New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Don't degrade Charlie like that, he may be the antagonist of this story, but I respect the hell out of him. There is a HUGE difference between getting more juice as opposed to smuckers.

He rightfully scammed every penny from other schmucks. He worked himself to the bone for years and years. Constantly selling himself, constantly negotiating, planning, scamming in ways that were always technically within his code of conduct. It was a dangerous line, because if he went too far, then he would make enemies of other kingdoms, and being seen as a threat is horrible for business. Plus, he did it as a drug addicted cripple. Even with the Arkendish, it's a workload that I could never imagine being able to replicate.

Unlike with juice, there is no printing press that Charlie can just get running to give himself infinite money, and his expenses can easily outstrip his income if people stop hiring his services. Have a little respect the hard work Charlie put in to make the money he did!
    Well, that becomes a lot easier when one has the arkendish for ultimate communications superiority. Being able to tap into everybody else's conversations alone is extremely hax.

Still credit where credit's due, Charlie did put a lot of effort in his business, including comboing his own cheatomancy with the already hax arkendish (whereas Wanda seems to have forgotten she's a caster and just been relying in the pliers alone for all her problems), and I would even add it's not 100% scams, since he did develop a pretty big reputation. Just the service of being able to send a thinkgram anywhere anytime makes a lot of sides willing to deal with Charlie, and he doesn't even need to cheat there, or at least not then, just keep building up big data and then make use of that to profit later.

Charlie's also smart enough to perform heavy hiring of mercenary casters to expand his abilities.

Which makes it extra sad to see how far Charlie has fallen when he went down to "kekeke rifle rush! Oh that failed? Send in moar rifles!" and is now at the mercy of his own tower whereas other rulers have all managed to get better relationships with their newly awakened cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Which makes it extra sad to see how far Charlie has fallen when he went down to "kekeke rifle rush! Oh that failed? Send in moar rifles!" and is now at the mercy of his own tower whereas other rulers have all managed to get better relationships with their newly awakened cities.
    Keep in mind that the casters who created these towers were unambiguously hostile to Charlie, so it's not really that weird that his tower would be the most unhelpful one of the bunch. A big part of the point of awakening the towers was that, on the whole, it would screw Charlie over.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-07-12 at 10:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Keep in mind that the casters who created these towers were unambiguously hostile to Charlie, so it's not really that weird that his tower would be the most unhelpful one of the bunch. A big part of the point of awakening the towers was that, on the whole, it would screw Charlie over.
    Although I agree that the mass awakening was meant to screw Charlie, I seriously doubt they could specifically rig Charlie's tower to be the most unhelpful, since awakened towers are a pretty new trick and nobody was very sure how they worked and what they could do. Plus the thinkmancer gestalt was dying and just wanting to awaken as many towers as fast as possible , so I just don't see how they could afford to do such a specific thing in such a short time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

4. - Top - End - #964
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

FATETM.

Or less facetiously, if 'Screw Charlie' was explicitly/implicitly woven into the spell as part of their intent in casting it, it's not entirely unreasonable that it would end up expressing itself in the final result somehow. Shirley just happens to be that expression.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Although I agree that the mass awakening was meant to screw Charlie, I seriously doubt they could specifically rig Charlie's tower to be the most unhelpful, since awakened towers are a pretty new trick and nobody was very sure how they worked and what they could do. Plus the thinkmancer gestalt was dying and just wanting to awaken as many towers as fast as possible , so I just don't see how they could afford to do such a specific thing in such a short time.
    Yeah, but they did it (out of the vast range of things they could have presumably done) because they figured it would screw Charlie over.

So it's not a coincidence that out of all the sides out there, Charlie is cheating in the way that Towers are most likely to get upset about.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-07-13 at 01:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Don't degrade Charlie like that, he may be the antagonist of this story, but I respect the hell out of him.
    He was a good antagonist early on; he had mysteries and knew how to keep several steps ahead of everyone. I remember when speculation was almost convinced if he was another Stupidworlder like Parson.

I don't think he ever recovered that edge after power was knocked out of his city.

I would seriously prefer going back to string theory discussions than another page about the towers. :/
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I would seriously prefer going back to string theory discussions than another page about the towers. :/
    This page wasn't even about the towers, nothing happened at all.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but look at it like this!

Now that they have a proper tower, they can go inside it and stand in front of the portal for a few hundred strips. It's not a real Erfworld story unless we have people standing in front of portals.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but look at it like this!

