New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Disguising body parts

I'm making an elan character with the inhuman reach feat. I didn't want my party to know that i am an elan, so i wanted to make a disguise check. It occured to me that if they were smart enough, they would wonder why i had really long arms, and possibly recognize me as an abberation. What DC would hiding really long arms be? What if you had a tail? I'm thinking an easier DC for stuff like tails (which are easy to hide) a medium one for stuff like long arms (fold them into shirt or something?--> but then to use them you would have to unfold them, then fold them again...so you're arms would become longer as you attack --> and that would be a seperate, difficult check) a hard DC for stuff like
    claws, and a really hard DC for stuff like a dragon's tail/claws/head.
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Disguising body parts

I haven't read Lords of Madness for a while, but don't you need to be humanoid to take Inhuman Reach?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Dude ... what are you trying to do? Elan with really long arms but not overtly Elan ... or something?

So your character is actually Elan ... and you're trying to hide this in a metagame fashion through the use of in-game skill checks? Or did I miss something?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

you need to have abberation blood to take it, thats all.

I want to play a race called elan. THERE IS A RACE KNOWNS AS ELANS! I know, awesome huh?

also, can a level 4 psychic warrior take weapon specialization?
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The aberration blood feat needed to use inhuman reach requires you to be a humanoid. Elans are aberrations and not humanoid. This means they can't take the aberration blood feat.

Hiding the fact that you're an elan is trivial as they're just humans with different brains. Their physical description in the XPH says that some of them pass themselves off as human. Making your arms look shorter is a different matter entirely.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2007-09-11 at 09:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

So you wanna pass off as human? Be lecherous, I mean look at all the half-human half-something elses out there. Centaurs (half horse), harpies (half birds), yuan-ti (half snake), half-orc (half-orc), half-ogre, half-elf, aasimar (technically not half), tiefling (also not technically half) warforged (half-toaster).

Joking aside, just... act normal. The best way to hide something is in plain sight, afterall.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE KING! View Post
    I want to play a race called elan. THERE IS A RACE KNOWNS AS ELANS! I know, awesome huh?
    Ohhhhhhhhhh ... excuse the n00biness. A race called "elan" ... now I understand. <-- Not this Elan.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbert View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhh ... excuse the n00biness. A race called "elan" ... now I understand. <-- Not this Elan.
    Yes. Elans.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

also, can a level 4 psychic warrior take weapon specialization?
    No. However at level 6, he can.

I also house rule that a lvl 2 Fighter/lvl 3 Psychic warrior can take the feat, as he is halfway there in both classes.
    Last edited by Logic; 2007-09-11 at 11:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

10. - Top - End - #10

I try to avoid psionics ... that's why I didn't get it. Well, and because this is GitP.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

It seems to me that biggest problem for an elan to pass as human is likely to be watching his/her tongue and keeping a very low profile. Aren't they even older than elves?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm making an elan character with the inhuman reach feat. I didn't want my party to know that i am an elan, so i wanted to make a disguise check. It occured to me that if they were smart enough, they would wonder why i had really long arms, and possibly recognize me as an abberation. What DC would hiding really long arms be? What if you had a tail? I'm thinking an easier DC for stuff like tails (which are easy to hide) a medium one for stuff like long arms (fold them into shirt or something?--> but then to use them you would have to unfold them, then fold them again...so you're arms would become longer as you attack --> and that would be a seperate, difficult check) a hard DC for stuff like
    claws, and a really hard DC for stuff like a dragon's tail/claws/head.
    I highly doubt there's be any way to hide the fact that you can stretch your arms out if you use it in combat. I mean, they're going to see it. Now if you go with the 'snakelike/stretchy' description it's not a problem to hide them outside of combat as unless you're actively making them longer they can appear as normal arms. As for the 'folding' bit, if you have joints I don't really see how this is feasible.

Tell the party you're a wizard or that your ring does it if your character wishes to hide it for some reason.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

As for Elans, I've got no ideas.. But I'd love tricks to help a Kenku hide her beak. It might just prove useful.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could paint your beak and face to make it look like a metallic helmet.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hat of Disguise. Change self. Baggy clothes/robes. Ranks in the diguise skill. That's all I can think of.

My kobold artificer diguises himself as a gnome vagrant all the time (beard, hat, ratty coat, disguise kit). Don't ask me how it works in game, he just makes his disguise check and rolls with it. Part of the deception is the smell; people don't want to get too close to inspect his disguise very often.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    No. However at level 6, he can.
    You are confusing the Psychic Warrior with the Warblade, who always has an effective Fighter Level of Fighter + [Warblade Level-2] when qualifying for feats. PWs cannot take any feat that require fighter levels, unless they have those levels.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper