New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous - Worldwound Incursion [IC]

Skerak crosses his arms. "Well, there's not much left... might as well see if there's anything we can salvage." He starts walking toward the doorway.

2. - Top - End - #422

"The library looks pretty thoroughly destroyed, I'm afraid, Aravashnial," Hesper tells the elf.

3. - Top - End - #423

Shauna steps forward. "Hush, all of you! There is a noise. Let's go check it out!"

She moves into the library proper. There may be survivors.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Diamond reloads his pistol and keeps it at the ready. There are demons, about, after all. Diamond remains silent.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Luna is right behind, hoping that there are indeed survivors to rescue.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Stack them better you fools" a voice calls from inside. Through the broken door, you can see a man in crusader banded mail ordering around few people dressed like librarians. He has a weapon drawn for encouragement. You van tell there are more people than you can see from the gap. It seems the main hall withstood the attack.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You can roll Perception and/or stealth. If you want to move to combat time, use Stealth to try and get a surprise round, or enter with a friendly save, or whatever

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 24/24 | AC: 19 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 6/4/8
    Diplomacy/Bluff +11 | Knowledge Religion/History +8 | Knowledge Planes +10 | Perception +11 | 
    Resources:  Channels 4/5, Fire Bolt 5/7, Dragon Scale 2/3
    Effects: Alter Self (medium humanoid, +2 Str), +4 Bluff against evil creatures.

What she hears grates on her nerves, and the cleric motions for the others to be silent. Knowing what the scale she holds in her pouch does, Lunalesca wills it to transform her into someone else. The result is a human woman in her mid twenties instead of the late teens, with black hair instead of shiny blonde. Next, she puts on whatever tabard had been collected from enemy cultists (preferably the one from the last cultist they killed). Then the unholy symbol of Baphomet from the cultist they killed. Finally, she holds the masterwork glaive in her hands. "There, now I'm someone with authority...or at least a messenger for someone with authority. I'm going to see whose side he's on, and lead him into an ambush that you all will set, if he is on the side of evil."

Unless someone voices an objection, Luna walks in, and proclaims with confidence, "What is all this foolishness? Has no one told you that our master wishes to take these pathetic nobodies for a ritual sacrifice? Why are they being kept here? You there..." She points to the armored man. "Who is your master? Did you receive different orders?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Use Terendelev's scale for Alter Self, changing into a different woman. Disguise as a demon cultist.
    Walk in and bluff: (1d20+15)[23]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-06-20 at 11:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428

Shauna blinks in surprise as the woman steps out into the fray. She hesitates, but then quietly hides while it goes on, to make sure that nothing goes wrong. She has to trust the woman, for now.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stealth as Standard Action: (1d20+7)[14]
    Study Crusader as move action: Gain +1 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks attempted against that opponent, and a +1 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against crusader.

Diamond silently slips behind a few stacks of books, peeking through an area where the books weren't well stacked together.

10. - Top - End - #430

Skerak hangs back with Shauna. If a fight breaks out, he can throw open the doors and attack the crusader without much trouble.

11. - Top - End - #431

Hesper waits and watches for the reaction to Luna's ploy.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The crusader stares at Luna in her cultist getup, taking note of the glaive.

"You think you can saunter in and claim my offering?" he asks, a motion from his hand signalling for a pair of tieflings, male and female, to set their books aside, hands reaching for the blades on their belts. "As for master... I'm currently... in the market, as it were..."

Diamond slips in and hides behind a bookshelf. There are a handful of people out there, still arranging the books into now more orderly piles as the confrontation goes on.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

The crusader's words confirm Luna's suspicions. This is indeed a turncoat who is trying to curry favor with the other side. She continues playing her part. "Ahh...I see. Commendable initiative, but letting them die without purpose a bit of a waste. Blood always makes rituals more powerful you know? My master is always looking talented...free agents. But you must PROVE yourself first. Are you brave enough to brave this test? There's a few do-gooders hiding in the sewers nearby. I spotted them but I can't take on that many myself. If you help me wipe them out, I'll introduce you to my master, and give a glowing recommendation. Leave these prisoners alive for now. You've made your point, and they can be put to better use for my master later."

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

At first, Diamond sits still and continues to do nothing. He finally decides to show himself however.
    ”I travel with her. The Abyss could use a reasonable strong person like yourself.”
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-06-23 at 08:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Fine" he says, turning to the two tieflings. "You two continue the preparations. I want the sacrifices ready."

You can see a trio of humans tied and chained, in what might well be an imagining of a sacrificial circle. Two more sift the rubble for more books, terrified and sobbing.

There is some irony that one of the books he is gathering would probably have a description of an actual sacrificial ritual. He hefts his mace, ready to go. Upon spotting Diamond, he looks uncertain. He still trusts them, but coming in like that, Diamond has set wheels in motion for this crusader to ensure that after success, an accident would befall them both.

"Well then... ladies first. Then the dwarf. Go on."

Show
    Those not in the room get a surprise round if you initiate combat.
    The main hall is 40 feet by 40 feet rectangle, with the important assets at the far back. The main double door opens outside, allowing one to lie in ambush behind them.

Those outside can hear the conversation and can time their actions as needed.

(1d20-1)[17] Crusader init

The NPC group hide in a nearby alleyway in the shadows, about 40 feet away from the main entrance

Edit: Initiatives thus far:
    Anevia 22
    Skerak 17
    Enemies 17
    Shauna 10
    Horgus 8
    Aravashinal 5
    Emilie 3
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2019-06-24 at 09:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Diamond considers his options carefully. Placing himself at an angle to make it look like he’s aiming for the sacrifice, he instead aims at the crusader:

Spoiler: attack
    Show
    studied target grants +1 to attack, damage, and bluff

(1d20+3)[5]
    (1d8+1)[2]

Spoiler: bluff
    Show
    (1d20-1)[11]

Deadeye Deed: resolve against touch AC regardless of distance.

”Damn this new technology! It’s always misfiring. Once it's perfected, though, our master will be very proud!”
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-06-24 at 01:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437

Shauna stands up and points her weapon at the crusader. "Fiend! You shall regret turning your back upon the people of Kenabres! You and the demons you sought to appease shall suffer the same end, as a stain on my blade!"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    Diplomacy/Bluff +11 | Knowledge Religion/History +8 | Knowledge Planes +10 | Perception +11 | 
    Effects: Alter Self (medium humanoid, +2 Str), +4 Bluff against evil creatures.

This is NOT what she expected her allies to do, so the look of surprise on her face is genuine. "WHAT in the..." Still, nothing he can do that. The shock from all this going sideways so quickly slows her response...

Show

Got a 3 on Initiative.

19. - Top - End - #439

Hesper ducks around the outer wall and assesses the situation, aiming her bow at the guy who's been yammering about sacrifices.

20. - Top - End - #440

"So much for trickery."
    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Full-round action to gather power for a kinetic blast next turn

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

Anevia 22
    Skerak 17
    Enemies 17
    Hesper 10
    Shauna 10
    Horgus 8
    Aravashinal 5
    Emilie 3
    Luna 3

Things were not going to plan, and they were moving quickly.
    "I knew it!" the crusader roars after Diamond shot him. "Take…" he is interrupted by Shauna. "Well... I've had my eyes on you for a while... Your life is bound to be a worthy offering! With this, I, Chaleb, will prove my worth to our demon masters""

"Kill the fakers" he orders his tieflings. The two librarians, terrified, drop their books and hide, while the ones tied in the circle can't leave.

Show
    The cavalier uses Braggart, which works as Dazzling Display.
    (1d20+7)[19] vs 13+Wisdom, targeting every PC.
    (1d20+3)[11], (1d6+1)[6] vs Luna
    (1d20+3)[8], (1d6+1)[4] vs Diamond
    I'm going to say that you're not flat-footed

22. - Top - End - #442

Shauna narrows her eyes. "You aren't worth the effort it would take to show mercy."

She calls a blessing from her goddess and strikes the man down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Smite Evil! on Chaleb.
    (1d20+9)[18] (Power Attack)
    (1d8+9)[16] damage (+3 if he is an antipaladin)

23. - Top - End - #443

Skerak spends another moment drawing in power from the earth, and hurls a forceful blast of stone at one of the tieflings.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move action to continue gathering power, with him spending the last turn doing it the burn cost of his next blast is reduced by 3.
    Using 1 of the reduced burn to apply Extended Range and the other 2 on Pushing Infusion to knock the tiefling back.
    Hit: (1d20+5)[24]/(1d20+5)[9]
    Damage: (2d6+8)[14]/(4d6+16)[29]
    Bull Rush: (1d20+5)[25], the tiefling is pushed back 5 feet plus another 5 feet if the check beats its CMD by 5 or more

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Diamond, uses a paper alchemical cartridge to quickly reload his pistol, and fires at his studied target (the crusader) once more.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

Reload as move action, attack as standard action.

Deadeye: Use touch AC regardless of distance, 1/3 remaining.

(1d20+3)[17]
    (1d8+1)[4]

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    Effects: SHAKEN, Alter Self (medium humanoid, +2 Str), +4 Bluff against evil creatures.

This enemy sudden looks very...menacing...brandishing that weapon aroubd. She shudders inwardly for a few seconds and then gets back to the business. Lunalesca steps behind the armored paladin, and then chants a magical spell. The cleric looks at the traitorous crusader...or rather, looks at the crusader's MACE. Soon, it gains a glow...but not the glow of a magical weapon. Instead it is the red glow of a metal weapon heating up!

Show

5ft step behind Shana if possible. If not, just step away from the rogue.
    Cast Burning Disarm (Reflex DC 15) on crusader mace. He must make save or take 3d4 damage. Success means he has the option to just drop his mace.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-06-28 at 02:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Her hands unwontedly shaking, Hesper aims her bow at the scary guy.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+1)[19] Critical threat check: (1d20+1)[15] Damage: (1d6)[5] Critical damage: (2d6)[6]

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The crusader falls beneath the onslaught of the attack. The Tiefling hit by Skerak's goes down, not getting up. The last Tiefling looks around. "He made me do it!" he pleads, dropping his weapon.

The librarians remain scared and as out of the way as they possibly can.

28. - Top - End - #448

Shauna smiles. "Steel yourself, young man. There is no hope for humanity if we cannot forgive one another for simple mistakes. Though you may have given in to temptation, you did not follow through. No blood has yet stained your hands. Rise. Your surrender is accepted. Is that not so?"

She looks back to her company for affirmation.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Lunalesca raises a slightly incredulous eyebrow. "I highly doubt he has not spilled blood before. That said, I am not opposed to...giving second chances, provided we have a way of ensuring his cooperation. Remember, if we let him live and he ends up hurting someone...say...Anevia or Emilie...before running off...that's partially on us."

30. - Top - End - #450

"There's a pretty simple way to check," Hesper says, returning her bow to her back now that she's no longer feeling afraid of the bellowing crusader. "What did he act like?" she asks the librarians, stepping forward to untie the bound ones. "Was he reluctantly following orders, did he act enthusiastic about what he was doing?"