A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default [IC] AtS's Doomsday Dawn: Chapter 1 - The Lost Star

Southern Varisia: City of Magnimar, 4707AR

The city of Magnimar is a massive, sprawling settlement on the southwestern shore of Varisia, unparalleled in its size and economy, save for the eastern rival city of Korvosa. Since Magnimar's founding nearly one hundred years ago in 4608AR, the city has exploded in population, culture, and trade, making it a veritable crown jewel of the Varisian Lost Coast. Called the City of Monuments for its multitude of architectural wonders, from the three-hundred foot tall basalt pilings of the Irespan to the towering parapets of the Arvensoar, Magnimar is filled with a diverse mix of Thassilonian relics and contemporary innovations of architecture. Magnimar sports a unique geographic footprint; a city cut in two by the Seacleft, a massive rock wall that divides it into two sections, the towering Summit above, and the sprawling Shore below. In general, Magnimar's districts fall into place along this natural division, with those populated by the aristocracy and merchant class found atop the Summit, while working-class tradesmen, artists, and laborers fill the lower districts in the Shore.

In the southernmost district of the Summit, Naos, a motley group gathers near the eastern gate. Under the watchful gaze of the The Guardians, these adventurers meet at the ring of stone benches surrounding the Founder's Flame. The magical fountain of fire consists of a pedestal that supports a bronze bowl filled with green oil. A nimbus of fire burns perpetually in the bowl, changing to an arcane rhythm and cycling color from yellow to orange to violet to blue. It's here, in the flickering light from the flames, that the group awaits the arrival of their patron. Composed of an elf, a half-elf, a dwarf, and two women, the collection of adventurers strike up a quiet conversation. They wait for the arrival of Keleri Deverin, a noble of some clout and renown in Magnimar. She'd sent a letter to each, an invitation specifiying this date and time and place. As the late summer sun approaches it's highest midday arc, it's just about time for Keleri to arrive...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stuff your characters know about Keleri and the Deverin family:

Keleri Deverin is a scholar and aristocrat and the youngest daughter of Hobart Deverin. She's fairly well-known in academic circles in Magnimar and often works with the Benevolent Order of Scribes, The School of Four Winds, and the Founder's Archive, a couple of institutions in the Capital District atop the Summit.

The Derevins are perhaps the most laid-back of Magnimar’s aristocrats, and their famous (some might say notorious) patience with the commonfolk has earned the family’s leader the nickname of the “Simple Lord,” a name that old Hobart Deverin actually bears with pride. Equally proud of his family’s success with the Fancy Reefclaw as he is of his niece’s success as mayor of the town of Sandpoint, Hobart is usually highly involved in his family affairs. Strangely, he's been absent from several important engagements for the past few weeks, leading some to wonder about the current state of his health.

Your characters may know Keleri for any number of possible reasons - you're a fellow member of the various academic institutions she frequents, you're a citizen of Naos, you met at the Fancy Reefclaw, or maybe you're from Sandpoint and are friends with her cousin, Kendra Deverin. In any case, she's sent you a letter with instructions to meet with her and a "party of adventurers" to help her solve a problem.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-08-22 at 05:47 PM.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: [IC] AtS's Doomsday Dawn: Chapter 1 - The Lost Star

Sarina and her troupe had entertained for the Devarin's before, they paid well and didn't worry too much about the reputation of Varisian travellers, of course Sarina was struggling through her teenage years last time they passed through this region. Despite this Keleri had somehow got a letter to her, and she's loathe to ignore the summons of good people, if nothing else a little more coin in her pocket for a job well done wouldn't go amiss.

She almost itches to draw her lute and bring some joy to the room, but she's not sure how discreet Keleri wants this meeting to be. "Well, if we're to be working together perhaps we should make some introductions, I'm Sarina, folk-scholar and music-player."

