New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default What year is it?

One little point that I just noticed: in #1133 Durkon says that Roy was dead "earlier this year."

This could mean:
    a) Roy died in 1184, shortly after the Southern New Year and "a few months" after the Northern New Year. Durkon believes the current year is 1184.
    b) Roy died in 1184, etc., but was not resurrected until more than 9 months after his death, meaning he "were dead" during 1185, and Durkon believes the current year is 1185.

I bring this up because Roy's "7 weeks" comment refers to the Southern New Year (according to the Giant), but that seems inconsistent with it being months away from the Southern Near, so it must have been 1185 for some time now, at least since Roy was resurrected, but probably about 5 weeks earlier than that, around the time Haley left Azure City I think...

Does anyone have any better idea of what year it is currently in OOTS?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: What year is it?

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    One little point that I just noticed: in #1133 Durkon says that Roy was dead "earlier this year."

This could mean:
    a) Roy died in 1184, shortly after the Southern New Year and "a few months" after the Northern New Year. Durkon believes the current year is 1184.
    b) Roy died in 1184, etc., but was not resurrected until more than 9 months after his death, meaning he "were dead" during 1185, and Durkon believes the current year is 1185.

I bring this up because Roy's "7 weeks" comment refers to the Southern New Year (according to the Giant), but that seems inconsistent with it being months away from the Southern Near, so it must have been 1185 for some time now, at least since Roy was resurrected, but probably about 5 weeks earlier than that, around the time Haley left Azure City I think...

Does anyone have any better idea of what year it is currently in OOTS?
    It's still 1184 by whatever calendar the Oracle uses, since Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - by the end of the year.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Veldrina mentioned Winter Solstice in Tinkertown. If such date in OotSverse means the same thing it means to us, it should be about a week before northern New Year.

Belkar has 1-5 weeks of breathing ahead, depending on which calendar does the Oracle use.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2018-08-07 at 05:06 PM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    Veldrina mentioned Winter Solstice in Tinkertown. If such date in OotSverse means the same thing it means to us, it should be about a week before northern New Year.

Belkar has 1-5 weeks of breathing ahead, depending on which calendar does the Oracle use.
    Thanks that’s an important clue that I missed. Tinkertown was maybe a week ago, so it may be around New Years now. That wouldn’t fit in well with Elans “a few months” comment since there are certainly only a few weeks until the Southern New Year/Belkar’s last breath, but then it was probably foolish to rely on Elan for accuracy!

It would also mean that it’s not New Years yet and still 1184 because Roy needs to have been dead in the current year.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    It's still 1184 by whatever calendar the Oracle uses, since Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - by the end of the year.
    Yes clearly. No ambiguity there, but Durkon uses the Northern calendar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting Haley said "Early Solstice present" and I thought she meant a few weeks early or something, but Veldria says "tomorrow" and that it was the date of the Godsmoot, so yeah. I had forgotten that detail.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    Five weeks is also the Sphinx Pox incubation period, so that's the upper limit for everyone on the Mechane (plus however long it actually takes to kill someone once it finishes incubation, though my impression from Hel's description is that it's not a slow progression).
    Last edited by facw; 2018-08-07 at 06:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Tinkertown was maybe a week ago, so it may be around New Years now.
    Only a few days, I believe. The Tinkertown day ended in strip 990, the Godsmoot began the next day (at most +1 extra day since Veldrina had three day notice of the Godsmoot; but I think it unlikely). The godsmoot day ended most likely strip 1048, then 1092 is night the next day and Durkula was dusted in the small hours of the day after that. So, now is 2-3 days after Solstice, one week to go until the new year.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2018-08-07 at 06:25 PM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.