New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XI): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Just need approval and the thread for X-Mafia will be live.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Just need approval and the thread for X-Mafia will be live.
    Good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    Good to go!
    Thanks Flat_footed. By the way, I invited a friend of mine to the forum for this game. He signed up as MacJoe. He hasn't been able to post a reply yet though. He says there isn't an email waiting for verification. Is there anything else he needs to do before he can post or should I just tell him to check his email again?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Spongebob has ended in a town victory.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Posting here because I bet a lot of people are subbed and this info will help them out:

If you can't see any threads outside your subscriptions that have updates, that's because the forum doesn't display threads for you that haven't gotten activity in...however long you set it for. The forum default is something like 50 days, or so, but you can set it anywhere from "1 day" to "forever". I have it set to "forever" cuz I like trawling through the archives several hundred pages back to find stuff I replied to way back when.

At least temporarily, I'd probably recommend to most people that they go into their settings and change that paticular setting to something a bit higher than the forum default. Path is "Settings-->General Settings-->Default Thread Age Cut Off".

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Can I call the next available spot? The game is either no-power role mafia, or Pandora's box.

(Pandora's box: if one specific player dies everyone gets a unique 1-shot power)
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh, at some point, I want to try out a version of Greatest Idea mafia, because that looks interesting and gives players some level of choice over their roles and just, generally, looks fun. So, I know the list is probably kinda long but I'd love to jump on the end of it.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I was in a boring meeting today and thought up a game based on Mage: The Ascension (old World of Darkness.)

Basically the players are a group of 9 Tradition mages and 9 Technocrats* of about equal count (depending on # of players). They are all supposedly Town and not in communication with each other. But embedded in them are some wolves: the Nephandi**. So while all Roles would be known, it's unknown if they overlap with a Nephandi or not. Someone's Role, and if they are Nephandi or not, is revealed upon death.

Sort of like the Cruiseline game with two factions, but the two factions are known, not coordinated, and it's known that wolves are hiding amongst them. But since the wolf faction isn't a distinct role but an add-on to known roles, no real risk of something like the Corporate game.
    Basic win condition is to kill all the wolves, with a bonus win if you wipe out your opposed faction in the process.

*two factions opposed to each other. Choosing the number 9 since there are 9 Spheres of magic (basically schools of magic). So, ideally 18 players, but could make up some neutrals or add-ons to the Town factions if needed.
    **in short, evil mages, known to often hide in the Traditions or Technocracy

I don't know if I'd be up for running it. If I did, I think I'd ban QuickTopics/PMs between Town. Though maybe the Mind Sphere power would be to start a QuickTopic with 1 player each night or invite a player to an existing QuickTopic.
    I'm also thinking that the powers for the Tradition and Technocracy mages are the same. So the Tradition Forces mage and the Technocrat Forces mage have the same night power. If one of them is a Nephandi, they have an add-on power they can activate in addition to or instead of the normal night power.

Not asking for a spot in the queue (yet at least), but voicing this for feedback.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-02-26 at 03:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Posting here because I bet a lot of people are subbed and this info will help them out:

If you can't see any threads outside your subscriptions that have updates, that's because the forum doesn't display threads for you that haven't gotten activity in...however long you set it for. The forum default is something like 50 days, or so, but you can set it anywhere from "1 day" to "forever". I have it set to "forever" cuz I like trawling through the archives several hundred pages back to find stuff I replied to way back when.

At least temporarily, I'd probably recommend to most people that they go into their settings and change that paticular setting to something a bit higher than the forum default. Path is "Settings-->General Settings-->Default Thread Age Cut Off".
    You just completely blew my mind. To be honest I'm a little bit embarrassed that it never occurred to me to go look for an option like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Oh, at some point, I want to try out a version of Greatest Idea mafia, because that looks interesting and gives players some level of choice over their roles and just, generally, looks fun. So, I know the list is probably kinda long but I'd love to jump on the end of it.
    That does look quite fun, probably a complete mess, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I was in a boring meeting today and thought up a game based on Mage: The Ascension (old World of Darkness.)

Basically the players are a group of 9 Tradition mages and 9 Technocrats* of about equal count (depending on # of players). They are all supposedly Town and not in communication with each other. But embedded in them are some wolves: the Nephandi**. So while all Roles would be known, it's unknown if they overlap with a Nephandi or not. Someone's Role, and if they are Nephandi or not, is revealed upon death.

Sort of like the Cruiseline game with two factions, but the two factions are known, not coordinated, and it's known that wolves are hiding amongst them. But since the wolf faction isn't a distinct role but an add-on to known roles, no real risk of something like the Corporate game.
    Basic win condition is to kill all the wolves, with a bonus win if you wipe out your opposed faction in the process.

*two factions opposed to each other. Choosing the number 9 since there are 9 Spheres of magic (basically schools of magic). So, ideally 18 players, but could make up some neutrals or add-ons to the Town factions if needed.
    **in short, evil mages, known to often hide in the Traditions or Technocracy

I don't know if I'd be up for running it. If I did, I think I'd ban QuickTopics/PMs between Town. Though maybe the Mind Sphere power would be to start a QuickTopic with 1 player each night or invite a player to an existing QuickTopic.
    I'm also thinking that the powers for the Tradition and Technocracy mages are the same. So the Tradition Forces mage and the Technocrat Forces mage have the same night power. If one of them is a Nephandi, they have an add-on power they can activate in addition to or instead of the normal night power.

Not asking for a spot in the queue (yet at least), but voicing this for feedback.
    Without knowing which roles/powers you might end up using, I'm not sure how much feedback is possible, beyond two fairly obvious points. First is that splitting town into two opposed factions will weaken town significantly. Not allowing outside communication (PM, QT, whatever) should further weaken town. Whether that all matters would end up depending on what specific roles are present.

The second is that if which roles are wolves is determined randomly, that makes it harder to balance. The wolves could be roles that are vitally important to town, they could not be; they could be roles that are especially dangerous in scummy hands, or not; etc. On the other hand, if you handpick which roles are the wolves, and simply keep your choices secret from the players, you open yourself up to players guessing which roles are the wolves based on what would make the game more balanced.

That's what I got. But I know basically nothing about actually balancing games, so that's probably as far as I can go.

As a final note: while I don't want to be too harsh to Durzan, it does look like real life caught up to him? It might be worthwhile to make a new Central thread to get an up-to-date queue going again. While I'm, obviously, not particularly active I will have at least enough free time for the foreseeable future to check in every day and update. So if it is felt that a new Central makes sense I can volunteer.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fine with starting up a new Capital thread. If you wanna run it instead of me, that's fine too.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

If someone is going to make a new capital, I'd love to see the old opening posts again. They have a lot of stored games and other fun things from the past and aren't too hard to copy paste if you're up to it.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Agreed. A bit of cleaning and editing might make sense though, and the completed games archive will need updating. So a bit of work, but worth it.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I've started work on a new one, and yeah lots of little edits along the way.

EDIT: Well, that's the initial post sent off. Provided it gets approved, I'll be up for a while longer tonight, so if it gets approved in the next four hours or so I can at least get the barebones additional posts up so people can respond to it. If not, guess that's something for tomorrow.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-02-26 at 08:42 PM.

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still getting the new thread updated (intentionally double-posting in this subforum takes awhile), but I've got the current vague schedule up. If anybody staked a claim that I missed, let me know and I'll adjust the schedule accordingly. Currently the line-up is gac3-Elenna-Durzan-Caerulea-Unavenger.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

The new Central is live and ready for posting. Apologies about the wait.

My Homebrew