3. - Top - End - #3

The most heavily armoured figure among the group clanks over and raises its visor, revealing - rather surprisingly - the distinctive features of an elf. "Salutations. My name is Cadrel, a wizard and a warrior; I assume that you are also part of the "party of adventurers" being gathered by Miss Deverin?"

Cadrel has met Keleri several times while he's been in Magnimar, though their acquaintance remains strictly formal. Cadrel tries to avoid getting too attached to individual humans, knowing that their different lifespans will only lead to pain on both sides. Their dealings have centred largely around their scholarly interests - Cadrel made sure to become a member of several of the scholarly organisations in Magnimar, and his knowledge on elven ways was of interest to Keleri. Conversely, her connections, and certain bits of information about more obscure human cultures, were of great value to Cadrel.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2018-08-22 at 06:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Tasha just can't stop looking around in wonder. For a girl from the small town, Magnimar is simply overwhelming - not that she would ever admit it... not that she hides it particularly well. Tasha's dress, with its bright red color and the asymmetric cut that opens her right arm and a good potrion of left leg, certainly looks striking and flamboyant... unfortunately, it does somewhat lack a sense of style and measure - but Tasha wears it with such earnesty and pride that few would voice objection.
    For Tasha, you see, it is the oppoortunity of a lifetime. Nothing ever happened in Sandpoint - and when it did, it was a tragedy, as in the case of Late Unleasantness... no, no, all the good, exciting stuff, stuff Pathfinder Tales told about happened i other places and to other people. Sandpoint... well, Sandpoint had Ameiko, but she was retired anyway...

So when Tasha heard - OK, OK, overheard - that Major Deverin's family in Magnimar is seeking for adventurers, there was absolutely no way she wouldn't jump at the chance.

"Oh, oh!"
    she exclaims excitedly, "My name's Tasha, and I don't really have a job yet, but I always had a gift with fire magic, and I read everything I could about Pathfinders, so..."
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, Cadrel," exclaims a russet-haired half-elf, "I didn't recognize you under all that armor!"

She pushes up her glasses and grins sheepishly.

"Um, everyone, I'm Ilnica, and I know Keleri from various book clubs and scholarly foundations and stuff... I've bumped into Cadrel at the same places."

Then she turns to Tasha excitedly.

"Aren't the Pathfinders great? I've wanted to be one since I was a little girl, discovering ancient lore and recovering lost treasures in far-flung places. So cool."
    Last edited by Rokku; 2018-08-23 at 04:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Rosa would sit and observe everyone. In general she found most elves or their kin to be frail, flighty, or "dainty" to garnish much respect. Some she had met that had a chance of earning her respect and she was hoping these would be of the good sort, if only because Rosa was here to help an acquaintance of hers. Given a gruff grunt to clear her throat she'd chime in.

"I'm Rosa. I'm a warpriest."

Rosa for now would remain quite after her introduction until she either had a drink in her or she got to know the others better.
    Last edited by SpoonyMage; 2018-08-23 at 07:48 PM.

~We cannot change how the dice roll, just how we play the game afterwards.~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"I know, I know!" Talla nods excitedly, "Oh, it's such a shame there's absolutely nothing ancient and misterious in Sandpoint! Anyone who wants some adventure just has to move away! I'm so grateful that Mayor Deverin gave me that opportunity to work for her family!"

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"It's a little late now, but don't underestimate the mysteries of small towns, they often harbor dark secrets or build upon ancient mystery. The person more than the place dictates what you run into. One person may wander the world and find nothing, another stays in the same village and saves the world."

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRogueGuy

Midday | Magnimar: East Gate

About five minutes pass as the group makes small talk. Finally, their patron arrives. Keleri Deverin is a bookish woman, about five and a half feet tall, with flaming red hair and fair features. She wears a salmon-colored dress and a white-laced cape, held in place by an exquisite brooch clasp set with a small round ruby. She rounds a corner, and hurriedly makes her way towards the Founder's Flame, lifting her dress as she continues onward at a brisk pace. At her waist, a small goblin clad in rags squawks and follows closely behind, clutching her cloak and stealing furtive glances at the surroundings.

