New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XI): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Is the wizard ww thread here or IC?
    It's here, but a mod needs to approve it. I've bothered f_f on that basis.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

That’s probably a better plan than what I do, I just bother flat_footed at random intervals.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Thread has been approved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

The issue with having the Tanner only win if NK’ed is that this is gonna make them want to be a very active townie, to try drawing the NK. Therefore, the wolves are gonna be disincentivized to kill active townies, making their job that much harder.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    The issue with having the Tanner only win if NK’ed is that this is gonna make them want to be a very active townie, to try drawing the NK. Therefore, the wolves are gonna be disincentivized to kill active townies, making their job that much harder.
    Honestly, for me, that's probably an argument in favor of a Tanner. Targeting active players is good wolf play, so a good defense against getting killed is to...not play? What? Why should we support that playstyle? Probably means the game needs to be balanced a bit more in wolves favor to make up for encouraging worse wolfplay, but encouraging bad wolfplay is better than encouraging no villager play.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Honestly, for me, that's probably an argument in favor of a Tanner. Targeting active players is good wolf play, so a good defense against getting killed is to...not play? What? Why should we support that playstyle? Probably means the game needs to be balanced a bit more in wolves favor to make up for encouraging worse wolfplay, but encouraging bad wolfplay is better than encouraging no villager play.
    My point is that the existence of a Tanner leads to wolves not wanting to NK active players for fear of hitting the Tanner.

Extended Sig

Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

I think the reason we stopped using roles like the Tanner isn't because of how it effects the play of other parties, but because it's not all that fun a role to play. It's not easy to get invested in the goal of "stop being able to play the game". At least not after the novelty of the role has worn off for you.

8. - Top - End - #158

I’m throwing around the idea of running my first game of WW after Wizard’s Guild is done. About how much work does it take?

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I’m throwing around the idea of running my first game of WW after Wizard’s Guild is done. About how much work does it take?
    Very generally speaking, creating QTs and sending out PMs will take about half an hour at your PC, although if you set up QTs beforehand, it can be a bit more spread out. After that, YMMV depending on how much you wanna write for narrations and how long it takes you to write up stuff, but in general running a game isn't a great deal of work. You're monitoring PMs/QTs/posts mostly to make sure people aren't breaking the rules and sharing rules PMs directly, but 99.9% of the time your only job is maybe a half-hour's worth of narration every two/three days. Unavenger is more involved, posting vote-counts now and then in Wizard's, but that's not necessary exactly.

The more power roles there are, though, the more there'll be little niggling scenarios where you'll need to make a gut call about a particular weird power interaction. If you're lucky, you saw this coming during game design, but if you weren't, it's entirely possible the recruitment thread will bring it to your attention with dozens of weird questions. It's definitely easier the fewer roles there are, but "minimal power roles" can skew balance in weird ways if you're not careful.

But again, the main takeaway is that you're less "running the game" the way a D&D DM is, and more "running the game" like a referee does in a sporting match. If everything goes right, you barely even have to do anything.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #160

In that case, is everyone ok with me taking the slot after Wizards? I’m also taking theming suggestions.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Next game I run is probably gonna be a generic one, but I've got no problem letting other people take slots first. As for theming, I've been mulling over a corporations game, with the WW/Mafia being a cartel forming within the industry and driving out competitors.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #162

I’ve wanted to run a game for a few years now, so I’m gonna brainstorm some themes.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #163

Durzan seems to be off and on here, but worst comes to worst, I can edit the OP so we have a schedule going again.
    Show
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    Durzan seems to be off and on here, but worst comes to worst, I can edit the OP so we have a schedule going again.
    Getting a schedule going would be great, although putting the burden on a mod seems less than ideal, but I'm also unsure of just...starting a new thread now, considering the post count in this one is so low. >.>

If we went that route, though...I'm at a point where I've got a good bit of free time and no other online games taking up my mental bandwidth here ITP, and combined with how I'm probably gonna be running like half the games for the next year or whatever I'd be fine being in charge of the schedule too.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Getting a schedule going would be great, although putting the burden on a mod seems less than ideal, but I'm also unsure of just...starting a new thread now, considering the post count in this one is so low. >.>
    The Fullmetal Mod: UNLIMITED POWER!!!!! *cough* no, I don't mind doing it initially. If Durzan is either not here enough or unwilling to keep up the schedule, then I can look into removing this thread and having you start another.
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like a plan.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #167

BlueWizardGirl

In that case, is everyone ok with me taking the slot after Wizards? I’m also taking theming suggestions.
    I guess I'm okay with it. I have a weird custom game I've wanted to run since the start of the Second Great Werewolf Awakening, but I can wait another round.

(It's "Red Atlantic Cruise" and contains spies, betrayal, and madmen.)
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2019-11-21 at 06:49 AM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I've been considering running a game with all hidden power roles, themed around Harry Potter, but I can wait - if nothing else, playing other games might give me some ideas for neutral roles.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    I've been considering running a game with all hidden power roles, themed around Harry Potter, but I can wait - if nothing else, playing other games might give me some ideas for neutral roles.
    Does that make...three games waiting in the wings now, or four?

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #170

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wouldn't hold off on recruiting, by the way. I think Wizards' Guild is gonna finish pretty soon.

21. - Top - End - #171

Ill throw something together when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

What’s a good recruitment window? 2-3 weeks?

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Ill throw something together when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

What’s a good recruitment window? 2-3 weeks?
    Two weeks is the old standard, and it's been mostly working out for me.

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #173

BlueWizardGirl

I believe the game queue is:
    - Unavenger (Wizards Guild): In progress
    - BasketOfPuppies (Unnamed): About to start recruiting
    - Caerulea (Red Atlantic Cruise): After BasketOfPuppies' game.
    - Elenna (Harry Potter themed): After me.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

24. - Top - End - #174

Last edited by BasketOfPuppies; 2019-11-25 at 03:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    I like an idea of a game where the Town and/or Wolf powers are hidden. Scary idea, but fun.

EDIT TO PREVENT DOUBLE-POST

Thinking of a Town with a kill Night Power (like evoker from last game). Is it generally considered wise to kill someone (in hopes of hitting a wolf/for info) or to wait, assuming no really strong indication of who is wolf?
    Also, for baners (e.g., Abjurer), it seems standard practice to bane yourself night 1. That true?
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-11-25 at 02:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

You don’t want to kill someone unless you’re sure that their death will help the town. If you aren’t, there’s a good chance you’re doing the wolves’ job for them.

Unless there’s a high-profile townie, I always bane myself until there’s someone who need to be baned more. It insures I survive until I’m needed.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adding on to what BoP said about baning, I have the following advice: You will only want to protect villagers (if you can help it), and (most of the time) on Night 1, the only villager you can be 100% sure about is yourself. Thus, protecting yourself is the best strategy.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Thinking of a Town with a kill Night Power (like evoker from last game). Is it generally considered wise to kill someone (in hopes of hitting a wolf/for info) or to wait, assuming no really strong indication of who is wolf?
    Generally, I consider it better to wait until you've got something to go on. Random shots could get lucky, but they're more likely hurt the village. That is why I liked the baner/killer combo from the prison game, as it gives you something useful to do either way.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just an FYI, I'm still alive and kicking, as well as willing to continue managing the schedule. I've just been busy with school and getting a hang of being a moderator on other sites (including crunchyroll), to the point where I forgot that I was in charge of structured games here.

Sorry bout that, guys. I get email notifications for this site specifically so this wouldn't happen, but since I only recently got one about a PM, I didn't get back till now.

If you have a game you wish to start, shoot a PM to me and I'll take care of it ASAP. Though... I will need someone to get me back up to speed...

- - - Updated - - -

Since I'm here, I'm kicking around doing another mafia game... Either a "Who is Kira?" (Deathnote themed Mafia), Mafia RPG, or just regular Mafia.

Might be fun to do a christmas themed game... assuming it could get scheduled during December...
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    I believe the game queue is:
    - Unavenger (Wizards Guild): In progress
    - BasketOfPuppies (Unnamed): About to start recruiting
    - Caerulea (Red Atlantic Cruise): After BasketOfPuppies' game.
    - Elenna (Harry Potter themed): After me.
    This is a good start for you, Durzan. Welcome back!
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature