Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Labyrinthine - Team Contrary

Spoiler: Delvington Map
    Show
    Spoiler: Patron
    Show
    Jonqash The Radiant is a genie of some sort. He appears to be neither djinn nor ifrit, though he exhibits traits of both.
    He offers long term magical buffs and discounted spellcasting, perhaps even the rare _limited wish_, if he's in the right mood.
    He requires access to any knowledge you discover as well as ownership of any magic items directly related to genies, for which he offers the market equivalent in spellcasting services.

You arrived in Delvington a two days ago and got settled into a very modest... hut hastily constructed. The construction seems sound enough, but you rather hope that no large storms blow through anytime soon.

A messenger arrived early this morning from Jonqash The Radiant, with a notice that you are given permission to enter into the dungeon at high noon today and instructed to arrive at the docks at least 30 minutes early.

Why the docks you might ask? Well, it seems some fool with a decanter of endless water died in the dungeon before deactivating it. The top two levels of the dungeon in the area quickly filled with water and collapsed, creating the small lake you see before you. Fortunately, a small island near the middle remains above the waters with a relatively safe entrance into the labyrinth below.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Labyrinthine - Team Contrary

Nicomede Gasparo Pia Bonaventura Speziale the Fourth completed the last of his morning devotions to the Locked Vault, the tallying of his current possessions and value. The total was less than it had previously been, it must be said. Much of Nicomede's value had been left behind in Altair, fleeing from his father's hired men. But all this was a temporary setback. The priest had been lucky to fall in with these adventuring types. They had even managed to find a sponsor - the jin Jonqash was intriguing, and Nicomede had hopes to converse further with him. The Radiant was old, and likely had knowledge that even the greatest libraries had forgotten. Anything that could be learned would be of great value.

Finished with his preparations, Nicomede rose, cracked his neck, and grinned. "Ah, my friends, our first foray into the dungeon awaits. Do you feel it? The untold riches, the bounty of knowledge, the wonders unknown, ripe for the taking! Despite these humble accommodations, I have never felt more ready in my life."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Hah, I can feel it too, lad," Gabbra said, giving the young man a hearty slap on the lower back. It was probably not the most welcome spot to receive a hard pat, but there were not many better options given their difference in height.

"Let's just hope tha' poor sod tha' flooded the dungeon didn't ruin everything in there," she said, as she walked over to her bag, packing the last of her stuff.

"Tha' reminds me. I reckon all that water isn't good for paper. And I ain't got no way o' keeping the water out. We probably need to swing by the shanty markets just to find something waterproof or the like. An' how long you reckon we be down there? I ne'er packed rations, though its a good idea. In case we get trapped down there or somethin'."

She shuddered thinking of that possibility.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roscoe

"Have faith sister, And our luck will bring us riches in these ruins. Though it is still probably a good idea to get something waterproof." Says Roscoe, purched atop the shoulder of his adamantine manservant."Onward Biggun, it's time to shop."
    Last edited by JudgeKludge; 2018-07-18 at 09:43 PM. Reason: My punctuation was garbage

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Biggun

The forged man beneath the little monk grunts in acknowledgement, a voice like steel on a whetstone echoing out of his breastplate. "Indeed." says Biggun, beginning a steady march toward the Merchant's District. "I have never met a dwarf afraid of going underground before, Gabbra. You continue to surprise me." he says thoughtfully.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2018-07-18 at 09:35 PM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

" 'Ey! I ain't afraid a going underground!" Gabbra says, pointing a stubby finger up at the warforged and his jockey.

"I'm afraid o' being trapped. There's a big diffrence. Anywho, let's not jinx it and get the show on the road."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-07-18 at 03:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Nicomede frowned at the mention of the flooding. "Food I have a plenty, and I am happy to share. Getting it below will prove somewhat troublesome, with the flooding. May I impose upon one of you to loan me the fund to purchase a few waterproof bags for transport? I will repay in full out of my share of the goods we procure within, of course."
    No news is good news.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Spoiler: DM Request
    Show
    Can you please start your posts with your character's name in bold? I haven't mentioned it before now, but that will really help me with keeping characters straight.

As you stand waiting on the dock, a wide, shallow boat with a small roofed section approaches you. While large enough for the entire party, it is obvious that you will need to make two trips to safely transport all four of you and the mule to the island with the dungeon entrance.

The ferryman greets you with a silent nod and waits for you to board.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Biggun

The forged man approaches the boat with no small amount of caution, and gives a deep nod to the ferryman. He stoops low and extends an arm towards the deck so that Roscoe can more easily hop aboard, and then does his best to daintily step onto the boat himself. "I have a good feeling about this trip." he says, surveying the 'lake' with a pale green gaze and trying to make himself as small as he can.
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Gabbra Helmsplitter

"Oi! 'ello there!" Gabbra says, briskly walking up to the ferryman and shaking his hand. Perhaps a few more shakes than necessary.

She looks back and forth between the boat and the rest of the party several times, especially the mule, and finally says, "So Nico, I guess yer riding with yer mule?" She eagerly steps onto the boat with Roscoe and Biggun, leaving their 4th member behind with his pack animal.

"Dun worry, we won't touch nothin' till you get there!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roscoe

"You know what Biggun, that may just be the smartest thing that I've ever heard you say. And I couldn't agree more! This is going to be great!" the pilgrim says cheerily to his faithful bodyguard. "Gabby, do you know any fun songs for the ride?"
    Last edited by JudgeKludge; 2018-07-18 at 10:11 PM. Reason: I referred to a character who wasn't in the room.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DM

The ferryman looks at Gabbra's outstretched hand with a blank gaze before looking off across the water without grasping it. He continues to not speak.

As soon as the three are aboard, he pushes off from the dock, poles the boat over to the island, and allows them to disembark before returning for Nicomede and his mule.

Once the party is safely on the tiny island, the boat heads back toward the dock.

Calling this an "island" is generous. In fact, it appears to be more akin to the topmost section of a set of ruins rather than an actual island. You stand on a small, rocky outcropping about 30 feet in diameter that is no more than 4 or 5 inches above the water at its highest. There is a 10 foot wide round hole in the very middle and second, smaller hole with what appears to be a stone staircase leading down.

Looking down over the lip of the hole, you realize that there is about a 100 foot drop straight down with a spiral staircase around the sides, cut deeper into the stone, leaving the central shaft completely clear.

The mule should be able to traverse the stairs, but it will need to squeeze the entire way down. It does not look pleased with the idea, or the trip in general thus far.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2018-07-18 at 10:19 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Gabbra Helmsplitter

"O' course I do!" the dwarf offers, bursting into a song as the three slowly embarked.

Spoiler: song
    Show
    "Oh, what will we do with a drunken kobold?
    What will we do with a drunken kobold?
    What will we do with a drunken kobold?
    Early in the morning!

Way hay and up she rises,
    Early in the morning!

Shave his scales with a rusty razor,
    Early in the morning!

Early in the morning!

Put him in a long boat till he's sober,
    Early in the morning!

Early in the morning!

Stick him in a barrel with a hosepipe on him,
    Early in the morning!

Gabbra continues singing a bit till she gets bored of the song.

---

She stares down the big hole while they wait for Nicomede to arrive, remarking at the depth of the drop.

"Tha' first step is a doozy," she remarks. "You takin' the lead, Biggun?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-07-18 at 10:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Biggun

The forged man glances at Roscoe before saying to Gabbra "Sounds like a good approach. Keep your eyes sharpened and try to stay in my shadow." As soon as Nicomede gets his mule sorted out, Biggun takes point and begins the descent.
    Fluff | Crunch

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roscoe

"I don't trust this hole, what's at the bottom?" with a strangely serious look on his face Roscoe proceeds to the edge of the larger hole and flips a copper piece down the pit
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd like to make a Perception check to hear the coin
    (1d20-3)[0]
    "bless us o' lady, we will need your grace." with that he turns to follow Biggun and the group down the stairs "Let's go get some loot!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Gabbra Helmsplitter

"There's only one way to find out," Gabbra says, following Biggun with her handaxe drawn.

"I hope yer coin didin wake no one up."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-07-18 at 11:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Gabbra's song is interrupted by a cold, wet thunk on the head from the ferryman's pole.

"Shh!" he hisses at her before looking around nervously.

The waters remain calm... for the moment.

Roscoe's coin spins through the air for a moment before clanging on the stone floor deep below.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Gabbra Helmsplitter (OOC)

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    sorry, I figure we should probably make some rolls?

Academics: (1d20+3)[19]
    I wonder if I can tell anything important.. or unique historical facts by the looks of the architecture.
    For example culture, nation, approx. date...

And of course this obligatory roll, for on the way down.
    Perception: (1d20+2)[5]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

●●●●●●
    DM

You make your way slowly down the stairs, shoving the mule forward almost every step. The more meticulous (or OCD) among you counts the steps, discovering that the entire staircase is 400 feet long. There's not going to be a quick or easy ascent if you have to climb back out in a hurry.

Though you see the remnants of three traps along the staircase, they have been thoroughly disassembled and removed by earlier groups, though the lowest one still bears the bloodstains of an unfortunate adventurer.

You make your way down the spiral staircase into the deep darkness only to emerge into the center of a decently well-lit room. The vaulted ceiling is some thirty feet high, and the walls at least 50 feet away. Several mighty columns support the roof, each with one or two continual flames cast on otherwise empty torch sconces.

This large room is mostly empty, with only the detritus of adventurers present: scraps of broken gear, discarded rations, even the remnants of a shattered cart that looks as if it fell when someone tried to lower it from above.

There are closed doors in each of the four walls. Three doors head north, four doors head west, two doors head south, and three doors head east.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roscoe

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Can I find my copper?

Perception:
    (1d20-3)[15]
    Last edited by JudgeKludge; 2018-07-19 at 06:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Nicomede Gasparo Pia Bonaventura Speziale the Fourth

As they finally descended the stairs, Nico absent-mindedly stroked Rodger's neck, softly cooing to calm his beast. His eyes flitted about, searching the room for anything of particular value. "Curious. Why try to bring a cart down here?
    The extra room would be valuable of course, but surely anyone can see getting the thing in and out would be a great exertion."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

A whole bunch of skill checks.

First, Perception, looking for anything useful amongst the debris. (1d20+4)[8]
    Second, Streetwise, looking for any identifying features on the scraps of gear. Point of origin, who else might be down here with us. (1d20+4)[9]
    Third, an Academics roll to see what information can be gleaned about the ruin's origins. (1d20+5)[17]
    No news is good news.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Gabbra Helmsplitter

"More treasure, lad. A' course it would be difficult gettin' a cart down..." Gabbra says, peering up the large hole the spiral staircase wound around. "Some blokes tried and failed though. A real lift system would'n be a bad idea. Imagine if something large needed ta be brought up. A statue, a throne made of gold... a cart full o' gems."

Gabbra rubbernecked around the room and took several paces here and there to survey it. "Looks like we got a choice now. An' I reckon some doors will lead to good things and others lead to bad. Or nothin'," she said with a shrug.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-07-19 at 11:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roscoe

"I think that may be from the fools who brought the ocean down here with them." says Roscoe as he examines the north most door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roscoe is checking for traps.

Perception:
    (1d20-3)[3]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

●●●●●●
    DM

Gabbra and Nicomede collaborate for a few moments and discuss their thoughts on the ruins. These particular ruins were unknown and undocumented until just a few weeks ago, so they don't know anything about them from their past studies. However, they do know about dungeons in general.

There are two features by which dungeons are categorized: "Mundane vs Magical" and "Containment, Future Generations, and Vengeance."

Mundane vs Magical is fairly straightforward. If you find a locked vault with no magical protections, it's a mundane dungeon. A magical dungeon has magical protections on it. The line between the two is a bit fuzzy though. There are mundane dungeons with a few magical wards, and magical dungeons frequently have non-magical traps as well. The key difference in defining a dungeon as magical is whether or not the dungeon harnesses the ambient mana to reset traps. Mundane dungeons may contain monsters, but it's almost always just happenstance that the monsters stumbled across it and moved in. True magical dungeons are much more dangerous, because they tend to attract monsters like a moth to a flame, and sometimes, they seem to just spawn monsters as if from nothing.

The second category for dungeons is determined by the dungeon's purpose.

Containment dungeons are, quite obviously, meant to contain something. It could be a threat, a valuable natural resource, etc. Most frequently, this type of dungeon takes the form of a crypt meant to contain the dead, and the spontaneously occurring undead that tend plague any place where corpses are gathered. These are initially the most forgiving dungeons, as they typically were intended to be accessible from outside, but they have many traps and defenses that make it difficult for anyone or anything inside to get back out.

A dungeon meant for Future Generations is usually created when a powerful individual, such as an archmage, is about to die or a mighty empire begins to collapse. Before they meet their end, they secure their most powerful artifacts in vaults with the intention of having them be breached. Not that they would like their valuable artifacts to go into the hands of just anybody. These dungeons are riddled with traps, puzzles, and guardians meant to test those who enter, so that only those who have proved themselves worthy should receive the inheritance.

Vengeance are the absolute worst. When those who build a dungeon are furious at their own demise and resent the thought that their possessions will fall into the hands of another, a vengeance dungeon is constructed to seal away their most valuable treasures. They fill it with the nastiest traps, most vicious monsters, and most potent spells that their twisted minds can conceive. If adventurers were to go into them, they aren't likely to ever leave again. Such a dungeons is designed to brutally kill whoever dares to enter it.

Based on the information your party has gathered and the stories you've heard in town, you are starting to fear that this is a Magical Vengeance dungeon...

Roscoe manages to find his coin, but only because it didn't roll underneath anything in the room. The area around the entrance is fairly clear, with most of the garbage shoved towards the walls.

You note nothing of value among the detritus. Most adventuring parties don't wear coats of arms or any other clearly identifying marks beyond the gear they carry, and the things discarded here show no identifying marks that you have noticed.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Biggun

The forged man sidles up beside Roscoe at the north-most door. "Any objections?" he asks. Biggun reaches towards the door with a mighty fist and gives a surprisingly soft knock before trying to open it by whatever means necessary.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    I'm assuming that Roscoe passes on that he finds no traps, and Gabbra and Nicomede do not object. If Biggun cannot find a knob or latch of some kind, he will allow Roscoe to attempt to disable it.

In the interest of saving us all some time, however, here's a check to break the door down if all else fails.

Strength Check:
    (1d20+7)[27]
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2018-07-20 at 12:56 AM.
    Fluff | Crunch

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

●●●●●●
    DM

Biggun, with a massive show of strength, synthetic muscles bulging and rippling clearly, grasps the door handle in his steely fingers and gently opens the door.

As there is no "north most" door, all three northern doors being equally far north, we'll arbitrary say you've opened door number (1d3)[3].

The rightmost door swings open, revealing that it is nearly 15 feet tall and 10 feet wide. The odd thing is that the ceiling of the hallway beyond quickly drops by 5 feet to a more-or-less uniform 10x10 hallway. After traversing a distance of only 20 feet, another, more normally-sized door stands closed.

The dusty floor shows signs that another group went this way recently, but you see no signs of their return trip.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2018-07-20 at 01:19 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Gabbra Helmsplitter

"Whoa, whoa, hold an now," Gabbra said, hurrying over to the door Roscoe and Biggun were near.

But he already opened it before she could finish her sentence.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Rizban! Seems we are lucky nothing happened. I had been trying to discuss things in discord.

I absolutely do prefer a faster game pace and do not wish to slow the game down. However, before posting, would you mind doing a quick check on discord, if at all possible?

If I am about to post, I will usually be writing some comments and such beforehand.

Gabbra inhaled and stopped dead in her tracks, expecting the worst. Of course, being the first room and all, pretty much filled with garbage and not blood (save for the three traps along the stairs), maybe her worry was for nothing. And luckily it appeared so.

"Gentlemen," she begins, as she briskly covers the distance to the door, "I reckon this place is far more dang'rous than we first thought. It's very likely tha' whoever built this place was a foul, twisted monster, aiming ta kill any fool tha' finds it. Could be tha' all but one o' these doors lead to death traps," she says, gesturing back to the main room with a nervous shrug.

"Now I dun mean ta back out yet. But I think we need to take much more care than this," she says, gesturing at the door Biggun just opened. "I think we all oughta take a careful look at everything before touchin' somethin'. Tha' door, fer instence. Lemme have a look wit' ya next time, Roscoe," she says, pointing at the next door, about 20 feet down the hallway.

After that she awkwardly says, "Also, I brought with me some dungeoneerin' paint. How do ya fellas feel about me marking the way we go?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-07-20 at 01:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roscoe

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    How symmetrical is the hallway, also how squared* are the corners of the hallway?

"That's a grand idea Gabbra, how much paint do you have though? I'd hate to run out half-way down the first corridor." Roscoe says looking for any reason that the celling looks like it does. "Gabbra, you asked to help me examine things right? What do you think about this ceiling?
    Spoiler
    Show
    At this point Roscoe is going to try and make an engineering check to see why the hallway is shorter than the door
    Engineering:
    (1d20+4)[18]
    Last edited by JudgeKludge; 2018-07-21 at 12:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

●●●●●●
    DM

Spoiler: Typical Hallway
    Show

Roscoe determines that the ceiling is shaped this way to accommodate the massive door. He otherwise sees no purpose to it.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Nicomede Gasparo Pia Bonaventura Speziale the Fourth

"Specifically, Gabbra and I surmise the dungeon is magically infused, capable of resetting its traps and possibly restocking its monsters. Our offer from the...Mother, or whatever it was, should have tipped us off earlier, with its talk of dark and unnatural forces at the dungeon's heart. It is also probable the dungeon was built with the sole intention of stopping anyone from obtaining the treasures within, with lethal force being the preferred deterrent." Nico stepped forward, peering into the hall. "As such, we should most definitely proceed with extreme caution. I volunteer to take point, as traps are a subject of special interest to the Vault, and I have some experience in their disassembly." He looked around at the other doors. "For now, are we agreed to proceed down this hall, since the way lies open to us?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

As a Beguiler, Nico has the Trapfinding class feature, and with ranks in both Engineering and Perception, he is likely the best suited to take point in a trap-infested dungeons.

Speaking of which, Percepting the hallway for traps.

(1d20+4)[21]
    No news is good news.