Keleri raises a hand to wave at the group as she picks up speed and then she's there, slightly breathless as beads of sweat form on her brow from the exertion. She pants for a moment, then catches her breath, wipes her brow, and begins talking. "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting!" she says, her voice apologetic. "I'd imagine you're curious about the reason why I've summoned you here, so I'll jst get right into it. You may know my cousin, Kendra, mayor of Sandpoint? She's overseeing the consecration of the new cathedral in Sandpoint, and I'd planned on making the trip to visit her and bring an old family heirloom, The Star of Desna, to receive a blessing from Father Zantus. The consecration ceremony is to happen during the Swallowtail Festival a week from now, so a few days ago, I entered the old vault on my family's estate to dig up the relic. I found it a mess. Chests were smashed, shelves knocked over, and worst of all, the lockbox containing the Star was missing."

She takes a seat on one of the stone benches and continues. Her goblin companion squeaks in fright and scurries under the bench, cowering in fear as it stares up at the group of tall folk surrounding it. Keleri gives a slight sigh of exasperation before she continues. "As I made my way to the back of the room, I encountered a gaping hole in the floor, where the stone bricks had been caved in, leading down into the sewers below. Around the hole, I found distinctly goblin-shaped tracks in sewer grime. It was quite the mess. I was angry."

She reaches below the seat and grabs the goblin by the arm, pulling the small creature upwards to stand up straight. "It was then, that I found this little one. She'd crawled into an old armoire to hide, but I heard her quietly sobbing and searched the room. When I pulled her out and asked her where my family's belongings had been taken, she could only howl in terror and beg for mercy. Finally, I was able to calm her enough to get her name." She gives the goblin a nudge. "Introduce yourself," she says, flatly.

"T-Talga. Me Talga... L-Longshanks please help!" the goblin squeaks, clearly terrified to be out in city streets at daylight. "Drakus! D-Drakus is scary! Adventurers must defeat him!"

Keleri looks up from the squeaking creature and eyes the group. "She's easily frightened, and keeps going on about this Drakus character. She claims that Drakus kicked her out of the clan a few days ago when she objected to the stealing and violence under his leadership. She's terrified of him. Still, I was able to gather that her tribe, the Mudchewers, have been ransacking vaults and residences in Magnimar from the sewers. They've got a hideout of sorts down there, and Talga knows the way in. I did a little research and I'm pretty sure it's an old tomb, long defunct after burning down in a fire, called the Ashen Ossuary."

"Talga knows the way! But Drakus will k-kill Talga if she returns! Just like he killed Remo and Sarchie..." the goblin trails off, and tries to wiggle her way back under the bench, though Keleri stops her.

"Just tell them where to go, so they can be on their way. It seems like this Drakus character is the mastermind behind all this recent goblin treachery in Magnimar. If he's taken out, maybe things can get back to normal around here, and we might even get the goblins to behave. Well, that is, if you'll all help me out!"
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

10. - Top - End - #10

"Of course; I trust you will consider this sufficient to constitute repayment of the favour I owe?

"If you want us to retrieve your heirloom as well as disposing of the goblin, it would be helpful to know what it looks like. Star shaped, presumably, but could you give a more detailed description?"

11. - Top - End - #11

HalflingRogueGuy

"Oh, right! The Star - it's a holy symbol of Desna, made from Voidglass. Looks like an eight-pointed star, clear, but purple-hued, with one of the points extending into a long tail." Keleri gestures with her hands as she speaks, indicating that the relic is about six inches long. "It should be stored in a small steel lockbox, but gods know the goblins might have smashed it open... Is that enough to go on?"

At Cadrel's mention of 'goblin', Talga takes offense. She crosses her arms in front of her and shakes her head. "Not goblin! Drakus is hobgoblin! And vampire! And scary! Scary-bully, he tell you what to do, and if you don't, he kills!"
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-08-24 at 02:20 PM.
    My Games

12. - Top - End - #12

"That should be sufficient, I should think. Now, where is this Ossuary located?"

13. - Top - End - #13

HalflingRogueGuy

Talga hops up when Cadrel asks, and sprints down an alleyway. "In here!" the goblin screeches, her voice high and irritating. She's tugging on a sewer grate near the edge of the alley, clearly struggling to open the heavy metal grating. "Talga knows the way!"

Keleri laughs. "Well, it looks like Talga is raring to go. I'll see you off, if there's no more questions?"
    My Games

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Ilnica blanches at the word 'vampire.'

"Wait, a hobgoblin vampire? Before we go we need to get the right supplies! Holy water, wooden stakes... if we know what we're getting
    into and we'd be fools to not prepare for it."
    Last edited by Rokku; 2018-08-24 at 04:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sarina grins "A hobgoblin vampire, well that sounds entertaining..." she pauses at Ilnica's words. "Perhaps some additional gear may be wise - but I'm not entirely convinced this is a vampire we're dealing with."

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingRogueGuy

“Yes! Vampire! Drakus sucks blood with snakey-tongue! When goblins be bad, Drakus take ‘em to secret room. Next we see, blood’s all drained, and Drakus has bloody lips and fat belly!” Talga ceases her futile attempt to open the sewer grating and gesticulates emphatically towards Ilnica, glad that someone is finally listening to her warnings. “That’s why Talga lead you to hideout... but not go in. Longshanks kill Drakus. Talga hide!”
    My Games

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Snorting at the mention of goblins, hobgoblins and a possible vampire Rosa shook her head.

"Mudchewers...what kind of a tribe name is that. You'd never see a dwarven treasury so easily ransacked by mere goblins. You should hire dwarves to patch up that hole and build up your defenses so this doesn't happen again. I'll help you though as I assume there is some form of compensation for such help."

Rosa would take note of her gear and what she knew of vampires. Anything of importance she'd share with the group gathered.

18. - Top - End - #18

HalflingRogueGuy

Rosa takes a moment to recall what she can about vampires. She remembers several key facts. First, they are resistant to physical damage, except for silvered weapons, second, they have innate healing that can be thwarted by driving a stake into their heart, and third, they have an aversion to garlic and holy symbols of good deities. They cannot willingly approach within 10 feet of the object of their aversion when it is brandished.

However, something seems amiss with Talga’s description. She also remembers that vampires have fangs, not long, bloodsucking “snakey-tongues”. Perhaps the goblin is mistaken about Drakus’ true nature.
    My Games

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"Wait wait wait!" Talla raises her hand, "There's something wrong here... don't vampires drink blood by biting their victim's neck with their fangs? I never heard about one using tongue for that! What I'm saying, we shouldn't just expect holy water and wooden stakes to do the job for us... not saying we shouldn't bring them too, of course!"

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Told you it wasn't a vampire, we should at least scout it out and spend our money on things that will actually be helpful, rather than jumping at vampires."

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRogueGuy

“Drakus is mean! Drakus drink Goblin blood! Drakus is vampire! Talga see! Drakus drink Remo’s blood! That why Talga not go back to face him! Drakus SCARY!” Talga protests, practically babbling and crying.
    My Games

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Crossing her arms and then scratching her chin with one hand she'd pounder a moment. When she was ready to speak she'd speak her mind before she was ready to set off.

"Trusting the word of a goblin. I think not. It's no vampire, maybe snake like with a forked tongue. I will give the creature credit that I believe Drakus is mean. 'Tsk' who is to say he doesn't drink blood, but vampire he is not. The longer we wait the harder it will be to retrieve this star. I say unless we have course to wait we hear more about where to go and set out."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"You're right, that doesn't sound like a common vampire. Wait, the tongue! I know I've read about this somewhere..." Ilnica snaps her fingers and grins.

