New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCIX: Leakier Than A Changeling Bathtub!

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Well? Don't leave us hanging here. Why NOT a changeling?
    Because "Low level Alicorn that ascended from hopefulness in a bleak situation with a special talent of hugging and an imaginary friend" made more thematic sense. (Little bit of power from multible sources, optomistic world view despite terrible circumstances, very affectionate, and not the only occupant of her mind space.)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-10-11 at 03:30 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Banned

Any recommendations for stories dealing with dementia, stroke, or brain/mental degradation generally? I anticipate needing them shortly.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    And it's not going to get better - I have prepared the MG moderns part of my catalogue, but that's only about 25% of the models. And shrinking the photos down (so as not to make the word file ludicrous) is a job that is tedious and time-consuming because of COURSE MS took out right-click "open with" as a batch option ages ago, specifically,. it would seem, to be complete asshats. Which means I have to manually open EVERY SINGLE ONE of my 400-plus model pictures into PSP with open with individually, and then resize and "save as."
    I thought that you could batch resize photos with photoshop?

Another option is Office Picture Manager. It allows you to select all or some pictures in a folder and quickly resize them. It is part of a free download along with Sharepoint Designer 2007. https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-4eca7b7c5730

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    I thought that you could batch resize photos with photoshop?

Another option is Office Picture Manager. It allows you to select all or some pictures in a folder and quickly resize them. It is part of a free download along with Sharepoint Designer 2007. https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-4eca7b7c5730
    Photoshop might, but I have Paintshop Pro (version 8...)

I can try the latter maybe tomorrow (or, as I seem to be having to do mesh work because Simplify is not co-operatiing with pritn stuff, at some point).

5. - Top - End - #305

If you're anything like me you've spent the past five years seeing a perpetually featured story in FimFiction with an incomprehensible name and a vague reference to Rainbow Dash flying east. It's a story with seven sequels, thousands of chapters and well over a million words. It demanded my attention at the same time as it intimidated me into not committing to it.

Well I've finally started on Austraeoh and it's fantastic. Fantastic. I'm a third of the way through it and grinning the crazy grin that comes with starting a million word story that you've instantly fallen in love with. This is gonna keep me going for months.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: thingkin' about celestia
    Show

On a different matter, I have lately been thinking about Celestia. In the Season 1-2 era, she was thought of as a master strategist who manipulated Twilight and the Mane 6 to save her sister and then the world a dozen times so that she could eat cake.

However, Season 5 showed that a rogue unicorn (Starlight) could travel back in time, disrupt the pegasus race and doom the world.

Celestia has also been Worfed in the show which further hurts her credibility.

Spoiler: Season 8 spoiler
    Show
    We also get indications that Harmony (using that term for the tree / elements / god like being) seems to actually be manipulating everything.

Starlight in Season 5 could have been manipulated by Harmony just to show Twilight the importance of friendship and get Twilight off her flank to spread friendship across the world.

If we want to take a very cynical view, Harmony manipulated Celestia into banishing Luna to the moon just to gain further control of Celestia for 1,000+ years.

This makes me think that Celestia is less an effective ruler in her own right. At best, she might be a puppet princess and at worse, just a fortunate pony who benefited from 1,000 years of good luck.
    slEEP DEPRIVED POST INCOming,

1. Was she though? I don't recall that line of thingkin' but then I stayed out of the fandom until s3 or s4. I certainly didn't thingk it myself.
    2. Starswirl and Twilight were both also able to travel through time. They just didn't muck up the timeline because they aren't dumb.
    3. A character getting worfed is more a fault of the writers than the character. Additionally, Celestia may well be suppressing her magic because she's surrounded by ponies she doesn't want deadand infrastructure she doesn't want destroyed. If Daybreaker is any indication of what Celestia is really capable of (dubious b/c it was Starlight's dream, but still) then there's a good reason she doesn't go all-out and blow the crap out of every villain.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think there's actual evidence for anyone but the tree directly manipulating anyone, and even then it only manipulated the skoolkids when they were getting all disharmony-y. Come to think of it, that episode doesn't make a whole lot of sense because the tree is all the way in some gorge in the Everfree, and I doubt Twily's school is that close to it considering Fluffernutterbutter lives close to the Everfree and the school isn't near that. Unless the chest was a "seed" and twilight's castle is intended to be like a second tree.

As for S5 stuff, it really wouldn't make sense for 'Harmony' to manipulate someone into causing disharmony to teach someone else about harmony, IMO. That seems really counterproductive and exceptionally dangerous.

RE: cynicism, or we can take a more MLP-friendly view and think that Celestia made a mistake because she was fearing for her and her sister's lives and wasn't being manipulated by a very-disharmonious-acting force called 'Harmony'. She was trying to salvage the situation, and if it had come down to blasting one of them very well could have died.

In conclusion I think some fair application of occam's razor might be needed. Instead of what-ifs that will probably never be explored, there is the simpler explanation that Celestia is actually a pretty good ruler, given she kept the nation together, expanding its borders and empowering its citizens and keeping it out of war as far as we can tell for a thousand years by herself. It's seen in-show that she's the one actually running the government, and even with Luna around she's still dealing with a large majority of it herself.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2018-10-12 at 03:06 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Three and a half hours running stuff through six different mesh programs (all the most common ones) to get Simplify 3D to get parts to print, nothing works except for the support-linked extremely expensive, limited-number-of-models-per-month download site and the Simplify support response is basically *shrug*.

Yeah, guys, that doesn't make it look like you have an under-the-table deal or anything at ALL, does it?

But I'm not going to give them both barrels today, I'll wait until Dad gets back from holiday and we can make a better job of it.

'Cos on top of Shapeways, still no word from back-up and now my fraking software showing the cracks and the only solution is, like another £60-£150 per year (and THAT limited to a set number of downloads of repaired files, for frack's sake) is ALL I needed.

Urge to kill rising much faster and much higher than normal.

Edit:
    And, true to form, it of COURSE only allows you of change the size of the image, not the resolution (i.e. the actual SIZE) of the pictures. I mean, when when you made a picture editing feature, MS, why you want it to actually be of any use ever?

*eyeglow twitch*

*eyeglow twitch*

Urge... to omnicide... rising...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-10-12 at 01:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    In conclusion I think some fair application of occam's razor might be needed.
    Why, when we can be as exacting and uncharitable as possible?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

And, true to form, it of COURSE only allows you of change the size of the image, not the resolution (i.e. the actual SIZE) of the pictures. I mean, when when you made a picture editing feature, MS, why you want it to actually be of any use ever?

*eyeglow twitch*

*eyeglow twitch*

Urge... to omnicide... rising...
    I might be thinking of another program, but I thought MS picture manager had options for pictures to be sized for documents, webpages, and emails. Each option changes the picture resolution to change the file size. A document sized image is 1-3 MB, the webpages is 100-300 kB and the email is 20-30 kB.

I'm sorry if I am thinking of the wrong program, but I cannot check right now.

Good luck.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

I might be thinking of another program, but I thought MS picture manager had options for pictures to be sized for documents, webpages, and emails. Each option changes the picture resolution to change the file size. A document sized image is 1-3 MB, the webpages is 100-300 kB and the email is 20-30 kB.

I'm sorry if I am thinking of the wrong program, but I cannot check right now.

Good luck.
    It does, but I need it at a specifc size and decent resolution and it doesn't give you enough control. (Typical MS, making unilateral decisions about what they think people will need.) I've half done it by this point, anyway.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Phew - finally caught up on Season 8 - is it correct that the finale hasn't aired in the US yet? Haven't seen much discussion about it in thread. A small perk of only having access to the Aussie version of Netflix (Still waiting on that Black Panther!)

How's ponythread been tracking? I've been lurking mainly due to the fear of spoilers, and due to real life issues taking up an ungodly amount of my time lately.

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Phew - finally caught up on Season 8 - is it correct that the finale hasn't aired in the US yet? Haven't seen much discussion about it in thread. A small perk of only having access to the Aussie version of Netflix (Still waiting on that Black Panther!)

How's ponythread been tracking? I've been lurking mainly due to the fear of spoilers, and due to real life issues taking up an ungodly amount of my time lately.
    I'm currently embarking on the grand project of finally getting through my bloated Read Later folder so my recent content is mostly fanfic-related. Started on Austreoh, AKA The One About Rainbow Dash Flying East That's Been Going For Ten Billion Years With Increasingly Incomprehensible Titles, and it's actually excellent.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Bugbear in the Playground

It does, but I need it at a specifc size and decent resolution and it doesn't give you enough control. (Typical MS, making unilateral decisions about what they think people will need.) I've half done it by this point, anyway.
    If you just want the batch-resize, why not go with something free like XnView?
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

According to IMDb, the US release of the Season 8 finale is October 13th (a few hours after this posting).

According to standing policy, we could start discussing the finale in approximately 3 days without spoilers. However, I will plan to continue to use spoilers for Season 8 for a while.

Out of curiosity, how many people still have not seen the My Little Pony movie?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Spamalot in the Playground

I saw all of season 8 through EQD weeks ago, but I still discuss when others post about episodes. Different air dates makes discussions a bit difficult because not everyone has good internet connections/Netflix. I remember a few years back logging on an IRC to chat with fellow viewers when episodes aired. Times change too quickly.

I'm still around. Real life keeps me busy paying bills.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Photoshop might, but I have Paintshop Pro (version 8...)
    I'm sure PSP had a batch processing facility tucked in there somewhere - of course, this was back in the PSP3 days, so it might have been dropped in the mean time...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I'm sure PSP had a batch processing facility tucked in there somewhere - of course, this was back in the PSP3 days, so it might have been dropped in the mean time...
    Actually, the time sink is more having to right-click "open with" one by one, since [expletiving] Microsoft for reasons of what can only be sheer bloody-minded spite and cosmic stupidity, took away the ability to do group "open with" as of Win 7, I think. Once it's in PSP, I don't really bat an eyeglow. (PSP is not set as the default, because it's not supposed to be the default. When things worked friggin' properly, I used the old photo viewer (and eventually the current one) to group open stuff (so I can scroll between them and delete photos I don't want and stuff - can't do that in PSP as fast), close that and then I could just right-click in explorer with whatever was left, "open with" PSP with the group and then rename/resize. save to .png not .jpg (etc). Now that intermediate step is having to do it one by freaking one.)

On the plus side - as I needed to do SOMETHING that wasn't frickin' admin arsing about this week, I followed the logic of the GLA re-using everyone's old gear by nicking and recycling the poses for the infantry off the Tarrainian Federation and Aotrs and just using three-point assemble to paste the GLA parts on them instead. (As for humanoids, I have a default "human form" I made the first time and just re-use with a different helmet, guns shoulder pads etc (the GLA have none of those, but it worked well enough with the techical). As a result, I have got six GLA troopers done inside a couple of hours at most (and that included the time to set up the stuff, fix a few messes and customise the helmet and make the GLA AK-447 rifles. (Based on you shouldn't even have to guess, and of course SOLELY so that I can shout "AK-447s! for everyone!") The GLA are going to want a fair few infantry (so they can have some big hordes...!) So this reduces my time (I have to get the GLA done and PAINTED before the 1st of December when the next convention is!) by essentially giving a load of ready-made rank-and-file.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-10-13 at 09:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: S8 Finale
    Show
    Overall, liked these episodes, though not as good as some of the other finales. There were a lot of funny moments, particularly Pinkie annoying Tirek, and Rarity griping about her lack of magic. Cozy Glow was a decent villain, though I'm not sure she has the menace of Chrysalis or Tirek. I think we might be seeing her again though...

I really hope next season doesn't leak like this; Cozy Glow would've been much better if it wasn't spoiled so thoroughly.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Actually, the time sink is more having to right-click "open with" one by one, since [expletiving] Microsoft for reasons of what can only be sheer bloody-minded spite and cosmic stupidity, took away the ability to do group "open with" as of Win 7, I think. Once it's in PSP, I don't really bat an eyeglow. (PSP is not set as the default, because it's not supposed to be the default. When things worked friggin' properly, I used the old photo viewer (and eventually the current one) to group open stuff (so I can scroll between them and delete photos I don't want and stuff - can't do that in PSP as fast), close that and then I could just right-click in explorer with whatever was left, "open with" PSP with the group and then rename/resize. save to .png not .jpg (etc). Now that intermediate step is having to do it one by freaking one.)
    I don't know if it will work in your case, but try starting PSP, then selecting all the pictures you want to open in explorer and dragging them on to the active PSP session.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Show
    Overall, liked these episodes, though not as good as some of the other finales. There were a lot of funny moments, particularly Pinkie annoying Tirek, and Rarity griping about her lack of magic. Cozy Glow was a decent villain, though I'm not sure she has the menace of Chrysalis or Tirek. I think we might be seeing her again though...

I really hope next season doesn't leak like this; Cozy Glow would've been much better if it wasn't spoiled so thoroughly.
    Spoiler: School Raze
    Show
    Eh, Cozy Glow being a villain wasn't exactly a twist, it was obvious from the shot in "Marks for Effort" with the Element of Magic in her eyes, and only got clearer when she instigated the conflict in "What Lies Beneath." There's foreshadowing, and then there's. . . that.

What gets me is FiM's odd ethics about who deserves forgiveness and who deserves punishment. The set-in-his-ways bigot and the bloody-minded ideologue deserve (and are, even more oddly, open to) forgiveness, but the small child doesn't and isn't? And, at the present moment when such an image is especially resonant, is separated from her parents and locked in a cage in something that actually resembles a secure prison? The hell?

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Eh, Cozy Glow being a villain wasn't exactly a twist, it was obvious from the shot in "Marks for Effort" with the Element of Magic in her eyes, and only got clearer when she instigated the conflict in "What Lies Beneath." There's foreshadowing, and then there's. . . that.

What gets me is FiM's odd ethics about who deserves forgiveness and who deserves punishment. The set-in-his-ways bigot and the bloody-minded ideologue deserve (and are, even more oddly, open to) forgiveness, but the small child doesn't and isn't? And, at the present moment when such an image is especially resonant, is separated from her parents and locked in a cage in something that actually resembles a secure prison? The hell?
    Show
    Lets be fair though - Cozy Glow not only threatened not just Equestria but the entire planet with no magic, which would have been fatal in a way even Nightmare Moon's eternal night worst case scenario would not have done, and was utterly unrepentant, she did so WHILE USING what is essentially their best defense system to do it after studying directly under the primary manifestation of said defense system that does all the redeeming and was not affected in the slightest; so serious it was, the Tree of Harmony had to get of it's lazy fat arse and directly intervene personally.

It is, as they say, about as serious as you can get while "attempted" is still applicable.

It'd be like, someone weaponising... I dunno.. weaponising Strictly or Coronation Street or Eastenders or whatever a sizeable majority of people in the UK watch or whatever in a way that would eliminate electricity from the entire world forever or something.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The relevant difference, I think, is that Cozy Glow was not mistaken, or ignorant, or close-minded, or anything along those lines. She knew all about friendship, cooperation, forgiveness, etc., and she knowingly decided to abuse it as a tool to further her ambitions for power. And when she was stopped and her error was specifically explained to her - that power is not the reason to pursue friendship - she remained completely unrepentant, taking no lesson from her defeat beyond that her plan had failed.

To quote a certain ghostly paladin, "True redemption demands that you seek forgiveness for your past misdeeds. That you atone for the actions that caused the [Tree of Harmony/school/Princesses/etc.] to turn away from you. That you even acknowledge that you could, in fact, be wrong. [Cozy Glow has] done none of this."

They could have tried to convince her to do that, true, but almost everything they would have used were things that she already knew - and she had just demonstrated that she was an excellent actor, so they'd have a very hard time telling if any atonement was genuine.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-10-13 at 06:28 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #323
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The relevant difference, I think, is that Cozy Glow was not mistaken, or ignorant, or close-minded, or anything along those lines. She knew all about friendship, cooperation, forgiveness, etc., and she knowingly decided to abuse it as a tool to further her ambitions for power. And when she was stopped and her error was specifically explained to her - that power is not the reason to pursue friendship - she remained completely unrepentant, taking no lesson from her defeat beyond that her plan had failed.

To quote a certain ghostly paladin, "True redemption demands that you seek forgiveness for your past misdeeds. That you atone for the actions that caused the [Tree of Harmony/school/Princesses/etc.] to turn away from you. That you even acknowledge that you could, in fact, be wrong. [Cozy Glow has] done none of this."
    Show
    And in a vacuum, all that would be fine. But my point was to the kind of people FiM thinks are capable of acknowledging that they are wrong and are open to seeking forgiveness, and the kinds of people FiM thinks are not. The most close-minded types of people, the aged and ancient, the utterly alien, the committed ideological faithful, the bigots - these FiM thinks you can reach. The people with developing egos and ideas, who typically crave approval from authority, it thinks you cannot. It's bizarre and backwards as a whole worldview, merits of each individual case aside.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Show
    And in a vacuum, all that would be fine. But my point was to the kind of people FiM thinks are capable of acknowledging that they are wrong and are open to seeking forgiveness, and the kinds of people FiM thinks are not. The most close-minded types of people, the aged and ancient, the utterly alien, the committed ideological faithful, the bigots - these FiM thinks you can reach. The people with developing egos and ideas, who typically crave approval from authority, it thinks you cannot. It's bizarre and backwards as a whole worldview, merits of each individual case aside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cozy Glow wasn't wrong. She simply chose to do something horrible, knowing full well that it was horrible and those in authority would oppose it, because she wanted what she thought it would get her.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

25. - Top - End - #325
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cozy Glow wasn't wrong.
    Show
    Don't play semantic games. You quoted Soon, so I did the same in counterpoint. If that quote isn't perfectly on point, that's not on me.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Why, when we can be as exacting and uncharitable as possible?
    Because what-ifs aren't exacting and some of us aren't terrible people
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

27. - Top - End - #327

Dear Princess Celestia.

Today I tried cider(hard cider, to my fellow Americans)

I have noted that it both smells and tastes like spoiled apple juice.

Having tasted champaign, other sparkling wines, flavored vodka, spiced bourbon, cheaper whiskey of unknown varity, and now cider and fidning them all to taste terrible, I find myself believing that all people who enjoy the consumption of alcohol to be mentally ill.

In short: Screw you Dashie, your sense of taste is defective.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The people with developing egos and ideas, who typically crave approval from authority, it thinks you cannot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cosy Glow is neither of those things. She is not a child (she's just short, nor is the friendship school actually dealing with children but young adults, likely late-teens early twenties university age - the same, age, let's remember, I chose to become a freakin' lich) and her ego is definitely not developing (it's quite set in), and she craves BEING the authority.

Actually, to be brutally honest, I can see a lot of myself in Cosy Glow. She is another poster-child example of someone who is Evil because she CHOOSES to be.

Like me.

The worst sort, who are not misguided, who don't have a tragic backstory, who doesn't lack understanding of friendship, love or morality etc... One who understand all that perfectly well and chooses to be Evil anyway.

Cosy Glow is EASILY equal to Tirek in Evil, and it's a toss-up whether she or Sombra are the most evil characters in the show (canon!Chrysalis is also pretty high up).

She is not some poor, misunderstood child being disproportionally punished by the authorities. If you beleive that you are literally playing right into her hands, because that is exactly what she wants everyone to think. I mean, duh! Her whole schick is manipulation.

Like me, she would likely find that idea quietly hysterical, while she worked the fracking hell out of playing that angle for sympathy so she could get some hapless fool to break her free to try again and cheerfully betray said hapless fool whenever their usefulness had expired.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-10-13 at 08:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Cosy Glow is neither of those things. She is not a child (she's just short, nor is the friendship school actually dealing with children but young adults, likely late-teens early twenties university age - the same, age, let's remember, I chose to become a freakin' lich) and her ego is definitely not developing (it's quite set in), and she craves BEING the authority.

Actually, to be brutally honest, I can see a lot of myself in Cosy Glow. She is another poster-child example of someone who is Evil because she CHOOSES to be.

Like me.
    Show
    To be blunt, your messageboard persona is not real, and likewise Cozy Glow is not real either. She is a fictional character designed to make some kind of point. What that point is is backwards and nonsensical: we should try our hardest to extend forgiveness to the most closed-off types of people, but wash our hands of the kinds of people we are most likely to be able to help.

This matters because the way we deal with such people is not person to person, but through systems, which necessarily operate off profiling criteria. For example, we could imagine applying individualized judgment in bail and sentencing hearings, but we don't because judges get impatient and cynical and tired and we don't want that influencing their decision-making. So we impose guidelines and factors to consider. Obviously we impose them for less-good reasons too. The best we can do in such systems is not use backwards, unpredictive criteria.

Also, Cozy Glow is obviously designed to be a child. She shares the same body shape (and indeed wing shape) as Scootaloo. She was designed to be a twist villain. The obvious foreshadowing of her role and the spoiling leaks notwithstanding, her reveal was supposed to be a surprise. Making her a child accomplishes that.

Spoiler
    Show
    The worst sort, who are not misguided, who don't have a tragic backstory, who doesn't lack understanding of friendship, love or morality etc... One who understand all that perfectly well and chooses to be Evil anyway.

Cosy Glow is EASILY equal to Tirek in Evil, and it's a toss-up whether she or Sombra are the most evil characters in the show (canon!Chrysalis is also pretty high up).

She is not some poor, misunderstood child being disproportionally punished by the authorities. If you beleive that you are literally playing right into her hands, because that is exactly what she wants everyone to think. I mean, duh! Her whole schick is manipulation.

Like me, she would likely find that idea quietly hysterical, while she worked the fracking hell out of playing that angle for sympathy so she could get some hapless fool to break her free to try again and cheerfully betray said hapless fool whenever their usefulness had expired.
    Show
    This is a level of argument I am quite frankly not interested in. Certainly, Cozy Glow was written to be an unrepentant, sociopathic (putting aside the fact that you definitionally can't diagnose children with sociopathy) monster with whom society can only reasonably deal by confinement. Nobody seriously disputes that. What I wonder is why the staff would choose to present her that way. And particularly, why they would choose to present her that way while choosing to present other, more obviously awful sorts of people, as open to the magic of friendship. Did they not think about the kind of message they would send? Did they just get tired of hearing fans complain about redeeming all the villains and write her as a "take that?"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Show

Show
    I'll agree here. I had thought (hoped) that Cosy was Chryssi's student. Perhaps a changeling she found that remained loyal to her so she's raising her to be her right-hoof "dragon".

Show
    Show
    Yeah... putting a child in a cage is pretty gutsy of the show to do. Cause she's just a filly with the wrong idea of friendship. Didn't they used to have the Elements to blast the evil out of baddies? Is that not a thing? Because at least that doesn't have the dark implications that the Equestrian justice system just revealed. :o

Show
    Lets be fair though - Cozy Glow not only threatened not just Equestria but the entire planet with no magic, which would have been fatal in a way even Nightmare Moon's eternal night worst case scenario would not have done, and was utterly unrepentant, she did so WHILE USING what is essentially their best defense system to do it after studying directly under the primary manifestation of said defense system that does all the redeeming and was not affected in the slightest; so serious it was, the Tree of Harmony had to get of it's lazy fat arse and directly intervene personally.
    Show
    Starlight Glimmer threatened the space-time continuum by messing with time magic. The final bad-future we saw was a dusty wasteland of ash and sand. And all because her best friend and her didn't keep in touch when he moved away! Yet, Glimmer is getting free room/board and lessons from a princess while cozy spends an unknown amount of time in the second worst prison Equestria can offer.

This justice system is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Dear Princess Celestia.
    Today I tried cider(hard cider, to my fellow Americans)
    You kind of need to have the stomach for alcohol to try hard cider. But now you know it's not for you. ^^;

I'm more of a rum stallion myself.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races