New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods IC

The world is an endless desert of wandering dead. Life is harsh, and death, seemingly, can be even harder. But not you. You, the day prior, were one of many acolytes, studying and training day and night to prepare yourself. This morning, with your crop-mates, were pronounced ready for the Trials of the Gods by your humble Vizier, who stands to train, prepare, and ultimately test crops for that which all seek: Glory eternal, and life everylasting standing under the banner of the God Pharaoh, may His return be swift, and may we be found worthy! You are now an initiate, and your first trial begins within hours.

To those who succeed, your name will be handed down for eternity, as a legend, a myth, and a hero. Tales of your success will fill the heads of generations to come, and to become your equal will be all they can strive for. For those who don't, your sacrifice will not be in vane, as you too will help to build the foundation of future initiates and acolytes, as one of the many anointed. When the time comes and the true God above all gods comes forward, you too will have found your place in the afterlife.

But here you are, another day under the neverending heat of the two imposing suns. The second isn't visible, but it can still be felt, blistering down, never providing a true night as its immense glow keeps back anything close to darkness. You, who have trained since you could walk, never knowing where you came from, who birthed you, raised by mummies-made-servants. Perhaps in your early years, you had great dreams that your parents, whoever they may be, had already passed the trials, and you would strive to join them in glory. You, who under the guidance of the Viziers and even the Gods who walk amongst you, have brought yourself to a point of true perfection, physically and mentally. Your greatest traits and abilities have been honed like a blade against stone, until you have become a living weapon, all for a single purpose.

The Trials.

The trials that you have heard endless stories about. The trials that you could only dream about what challenges they held. The trials that were the only thing that stood between you and an afterlife eternal amongst the Gods and all others who proved themselves worthy. You have been tested, tried, tested again, and prepared in every way possible, all leading up to this day where your true story begins.

Yesterday, you were acolytes. But today...

You have gathered in a courtyard of shimmering stone, warm under your feet (... or tail). In the slight distance, you see the many monuments, obelisks, all raised in the name of the Gods and their glory. Standing before you are the many Viziers of Naktamun, each with their own role: some preparing would-be initiates, some overseeing the trials themselves, while others have somewhat obscure rolls that you might not have ever fully understood. Bearing witness to this occasion is even the Gods, standing like towers above the heads of all else, their golden light shining from them always seemingly an immediate moral and motivation booster.

Grand Vizier Temmet, seemingly the head of the great city of Naktamun, overseer of all that happens within the boundaries of the Hekma, stands atop a pedestal, looking down at you. You, who are one amongst dozens. He speaks.

... Yesterday, you were acolytes. But today, raise your heads high! You are now Initiates, found worthy by us, the Viziers, and chosen by they, the Great Golden Gods, to stand and attempt the Trials of the Gods!

A roar of screams, shouts, hollering to the skies as excitement fills the very sinew of your body, as it does all those around you. Adrenaline fuels every sound of the crowd.

As I am certain all are excited to be placed, each of you will now be sorted based on your talents and gifts into a Crop. Your Crop is your new family. You will work together, learn together, and fight together, or you will fail together. Know this: once you step into your first trial, it is only the Crop you can rely on. Trust one another, because each other is all you will have.

The solemn words fall on near deaf ears as more and more, people grow antsy, waiting to charge full speed into the first Trial.

You. You have been called. Your name, distinct from all others, called to join the ranks of your new Crop. Teth. That is your designation. Welcome, brothers and sisters of Teth Crop. Morning comes soon, far far too soon and yet still too far away, but at sunrise you are to meet with your Crop-mates at the giant stone doors of the monument built for the Goddess Oketra. Inside, the Trial of Solidarity begins, and you can finally begin to prove yourself!

(Take this time to describe your character, meet your Crop-mates, and boast your strengths, because through Solidarity alone will you manage to succeed. The Gods smile upon you, Initiates, and welcome you to the last and greatest things you will ever do.)
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2022-05-25 at 03:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

A short man steps forward, holding a large walking stick. He has very short black hair, nearly stubble, and wears a brown leather outfit with several pockets and a bandoleer over it that contains several pouches and containers.

I am Senet. I am not skilled in combat, but I can improve others in strength, size, and sometimes mobility. I can also inhibit enemies significantly.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-05-24 at 11:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Know I am Djem, battle priest of Oketra! Wherever we go, I will go first!"
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Perhaps, Djem, battle priest of Oketra. Perhaps. We shall see what the trials call for. the naga slithering closer ripostes as she straightens up to her full height, the shadow of a haughty smile playing in the corner of her mouth, spreading small wrinkles on the dry, fallow skin of her cheek, tough and coarse as the shell of a snake's egg. You can call me Ashait. Ashait of Three-Skins. she adds, raising her large, heavy round shield before her well-armoured chest and hooking her free thumb into the wide beltaround her hips, not far above where mail and scales the colour of burnt umber meet. One is hide; two are steel.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A human with sword and shield joins the growing number of people.

I, Isidor greet you. May our enemies be split in twain and shatter against our steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The next human male to step forward had greasy and unkempt black hair and hazel eyes in an unfocused gaze. He was tall and gawky but flashed an eager grin regardless at the members of his new Crop.

At least the chain shirt he wore and the guisarme he wielded (not to mention the flail that hung on his belt) were kept in better condition than the young man treated himself.

"Abraxas. I am Abraxas. I fight! When do we fight?" His head bobbed at a frantic pace.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A crested Aven steps forward, his plumage bone white in the center, spreading to grey as it radiates from his chest before the feathers end in long black tips. A long crest juts from his head, and his beak extends from his face in a blunt arc. Everything about him seems elongated, approaching delicate, and though he is thinly muscled, he moves with wiry spryness. His cloak billows unnaturally, despite the still air. A barely perceptible presence materializes at his side, a small vortex displacing the air next to him. A friendly, almost paternal disposition radiates from him toward the human-shaped whirlwind. He feathers ruffle in the breeze as he advances to speak.

"I am Aesi," he intones, his voice crackling with invisible thunder, though it carries the melody of birdsong. "I am a scholar and spirit-speaker. I command the storm and commune with the hungry ghosts of the skies. Glory to Teth Crop. We shall honor the Viziers, the Gods, and Pharaoh God, swift be his return." He scans the horizon haughtily, as though searching for challengers.
    Last edited by Postmodernist; 2022-05-25 at 10:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods IC

It takes a moment, but from slightly behind Djem you can see another Khenra. Leaner in muscle but still athletic he glances you over and gives a quiet chuff.

"Sothos. I complement my sister as the quiet warrior. She gathers attention, I make an opening," comes the smooth statement.

Compared to his sister he stands lightly armored with a blade slung across the small of his back and a few pouches scattered across his garb.
    Last edited by Rekmond; 2022-05-26 at 04:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Bare footed and shirtless, a man armed with a beautifully carved bow addresses the Crop.

"I am Aloysius, master of the failings of flesh and I have studied ten thousand deaths." He turns in place, allowing each person a proper view of his body, pockmarked with well over ten thousand scars of every types the mind could image; burns, slashes, abrasions, imprints of fangs or claws, splotches that may be the healed remnants of a deep welt... "As fellows of my Crop it would be a humiliation to me if I must learn from yours as well; please try to keep up."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

A slight popping sound is heard as a dark clad human appears out of nowhere. A rough black furred shirt adorns the man that appears to fade to mist at his waist, patches of the garment seemingly turning transparent as parts phase in and out of existence at different times revealing a darkened chainshirt beneath. Taking a huge bite out of an apple you notice a faint turquoise energy plays across the back of his hands. His youthful voice belies his rugged looks as he speaks around a mouthful of apple. "Sefu, Scout."
    Last edited by arkangel111; 2022-05-26 at 08:55 AM.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Once all the greetings are made, a stump of a man, clad in blue and golden robes, approaches. He addresses you.