"It's a faceless stalker! They're shapechangers that like to hide and drink blood through their extended tongues. Their tough skin tends to absorb impacts, so everyone make sure you're armed with something sharp."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh! So, not only is it not a vampire, but not a hobgoblin as well?" Tasha raises her hands to her face and wiggles her fingers, "Something sharp... I think I've got it."

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingRogueGuy

Midday | Magnimar Sewers

After gathering any supplies they might need, the party follows Talga into the sewers. The dank, fetid air of the Magnimar sewer system fills the nostrils, unpleasant and cloying. Talga doesn't seem to mind - the goblin happily makes her way through the damp tunnels, practically skipping as she traverses the stone walkways and trudges through knee-deep (for her short stature) sludge and grime. She quietly sings a goblin song to herself, her off-tune warbling echoing through the dark sewer tunnels in an eerie fashion.

Before long, she stops, and points to a wide, round opening that leads upwards at a slight incline. "There! That is the home of Talga's clan. Mudchewer Tribe! There!" She coughs, spitting a ball of phlegm to the ground, then clears her throat. "Ashen Ossuary! See! Talga know!" She beckons for the party to enter the passage, which stands about ten feet wide and ten feet tall, extending into blackness. Talga points a wavering, grimy finger into the dark. "Talga not go, but there. There is where you find."

The goblin bids the party farewell and bounds off a side passage, quickly disappearing into the darkness, though the echoes of her splashing feet in the muck and the yelps and cries of her terrible singing can be heard for some time after her departure. The party presses forward without their guide, following the pathway until it widens into a larger room. The damp sewer passages have led to a slimy cistern that stinks of decay. On the northern edge of this circular chamber lies a pile of burnt bones in front of a scorched tunnel. The floor is littered with trash and slime and bones, seemingly discarded some time ago. At the center of the chamber, a large drain is set into the floor, covered with an old, rusted, thick-banded iron grating. The grating is set into the stone and appears to be stable and easy to traverse.

Spoiler: Perception DC 16
    Show
    You spot a pile of sludge that is undulating and moving in an unnatural manner. You realize that this is not just inanimate slime, but an ooze of some kind. It's dormant at the moment.

Spoiler: Nature (Recall Knowledge) DC 13
    Show
    This creature is a Sewer Ooze. They are barely above inanimate slime, and operate on the basest of instinct. It will not act until something attacks it or approaches within 10 feet.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map
    Let me know if you can see the map and if there's any questions. There are two tabs on the map, a legend that should explain what's showing on the map, and the actual map itself. Reference map coordinates when you make Stride actions and I will update it accordingly.

The grating in the center of the room is just normal terrain, I only marked it on the map for flavor.

Next, you can make a post or just send a message in Discord to let me know how you'll be proceeding as an Exploration Tactic. I'll let you use an appropriate skill for Initiative based on your answer. If combat begins.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-10-09 at 12:57 AM.
    My Games

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sarina reaches out for Cadrel and calls out quietly, "There's something there. See by the grate."
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2018-10-09 at 03:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing Sarina pointing at something to Cadrel, Tasha turns in the same direction, and looks hard until she notices a pile of sludge that's clearly moving. After several seconds, as she digs in her memory... "I think it's just a sewer ooze... they aren't aggressive, if we could just walk around it..."

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Do you know what they eat - it's a little too close to the entrance for my liking - perhaps we can lure it to one side of the room? I doubt they're fussy, maybe just throw a ration over there?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Rose sensing something and hearing the others talked about what to do would ponder for a moment. "We should kill it. What's to stop it from deciding to come up behind us as we move further in and catch us with our knickers down? Aye, we should kill it before we proceed. Since we know it's there we can better deal with it now than later."

Rosa was happy with what she had to say. Slapping her hand on her hip in triumph she stood stead fast like a dwarf barring a mountain entrance.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sarina shrugs, "I'd rather not kill for the sake of it, or burn our strength against something irrelevant. But I'll lose no sleep over it."