New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCIX: Leakier Than A Changeling Bathtub!

Spoiler: S8E25-26 School Raze
    Show
    I know someone is going to bring up the fate of Cozy Glow versus Starlight Glimmer. I'm just going to quote a poster from the Fimfiction reaction thread because they spelled it out quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja666
    knew the Starlight comparisons would come up. For me there's three main points that differentiate them.

1. Starlight in the past wasn't trying to destroy Equestria. She didn't know what her actions were doing, and learning the extent of what she was doing to time broke her mind and set her down the path to stopping.
    2. Starlight stopped on her own. If you go back and look at what Twilight said, she doesn't actually offer Starlight anything other than hope. She doesn't offer Star friends, nor does she say she'll be Star's friend. She just offers Star the hope that things could get better.
    3. After reforming, Starlight became a student of friendship. Cozy WAS a student of friendship already. For months. She learned enough that she was passing all of her tests with flying colours and was a picture perfect student, and yet apparently none of it stuck. At all. She sat through hours of honesty classes with AJ, acing the exams, and yet she could still effortlessly lie through her teeth without remorse. She knew how important all that stuff was. She just didn't care.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

currently in the middle of Episode 25. And just want to post this here before it's too late.

Spoiler: School Raise pt 1
    Show

Me every time Cozy Glow is onscreen:

Spoiler
    Show

Incidentally if anyone knows where i can find that image as a gif, that'd be much appreciated
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I understand the Mary Dahl/Baby Doll references for Cozy Glow now. Kind of obvious, really.

Spoiler: Not to be read if you haven't seen the finale.
    Show
    One of her common tactics in Batman is to work with a bigger villain. Most famously Killer Croc in BTAS. So they were hinting she was an agent for someone else. Chrysalis was a little too obvious a candidate, as well. Tirek never occurred to me.
    Spoiler: School Raze
    Show
    Chrysalis seemed obvious because she got an episode half-way through the season showing that she's plotting revenge on Starlight. I had mentioned that when the Mane6 went off to Tartarus, the setup was perfect for Chrysalis to strike Starlight at the school. Nothing in the season pointed at Tirek being behind it all. In fact, how does he even send Cozy glow letters from his prison cell?

I prefer foreshadowing leading up to the reveal, which is why I was rooting for Chrysalis to show up as the bigger bad.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Better get to catchon' up sharpish, since everypony else is coming up on the finale...

Spoiler: s8e23
    Show
    This was a GREAT episode.

I mean, fantastic.

AJ and Fluttershy were on top form - the writers remembered Fluttershy has had character development in the last eight seasons, which they don't always.

The Kirin.

Oh my the Kirin. THIS is what we should have more of in the movie. They were great. Their designs were amazing.

A near-pony ananlogue species with their own magic (which was really cool, I loved the way their horn band lit up when they used their fields, and that they had fields like unicorns). And then they have the magic anger transformation, which is also REALLY COOL.

And they even had their species avatar-ruler Celestia analogue (Rain Shadow, was it or something.)

Auumn Blaze was clearly Kirin!Pinkie Pie and she was hilarious. I very rarely take to characters quickly but she had me from that first monologue in a way that quite a lot of the main characters didn't, even.

It was even a nice, different take on the message.

Brilliant.

Like "contender for best episode this season" brilliant.

More of this please - heck, I'll settle for more Autumn Blaze.

(Oh, and the language is offically Ponish. And apparently Applejack subscribes to the English school of thought about Talking To Foreigners. Which is also hilarious.)

Back through thread...

What, no discussion on this one? What? Just a little mention by digo? Really?

Seriously, you ponies?

Oh, Meto, is you haven't you need to watch this one, I need to see you Art the new species therein...

Speaking of Art, did anypony have any addition thought on the revision to the elenthnar infantry last page?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-09-10 at 07:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Show

I mean, fantastic.

AJ and Fluttershy were on top form - the writers remembered Fluttershy has had character development in the last eight seasons, which they don't always.

The Kirin.

Oh my the Kirin. THIS is what we should have more of in the movie. They were great. Their designs were amazing.

A near-pony ananlogue species with their own magic (which was really cool, I loved the way their horn band lit up when they used their fields, and that they had fields like unicorns). And then they have the magic anger transformation, which is also REALLY COOL.

And they even had their species avatar-ruler Celestia analogue (Rain Shadow, was it or something.)

Auumn Blaze was clearly Kirin!Pinkie Pie and she was hilarious. I very rarely take to characters quickly but she had me from that first monologue in a way that quite a lot of the main characters didn't, even.

Brilliant.

(Oh, and the language is offically Ponish. And apparently Applejack subscribes to the English school of thought about Talking To Foreigners. Which is also hilarious.)

Back through thread...

Seriously, you ponies?
    Perhaps most ponies are waiting for the North American broadcast, which is on... September 29th I think.

Spoiler: Ep 23, Sound of Silence
    Show
    This episode is easily going in my top 3 this season. The kirin are adorable critters, and I still maintain they stole the name Autumn Blaze from local ponythreader RC. Oh, and the name you're looking for on the kirin leader is Rain Shine. She's cool, though I dunno why everyone is stealing Celestia's height shtick for their leadership. Maybe the writer is an Invader Zim fan? My fav color combo kirin goes to that chocolate one with the minty-green mane.

Interesting that you call the magical manipulation ability "Fields". I call it Ponykinesis, cause that word just sounds cool. anyway, what did you think of Autumn's song? I found it to be a good one.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2018-09-10 at 09:07 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

Better get to catchon' up sharpish, since everypony else is coming up on the finale...

Seriously, you ponies?
    Some of us are waiting on the US release

7. - Top - End - #127

Some of us lack the patience. Or just had a weekend home with the flu.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: S8E24 Father Knows Beast
    Show
    • Good job offering Rainbow Dash as an instructor. I can respect Spike’s choice not to accept, but it is good that they acknowledged that choice.
    • Also, another good point saying that ponies and dragons fly differently.
    • Overall a C episode. There wasn’t anything particularly memorable. It would have been better if Sludge was meaner and unapologetic about taking advantage of Spike. Smolder could have just confirmed that dragons are jerks and will take advantage of weak creatures.

Show
    • 2 parter. Before even starting, I predict Chancellor Naysayer is going to attempt to shut down the school, the students are going to stop him, the tree of harmony will help, possibly showing the chancellor the error of his way, and Cozy Glow will be confirmed evil (and possible reformed at the end).
    • And there is Chrysallis. The eyes and body look kind of like Cadence. I don’t think the body is supposed to be a mash up of the 4 (possibly 5 with Flurry Heart) princesses, but that would have been an interesting touch.
    • I know that Yona probably fell through the cloud because of her weight, but I have an alternate theory. What if Yaks are magic resistant and Starlight’s spell wore off sooner than expected. That could give them an interesting characteristic that could be explored later and also explain why Sombra never conquered them.
    • And, not confirmed. Darn.
    • They at least acknowledge that removing magic would have a problem with the movement of the celestial bodies.
    • And what is Cadence doing there?
    • I thought that Alicorn magic could not be destroyed thus the problem with Tirek.
    • There is one option to potentially protect your magic. Invade Canterlot High.
    • Also, you might want to ask Discord what is going on.
    • Why do the Mane 6 fall for the door closing behind you shtick? Pinkie Pie at least should know to install a door jam.
    • Chancellor Naysayer just installed himself as head of a school, with no prior approval, in a school that does not even recognize his accreditation board? Starlight needs to blast him, hard. Even Discord is not that bad.
    • Chancellor Naysayer believes (or at least claims) that the non-pony students stole magic from all of Equestria. And the penalty is to be sent home with their parents. WTF!
    • Cozy Glow has the evil villain laugh down. Hopefully she has a better back story than Starlight Glimmer.
    • 2nd part
    • Why can’t you get word to Celestia? She is only a train ride away. That only takes 1-24 hours as the plot demands.
    • Mob rule to kick out Chancellor Naysayer makes a lot of sense, and I fully support this. Maybe Cozy Glow wouldn’t be so bad as Empress of Friendship.
    • Pinkie torturing Tirek has to be one of the most beautiful things that pony has done in a long time.
    • That was a great ending with Cozy Glow, kind of an Arkham Asylum feel.
    • Overall, B+, it was a good wrap up of the season although it was kind of predictable. However, it feels like something was missing. Maybe ponythread can help me figure it out.
    • Also, I called everything although it did not happen as I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Show
    Damn Cozy Glow is scary.

Ultimately she only loses because the Tree of Harmony freed the Young Six. Some would say that was her own fault because the Tree only bonded with the Young Six because of her machinations in What Lies Beneath. But I'm of the camp that you can only call a person out on mistakes they made based on the information available to them. Cozy correctly identified the Young Six as a potential threat to her plans and executed a low-risk high reward plan to break them up that almost worked if a god like being hadn't intervened. Something impossible to foresee or plan for. It then looks like she made a mistake by losing her cool and ranting at Twilight on her defeat resulting in her being locked up in Tarturus. Then we learn she wanted to be sent to Tarturus to launch her Plan B and her rant was likely partly an act.

So Cozy played everyone involved and made no mistakes, lost only to FiM's equivalent to Divine Intervention and upon losing just rolls straight into her backup plan by again playing the Princesses into doing what she wants.

So far Equestria has been threatened by a Mad Goddess of the Night, a Reality Warper, a Parasitic Bug Monster, an Undead Mage King, a Magic Eating Demon Centaur, a ludicrously overpowered Unicorn Prodigy, a Possessing Shadow Creature from outside reality, the largest and most powerful Army in the world, and of all of them a Small Ordinary Pegasus was the most dangerous.
    Spoiler: S8E26 Response
    Show
    This, so much this.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: Ep 25/26 - School Raze
    Show
    This season finale is a pretty good example of canon becoming inconsistent when you change your writing staff. More on that later...

Rainbow Dash takes her class on a field Trip and Starlight tags along to use the cloud-walking spell (a nice call back). There's a line said by Ocellus that she's never walked on clouds before, so that's a little piece of worldbuilding there; changelings don't have the inherent ability to Cloud Walk. I believe the only character we've seen walk on clouds besides pegasi is Gilda, so I presume griffons can cloud walk. Anyway, the spell fails and we nearly have street pizza Yuna.

Twilight: "Maybe you cast the spell wrong."

Ouch. Right in the pride there, Twi. This is Starlight we're talking about, the oh-so-perfect all-powerful unicorn that doesn't a jail for being evil. Pfft, Starlight throwing the line right back at Twi made me laugh. Nicely played Glim. Anyway, so magic in Equestria is fading out and Celestia has the itinerary for today's apocalypse:

Day 1: Unicorns lose their magic.
    Day 2: Creatures lose their inherent magic.
    Day 3: Artifacts stop working.

Luna mentions that it's getting hard to even raise the moon at night, so I wonder if these days are absolute or relative? Wouldn't in be hilarious if magic couldn't fully drain so long as Celestia doesn't set the sun? Because the days aren't passing? Someone get on that fanfic idea. I'd love to see that as the means to defeat a prophesy.

En-e-way, so the Mane6 leave Starlight in charge while they go to Tartarus and interrogate Tirek. Cosy Glow butters up to Starlight and well, was nice knowing you Starlight (dibs on her kite collection). The Student6 seem to know something's up so they go spy on Cozy. Surprise, she's causing the magic drain. Well, we probably could have guessed considering... but Naysayer shows up to take control of the school while Twi is away and locks up the non-ponies in a dorm room. Sheesh, like everyone thinks controlling the school is power? Equestria power structures are weird. Remember in A Canterlot Wedding when Twi gets banished to the under-mines at the end of part one, wreathed in flames? I... kinda expected Cozy to do that to Naysayer. But it doesn't happen. Gotta admit, that would be 20% cooler of a "To Be Continued" breaking point, right?

Backing up a little, the Mane6 are near the gate to Tartarus when Pinkie finds out their food spoiled. So here's another neat little worldbuilding bit--those saddlebags come with magic refrigeration. Neat! Baked goods can spoil pretty quickly where I live, so sign me up for two bags when the magic returns. Anyway, here's where show canon takes a bit of a stumble. Applejack makes a great line to the unicorns with "You just have to think like an Earth Pony." And uses some cream to keep the flies away. So when magic is gone, Earth Ponies still got their science and will be just fine.

Except.

Back when Tirek was eating all the magic in his episode, Pegasi flight and Earth Pony strength were said to be magic aspects by Celestia. But throughout this two-parter, none of the pegasi seemed to struggle with flying. Nor Earth Ponies with being strong presumably, but we don't see an example of it. So what gives? Shouldn't flight be lost after Day 2? So yeah, a bit inconsistent there on canon, and probably because different writers are working this episode pair. So, just wanted to point that out.

The Mane6 get past the gates using a fabled magic key artifact which... can only be used once? So, how do you know it can open any door if it only has a one-use life span? I'm guessing that there are several such keys made and they all claim the name, but eh, it's a head-scratcher. Notice the BugBear is caged in here with a bunch of other creatures we've seen harass Equestria? Yeah, Episode 100 is canon. Ha! The So, the Mane6 talk to Tirek and learn Cozy is behind the magic drain. And without magic the Mane6 is trapped in Tartarus forever. As well as Tirek. Forever. With Pinkie Pie.

...Tirek, you're an idiot.

Twi figures out how to squeeze the last drops of magic from all the monsters here, their "essence" (which splits the chimera creatures into ordinary animals? Um... okay, whatever) and uses it to open the door. Nice plan actually. Meanwhile, Sandbar rounds up the CMC to help free the rest of his friends from being locked in a room (yay Earth Pony crowbar powers!) and while the CMC distract Cozy, the Student6 free Naysayer (pfft, Yuna smashes chair with Nay still in it. That was was funny). Nay goes to get help while the Student6 try to stop the magic drain. Cozy confronts them and tries to seal them in the big ball of magic thingie (and I'm wondering how Starlight goes to the bathroom in there. I mean, it's been like, two days, right?), but their sacrifice gets the other students to turn on Cozy and then the Tree of Harmony does it's Deux Ex Machina thing (that's two points for the tree now saving Equestria).

I wondered if being in that ball of magic thingie when it reverse would hurt Starlight, but nah, she's fine. A little radiation never killed anypony. So magic returns to all creatures and unicorns, Earth Ponies will have to wait to take over the world another day, Tirek gets slapped in the face with his own magic (ha!) and Cozy gets... locked away in Tartarus. Wow. So, Luna is gonna leave a filly in Equestria's highest security prison? Damn, Luna doesn't play around. Twilight must have pulled favors to keep Starlight out of there. What will cozy's parents say?

Naysayer stops being a jerk about non-ponies. That's something I guess. However, I feel like there's something missing... something that bugs me...

Yeah, you know.

Chrysalis.

What they heck happened to her? I guess she didn't get the elements after all? I feel like this should have been her finale, cause Starlight alone at the school would have made for a fine revenge opportunity, and Cozy... I thought she'd be some evil Baby Dahl expy or Chryssi in disguise... but nope. The twist is that Cozy is penpals with Tirek, and Big T doesn't even get out of his cage the entire time. He's thwarted by an annoying pink pony. Eh, an opportunity lost I suppose. We have at one last season to go, so maybe Chryssi will get the big finale of the series. Overall this two-parter was alright. Had some stakes, some good laughs. My one disappointment is watching Tirek chew on the idiot ball when we could of had the Queen of the Changelings doing something cool. I give it a B.
    Spoiler: S8E26 Digo Response
    Show
    I agree that giving time as days which are controlled by ponies offers a great loophole.

As an alternate fanfic, what if Luna points out that Celestia could have released her 1,000 years ago? Celestia did not have to wait 1,000 natural rotations of the planet around the sun. She could have made them pass in 24 hours. This could also be a great comic as the two sisters bicker over this argument.

I also agree that Chrysallis should have got something, but I am okay waiting for the next season. However, I expect the season to be all about Chrysallis, 2 part opener 1-2 episodes in the middle raising the stakes and then 2 part end.

Show

I mean, fantastic.

The Kirin.

Brilliant.

Back through thread...

Seriously, you ponies?

Oh, Meto, is you haven't you need to watch this one, I need to see you Art the new species therein...

Speaking of Art, did anypony have any addition thought on the revision to the elenthnar infantry last page?
    For you Elenthar infantry, the helmet looks a little like Mickey Mouse ears to me. Maybe you could break up the ears so that they are not completely round. For example, instead of using a half circle for the ears, put a chamfer on the inside towards the head while leaving the outside of the ears rounded. Maybe also add some raised pyramids or cubes around the ears which could be sensors.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

So what is going on with the episodes?

Last episodes I've seen have been road to friendship (seriously, selling your friend's wagon?) and Washouts (after the NPC had an injured wing, you're still going to consider that thing safe?). Yet you're already posting about the season ending pair?

Also, why was Saddle Arabia close enough to reach in a small wagon road trip? That should have been "far side of the planet away", needing a long ocean trip or something.

And never mind the question of how daylight/night time happens that far from canterlot :-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So what is going on with the episodes?

Last episodes I've seen have been road to friendship (seriously, selling your friend's wagon?) and Washouts (after the NPC had an injured wing, you're still going to consider that thing safe?). Yet you're already posting about the season ending pair?
    Some channel in Australia (couldn't tell you which one, but I'm sure Thanqol could) has been airing episodes several weeks in advance of Discovery Family in the US throughout the season.

Also, why was Saddle Arabia close enough to reach in a small wagon road trip?
    It isn't? Note that Starlight and Trixie never actually get there. They do get to Somnambula in "southern Equestria," but that's hardly the same thing.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    It isn't? Note that Starlight and Trixie never actually get there. They do get to Somnambula in "southern Equestria," but that's hardly the same thing.
    Well-planned is not how I would characterize their trip, so I wouldn't make geographic conclusions based on their travel arrangements...

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Well-planned is not how I would characterize their trip, so I wouldn't make geographic conclusions based on their travel arrangements...
    Trixie has a line about how it's farther than she's ever traveled, and asks Starlight along specifically because she doesn't think she'll be able to make the trip alone. That the intended takeaway was "Saddle Arabia is far away" could not be much clearer.

And really, a horse-drawn wagon trip on bad roads, when there's a train available (it's Equestria, there is always a train available, even if the track has to figuratively be laid right in front of the characters as they go, as in The Cutie Map and Surf and/or Turf)? The only reason to do that is the romanticism of it - which Starlight in particular is shown getting swept up in before reality comes crashing down.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trixie has a line about how it's farther than she's ever traveled, and asks Starlight along specifically because she doesn't think she'll be able to make the trip alone. That the intended takeaway was "Saddle Arabia is far away" could not be much clearer.

And really, a horse-drawn wagon trip on bad roads, when there's a train available (it's Equestria, there is always a train available, even if the track has to figuratively be laid right in front of the characters as they go, as in The Cutie Map and Surf and/or Turf)? The only reason to do that is the romanticism of it - which Starlight in particular is shown getting swept up in before reality comes crashing down.
    Besides romanticism (and plot) there could be other reasons to take the wagon rather than a train, airship, water ship, teleportation, etc.
    1. Trixie does not seem to have a lot of money. It is possible that transportation especially that far out could be very expensive. Yes, the Mane 6 regularly take the trains but locations like Canterlot are fairly close by and we do not know the relative distances to Appleoosa or Manehattan compared to Saddle Arabia.
    2. Trixie has a lot of props and other stuff. This may be too large to convery in the other transportation or it may be too expensive, see above.

Also, I don't think that the speed of building rail road tracks is unreasonable in Equestria. Seasons 1-3 were in 1 year. How many times was Ponyville rebuilt in that time? I can think of the parasprite invasion, but I know that there were more.

Ponies seem incredibly efficient at building and may just be better than us. Also think of Winter wrap up. In one day, they removed all the snow over a town. In human settlements, we have trouble pushing the snow to the side of a road to clear it for passage, and they removed it all, completely, by hoof. Imagine what they could do with magic.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    Spoiler: S8E26 Digo Response
    Show
    As an alternate fanfic, what if Luna points out that Celestia could have released her 1,000 years ago? Celestia did not have to wait 1,000 natural rotations of the planet around the sun. She could have made them pass in 24 hours. This could also be a great comic as the two sisters bicker over this argument.

I also agree that Chrysallis should have got something, but I am okay waiting for the next season. However, I expect the season to be all about Chrysallis, 2 part opener 1-2 episodes in the middle raising the stakes and then 2 part end.
    Spoiler: Ep 25/26: Digo like pie.
    Show
    The idea of spinning the sun and moon around Equestria 1000 times within 24 hours sounds rather daunting and very dangerous... granted that only makes even better material for a fanfic. >.>

I agree. I would like season 9 to really focus on Chrysalis as the final baddie to redeem/destroy.

The only reason to do that is the romanticism of it - which Starlight in particular is shown getting swept up in before reality comes crashing down.
    Heh, the idea that the entire road trip was Trixie's way to just spend quality time with Starlight. And I could see her not planning it out very well to have it lead to where they ended up.

Ponies seem incredibly efficient at building and may just be better than us. Also think of Winter wrap up. In one day, they removed all the snow over a town. In human settlements, we have trouble pushing the snow to the side of a road to clear it for passage, and they removed it all, completely, by hoof. Imagine what they could do with magic.
    I imagine that in Canterlot, Celestia just yawns and it's done in 10 minutes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #135

BlackDragon

That's just it. They don't do it in one day. They complain, but really, when was the last time it was done in one day without magic?

And no, I don't believe that some task lists by an organizer would be sufficient to make it down to one day. Heck, if you had chopped the pond into ice blocks that were too large to melt in one day, it's no longer a solid surface, and you're going to have a hard time chopping it into smaller blocks -- not to mention that Twilight dropped a mountain side of snow down, giving everyone more than normal snow to clean on day 2.

Seriously, the whole idea of "I can do anything if I study hard enough"? That's a Hermione belief :-)
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

16. - Top - End - #136

BlackDragon

[*]Trixie has a lot of props and other stuff. This may be too large to convery in the other transportation or it may be too expensive, see above.
    Absolutely. It's prop collection and traveling home; it's the pony version of the motor home / rust bucket.

Seasons 1-3 were in 1 year. How many times was Ponyville rebuilt in that time? I can think of the parasprite invasion, but I know that there were more.
    It's no different than Japan :-)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Colossus in the Playground

The season is done!

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, remember that time Fluttershy murdered Celestia's bird and was terrified that Celestia was going to banish her, and then lock her in a cage in the place she was banished to? And remember how we all laughed because that was so ludicrously dark it couldn't possibly be reality?

Well, Princess Celestia just did that to a twelve year old.

To be fair, cozy glow didn't like bananas.

My overall assessment of the season is: It was good! Really good, even. The new writers have their style and there were a bunch of rock solid episodes and Trixie and Glimmer's roadtrip is on the Best Ever list. Pony remains a constant in my life and I am entirely happy to continue to watch it every Sunday.

I do still hold the position I've held since, what, season 3 that they should Transformers The Movie the main cast and go all in on one of the two separate replacement groups they've come up with. It seems so weird that they keep designing totally alternate main casts and then not actually taking that to it's logical conclusion - but otoh I guess they're a toy company and they need to move them playsets.

But on the whole I'm actually drifting back into the cartoon horse cosmos orbit after detaching from the fandom side for a while. I actually put pen to paper for a contribution to a collaborative fanfic - I'll post it when it's done but it's the first bit of writing I've done in a long while. I also just read Fractured Sunlight and I absolutely loved it. Sad and beautiful and it's going to send me right back down the fanfiction hole to clear off a bunch of classics I put on Read Later years ago and didn't get around to.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Besides romanticism (and plot) there could be other reasons to take the wagon rather than a train, airship, water ship, teleportation, etc.
    Correct. For example, my parents will be driving a car on a long trip the next month, and they've decided to takie a slower and more expensive route where they sleep one day in a hotel and then take a long scenic whole night ferry ride and pay for a sleeping cabin on the ferry. They do this not mainly because they have to drive less, but mostly because the trip is more enjoyable this way. They find spending the time on the sea voyage enjoyable (and possibly romantic). The journey itself is thus turned to a pleasant vacation for them, not only the time they'll spend in the destination afterwardws. (These answers about why students in the Harry Potter book take a train ride to the school rather than faster forms of transport is also slightly relevant.)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    But on the whole I'm actually drifting back into the cartoon horse cosmos orbit after detaching from the fandom side for a while. I actually put pen to paper for a contribution to a collaborative fanfic - I'll post it when it's done but it's the first bit of writing I've done in a long while. I also just read Fractured Sunlight and I absolutely loved it. Sad and beautiful and it's going to send me right back down the fanfiction hole to clear off a bunch of classics I put on Read Later years ago and didn't get around to.
    I'm glad to hear the you enjoyed the season and even happier to hear that you are writing even more fiction.

Other than Fractured Sunlight, do you have any more recommendations? It is that time again when I need to fill up my e-reader with pony.

I am just about finished with The Silver Standard. It is a story exploring Silver Spoon in depth including her friendship with Diamond Tiara and the other foals. It is well written, properly thought out and follows show canon very well while adding additional details.

20. - Top - End - #140

I'm glad to hear the you enjoyed the season and even happier to hear that you are writing even more fiction.

Other than Fractured Sunlight, do you have any more recommendations? It is that time again when I need to fill up my e-reader with pony.

I am just about finished with The Silver Standard. It is a story exploring Silver Spoon in depth including her friendship with Diamond Tiara and the other foals. It is well written, properly thought out and follows show canon very well while adding additional details.
    Oh, I've got a tonne - my favourites list on Fimfiction is all class-A hits but I don't know how widely you've read. The Moonstone Cup, Equestria From Dust and The Best Night Ever are what come to mind off the top of my head as some of the best-ever picks but I'll check again for you when I'm home.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

For you Elenthar infantry, the helmet looks a little like Mickey Mouse ears to me. Maybe you could break up the ears so that they are not completely round. For example, instead of using a half circle for the ears, put a chamfer on the inside towards the head while leaving the outside of the ears rounded. Maybe also add some raised pyramids or cubes around the ears which could be sensors.
    I did see this, I've just been working on other stuff this last few days... And playing through Generals.

There is something very relaxing, even, with Generals and oh so very satisfying. (Not bad for a game that's fifteen years old... Heck, my oldest campaign saves dated from 2003, which I'm overwriting as I go - they're backed-up anyway, so...!)

I think, in my old age, I can point to the sound design perhaps as a reason. There's just something so right about the overly-dramatic explosions, the fwoosh of the missiles and the rattle of the guns. I would not have said that Generals is my favourite C&C game in terms of fluff or lore or presentation... But there has to be something to be said, as its the only one Ive ever played skirmish maps on considerably.

I think in a lot of way, though, it's a game that matches my playstyle - tank up with defences, get the buildings which give you infinite cash and build ridiculous numbers of superweapons - sod even airstrikes, let alone ground units, I can have orbital bombardment! Nothing quite like eight partical cannons or something one the go, one after another...

(I also REALLY need to get around doing a GLA ground force to go along with the starfleet...)

Before I started on Zero Hour, I went to start the Halfling camapign in Age of Wonders 3. And found that a) Warlord (worse, if anything, than rogue and dreadnought), plus the halfling's ranged units have a lot of "stun everything around the target", which is way less useful because it means I can't use them when engaged by the enemy. And the save/load screen was having a fit, so I thought, "nope, back to Generals!"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What sort of stories do you like? Is there anything you want to avoid? On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the amount of MLP fanfics you've read where 1 is "what's a fanfic" and 10 is "I'm having a hard time finding things I haven't read"

23. - Top - End - #143

What sort of stories do you like? Is there anything you want to avoid? On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the amount of MLP fanfics you've read where 1 is "what's a fanfic" and 10 is "I'm having a hard time finding things I haven't read"
    Really good questions actually, adeptly phrased.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-09-12 at 09:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like a wide variety of fanfics but will tend to avoid bad OC or human in Equestria fics or ones that are poorly edited.

For the rank, I am probably a 7. I don't watch Equestria Daily for the newest releases since I mainly rely on ponythread.

Let me cover the authors and stories that I am currently following.

• Chengar Qordath is my favorite author with Lunar Rebellion, My Little Denarians, and the Winningverse.
    • Starlight over Detrot is a brutal story with some scenes more gruesome than Falloout Equestria. Over the past year or two, it has also just gotten weird. If I was not so tied into the story, I would probably stop following it.
    • SFaccountant writes some fairly good Warhammer 40K / My Little Pony crossover fics. This helped me to make some toon games on the same subject.
    • Estee is a very prolific author, but the quality can vary a lot. Five Hundred Little Murders was a fantastic story. On the other hand, Fluttershy as a Sherman tank was not.

25. - Top - End - #145

I like a wide variety of fanfics but will tend to avoid bad OC or human in Equestria fics or ones that are poorly edited.

For the rank, I am probably a 7. I don't watch Equestria Daily for the newest releases since I mainly rely on ponythread.

• Chengar Qordath is my favorite author with Lunar Rebellion, My Little Denarians, and the Winningverse.
    • Starlight over Detrot is a brutal story with some scenes more gruesome than Falloout Equestria. Over the past year or two, it has also just gotten weird. If I was not so tied into the story, I would probably stop following it.
    • SFaccountant writes some fairly good Warhammer 40K / My Little Pony crossover fics. This helped me to make some toon games on the same subject.
    • Estee is a very prolific author, but the quality can vary a lot. Five Hundred Little Murders was a fantastic story. On the other hand, Fluttershy as a Sherman tank was not.
    I have developed really mixed feelings about Chengar. Lunar Rebellion is intimidatingly good as a piece of work, and I think that's a lot because the setting and premise inherently fights against Chengar's worst instincts and enables his best ones - if for no other reason than as a historical drama it has to have things happen and, eventually, end. But some of his other stories are just straight up self-gratuitous stagnation. He has this bit he does whenever a young kid on a scene, and that bit always goes on for like half a chapter before he can bring himself to move on from it, and New Life in particular is a long form excuse to never move on from that bit.

He's kind of like Joss Whedon in that regard - Joss Whedon is great, so long as you've got someone standing behind him with a baseball bat ready to hit him when he starts acting too much like Joss Whedon.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmmm...Applejack: Marvelous is off to a good start if you like crossovers.

A Taste of the Good Life is a nice little Scoolatoo story that might be obscure enough for you not to have read it.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Right, now I'm in a position to have a proper look again:

Having printed one, I forgoot that my printer has a bit of a tendancy to blob at the tip of something, so I'm considering maybe having a horiztonal isc at the top to bury the ear-flanges into that would present a flatter top for the printer. Dunno if that'll look terrible or not, though.

On that note, ponythreaders, I need to work out now how elenthnar sit down down - i.e. what their posture would be; kind of import for vehicles, especially for, say Phystyulon rocket cycles. I have started a thread here; if any of you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Edit: Disc looked... Pants, so shelve that one for the moment. Attempt two:

Spoiler
    Show

Dad rasied an interesting point - he thought the left one was better BECAUSE it looked like ears. Not sure what think about that.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-09-14 at 09:15 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right, now I'm in a position to have a proper look again:

Having printed one, I forgoot that my printer has a bit of a tendancy to blob at the tip of something, so I'm considering maybe having a horiztonal isc at the top to bury the ear-flanges into that would present a flatter top for the printer. Dunno if that'll look terrible or not, though.