Teth? Yes. Well. Follow me, we wish you to be prepared for your first trial. Solidarity is no meager task, although many Crops come out the other side intact. But you never know, things do happen.

He seems to be a bit bumbling, and fumbling with a scroll, struggling to get it to unwind, then again to roll it back up.

I am Radj, not that my name really matters here. Just another day for a simple Vizier with minimal responsibilities. Your Crop does seem rather diverse, I hope that bodes well for you. Ah, here, yes.

He gestures to the monument in the distance. A great stone temple, with a cat-like face adorning the front. (Much to the likeness of like the Great Sphynx.)

Here we are. The Monument of Oketra, our beautiful Goddess in White. When the first sun rises in the following morning, this stone door will open. You will enter. Do not be late!

With that, he takes his bow, pays his silent lip services, and makes his way back the path he brought you.

(If you have any questions of him, now would be the time.)
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2022-05-28 at 01:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Taking a large bite out his apple, juice running down his chin he gesture's to the man. "Advice?" he says while picking at his teeth with his other hand.
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Djem bows to her Patron goddess. She knows everything the vizier is allowed to tell. She fingers the spot where her first cartouche will be in two days time!)
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Aesi suppresses the urge to preen himself, and instead quirks an eyebrow. "Radj, you do yourself disservice. You are surely no simple Vizier, for none achieves such status without acquitting themselves honorably. And though you may claim your responsibilities to be minimal, we are grateful to be under your guidance. However, there are a few questions which continue to plague me. Chiefly, what precisely is it we're supposed to be doing in the Monument of Oketra? Should we expect to battle creatures, face traps, retrieve something, enact some ritual, or what? I do not wish to sound impertinent, I am merely confused and wish to prepare myself and my Crop as best as possible." At this, Aesi bows slightly, his long crest still hovering over the stumpy old man.

15. - Top - End - #15

Performing some silent gestures of deference to the Vizier and the Goddess – no less than the least that's required, of course, but nothing more either – Ashait hangs back with a confident smile spreading over her face, mildly amused by the aven's string of questions. She knows what to expect: glory if they succeed and, in all probability, death if they fail. But she will succeed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Aloysius closes his eyes and clasps his hands together before whispering quietly to himself. What little is audible is closer to rambling than speech or proper prayer, but perhaps some would appreciate the loose structure more than a direct recitation of what they have heard a thousand times before...

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Knowledge Religion Roll: (1d20+8)[14]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The older man (but not by Earthly means, perhaps in his late twenties at most) turns and grins crookedly. Perhaps he isn't one accustomed to kind words.

You flatter me with your kindness. I can not speak at length of what you will find inside the walls of this or any of the other monuments. Just remember that not is all that it appears as, here or elsewhere. You will be challenged, first and foremost, on your ability to cooperate. What you will face, perhaps most of all, is each other. Come together as a single body and mind, and you will find glory on the other side. But perhaps I have already said too much. All will become perfectly clear when you enter.

He stops to turn again, but stumbles on an idea. It is the Gods that test you, so please don't expect your prayers to them to save you.

Spoiler: Religion roll
    Show
    It is important to note that, though they are technically undead, the Anointed are animated by positive energy (white mana). As such, they are still susceptible to turn/rebuke checks as normal, but they are not harmed by positive energy.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Morning comes. Or rather, what could be called morning on Amonkhet. The difference between dawn and dusk is truly negligible.

Did you sleep well, filled with confidence? Did you sleep at all, too anxious with the upcoming tasks you will face? Did you arrive early, counting the heads of your Crop as each arrive, or were you one of the last, trickling in as the moment approached? Meditation? Prayer? Shadow-fighting drills, or perhaps even a spar between yourself and a Crop-mate?

All has been done in preparation.

At the final moment, just as the first signs of the first sun prepared to begin its climb high into the sky, Temmet appears with a large smile. He says nothing as he approaches the massive stone doors of the Monument, then turns.

Are we ready?

He doesn't wait for an answer as he turns his back, placing his hand on the door. A glowing golden sigil ignites under his palm and spreads across the door. It appears to be some sort of map, a long rectangle with some figures strewn about its interior, but of note appears to be a large triangle placed at both ends of the length. The light flashes brightly one last time, and then a seem in the door appears, each side sliding open, creating a large opening, one even the Gods could walk through without need to duck.

Inside, it is incredibly dark. A few light sources can be seen immediately inside the door, and what appears to be along the length of the temple. Torches? Or perhaps something more magical?

You enter. Be it one at a time, exerting caution, or all as a group?

Behind you, Temmet lets out a small prayer before shouting Good luck, may the Gods smile upon you and find you worthy! before the doors slam shut, a stark contrast to the slow way they opened.

It is almost silent inside the chamber. Only the flickering of the lights and your own breaths can be heard.

From above, a golden light seems to be trickling down from what could only be a ceiling. The sound of stone grinding against stone can be heard once more, but from where you can not see. It seems to echo all around you. The trickling light begins to build up into a large golden orb, which suddenly erupts in light, filling the chamber with a blinding flash.

When your eyes adjust, you find yourself not inside a giant stone Monument, but instead surrounded by dilapidated buildings, with an obelisk, perhaps 100ft tall, standing behind you where the door once was. In the distance, you can make out another. It seems so far away.

Stepping out from behind your obelisk, she appears in all of her golden, shining glory. Oketra. Her standing before you invokes a feeling of steely resolve, like nothing could ever stop you. She draws her bow and a single arrow. Notching it, she lets it fly freely, sailing across the landscape and striking the top of the opposing obelisk.

My task of you today. Retrieve my arrow. Do not let this stone pillar fall. Let none stand in your way! Her words echo across the room for all to hear, and even sounds resonant in your mind.

Your task has been given. The Trial has begun.

Roll for Initiative.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Djem bows to her goddess and offers a short prayer

Show

(1d20)[5] initiative

Djem's granted manuevers

1. Crusader's strike
    2. Charging minotaur
    3. Leading the charge
    4. Stone bones
    5. Vanguard strike

(2d5)[5][3](8)
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #20

The gates opening and closing, the darkness and the light, the ruins and the pillars all leave Ashait unfazed. The promise of her moment of Glory gave her no restless hours the night before, nor did it break the strict, patient routines that governed her journey through the time she was given. She sharpened her blades, she cleaned and polished her shield, testing the weight of each against the strength of her arms, she moved about no faster and no slower than she did on days less solemn and her eyes follow the arrow of the goddess with equal calm. She smiles and bows herself, uttering but a handful of words, but uttering them with unwavering conviction. It will be done.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

(1d20+3)[8]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The stark look of awe was obvious on the gaunt face of Abraxas at the sight of Oketra in Her glory. He quickly averted his gaze, mumbling an apologetic prayer for his unworthiness of being able to see Her, heart thundering in his chest all the while.

Abraxas' grip tightened on his guisarme. The task had been set and he would do all to see it done!

(1d20+2)[15] (Initiative)
    (1d20+5)[23] (Listen)
    (1d20)[18] (Spot)

22. - Top - End - #22

Still flustered from barely making it to the trials, Sefu quickly surveys the path ahead looking for the best way to reach their destination with as little resistance as possible, while enhaling deeply hoping to grasp some idea of what they might face.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    (1d20+4)[9]

Perception skills (with scent)
    Spot (1d20+7)[24]
    listen (1d20+7)[22]
    survival (1d20+6)[13]

If combat has not started he'll also begin stealth and start scouting ahead

Stealth skills (with darkstalker feat)
    Hide (1d20+9)[11]
    Move silently (1d20+6)[7]

Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Aesi nods thanks to Temmet and enters the temple, his Aven eyes naturally adjusting to the gloom. He whispers to the group, "So that's it? We retrieve the arrow from a 100 tall obelisk? This should be... easy enough. Perhaps we should formulate a plan." A note of hesitation creeps into his voice, an uncertainty to which he is unaccustomed. He looks at his comrades, expectantly.

