New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Good Deeds Gone Unpunished - The Discussion Thread (Unmarked Spoilers!)

Since people have started receiving their pre-orders in the mail, I'm starting a discussion thread for the new OOTS prequel, Good Deeds Gone Unpunished.

Some guidelines:

1. You do not need to mark or mask spoilers in this thread. If you haven't read the book yet, assume that you could come across spoilers at any point, and read accordingly.
    2. This thread is for the content of the book, not discussions about ordering or shipping or other concerns. For that, use the existing stickied thread.
    3. Due to the nature of some of the dilemmas in the book, here's a reminder that discussions of whether or not a character's actions are morally justified in real-world terms is not OK. If you want to talk about what alignment a character's actions would make that character, that's fine.
    4. Since this thread will obviously turn into an argument about Miko at some point, and those tend to get very heated, be aware that at any point the moderating staff might insist that the topic be changed/dropped, or individual posters may be instructed to stop posting. Basically, we're not going to let this thread get turned into a huge flaming multi-quote debate between two people.

So everyone, play nice and keep in mind that the thread is for everyone. Thanks.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Good Deeds Gone Unpunished - The Discussion Thread (Unmarked Spoilers!)

I'm impressed at how Thog doesn't have a good grasp of capital letters or pronouns, but a fair command over umlauts.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Good Deeds Gone Unpunished - The Discussion Thread (Unmarked Spoilers!)

Just a thought; possibly this thread could be stickied to make it easier to find, keeping it separate from the other (older) discussion threads?
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2018-08-02 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

4. - Top - End - #4

Ok, that was easier than I thought. Surprised I manager to get it all read before nightfall.

I don't want to sound ungrateful; the book is fantastic. But I'm a little sad that Lien's story was so short. She was my favorite of them all (not counting O-Chul's), and I'd love for there to be more to her story. Like the early days of paladinship or something.

They were all wonderful though. Well worth the money. The Katos really nailed down the whole fear of parenting thing. And the whole pregnancy thing.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-08-02 at 07:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

For anybody else who might have wondered...the new bonus page in O-Chul's story is page 84.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The banana is the greatest thing ever! I couldn't stop laughing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

The picture of Shojo and mr scruffy, is like the best.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

Burn the tree?

Burn the tree.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I loved Lien's story. I wish it there were more of it, but it's such a good story.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I loved Lien's story. I wish it there were more of it, but it's such a good story.
    The intro did say that while fleshing out the Azurites, the Giant wished he'd had more stories about them (IIRC, away from book at the moment) and who knows there may be another book sometime later, so I'm hoping for a Paladin Lien - The Early Days story.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    The banana is the greatest thing ever! I couldn't stop laughing.
    Such a short-lived research opportunity...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Yes. It's quite impressive how much it gets across, especially with only eleven pages.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #12

Having had more time to think about it, I'd also really love more stories about the Azurites on the tropical island.

I think I just want a sequel to this book. It's really becoming one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-08-03 at 08:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, the other creature in the Mr. Scruffy story is a Carbuncle, right? But they aren't listed as having the ability to teleport people -- or even cute cats. So what's up with all the teleporting?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    So, the other creature in the Mr. Scruffy story is a Carbuncle, right? But they aren't listed as having the ability to teleport people -- or even cute cats. So what's up with all the teleporting?
    Some write-ups (such as this one) give the Carbuncle the blink or dimension door ability.
    Last edited by Dr. Gamera; 2018-08-05 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Formatting italics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Not unreasonable to assume that this was a variant carbuncle with a better teleport (hence why it was being studied)--or possibly with its teleporting magically enhanced by the goblin who had captured it and surrounded it with magical runes.

Totally love that story--have read it probably 5 times. Amazing how much thought and emotion can be conveyed without words.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question for those who know 3.5E better than myself.

How much would Lien's ring be worth? In addition to Water Breathing, we know it has some sort of cold resistance built in (per #1031).

I'm guessing it's worth quite a bit more than the 50 gp reward.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xianthe View Post
    we know it has some sort of cold resistance built in (per #1031).
    It's more a required secondary power of water breathing if it allows you to go to the depths of the sea (where it gets really chilly). It also, presumably, makes you resistant to pressure beyond 1 atmosphere.

If anything, it's a subtle dig at the fact that every player and DM tends to assume the ring allows you to go to the bottom of the sea just because you won't drown, despite that being just one of the many issues the ring would need to solve.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Xianthe View Post
    Question for those who know 3.5E better than myself.

How much would Lien's ring be worth? In addition to Water Breathing, we know it has some sort of cold resistance built in (per #1031).

I'm guessing it's worth quite a bit more than the 50 gp reward.
    Can't find it, but...

Water Breathing is a 3rd level Transmutation spell. Water Walk is also a 3rd level Transmutation spell, not to mention very close thematically. A Ring of Water Walking costs 15,000 gold.

So... yeah, I'd say that was a pretty amazing gift. And a helluva thing to tempt Lien with.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-08-06 at 11:06 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

What I’d like to know is what the hint about Hinjo playing a prominent part in the plot going forward means. What’s his role going to be? I can’t imagine what he could do for the Order at this point, besides maybe acting as a point person remotely for coordination purposes, and maybe the odd spell and bit of lore.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    What I’d like to know is what the hint about Hinjo playing a prominent part in the plot going forward means. What’s his role going to be? I can’t imagine what he could do for the Order at this point, besides maybe acting as a point person remotely for coordination purposes, and maybe the odd spell and bit of lore.
    Well, O-Chul and Lien are going to report to him, and after that bomb was dropped I started figuring that he may respond in a much more direct way. It also goes towards that prophecy of Belkar saving his life a second time, as well.

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfFighterGuy

Hats off once again to Mr. Burlew! An excellent and wonderful piece of work.

I too really enjoyed Lien's story. I've always loved her sardonic humor and her story just makes her that much more awesome. Here's to hoping she doesn't die once OoTS is all said and done.

22. - Top - End - #22

thog is schrodingers antagonist
    Okay, Rich, I don't know what you've won, but you won something. Let me get back to you after the gut I busted laughing heals.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, so Mr. Scruffy's story implies that Belkar picked him up in the middle of a battle and their friendship began instantly, not developing over the months of resistance fighting. I know Belkar's a ranger and all, but... ah well. Rule of Funny.

Unless there were multiple times Belkar attacked wights with pineapples, which is arguably funnier.

...Is it bad that I'm totally in love with Lien now? And that I want to be O-Chul when I grow up? "...And mirrors exist." Twelve gods, he's everything I've ever wanted to be.
    Last edited by godsflunky; 2018-08-07 at 12:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

If OOTS were a real game, "I can't hear you over the sound of my nipples screaming" would be a great submission for Out of Context D&D Quotes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

the Mr Scruffy story is awesome. Not only does Rich have an amazing comic known for stick figures and awesome dialog, he can create an amazing comic with stick figures and no dialog whatsoever!!

And obscure monsters, too!!

Loved the other two new stories, too!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Good book, I think I liked the Kato story the best of the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    Okay, so Mr. Scruffy's story implies that Belkar picked him up in the middle of a battle and their friendship began instantly, not developing over the months of resistance fighting. I know Belkar's a ranger and all, but... ah well. Rule of Funny.
    It was already strongly implied that Belkar first met Mr. Scruffy while on that mission and not earlier.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    Okay, so Mr. Scruffy's story implies that Belkar picked him up in the middle of a battle and their friendship began instantly, not developing over the months of resistance fighting.
    If you hadn't posted that, I would never have thought that was ever ambiguous. Belkar went after Mr. Scruffy here and pulled him out here.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's an argument to be made (first two panels) that Belkar and Mr Scruffy were already bonding before Shojo even died, but there's never been an implication that they kept meeting during the time skip or something.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2018-08-07 at 10:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

While we're on the subject of the Scruffy story, could someone explain why Mr. Scruffy sadly leaves at the end? I understand he was annoyed at being abandoned at the bottom of the hill, and then met the Carbuncle's family, but the last page has me lost.

Unrelatedly, I loved the ettin. I'd completely forgotten about it when I read HtPGHS as a pdf, and it was a pleasure all over again.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

With the way count Durkula was just defeated I had to love this exchange

Saha Kapoor:The other option is to try and take all the empathy you've learned since you were 12 and cram it into Gin-Jun's head before dawn
    O-Chul:Thirty years worth in seven hours?