On that note, ponythreaders, I need to work out now how elenthnar sit down down - i.e. what their posture would be; kind of import for vehicles, especially for, say Phystyulon rocket cycles. I have started a thread here; if any of you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Edit: Disc looked... Pants, so shelve that one for the moment. Attempt two:

Spoiler
    Show

Dad rasied an interesting point - he thought the left one was better BECAUSE it looked like ears. Not sure what think about that.
    I think the one on the right looks better. It comes together and reminds me of a stormtrooper helmet. It should also be easier to print.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I have developed really mixed feelings about Chengar. Lunar Rebellion is intimidatingly good as a piece of work, and I think that's a lot because the setting and premise inherently fights against Chengar's worst instincts and enables his best ones - if for no other reason than as a historical drama it has to have things happen and, eventually, end. But some of his other stories are just straight up self-gratuitous stagnation. He has this bit he does whenever a young kid on a scene, and that bit always goes on for like half a chapter before he can bring himself to move on from it, and New Life in particular is a long form excuse to never move on from that bit.

He's kind of like Joss Whedon in that regard - Joss Whedon is great, so long as you've got someone standing behind him with a baseball bat ready to hit him when he starts acting too much like Joss Whedon.
    I see your point. I think the hardest difficulty is that Chengar releases stories every month (which I love). When doing that, it is harder to keep the flow going. It would be best if the stories would be written completely and then edited to avoid those pitfalls, but that goes for almost every writer.

Hmmm...Applejack: Marvelous is off to a good start if you like crossovers.

A Taste of the Good Life is a nice little Scoolatoo story that might be obscure enough for you not to have read it.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will look at Applejack: Marvelous.

I read A Taste of the Good Life around 2 months ago and found it a wonderful story with lots of emotional engagement. It also helped to explain the Scootaloo as an orphan without kicking our favorite little chicken.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think the one on the right looks better. It comes together and reminds me of a stormtrooper helmet. It should also be easier to print.

I see your point. I think the hardest difficulty is that Chengar releases stories every month (which I love). When doing that, it is harder to keep the flow going. It would be best if the stories would be written completely and then edited to avoid those pitfalls, but that goes for almost every writer.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look at Applejack: Marvelous.

I read A Taste of the Good Life around 2 months ago and found it a wonderful story with lots of emotional engagement. It also helped to explain the Scootaloo as an orphan without kicking our favorite little chicken.

A New Sun Rises is a pretty good Sunset story, that gives a bit more development to Sunset immediately after EQG, though it diverges significantly as time goes on. If you've enjoyed Principal Celestia Hunts the Undead you'll probably like this one.

Also, I found this

30. - Top - End - #150
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Guess I'll join the fanfic recommending spree with some of my favorites.

The Immortal Game is a 300k word epic that tells a very serious, very dark, and yet very hopeful story. Celestia's and Luna's parents are freed from long imprisonment, and turn out to be spectacularly bad news, and the Mane 6 ultimately have to lead ponykind to war against them in an intricately detailed story that explores the origins of the Elements of Harmony, Equestria, ponies themselves, and what they are all truly capable of. It really earns the Dark tag, especially in the early parts of the story, but there is always hope and the ending is a happy one.

Mass Effect 2 - DLC: The Equestrian Equation. Mass Effect 2 crossover, obviously. Equestria features as a hidden virtual world holding the last remnants of a race the Reapers wiped out many thousands of cycles ago, which Shepard investigates shortly before the Suicide Mission. The story had a lot of choices in the style of Mass Effect 2 for the readers to vote on while it was still ongoing, and the audience pretty much went full Paragon.

Stardust is another game crossover, this one with XCOM. No familiarity with the game is required to understand anything. It starts with the canon attempt to reform Discord, but he responds to his release by making a bet with Twilight - convince him that friendship is the strongest power in the universe, and he'll cooperate. She immediately accepts, of course, and he teleports her to early-XCOM Earth in the middle of an alien attack. She then has to convince a somewhat paranoid military organization, which has never before had non-hostile alien contact, that she's friendly and they should help her. Oh, and do this while they're busily fighting off an alien invasion all over the planet.

Harmony Theory. This one's still incomplete, but it's a really good combination of mystery and adventure set in the far future of Equestria, with the Mane 6 appearing one by one for an initially unknown reason.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)