Now that they have a proper tower, they can go inside it and stand in front of the portal for a few hundred strips. It's not a real Erfworld story unless we have people standing in front of portals.
    Well, the sites down atm so for all we know Rob posted hundreds of pages of portal standing already
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

10. - Top - End - #970
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Here's my question though, when was the last time Parson was in the comic?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Here's my question though, when was the last time Parson was in the comic?
    Or more importantly, when was the last time he actually had an effect on the plot? It's been years at the minimum.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Or more importantly, when was the last time he actually had an effect on the plot? It's been years at the minimum.
    Not in comic time, in comic time almost no time has passed
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Not in comic time, in comic time almost no time has passed
    Well yeah, cause Rob needs like 10 books to cover a single turn.
    After all, every page needs to be followed by at least half a dozen interludes that show how other people, most of them otherwise uninvolved with the current plot (or any of the dozen others), react to the events about to happen.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ettin in the Playground

Parson is standing in front of a portal, and as we all know, they release fields that reduce the subjective flow of time to almost nil whenever he's in that situation.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

Parson is standing in front of a portal, and as we all know, they release fields that reduce the subjective flow of time to almost nil whenever he's in that situation.
    New comic is just 4 poses of flat parson in front of a portal making bad jokes Hamstard style

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    New comic is just 4 poses of flat parson in front of a portal making bad jokes Hamstard style
    They could do it Dinosaur Comics style, but with Parson in front of a portal.

Heck, that's practically what they're trying to do with the 3D models anyway. This plan is... so bad? I can't even wrap my head around what a terrible idea this is.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    Still constant missed updates and Rob makes a news post blaming the artist.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Still constant missed updates and Rob makes a news post blaming the artist.
    Someone should screen grab a few parson poses (bonus if they are vastly different art styles or different portals) and make this a thing.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I think it was a fanfic, but there was a cool story on the Erfworld site about somebody who majorly abused this process to drive his enemies insane and cause them to defect. Basically forced the other side to have a "day" that lasted years if not centuries of subjective time, bored out of their minds.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last edited by Doran; 2019-07-18 at 02:44 PM.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

21. - Top - End - #981
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    New images are miles better than last ones.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Nope. Not a comic, and not that new.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Nope. Not a comic, and not that new.
    I was originally planning to say page, but that fell under the minimum character requirement.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I enjoyed this one a lot more than the last few.

It also makes me wonder if Sugar has a focus on expansion because all Towers have that focus as their goal (as such is the inherent goal of all Sides, per the 'rules' of the game Erfworld is), or if it's an artifact of ancient Atlantis' goals and self-perception.

Jed doesn't seem particularly expansionist, but his side is basically winning, so it makes sense he wouldn't push it: keeping Stanley mellow is working to expand the Side.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ettin in the Playground

Jillian's tower didn't seem particularly aggressive or expansionist, either. And while, yes, GK is winning, Jed really didn't seem to care about their expansion or their victory - his only fixation seems to be on protecting the capital (which makes some sense, since Parson specifically awakened him with that in mind.) Shirley seems to care more about everyone playing by the rules than about winning (an ironic inversion of Charlie.)

This one is the first unambiguously expansionist tower.

Actually, a lot of towers are ironic inversions of their Overlord:

Shirley, the tower of the rule-breaking win-at-any-costs Charlie, cares mostly about propriety and making sure everyone follows the rules.

Templeton, the tower of the hot-blooded Jillian, is introspective and interested in gathering as much information from everyone around before taking decisive action.

And now Paige, a warlady who has concluded that Erfworld is a sucker's game that nobody should play, gets Sugar, a temple that wants to aggressively play the game in the most straightforward and obvious way imaginable.

Jed and Huehue are the exceptions, but even Jed is clearly thoughtful, diplomatic, and concerned about doing the right thing, which is a pretty big contrast with Stanley.

Huehue it's hard to say anything about because everything we've seen about him has been during one specific crisis; his determination and decisiveness certainly contrasts with the Caesar we got immediately afterwards, but that seems a bit weak - overall Huehue's ruthless determination is much closer to how Caesar and Translyvito generally acted.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-07-22 at 02:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

This one is the first unambiguously expansionist tower.
    Something (Fate/the will of the Titans/whatever) seems to have a thing for humorously ironic contrasts between the tower and their sides Rulers. In that respect, the one-province hidden side that just wants to get by in peace and write stories about the rest of the world is almost inevitably going to get a Tower that is a gung-ho military expansionist.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Something (Fate/the will of the Titans/whatever) seems to have a thing for humorously ironic contrasts between the tower and their sides Rulers. In that respect, the one-province hidden side that just wants to get by in peace and write stories about the rest of the world is almost inevitably going to get a Tower that is a gung-ho military expansionist.
    Yeah, I edited my post to note that afterwards, haha. Although Huehue seems to be an exception - there was a contrast right afterwards, I guess, but mostly he acts the way I'd expect a Translyvito tower to behave, ie. putting up a formal, staidly firm front, while being willing to cheat outrageously in the background.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-07-22 at 02:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    New theory: the towers actually represent the "player" and Paige's tower is a guy doing an ironman One-Province-Minor playthrough.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the towers' goals are each primarily to solve their side's biggest problems. The source of their theme and attitude I couldn't possibly speculate about at this point. Stanley needed loyal subjects, and not a side of just Decrypted, and he got the juggle elves. Charlie needs to better manage his drug addiction, and needed to get his capital back to level 5 power. Jillian really does need to assess her intel and figure out who her real allies and enemies are. TV desperately needed to identify and oust dangerous actors within the capital. It seems like the first thing on the tower's mind is the needs of the side.