New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Odd thing for a magicker to do?

So, I've been thinking about this whole "Mages get penalized for armor" bullcrap, and then started thinking....could you Telekenisis some armor to float several inches off your your clothing, then Permenancy it to get effective armor?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Odd thing for a magicker to do?

The idea is that it interferes with the movements the mage needs to do in order to cast the spell.

You could actually select only spells that do not require somatic components and wear as much armor as you please without any penalty whatsoever.
    Last edited by Crow; 2007-09-10 at 03:07 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    So, I've been thinking about this whole "Mages get penalized for armor" bullcrap, and then started thinking....could you Telekenisis some armor to float several inches off your your clothing, then Permenancy it to get effective armor?
    Well, how it actually be different from wearing armor? It will be ever more nasty, I can say. I was wearing breasplate once, made for guy much bigger than me. Front side was at least few inches away from my chest. It was really cumbersome, when properly sized armor would be quite OK.

And from gaming point of view - by SRD you cannot made telekinezis permanent.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2007-09-10 at 03:19 PM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    And from gaming point of view - by SRD you cannot made telekinezis permanent.
    Oh, well....thats the crux of this discussion....so....conversation over.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If your DM lets you permanency one of the various force armors that would work without ASF.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-09-10 at 05:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Zombie

mythril (material DMG) twilight (+1 bonus equivilent BOED or PHB2) and feycraft or githcraft (template DMG2) breastplate... or remove twilight and make it a chain shirt (and you will get the same total armor bonus)

of course you still need proficiency, but thats just one feat. or theres a level of spellsword for even further reduced arcane spell failure. but still great for mystic theurges or arcane tricksters (or other multiclass wizard classes)
    Last edited by tannish2; 2007-09-10 at 04:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Armor sounds rather silly.

Now, doing that with a tower shield and using it for cover? More feasible.

But, think on this: A permanencied effect is on _all the time_. You sleeping? You're sleeping with a tower shield floating next to you. Try not to turn in your sleep too much.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So, I've been thinking about this whole "Mages get penalized for armor" bullcrap, and then started thinking....
    Going out on a limb here, but you can simply houserule it away. D&D is, to my knowledge, the only game where arcane casters aren't allowed to wear reinforced clothing. At low levels, giving casters a decent AC won't upset game balance all that much, given their utter lack of hit points. At high levels, casters won't care what their AC is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tannish2 View Post
    mythril (material DMG) twilight (+1 bonus equivilent BOED or PHB2) and feycraft or githcraft (template DMG2) breastplate... or remove twilight and make it a chain shirt (and you will get the same total armor bonus)

of course you still need proficiency, but thats just one feat. or theres a level of spellsword for even further reduced arcane spell failure. but still great for mystic theurges or arcane tricksters (or other multiclass wizard classes)
    Why take a profeciency feat for Mithril Twilight Chain Shirt? It has a ACP of 0?