New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Armor Spikes+ Special Materials= ?

I have a question to pose to the collective knowledge of the forums: Say I wanted to buy a mithral breastplate with armor spikes. Would I have to pay the extra 1000 gold (or whatever the exact price is) to have the spikes made of mithral as well, would the cost of the metal be included in hammering the spikes out of it, or could I just get iron ones added ex post facto?

I don't think this is anywhere in the errata, so.... thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Translation [of "Stop Posting"]: I don't know how to argue against this, so I'm just going to tell you to shut up in attempt to make it look like the counterargument is so blatantly obvious that I don't even need to explain it in a suitably condescending tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    The proper way to run a fight at ECL90 gestalt is to line up and kick each other in the genitals. The first one who falls over loses and his character's soul is devoured by the winner.
    FREE video game and anime music!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Armor Spikes+ Special Materials= ?

If the armour is made of mithril then so is the spikes, which are an integral part of the brestplate. The spikes can be enchanted like any other magic weapon.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Armor Spikes+ Special Materials= ?

I think the spikes can be made out of a different material. And can even be added later.

If you have +1 magical armor, the spikes still require their own weapon enchantment if you want them to be magical weapons.

It is worth noting that the description of Full Plate states that the suit comes with gauntlets. So if you have Adamantine Full Plate you have gauntlets that allow you to ignore hardness.... of course you provoke attacks of opportunity if you attack an opponent with them.