A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Default Spark to the Flame - An MtG Game (OOC)

Hello all and welcome to the OOC thread for Spark to the Flame. The IC thread can be found here
    [Campaign Reference Material]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running:
      DnD 5e
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be
      Planeshift (Magic the Gathering Inspired)
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
      4-6 players
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
      Here on the forum.
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
      Level 8.
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
      8000gp. We will be using Sane Magic Item Prices
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want?
      Anything from allowed sources.
    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
      Anything appropriate to your plane of origin. If there is not a planeshift article associated with the plane of your choice, talk to me and we'll work something out.
    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
      4d6b3 x6 but you may choose to abandon your rolls for a standard distribution: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
      Hit points are standard. Max at 1st, average rounded up after
    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
      No, we will be using the MtG Color Wheel.
    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
      Multiclassing is allowed and encouraged.
    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game?
      We will be using the forum dice roller.
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about?
      See below for the full spoiler
    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
      Yes, and will be my primary focus in selecting characters. Quality over quantity.
      Your backstory should include the events leading up to awakening your planeswalker spark.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
      Ideally and even split.
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
      You are permitted to use anything from Core, Sword Coast, Elemental Evil, Xanathar, and the Planeshift supplements, and I will approve Unearthed Arcana (or anything else I missed) Material on a case by case basis. Mystic and Revised Ranger are preapproved

Spoiler: Homebrew/Variants
    Show

1. Color: MtG lore is grounded in the color wheel. We will be using color instead of alignment. I find that it is a more interesting and a more flavorful way to capture your character's essences, values and goals.
    **Required Reading: The MtG Color Wheel

2. Action Color Points: Action points are not a particularly new concept. You get rewarded for good role-playing with action points that you can spend to do things better in the future. These action points will be awarded in color and are powerful, but can only be used for actions in the same color.
    Charging in headlong even at risk to yourself, for example, is a classic Red move, and might be rewarded with a Red Point. You can spend your points to grant yourself advantage on color aligned endeavours or to attempt minor freeform magic in that color vein. I will typically only allow out-of combat uses for this ability, but in rare cases you may be able to convince me otherwise.
    (This is also intended to allow non-casters to feel a little more like planeswalkers. You may not have the formal magic training of the others, but your deep connection to your color(s) of mana lets you produce some effects intuitively).

3. Planeswalking: We will not be making a planeswalker class or anything of the sort. You do not all need to play casters or allocate resources to be capable of interplanar travel, it is simply a fact of the game. That said, as planeswalkers whose awakening was partially interrupted you have a few restrictions (at least for now) for the sake of my sanity. You cannot yet planeswalk alone, it takes at least a minute to perform and it tires you out for at least a couple days. It is intended as an out of combat tool to travel between settings (acts if you will). Do not bother trying to find clever combat uses for your free teleportation.

4. Sane Magic Item Prices

5. Feats and Multiclassing are both allowed. Variant human is allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will be starting the game very shortly.
    This thread will be used for out of character discussion and feedback. As I mentioned in the recruitment thread, I am hoping to run this story for my IRL group in the future, and would really appreciate feedback on the pacing, mechanics, plot, etc.

For easy access, I would like to keep the character introductions, links, and descriptions here. Please respond to this post with:

Character Name and Speaking Color
    [COLOR IDENTITY] - [PLANE] - [RACE] - [CLASS]
    The link to your character sheet

[An optional character image]

A brief description (both physical and personality-wise)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfThyme View Post
    Juri
    Blue/White - Tarkir - Human (Variant) - Kensai Monk

linky

[PLACEHOLDER FOR IMAGE]

Juri is very easily identifiable as a warrior of some kind - even without the robes and sword that mark her as one of Ojutai's chosen warriors, she has the lean muscles of a warrior-monk, and the focused gaze expected of such warriors. Juri has a jet-black ponytail, and dark blue eyes that hide her intentions like the ocean depths.

