New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1134 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Perhaps in the States. Mitch Hedberg had a routine about how in the UK they have "Smacky the Frog" instead;
    Is it bad that I ended up thinking of a different frog altogether?
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I thought Smokey was pretty universal. At least in the States. He says in a heavily forested state.
    In the 1960's, Smokey the Bear was a national meme/figure. So too were, I think, Rocky and Bullwinkle.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-08-15 at 02:53 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    And his "appearance" around Lirian's Gate doesn't convey much if you didn't already know about Smokey...though it's a heck of a lot funnier if you do know of Smokey, I imagine.
    Best joke in the book, I thought. I couldn't stop laughing.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Mitch is why I tossed in that disclaimer.
    I'm looking at Jasdoif's avatar below yours and I'm thinking, "And purple means, where the **** did you get that banana?"

5. - Top - End - #635
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I'm looking at Jasdoif's avatar below yours and I'm thinking, "And purple means, where the **** did you get that banana?"
    Dude. You gotta give me time to guess. If you’re gonna quiz me, you must insert a pause in there.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

No such thing as Smacky the Frog in the UK.

At least regarding forest fire prevention.

Might be the nickname of a very, very addicted wild-eyed loon somewhere in Nottingham...
    Caractacus

7. - Top - End - #637

Quote Originally Posted by Caractacus View Post
    No such thing as Smacky the Frog in the UK.

At least regarding forest fire prevention.
    Spoiler: That does explain some things...
    Show

8. - Top - End - #638
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

We are approaching unified field theory.

Thor wants to talk to Durkon about how Smokey the Bear oppressed the various flora which require forest fires for germination, e.g., fireweed, and therefore releasing the Snarl to destroy only the souls of dwarves who died honorably but had evil alignments but weren't chaotic followers of Loki will lead to Hel finally being happy, which will turn her into a gentle, kind, loving goddess who disdains to send pestilence upon the demesne of the Northern Pantheon.

I've figured it out! Come at me!
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

Thor wants to talk to Durkon about how Smokey the Bear oppressed the various flora which require forest fires for germination, e.g., fireweed, and therefore releasing the Snarl to destroy only the souls of dwarves who died honorably but had evil alignments but weren't chaotic followers of Loki will lead to Hel finally being happy, which will turn her into a gentle, kind, loving goddess who disdains to send pestilence upon the demesne of the Northern Pantheon.

I'll use a pointed stick. I am fresh out of raspberries, and the tiger's on lunch break.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Snails is, unsurprisingly, quickly proven right.
    Should have tried to win back some of those quatloos I owe Peelee. But I doubt there would have been any takers.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

Hel would have had a much easier time if only she worked an Alcoholism Is Fun themepark into the afterlife schtick.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    *Looks at the "Only YOU can prevent forest fires" sign*

But... But I NEVER ASKED FOR SUCH RESPONSIBILITY!!! Why ONLY me??? And not anyone else??? In the entire world? UNIVERSE??? NOOOOOOO!!!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_you

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    How DARE you call me generic and impersonal? NOW you made it personal!
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

How DARE you call me generic and impersonal? NOW you made it personal!
    Thanks for the blue text, because you're the kinda person whose rela views are os shocking, I can't tell when you're joking.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2018-08-15 at 07:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Bugbear in the Playground

In order for the battle to be equal, the weak party has to have moral access to every means necessary to react or retaliate. And sure, it is possible for someone to be both oppressor and oppressed, in which case their oppressors should get their affairs in order and so should they.
    And who decides which is the weaker party? Who decides who is oppressed?

Yeah, your reasoning is not so convincing when you get down to cases. An omniscient person may be able to know, in the abstract, who is entitled to do what; in the real world, every person can feel aggrieved and entitled to "every means necessary." As a philosophy for sorting out moral behavior, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.
    The only thing that matters here is who started it.
    Here we go again. Who decides who started something? The Roman soldier is a soldier by accident of birth: as a Roman citizen he is therefore conscripted into the army, and would be beaten to death for attempting to desert. In every sense, the soldier can claim to have started nothing — neither asking to be a citizen nor asking to join the army, powerless to refuse to participate — and yet, by your reasoning, that Roman soldier ought to be killed, targeting the only person in the conversation who can reasonably claim not to have started anything.

