New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1132 - The Discussion Thread

Wait, why do durkon and sigdi have entirely different accents from the rest of the dwarves

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Every planet has a north!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It does seem like there's no real pattern to which dwarves do or do not have the accent, except vaguely in the meta sense of not wanting to overwhelm the readers with it.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So was Minrah using power attack?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    That leaves the question, "Why hasn't Good taken over yet?
    I would recommend as inspiration the classic Star Trek episode "The Enemy Within", where a transporter malfunction splits Kirk into a "good" Kirk and an "evil" Kirk. The "good" side was too compassionate to make a decision, the "evil" lacked all inhibitions. In your setting that could be why the planes never go to war: the good planes lack the desire to go to war, and the evil ones are too busy fighting amongst themselves to think that far ahead, and even if they did they could not trust their own troops not to mutiny.

Blizzard's Diablo game cosmology did have a war like this, but the battlefield was the mortal plane. Apparently it was the crossroads linking Heaven and Hell, so maybe in your setting it could be the same, that the mortal plane is the only Interzone where both sides connect: no skipping over conquering the mortal plane first.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeCoolMage View Post
    Wait, why do durkon and sigdi have entirely different accents from the rest of the dwarves
    Head canon: Sigdi was a Scottish dwarf who was kidnapped by Viking Barbarian dwarves. She was dragged back to the northlands, sold into slavery, and forced to be Tenrin’s wife. The Viking Barbarian dwarves have a Fargo accent (oh yeah sure you betcha).

(Please note that this did not happen.)

But seriously, one dwarf with a Scottish accent is very funny. Two dwarves with Scottish accents are kind of funny. Three dwarves with Scottish accents is stupid.
    Last edited by Dion; 2018-08-07 at 12:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Barbarian in the Playground

It would be funny if Tenrin didn't have any sort of accent, if/when we meet him in Valhalla.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    8<= snip >=8

But seriously, one dwarf with a Scottish accent is very funny. Two dwarves with Scottish accents are kind of funny. Three dwarves with Scottish accents is stupid.
    And yet a "brief" look (even though I need to go to sleep) finds Kandro and Hoskin in 1129 and Firuk Blackore and ...Rogo?... in 1096.

(I'm up because I just finished the new book and so I wanted to read the spoiler thread. By the way, the character appearance counting thread's newest posts have no spoilers, not even "Are you serious? You think that is a spoiler?!" spoilers, in case anybody's been avoiding it because they're as spoiler averse as me.)

Spoiler: Kickstarter story and/or _Good Deeds Gone Unpunished_
    Show
    (or Therkla.)

9. - Top - End - #369
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeCoolMage View Post
    Not the rest of the dwarves, just the ones eating at Sigdi's table. There are several ones at the Temple of Thor who shared that accent.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    It would be funny if Tenrin didn't have any sort of accent, if/when we meet him in Valhalla.
    We have seen him talk in #991. He did have that accent, and so did the rest of their team.
    Last edited by M.A.D; 2018-08-07 at 02:58 AM.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    ALL Dwarves are Scottish.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

11. - Top - End - #371
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    We have seen him talk in #991. He did have that accent, and so did the rest of their team.
    And even if he didn't, I'm not sure what would be odd about it? My sister has been married to a Scot for nigh on 40 years but I haven't noticed her speaking like him!

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm guessing Squeaky at least got a couple lessons on diction before leaving bard college, that explains one at least