Juri is, foremost, focused on escape. For now, she doesn't know the others, and she is primarily driven with returning to Tarkir as quickly as possible. That being said, she won't abandon those in need, but she also doesn't believe in recklessness.
    Last edited by Jangoose; 2018-06-17 at 03:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Spark to the Flame - An MtG Game (OOC)

Yeyeyeyeyeye

Arin of Thalend
    Red - Thalend - Human - Sorcerer/Monk
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1585292

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Arin is a slight youth of dark complexion, with untidy black hair and the hollow face of someone who's been malnourished for most of their life. He has a tendency to slouch, and rarely meets anyone's eyes for long. He is dressed in baggy, covering clothes like those worn by desert-dwellers on many worlds to protect against sun and sand, and a pair of goggles rests on his forehead.

Arin immediately comes across as meek, indecisive, and sorely lacking in confidence, a perception that's always borne itself out in the past. While he's helpful by nature and wants to be of use, his timidity makes him ill-suited to facing danger. He prefers to follow while others lead, and makes no pretense otherwise.

Should I be at all concerned about my ability scores being way lower than everyone else's? Not sure if this is the kind of game that'll demand a high-power character.
    Last edited by Amaril; 2018-05-28 at 10:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Liandra Gilladros
    Blue-White - Innistrad - Human - Paladin
    Liandra

[Image to follow]

Liandra is unmistakably a soldier, even out of uniform, she stands tall, straight and alert - her blade always within easy reach. Her face betrays little emotion, though her body oft-betrays her emotions.
    She prefers to be in uniform, though rarely does so any more, trying to travel quietly and unnoticed does not mesh well with the trappings of the Guard.
    Attractive by most standards, Liandra is a shade under 6' tall, dark skinned with light brown hair that she keeps trimmed to a little over should length. When not wearing the high-collar of her uniform she keeps a scarf around her neck to hide the scarring.

Liandra is an idealist at her core, though outwardly you wouldn't think so - rejection by her friends and peers has given her a bitter outward outlook, while she still seeks to do good in the world, she has realised she may need to do so on her own terms and has become less concerned with the methods of doing so.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Darevod Evolene
    Blue/Green - Kaladesh - Vedalken - Transmuter
    Darevod's Sheet

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Darevod is a tiny blue man with scraggly, thinning white hair. His age is apparent, but he still moves with a spring in his step. His robes are often grease stained, though he will clean them if it's pointed out. A heavy satchel rests on his back that seems to hold an endless supply of equipment, books, and assorted thingamabobs and shiny rocks of different materials.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Recklessly inquisitive. Even in his advanced years his mind often doesn't allow him to leave things alone if he doesn't understand them.
    Eager to help.
    Tends to assume everyone is friendly / doesn't realize not all people are academically inclined.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Radek Volinski
    Blue/Red - Ravnica - Human - Mystic
    Sheet

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Radek is tall and lanky. He almost always wears an old leather duster. His hair is usually messy, and more often than not he has a stubble.

Radek doesn't really have much respect for authority figures, and doesn't mind telling what's on his mind. He also likes to put on a confident front, even if he has a lot of doubts about the decisions he's made.
    Radek isn't ruthless, but experience has thought him to be pragmatic.

---

Also, I chose Ritual Caster feat for Radek. Is it okay if I spend the starting gold on some ritual spells?
    Last edited by Majin; 2018-05-29 at 12:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Dawn-Fang
    White-Green - Kamigawa - Kitsune - Cleric/Ranger
    Sheet

Dawn-Fang is covered in creamy white fur and has five bushy tails, each about three feet long. They have a pointed muzzle and long, triangular ears, which help make up for being on the short side. Their left ear has a notch missing. Dawn-Fang wears long white robes (with or without their armor), and sandals on their digitigrade feet.

Dawn-Fang is soft-spoken and hard to ruffle. They hold themself (and others) to impossible standards, and are loath to stand idle while there are those in need, which often leads to recklessness. While they are usually insightful, their tact leaves something to be desired, and they have trouble understanding that other people have different aspirations than they do.
    Last edited by Xiagu; 2018-05-31 at 01:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    Also, I chose Ritual Caster feat for Radek. Is it okay if I spend the starting gold on some ritual spells?
    @Majin: Yep, that is fine.