Your "system" is broken.
    Last edited by Fish; 2018-08-15 at 06:40 PM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Snails had done a terrific job shutting this down. It'd be a shame if we let that effort go to waste.
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #647

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Should have tried to win back some of those quatloos I owe Peelee. But I doubt there would have been any takers.
    I'll bet you ten quatloos that you'll eventually get those five back.
    Quote Originally Posted by hroţila View Post
    Snails had done a terrific job shutting this down. It'd be a shame if we let that effort go to waste.
    Seconded. Also, ignore that I didn't help at all.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-08-15 at 06:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    as a Roman citizen he is therefore conscripted into the army, and would be beaten to death for attempting to desert. In every sense, the soldier can claim to have started nothing — neither asking to be a citizen nor asking to join the army, powerless to refuse to participate — and yet, by your reasoning, that Roman soldier ought to be killed, targeting the only person in the conversation who can reasonably claim not to have started anything.

Your "system" is broken.
    Nope. The only people in the equation that didn't start anything were the INVADED. What are they supposed to do? Roll up and accept the invasion just so the precious life of legionnaire Epluribusunum is spared? Unacceptable. Why should an invaded party care about what fate befalls the invaders?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-08-15 at 06:57 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    And who decides which is the weaker party? Who decides who is oppressed?

Yeah, your reasoning is not so convincing when you get down to cases. An omniscient person may be able to know, in the abstract, who is entitled to do what; in the real world, every person can feel aggrieved and entitled to "every means necessary." As a philosophy for sorting out moral behavior, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Here we go again. Who decides who started something? The Roman soldier is a soldier by accident of birth: as a Roman citizen he is therefore conscripted into the army, and would be beaten to death for attempting to desert. In every sense, the soldier can claim to have started nothing — neither asking to be a citizen nor asking to join the army, powerless to refuse to participate — and yet, by your reasoning, that Roman soldier ought to be killed, targeting the only person in the conversation who can reasonably claim not to have started anything.

Your "system" is broken.
    I think who decides is obvious: The_Weirdo decides. It's a very neat philosophy. Anyone The_Werido likes is oppressed, and therefore can do no wrong. Anyone The_Werido dislikes is opressor, and, therefor,e ca have anything done to them free of moral consequence. Your problem is that you're looking at the system as if he decides who is oppressed, THEN decides who to support, when the evidence is that it's the other way around: He decides which side he likes more, then declares them to be oppressed. It's a neat little trick for someone who has no concept of nuance.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I think who decides is obvious: The_Weirdo decides. It's a very neat philosophy. Anyone The_Werido likes is oppressed, and therefore can do no wrong. Anyone The_Werido dislikes is opressor, and, therefor,e ca have anything done to them free of moral consequence. Your problem is that you're looking at the system as if he decides who is oppressed, THEN decides who to support, when the evidence is that it's the other way around: He decides which side he likes more, then declares them to be oppressed. It's a neat little trick for someone who has no concept of nuance.
    Not really.

I side with Hilgya over her family because most people agree - sadly only most! - that forcing a woman to marry is wrong.
    I believe that Thor owes the dwarves an apology because, on a drunken bet, he forfeited their souls. Most people here likely see betting other people's souls drunkenly as a Bad Thing.
    I believe that Redcloak deserves redress, redress he would not have gotten by asking nicely, because the Sapphire Guard killed his family and destroyed his village. Most people here see attacking villages filled with innocent people as a Bad Thing, and one for which the perpetrators should be punished.
    I believe a side that gets invaded gets to react because, well, it is getting fricking invaded. Most people have no issue with the right of, say, Azure City to defend itself.

None of these beliefs are outside the norm. Likewise, none of them depend exclusively on taste.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-08-15 at 07:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really.

I side with Hilgya over her family because most people agree - sadly only most! - that forcing a woman to marry is wrong.
    I believe that Thor owes the dwarves an apology because, on a drunken bet, he forfeited their souls.
    I believe that Redcloak deserves redress, redress he would not have gotten by asking nicely, because the Sapphire Guard killed his family and destroyed his village.
    I believe a side that gets invaded gets to react because, well, it is getting fricking invaded.

None of these beliefs are outside the norm. Likewise, none of them depend exclusively on taste.
    I agree with all of those things. I just don't agree with "therefore, you have the right to kill anyone even vaguely connected to the crime."
    Last edited by woweedd; 2018-08-15 at 07:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I agree iwht all of those things. I just don't agree with "therefore, you have the right to kill anyone even vaguely connected ot the crime."
    So you agree that it's not about "which side I like best".

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. The only people in the equation that didn't start anything were the INVADED. What are they supposed to do? Roll up and accept the invasion just so the precious life of legionnaire Epluribusunum is spared? Unacceptable. Why should an invaded party care about what fate befalls the invaders?
    No. You are contradicting yourself.

Those invaded Gauls have no rights because they oppressed innocent Roman merchants. The Roman Senate weighed the problem and decided to take action, as is their absolute right under the rules as explained by The Weirdo. The Gauls are part of an oppressive group. All of them. Men. Women. Children. Goats. All deserve death.

NOW the Gauls are whining that some of them are innocent. Well, boo hoo. That is not the Romans' problem. The innocent Gauls' blood is 100% on the hands of the mean Gauls who cheated the Roman merchants. That the mean Gauls might be all dead by now, well, that is still not the Romans' problem. According to you.

You have spelled this out to us here on this forum over and over and over. Are you having cold feet when the inevitable and unavoidable results of your own logic are spelled out for you? Or are you going to change the subject and run away?

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    No. You are contradicting yourself.

Those invaded Gauls have no rights because they oppressed innocent Roman merchants. The Roman Senate weighed the problem and decided to take action, as is their absolute right under the rules as explained by The Weirdo. The Gauls are part of an oppressive group. All of them. Men. Women. Children. Goats. All deserve death.

NOW the Gauls are whining that some of them are innocent. Well, boo hoo. That is not the Romans' problem. The innocent Gauls' blood is 100% on the hands of the mean Gauls who cheated the Roman merchants. That the mean Gauls might be all dead by now, well, that is still not the Romans' problem. According to you.

You have spelled this out to us here on this forum over and over and over. Are you having cold feet when the inevitable and unavoidable results of your own logic are spelled out for you? Or are you going to change the subject and run away?
    Eh. You have a point, but I really dislike ancient Roman-style characters and groups thereof.

There. Argument conceded.

To be sure, though, the Gauls are way looser a "group" than the Romans ever were.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-08-15 at 07:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

So you agree that it's not about "which side I like best".
    So, remind me: You're still advocating for killing civilians, even though they have no real say in what their government does, and are, if anything, oppressed in their own way? I'd argue the ideal solution would be to find Roman civilians sympathetic to your cause and have them help you as you throw off ALL the shackles.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So, remind me: You're still advocating for killing civilians, even though they have no real say in what their government does, and are, if anything, oppressed in their own way? I'd argue the ideal solution would be to find Roman civilians sympathetic to your cause and have them help you as you throw off ALL the shackles.
    Well, I'm thinking strategy. Or, rather, tactics. Your idea does make sense from a strategic point of view. From a tactical one - as in, faster - mine creates chaos behind their lines...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-08-15 at 07:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm thinking strategy. Or, rather, tactics. Your idea does make sense from a strategic point of view...
    I'm talking morally, and I was under the impression you were too. That would be the Chaotic Good option. You seem to be advocating for a morally-dubious and riskier option merely because it's easier, which is textbook Not-Good.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2018-08-15 at 07:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm talking morally, and I was under the impression you were too. That would be the Chaotic Good option. You seem to be advocating for a morally-dubious and riskier option merely because it's easier, which is textbook Not-Good.
    Ah, well, yes, sure.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh. You have a point, but I really dislike ancient Roman-style characters and groups thereof.

There. Argument conceded.

To be sure, though, the Gauls are way looser a "group" than the Romans ever were.
    Well, we're not getting a more clear concession than this, I think.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, well, yes, sure.
    So you agree with me that targeting civilians, even if they may be part of an oppressive system, is Not Good? That "turning the world into an FPS" is actually not a morally-Good, or, I would argue, morally-Neutral idea?