The bird man readies his cross bow, scanning the room. In Auran, he whispers, "Sadogo, keep your eyes peeled and your ears to the wind. Metaphorically, of course." He scans the horizon for foes, staying close behind his Crop mates.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Aesi:
    Spot [roll0]
    Listen [roll1]
    Initiative [roll2]
    Will activate the Aven/Raptoran Unerring Direction racial trait to know which direction is north.

Sadogo:
    Spot [roll3]
    Listen [roll4]
    Initiative [roll5]

Aesi has low light vision, Sadogo has darkvision.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Aloysius draws his own bow and readies an arrow, advancing on the left flank of the team. "As of now this task is straightforward. We should finish this before complications arise...or accumulate beyond our capacity to control."

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[16]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

So far, the task seems straightforward. I doubt it will remain so. But for now, let us assume that it will be as such until we learn otherwise.

A pity I don't know how to cast levitate

He proceeds to follow the arrow.

Show
    Roll for initiative! (1d20+6)[18]
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-05-31 at 10:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Isidor had a solemn night filled with mental routines and the mental reenactment of what he learned which should be enough to stand the trial of today.

When he waited for the others he sharpened his sword as best he could and removed any imperfections of his armor and shield that may have accumulated over a night.

When they entered the pyramid and then got they're task from Oketra he didn't bow down as he thought he would when standing before a god but bathed in they're glory. A glory he was worthy off, regardless if he would fail or succeed today.

Isidor's eyes followed the trail of the arrow and as though he wanted to get to it right away, because it would surely be the most glorious thing to retrieve it, he did her everything Oketra said.

I will protect the pillar, I'd be good to have at least one other to stay here.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[21]
    Currently in Punishing Stance, -2 AC + 1d6 damage
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-06-01 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Changed the atrocious speaking color

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Abraxas' eyes squinted towards where the arrow flew. So high! Of course he wanted to bound over and claim the arrow from the tippy-top of that obelisk!

But he was beholden to the Crop. And the Crop was not just one warrior. Even Abraxas saw the wisdom in Isidor's words.

"Then I will stay here with you!" Abraxas' head bobbed eagerly once more.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Ghost roll for Sothos (1d20+4)[20]

Initiative Order:
    Isidor
    Sothos
    Senet
    Aloysius
    Abraxas
    Aesi
    Sefu
    Ashait
    Djem

Isidor is first to go, your time starts ASAP.

The quick squabbles of tactics and merits fade as the sound of encroaching steps, shuffling steadily and with purpose, begins to grow. From beyond the various buildings, between them, through alleyways, no less than a dozen of the Anointed make themselves known. They make not a sound but the steps they take as they maintain a direct path towards the obelisk behind you. Soon, no doubt, they will liter the streets.

The golden arrow shines like a beacon in the distance, some 200 feet away, beckoning you forward to your prize and victory.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2022-06-01 at 06:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Isidor becomes aware of the Anointed he get's behind the pillar, and from one of his bags he strews a bag of caltrops unto the ground to slow anyone down who should come nearer. His Caltrops however seem to be as eager as the man himself as they are making they're way towards the nearest Anointed.

Quick now, get that arrow!

Show
    Get towards the least protected side of the pillar and let some living caltrops fall down. Every next turn they move 5 ft. towards the nearest creature and hopefully slows them down.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The caltrops begin their scurrying towards unknowing feet.

Next up Sothos: take your action.