maps, I'm afraid the problem is there are too many. The mansion has been rebuilt, expanded, reconstructed, expanded again, so many times over the centuries. There are several maps, and I'll gladly have them transmitted to your techpriest, but I am unsure what good they'll do you.

However, the original design has to still be in there somewhere, right? Originally, the mansion was a large cross shape built around a central torus. The various expansions have built on top of that, but the original four grand galleries really should still be there, under all the rest.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Somehow still smirking, Kadis gets the idea that Hespian is trying to deflect the shame onto someone else.

"I'd happily take a look at any maps and try to analize the layout of the mansion. As for sustanace, it would be appriciated, it had been a long trip."

Walking over to the shuttle she looks it over, sighing with a very noticable hint of sadness and sympothy, placing her hand on it, "You poor thing. How could anyone let you fall into such a condition. It's bordering on Heresy."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Rufus had no problem with psykers. Some of them could be useful if you were careful. 'I'm glad you're on our side. Personally I can shoot people when neccessary and do a few other things which may or may not come up.'

Noticing the Guardsman's tenseness, 'None of that. By the sound of things if we're going up there together we might want to try getting along first.' His hands are out but he is quite confident that he draw on the man if he really had to.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Terris
    I also have some experience operating one of these (Gesturing at the shuttle)
    from my time as a quartermaster on the Occum's Razor

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm afraid i dont know much about piloting one of these things. I was infantry not mechanized.
    Games that I am in

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Terris grabs the pilot's seat while everyone else straps themselves in. The course plotted into the autopilot looks safe enough, but suboptimal - using more fuel than necessary, meaning the risk of an unsafe return trip.

Kadis for her part noticed that most of the damage to the shuttle was in fact superficial - it was poorly maintained, but basically sound. Cleaning would to a long way towards restoring it. Which in itself was slightly puzzling, since according to Hespian at least, it had been very cheap.

A servant brings a fancy silver lunchbox for each of you, and with that, you're all set to go. Plasma engines roar, and you're tossed into the sky merrily perched atop a pillar of atomic flame. The ascent is fairly brief, the few hundred clicks to stationary orbit going by quickly when one travels at escape velocity. Soon, you're coasting, on approach to the station.

It's a grand old mess, you realise when you drift into visual range. Huge and gothic, towers and arches and tall stained glass windows, gargoyles hiding defensive batteries. Going by whether things are lighted or not, you half suspect parts of the station are without power. Matt is pretty sure he saw a body in orbit around the mansion.

Show

I'd like a piloting roll from Terris, and Tech-Use and Logic from Kadis.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

The floating corpse in orbit around the station immediately brought Matt to task. He knew how to support tech-priests, and he knew that this was a good time to act on that. So he took his gaze from the weightless grounds of the station and focused on the mechanisms of this Machine.

Spoiler: He moans a gutteral song from deep within his systems.
    Show

Assisting Kadis' Tech-Use test.
    (1d100)[75]
    Tech-Use = 57

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Before boarding the shuttle Rufus will put on a suit of the flak armour and will take a few extra items of equipment. Perhaps he could sell them on later if he still had them. After wrapping his arm in the safety rigging to stabilise himself, he will also make a point of eating whatever food they had been given on the ride up.

As they get closer to the mansion he will find a window to watch it as they approach.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Awareness for the hell of it
    vs. Per 30 (Awareness +10)
    (1d100)[54]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Under the gentle guidance of pilot Kadis and co-pilot Matt, the shuttle makes an entirely safe - but average and unimpressive - docking at bay 1. There are five service bays in total, with little to distinguish amonst them except bay 4, which has the docking guide lights off, perhaps signalling a malfunction.

The shuttle locks into place with a satisfying clonk, a hiss and the airlock indicator light switching from red to green. Opening the door, you see beyond a short corridor crowded with boxes and crates in various stages of decay. It is designed for cargo servitors to busy themselves in, but too densely packed for such a bulky piece of equipment to navigate it.

There are tarpaulins hung between some of the boxes, indicating that some of these are use for ... 'residence'.

At the end of the corridor a bulkhead hatchway stands half open - and from beyond you hear an infernal racket, as if someone was in the process of stripping the bay of it's innards. There is some shouting, which you cannot discern over the noise.

Show

Rolls if you like - to pick out what's being shouted, or something of the like. Various options are open, but I'm not telling you in advance :p