@Everyone: Alright, I think that's all of us for now. I will have Buufreak join the game in progress whenever they are feeling better and ready to do so. There should be ample opportunities during the first act.

Some additional logistics just so everyone is on the same page:

I am currently finalizing the opening post to kick off the IC thread, which should go up sometime either tonight or tomorrow morning. That said, I would like to try and establish a rhythm so things move along. Please let me know what your posting schedule will likely look like going forward, specifically your timezone, and what rough time of day you expect to be able to post most often. (For myself, I am located in EST and will try to post a content/progression post every morning with short answers/resolutions in the evening).

The first section should be more exploratory and less combat heavy, but when we do have to do combat, I will try and keep them short and sweet.

As a reminder, you do not have access to your equipment, at the very start of game (With the special exception of ability score modifying items such as the various ioun stones, gauntlets of ogre power, and headbands of intellect. You may consider these to be enchantments/grafts/augments etc. These items can/will never be removed from your person, but can be shut off by anti-magic)

Finally, at the end of the first act, you will have a last chance to make any final changes to your character that you would like to make after test-driving a bit.
    Last edited by Jangoose; 2018-05-29 at 08:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I work from home so my posting schedule varies drastically. CST time zone and generally get a post up in the early AM before work then sporadically through the day as time allows. I usually do not post in the evenings but may after 9p if I'm feeling insomniatic. I occasionally post on weekends, but again varies based on RL plans. You can expect at least 1/weekday from me.

Are my Transmuter's Stone feature and/or Luckstone considered to be on my person?

What is the status of spell slots/memorized spells, etc.?
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-05-29 at 10:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jangoose View Post
    Please let me know what your posting schedule will likely look like going forward, specifically your timezone, and what rough time of day you expect to be able to post most often.
    I'm on Pacific time, and will mostly post after 7pm on weekdays. (But I might post during work if I'm feeling irresponsible. )
    Weekends are a mixed bag.

@Jangoose: how much would it cost to get the Beacon minor property on my +1 sword? I'm 👀ing that Kitsune Dawnblade.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm on EST. My posting schedule is unfortunately a little erratic right now--I'm on summer break, so I have plenty of time, but I've got stuff going on at different times every day. One post a day should be no problem at all, though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm on EEST / GMT+3. I'll most likely be posting on evenings, after 19, at least on workdays.

Between 1-10.6, I'll be on GMT+9 time zone, and definetely posting on evenings.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Currently on BST (GMT+1), usually check forums at lunchtime, though the nature of my job means I can often do quick posts while at work. Otherwise I can check on an evening, usually once the kids are in bed (so after 9pm). Wednesday is usually my IRL gaming evening, so unlikely to be able to check on Wednesday evenings, or if I do it'll be later on.

Weekends are highly variable, due to family commitments etc, I can usually post on an evening on weekends, but I'm not going to guarantee it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

IC thread is up

@Xiagu: Beacon is approved at no cost. 1 Minor property and/or quirk can be included for free when added to an already magical weapon (except guardian, which is obviously far better than the other options)

@Miinstrel: No items except for ability score modifications (but don't worry, you'll find your equipment soon enough).

You may each begin with all of your spell slots prepared and available.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Was the liquid anything other than the consistency of water, and colorless?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

When you say it's dark do you mean there are no light sources present at all?
    How tall are these glass cages?
    Are they on any type of pedestal or supported in any way?
    Are the floors and walls made of stone? Smooth or like flagstone?
    The walls are all outside of the ward, correct?
    Does the ward appear to be a sphere surrounding our cages?
    How far up is the balcony? Outside the ward, correct?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Arcana: (d20+8)[20]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Ahh, sorry guys, we all posted simultaneously and now things are confusing.

Before we progress, we need to quickly clean up the IC thread. @Amaril, if you could edit your post to reflect what happened in mine, that would be amazing. (Namely, you accidentally knocked over a statue, and Darevod was unable to lift the glass.) All fixed, thanks!

