New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous - Worldwound Incursion [IC]

"I don't think that's a consideration anymore, if it ever was," Hesper says, stepping forward to stab the evil orc.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[8] Critical threat check (on an 18-20): (1d20+5)[24] Damage: (2d6+1)[9] Critical damage: (1d6+1)[7]

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The weight of attacks finally drives the orc down, and he dies, the ranseur slipping from his fingers as he collapses. Another place, at least momentarily, that is rendered safe. You recall that there was supposed to be a stash of potions and supplies left here, assuming the orc did not already pillage that. The pantry, from what Luna could see, had certainly suffered at the hands of his appetite. Beyond the pantry and kitchen, the house consists of a small bedroom and the living room.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll post what you find through search when I get home to my books.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Luna also searches for the password, which is what they came for. "Gotta make sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands..."

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Searching the bedroom, you find an alcove with the cache mentioned. The note, addressed to Anevia, says that the password "Silverstrong" identifies them as friends. In addition, Irabeth left two potions of cure moderate wounds and three potions of invisibility in the niche.

The next question is your destination. There were three safehouses for the Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth, the insidious cult that infiltrated Kenabres, one of which you confirmed was destroyed. That leaves Topaz Solutions and the Tower of Estrod.

The note found in the mongrelmen lair stated that the Password remains "I've new material to the archives" for now.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

Luna burns the note so no one else can find it, then turns to the others. "Let's try the Tower of Estrod. Since there's a password to use there, it is apparently manned still. I can once again dress up as a cultist. Think our entire group can get in that way? Even if we're in crusader gear, we can claim we were undercover..."

6. - Top - End - #666

"No, I don't. I think the available evidence suggests that we cannot get into anywhere by lying under any circumstances because two members of our group are incapable of either lying or keeping quiet," Hesper says flatly.

7. - Top - End - #667

"Perhaps we would, if we were in a position where doing so made any sense whatsoever..."

8. - Top - End - #668

"Whatever the reasoning that led us to abruptly go from tricking that idiot to openly talking about exiling or imprisoning him in front of him, there's no value in pretending it won't happen again if we start out approaching the Tower of Estrod with anything less than waving swords and shouted slogans about righteousness. At most, perhaps we could use the password to get the door open."

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, just stay quiet and let me do the initial talking. Once we're inside we can assess the situation and look for a chance to gather some intelligence and kill or capture the people there. Let's go. Oh, anyone want to use this ranseur? It looks magical, but I'm no good with it..."

10. - Top - End - #670

Shauna straightens up. "I'm worried about what's going on in these 'safehouses'...Do you think this is where the cultists are active? There may be even more demons with them. We should prepare before we just run into one of those places."

She heals Skerak.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[1]

She looks at Hesper with a frown. "...Lying is difficult for me. But if you wish me to remain silent, so be it. I doubt it would be too effective, as I am clearly clad in a crusader's gear."

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The group decides to continue to the Tower of Estrod. It is, publicly at least, a hall of records on crusade affairs, a place of gathered histories and deeds of the crusaders and heroes. Knowing it to be a covert operation by cultist, one realizes how much sensitive information about the crusade they could get their hands on.

The tower itself is shorter than you remember, the upper floors collapsed during or after the demon assault, but unlike Nyserian Manor, it still stands, some three stories of stone tower, perhaps 60 feet in diameter. The rest of the tower has toppled over and crushed surrounding buildings. The surviving tower has few windows, and the main entrance seems to be a heavy wooden door.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Before the group gets close to the tower, Luna uses her scale to make herself look a bit different than normal, and to make herself look like that she's wearing what she has seen cultists wear. With an umholy symbol of Baphomet showing prominently, she says to the others, "This scale not only disguises your looks. It also help you lie to those of immoral character. It can be used 2 more times today, should 2 of you wish to avail yourself of its power."

13. - Top - End - #673

Shauna frowns. "Disgusting...you disgrace your goddess by wearing another's symbol..." She puts her hands on her hips, shaking her head. "But I suppose this is all part of your plan, yes? Good luck with that..."

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes. I am ready to knock on the door and speak the password. Remember to stick to the plan. We'll get in, see what they're doing, grab intel, and then capture one for interrogation, and probably kill the rest." replies the sexy fake Templar of the Ivory Labyrinth.

15. - Top - End - #675

Skerak uses the scale to make himself look like a cultist.

16. - Top - End - #676

Hesper stays back, watching Luna's approach. She makes no effort to disguise herself; it's not like she resembles a crusader, even if she technically is one at this point.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lunalesca knocks on the door once proper preparations are made. Movement can be heard from the far side, and a gruff male voice speaks out.

"Password?"

She gives it, "I've new material to the archives."
    A latch is moved to the side and the door opened. A big man, dressed not as a Templar of the Ivory Labyrinth, but rather in the black and deep red of Baphomet, eyes the group. "Great. More fake templars. Come off the streets already. We'll let you rest and get back on your mission"

He admits them in. The ground floor of the tower is now open to the air-a tangle of wooden supports above being all that remains of the building's upper stories. Two rubble-filled pools flank a central walkway that crosses to an open area with a few shelves, a desk and chair, and a flight of stairs leading down.

A second male cultist passes out a few bedrolls. Beyond them, the floor is empty.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Shauna gets through the door. A red-skinned tiefling clad mostly in black leather stands with his back to her at a workdesk. Four horns curl back from his head, and his legs end in hooves. A red tail hangs idly behind him as he focuses.

"So?" he asks without turning to look. Shauna spots a scorpion on his shoulder facing her. Did he see through it?

The room itself has been cleared for a workshop, the floor divided in two, with the other room behind a pair of ornate metal doors.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, my friend there has had a tiring day. I just want to make sure she doesn't miss any details, you know?" says Luna, trying to trick the tiefling.

20. - Top - End - #680

Skerak sits down to wait.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For clarity, the tiefling is downstairs, where so far only Shauna has been admitted. The cultists above are humans.
    (Luna can roll Bluff or Diplomacy, her choice.)

Upstairs, the cultist looks thoughtful, though not suspicious.

Downstairs, Shauna is with the tiefling. "Well? Out with it! I need to have this done before the second phase, and excess distractions are counter-productive. Did you have a report, or did you simply desire to see my blessed form?"

22. - Top - End - #682

Shauna stares in shock at the fiendish creature before her. She glowers at him, and then draws her blade.

"Report? No. But whatever your second phase is, it will never come."

Her blade glows with holy fire. "For Terendelev. I will take your life!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Smite Evil
    (1d20+8)[13]
    (1d8+6)[7], ignore DR

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The tiefling sways aside from the strike, chanting a spell and lunging at the templar.

Upstairs, the cultists draw their weapons in readiness, eyeing the group suspiciously. They still don't know if some of them are cultists, or if all are enemies. An they're outnumbered. One blocks the stairs down, the other is in the centre of the space.

Spoiler: Upstairs
    Show
    Between their reaches, any movement other than a 5-foot step provokes an attack of opportunity.

Spoiler: Downstairs
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14] Touch attack vs Shauna. Will save if it connects

24. - Top - End - #684

The grace of her General protects her. Shauna attacks again with anger.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[23]
    (1d8+9)[13]

25. - Top - End - #685

Skerak launches a stone blast at one of the cultists.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit: (1d20+7)[8]/(1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+8)[14]/(4d6+16)[30]

26. - Top - End - #686

"Surrender or die!" Hesper tells the cultists, drawing her rapier and stepping forward to stab the one blocking the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's assuming a five-foot step will reach that one; if not, she'll stab the other one instead. If reasonably possible, she'll choose her five-foot step in such a way as to facilitate flanking with Luna.

Attack: (1d20+5)[23] Critical threat check (on an 18-20): (1d20+5)[16] Damage: (1d6+1)[6] Critical damage: (1d6+1)[2]

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 24/24 | AC: 19 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 6/4/8
    Diplomacy/Bluff +11 | Knowledge Religion/History +8 | Knowledge Planes +10 | Perception +11 | 
    Resources:  Channels 5/5, Fire Bolt 7/7, Dragon Scale 3/3
    Effects: Bless

The cleric sighs. So much for subterfuge. The paladin had to go all violent. "Well, time to go to work. Goddess, guide me!" Stepping inside the reach of the cultist that Hesper is attacking, Luna chants a blessing, and grants everyone a blessing to improve their accuracy.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Step inside the reach of the cultist. Cast Bless on everyone. +1 to attack and to resist fear.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2020-03-14 at 06:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The battle starts in the earnest. The cultist guarding the stairs draws a dagger, slashing at Luna, who he perceives to be more defenceless. The other cultist steps to put Skerak in his reach, his glaive sweeping for the kineticist.

Downstairs, the tiefling screams out in pain and fury, dark energies of his already cast spell dancing around his hand, which lashes out at the paladin.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+5)[23], (1d10+3)[12] vs Skerak
    (1d20+3)[23], (1d4+2)[4] vs Luna
    (1d20+6)[24] tiefling vs Shauna, touch. Will save if he hits

29. - Top - End - #689

Shauna ignores the creature's dark magic and continues with her assault!

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[18]
    (1d8+9)[17]

30. - Top - End - #690

Spoiler
    Show
    Hit: (1d20+7)[24]/(1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (2d6+8)[14]/(4d6+16)[27]

Concentration check against AoOs: (1d20+7)[26]