In the future, I will try to make a "Post incoming" post when I start writing so we can hopefully avoid this issue. Thanks for your understanding!
    Last edited by Jangoose; 2018-05-31 at 08:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Whoops, looks like I jumped the gun on Darevod's spell results. Edited to have Arin react to the misty step rather than the mage hand. Not having him directly acknowledge knocking over the statues because he's a little too out of it and distracted by other things at the moment.
    Last edited by Amaril; 2018-05-31 at 08:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

To clarify, I'm not actually CASTING misty step yet, just wanted to gauge if it seems doable.
    I will note any actual spell casts in an OOC spoiler for my posts.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-05-31 at 08:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Whoops, looks like I jumped the gun on Darevod's spell results. Edited to have Arin react to the misty step rather than the mage hand. Not having him directly acknowledge knocking over the statues because he's a little too out of it and distracted by other things at the moment.
    No worries, I did the exact same thing and missed Miinstrel's post the first time. Thanks again for the speedy recovery
    Last edited by Jangoose; 2018-05-31 at 08:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Well this is delightfully confusing haha. great that we're all online at the same time though

I'm going to just sit tight for a few minutes and let Jangoose decide how this is all supposed to play out. Will edit stuff as needed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by miinstrel View Post
    To clarify, I'm not actually CASTING misty step yet, just wanted to gauge if it seems doable.
    I will note any actual spell casts in an OOC spoiler for my posts.
    Gotcha. If you're okay with the current sequence of events, lets say it looked doable, you tried it, and it didn't work (resulting in the data you got). I'd rather not have us all retcon it again.

I'll even refund you the spell slot I wrongfully stole from you :P

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

no that sounds fine. i probably would have tried it in my next post anyway.

24. - Top - End - #24

I admit, I'm really just excited to have Arin witness some actual, undeniable magic for the first time, largely because I find the idea of a character in a setting called Magic: the Gathering needing to have the concept of magic explained to them hilarious

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm slightly amused that it's taken this long for someone to comment on everyone being mostly naked, Liandra is certainly conscious of it, but with little she can do about it, she's trying to fall back on confidence and attitude.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

New priority: find clothes...
    lololol love this.
    I'm rather enjoying the "naked blue baby" image of Darevod right now. He's lived away from people long enough I think clothes are a tertiary concern.

27. - Top - End - #27

An upbringing in a post-apocalyptic desert culture where exposed skin is liable to be scoured off by sandstorms, plus body image issues, does not a happy combination make

Also, please don't feel pressured to have your characters pay attention to Arin if you'd rather have them focused on escaping. I'm purposefully trying to keep him out of the spotlight until he starts to come into his own--I don't want his personal drama to take up anyone else's screentime.
    Last edited by Amaril; 2018-05-31 at 10:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'm loving all the little vignettes from each of us doing our own thing right now. Arin's reaction to this whole situation is very honest for someone who hasn't manifested any powers yet. Fun to watch. Darevod's frenetic activity seems out of place in the Arin "storyline" right now, so I intentionally didn't have him engage with your question to help preserve that mood for the time being. Each character feels pretty distinct at the moment which is great.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-05-31 at 10:47 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by miinstrel View Post
    I'm loving all the little vignettes from each of us doing our own thing right now. Arin's reaction to this whole situation is very honest for someone who hasn't manifested any powers yet. Fun to watch. Darevod's frenetic activity seems out of place in the Arin "storyline" right now, so I intentionally didn't have him engage with your question to help preserve that mood for the time being. Each character feels pretty distinct at the moment which is great.
    Agreed, absolutely, and I think it makes perfect sense for Darevod to do his own thing. Speaking of which, just to make sure I understand OOC: Darevod is a vedalken with some form of dwarfism, right?

And thank you, I'm glad you think it's honest
    Last edited by Amaril; 2018-05-31 at 10:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

That was my intent yes. A bit ostracized because of it and forced him to look at ways to modify himself to keep up with things other people could do naturally like "reach high things". My idea was when his mechanical enhancements were ripped out of/off his body the things they could do lingered as part of his spark activation. Darkvision, Mage Hand, etc.