A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 98
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    It starts just like any other job for the Society. Summer, the owner of the Clifftop Adventurers Society, approached you and told you that she got a letter asking for adventurers to help a local priest of the Silver Flame named Amalia. The reward was 400 gold each and Summer thought that you were the most qualified, and the only people in the room at the time, so she gave all of you the job. The priest said that she thought that the Emerald Claw was targeting her because she was investigating their activities in High Walls and that she needed adventurers to help her with investigation and defend against any Emerald Claw attacks. You’ve met and talked to the other adventurers on this job while relaxing or networking at the Clifftop Adventuring Society, but this is the first job you’ve done with them.

    Spoiler: Lady Oren
    Show
    You recognize the name on the letter. Amalia studied with you at Flamekeep, along with her sister Azela. They were inseparable until their last year studying. They had a falling out and Azela left Flamekeep. They both were kind people, and both wanted to protect people from Evil.


    The temple that Amalia asked you to meet at is a small utilitarian building, if it wasn’t for the painted symbol of the Silver Flame above the door, you would think it was just a wooden house or store. It’s located in Upper Tavick’s Landing, nestled between a large general store and a family-owned lizardfolk restaurant called Kuisine Ka’rhashan. The only pieces of furniture in the church are an altar with a glowing silver continual flame, and a few rows of pews for the audience to sit in. There are also a few Longbows and quivers of arrows hung on the walls.

    When you arrive in the church, you see that it’s nearly empty, with only a few initiates and one priest. The initiates are preparing for the next day’s meeting and the Priest, a young woman wearing simple clothes and an amulet with the symbol of the silver flame, is arguing with another woman who looks to be around her age and has similar facial features. The other woman’s red and green robes mark her as a priest of the Blood of Vol. She also has scars on both of her arms. You overhear the two priests yelling.

    "What do you mean 'the only divinity is the one within ourselves?' You've seen the flame just as I have, and if you come back you'll be united with it after you die just like I'm going to be"

    "Even if that is true, being united with the Silver Flame is no better than Dolurruh! Oblivion as fuel for the flame is barely a step up from from fading away into nothingness. Either way, there's nothing of you left afterwards."

    Spoiler: Oren
    Show
    You recognize the priest of the Silver Flame as Amalia and the priest of the Blood of Vol as Azela. You also know that the scars on Azela’s arms are from a Blood of Vol ritual that you studied called the Sacrament of Blood. This ritual involves cutting your veins to give blood to feed to evil vampires, and that's where the scars come from.

    Spoiler: Noruva and Grave
    Show
    You recognize the scars on the Blood of Vol Priest’s arms from your experience with the Blood of Vol. They are scars from a ritual called the Sacrament of Blood, a ritual that in which members of the Blood of Vol bleed into a glass and donate the blood to their undead leaders who need it to survive and metaphorically gain power from it.


    Before you can decide how to introduce yourselves or whether to interrupt the argument, a crossbow bolt flies past your heads and lands in the Silver Flame Priest’s chest.

    She starts to bleed out, and the are around the wound is turning black from some type of poison. The priest of the Blood of Vol screams “Amalia! No!” and grabs her unconscious body, trying to apply first aid. The priest of the Blood of Vol's robes are stained darker red as blood from Amalia's wound spills onto the floor. The crossbow bolt came from the roof of a shoe store across the street, and you see an assassin wearing a black cloak and holding a crossbow jump down from the roof and start running into an alley.

    Spoiler: Oren
    Show
    Based on your extensive knowledge of medicine, you can tell that Azela is not skilled in first aid and will probably not be able to stop the bleeding, much less neutralize the poison

    Spoiler: Kaelas
    Show
    You would need to investigate further to find out what kind of poison was on the crossbow bolt, but you know that it seems deadly enough that if it isn’t neutralized somehow the Priest of the Silver Flame will definitely die. Also, you can tell that this Assassin isn’t that skilled and definitely isn’t a House Thuranni assassin. The crossbow bolt through the doorway approach completely lacked subtlety or art.


    The Assassin is getting away and Amalia is bleeding out and dying of poison. What do you do?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "Save her, I will chase the assassin," declares Altar. As he rushes out into the street, a great golden blade glittering with a rainbow of dragonshards appears in his hands.

    Perception to pinpoint the assassin: (1d20+4)[8]

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shimmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Captain Graves skin crawls beneath their armored shell as they enter the temple fury sparking like the flame upon the alter at the sight of the silver fire. It's blaze reflected in their own eerie silver eyes making them almost seem to glow before they tore their gaze away to concentrate upon the two priestesses. Distaste for them both leaving their unseen expression beneath their helmet a sour one. Religions in their book were nothing in the end, but trouble though Graves found themselves agreeing to some extent with the Priestess of Vol though perhaps not in the way they would have intended.

    Gods, they had found, rarely gave two ****s about their followers. Their opinion only reinforced further by the crossbow bolt that suddenly sprouted like a tree shoot in spring from the woman's chest. The poison spreading through the woman's wound gaining a cursory glance from the Captain (rolling to see if Graves recognizes the poison as that used by the Emerald Claw with Investigation (1d20)[4] ) before they turned their gaze to the assassin themselves.

    "Let us see if we cannot even the playing field." The Bone Knight rasped out the acrid taste of magic laying heavy on their tongue as they called out with a magnified death rattle "APPROACH." Calling out to the assassin to force them to heel and turn to come towards their attackers and Altar.

    (Graves Casts COMMAND. The Assassin must make a Will save against DC 14 or be forced to follow the Command.)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Merveaux arrives with the others into the drab little church. She'd expected something a bit more grand, but looks couldn't be everything. She considered that perhaps it was part of the Silver Flame's faith to be more austere. She knew little about that religion, being a follower of the Sovereign Host all her life. She'd just found herself thinking that the burning flame itself, somehow colored silver, was an absolutely fabulous addition to the decor and atmosphere when... the crossbow bolt hits.

    Merveaux gasps, clapping both hands to her mouth. She runs over to the fallen priest, wondering who could do such a dreadful thing. She trusted Altar and Graves to apprehend the culprit, and instead concerned herself with the victim. She knelt before the unconscious woman, her hands trembling slightly as she reached into her Bag of Holding.

    "Please, someone get the arrow out... I don't know enough about medicine to try myself, I'm afraid I'd only make things worse. I do have a Potion of Healing, but I don't know how much good it would do against the poison."

    She holds the small bottle, filled with red liquid, ready to pour it down the priest's throat, once the crossbow bolt was removed.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Oren enjoys the walk across districts, never at a loss of wonder at the city's multicultural hue. Her companions were about as odd a bunch as expected given the circumstances; the Clifftop Guild was hardly going to attract the boring sort. She considered possibilities of what to do with her rather unexpectedly large reward - Coldflame Keep was always in the need of refurbishment, but that was mostly aesthetic and would only be appreciated by Faithful visitors. Perhaps she could find some public project to invest in, or maybe donate it to those poor bastards down in High Walls. She swallowed suddenly rising guilt as the building came into view.

    Not much to look at. But then what do you really need to pray besides a willingness to reflect on your own faults and misdeeds?

    Within, she was surprised to see these two women in such a state. Not only because it had been some time since she'd seen them, but because of Azela's robes. She shook herself from the shock as the arguing continued. Annoyed, she frowned and loudly said, "Oi!" But in that instant an assassin struck.

    Oren gapes at the bloody wound and bereaved sister for only a heartbeat until the old rush of action fills her. She drops and crawls behind a pew. Others are shouting and running for the door. Well, that's one way of doing it. She scrambles forward, sliding next to the woman with the wands ... Maryann? Without hesitation she draws the dagger from her boot and slashes wide the priestess' robe and blouse while casting Spare the Dying. "Azela, my name is Oren. Do you remember me?" She examines the wound carefully, and has seen many like it, but the angry darkness in some veins speaks of a powerful poison. "Right ... forget your potion. Azela, I need more light here. Gotta make sure I don't leave any bits in her when I remove the bolt. Get a cloth - a clean one - and be ready to put pressure on the wound when I tell you." She places her left hand on Amelia's chest and says simply and reverently, "Flame, burn away the poison."

    After casting Lesser Restoration she looks around for a brazier or torch and realizes they're all magical. "Ugh." She unstoppers her water skin and pours over her knife with a "it'll have to do" shrug and digs into the injured woman's breast, carefully incising tissue on either side of the bolt and examining the head, working it diligently free so as not to cause more damage. "You, Maryann, pour more water on this." Once it's out she nods to Azela to apply pressure, but quickly takes over for her, realizing she needs something and doesn't know where to look. "She's all right for the moment, but I need something to heat up my knife, and-" she shrugs her cloak aside, not minding its corner is soaking in a puddle of blood, and reveals leather pouches hanging from her belt. She says again to Maryann, "-here, get out a needle and thread. Wash'em off, thread'em and hand'em over. Be quick, yeah?"

    With these things done she goes about the grisly business of cauterizing bleeding vessels inches inside Amalia's breast, washing her clean, and sewing her shut.
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2018-08-28 at 12:48 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Perficio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Noruva's quick enough to accept the job, having no issue with the clergy of other misguided faiths. The argument as they enter the small church, with someone so obviously of the Blood of Vol, distracts her from properly examining their surroundings. She, like the others, misses the signs of the attack, and then their client is bleeding out before they've even introduced themselves.

    "We'll catch the ****, keep her steady!" Noruva orders the others, having no talent for the healing arts herself, and whirls around to pursue the assassin.

    A whir of thoughts thoughts go through her mind as she rushes out the door toward the cloaked figure. They were just given this job, and it must be validating for the dying woman that she was under some threat after all, it's infuriating to have the work go sour so quickly. Though, they'd been hired to protect Amalia by letter rather than in person. Because she'd been afraid to leave the temple, knowing there were threats nearby? Or because it hadn't been her that hired them? No way to be sure, unless the priest was saved and spoken with, or if they caught the assassin and questioned them.

    As she races towards the alley, she stretches her staff and gestures with her free hand to slow the assassin's retreat. A slick sheen of liquid spreads across the alley floor in the direction the assassin's running in, cutting them off from a quick and easy retreat.


    (Noruva casts Grease in the alley ahead of the assassin; if they're not caught Grave's Command spell, then they'll need to make a DC 14 Dex saving throw to avoid falling prone as they keep running away)
    Avatar: Undyne of Undertale, artwork made by me

    Spoiler: Previously Played
    Show
    Andi, fisherwoman/sailor Triton Fighter/Warlock(celestial) - in The Black Omen Awaits (OOC / IC )

    Noruva, necromancer/sage Human (aberrant dragonmark) Wizard (School of Invention) - in Heroes of Eberron ( OOC / IC )

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Merveaux starts to reflexively correct Oren, but catches herself before she can say anything. Someone's life was on the line, there were more important things to worry about. She does as she's told, putting away her potion and diligently cleaning the needle as fast as she can. Luckily, she's used to this sort of prep work, and her nimble fingers move like lightning, before she passes the cleaned implements back to Oren.

    Once Amalia is stable, Merveaux turns her attention to Azela.

    "I wonder, darling, if you'd have any idea who might want to hurt this poor dear? Just on the off chance our friends fail to capture the assailant, I'd like to have a place to start looking."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Kaelas watches the “assassin” turn to run as his companions leap, either to chase him or to save the victim. He, on the other hand, quickly steps into the shadows afforded by the doorway and begins a thorough search of the surrounding area, looking for the inevitable “spotter” any competent sniper would have closer to the target.

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    roll: (1d20+4)[17]


    As the arrow is pulled free, Kaelas reaches for it, ”Identifying the poison may give a clue as to who fired the arrow.” . His eyes continue to search the shadows as he pulls a small, leather case from his belt. He spreads the contents out on the pew in front of him, unwrapping the velvet that covers several stoppered vials. Opening one, he allows the contents to drip onto the arrow, watching it sizzle as he sniffs the acrid smoke rising from his ministrations.

    Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    roll: (1d20+7)[24] +3 from Poisoner’s Kit proficiency
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    yuk Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Chasing the Assassin
    The cloaked assassin looks at Graves and stumbles towards him for a second before shaking off the magic.
    He quickly tries to turn and run before you can cross the street and get to him. he slips and falls on the magical slick on the ground. "Whoah"
    The assassin scrambles to his feet and scrambles into the alley. Noruva, Altar, and Graves cross the street, pushing past a few pedestrians and dodging out of the way of a House Orien carriage. You arrive just as the Assassin gets back onto his feet. He sees that he probably won't get away so he draws a curved dagger and a holy symbol.
    Spoiler: Noruva and Graves
    Show
    The symbol the assassin is holding is a symbol of the Blood of Vol, this specific symbol emphasizes the dragon skull more than most symbols and is usually used by certain sects of the emerald claw.

    Spoiler: Initiative for the combat with the assassin.
    Show
    Players: (1d20)[11]
    Assassin (1d20+1)[4]

    Edit:
    Spoiler: Environmental Effects
    Show
    The Environmental Effects in this combat are: speeding carriges, shady alleyway, shoe-shop storefront, crowds of pedestrians. Use any of these in a cool way in your description to get advantage, or some other benefit. (ask me about it I will probably allow it.

    In the Temple
    Mere seconds after the crossbow bolt hits Oren is already by the priest's side with a medical kit and a knife. The bolt is removed and the wound is quickly washed and cauterized. Azela snaps back into action after receiving orders and returns with a magical torch for light and a cloth to apply pressure, her robes still coated in blood. Eventually, while using the cloth to help stop the bleeding, she manages a short reply.
    "Wait, you're the pirate lady from second year meditational archery! And advanced first aid. Haven't seen you in a while."
    Merveaux quickly provides aid, washing and threading the needle and handing it to Oren with speed and precision. A silvery glow covers Lady Oren and Amalia, and the worst of the bleeding magically stops and the poison starts to leave the unconscious priest's veins. Lady Oren finishes the first aid and the crossbow bolt wound is bound, cauterized, and stable.
    Azela, the priest of the Blood of Vol, sees that Amalia is stable and turns to answer your questions.
    "My sister said that the Emerald Claw were threatening her and I. She said I should come here and that she hired some people to protect us. It looks like you arrived a bit late though. Although seeing how you are apprehending the assassin and you just saved my sister's life, I'd actually say you arrived right on time. Thanks for that by the way. Saving her I mean." Then her expression changes like she just realized something. "And if you hadn't shown up, then the last thing I said to her before losing her forever would have been a religious argument"

    Meanwhile, Kaelas is tracking the assassin. With a quick glance outside, he sees a half-elf leaving the outdoor tables of the lizardfolk restaurant next to the temple. While looking, he takes out a poisoners kit, and analyzes the poison on the crossbow bolt.

    Spoiler: Kaleas d'Thuranni
    Show
    The half-elf is leaving behind two plates full of fried swamp-snake dumplings and is intentionally not looking towards the temple or the altercation outside. You can tell that he is probably the spotter and working with the assassin.
    You can tell from the fumes of the poison that this is Blade-Ichor, a synthetic poison created during the Last War. It inflicts the poisoned condition and deals a small amount of damage each turn unless the poisoned creature succeeds a constitution save at the end of their turn. Assassins use a more concentrated version of it to make sure a target dies of the poison even if they get medical help. It does very little against divine magic though.
    Last edited by lukitux; 2018-08-28 at 08:45 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shimmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Graves stalks forward drawing the wicked looking glaive from their back as the armored Bone Knight moves towards the assassin with the liquid grace of a seasoned combatant. Menace dripping from their form with every movement as their silvery eyes promise only death at the familiar sight of the amulet their enemy wields. "Do you even know who I am?" Graves rasped out shifting their stance as they leveled their weapon at the man their gaze sparking with morbid interest.

    "Of course you don't. You would not be here if you did."
    The Bone Knight taunted their words a low susurrus whisper carrying like the hiss of a blade drawn from it's sheath in the narrow alleyway. "Your allies sent you to die. Lay down your weapons and you may yet be spared." Graves bargained inclining their head towards their enemy offering this small token of mercy. Informants were after all most useful alive. Of course there were always methods of taking the information unwillingly should he resist.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Graves uses their action to activate Channel Divinity: Dreadful Aspect on the assassin
    As an action, the paladin channels the darkest emotions and focuses them into a burst of magical menace. Each creature of the paladin's choice within 30 feet of the paladin must make a Wisdom saving throw if it can see the paladin. On a failed save, the target is frightened of the paladin for 1 minute. If a creature frightened by this effect ends its turn more than 30 feet away from the paladin, it can attempt another Wisdom saving throw to end the effect on it.

    Graves uses their bonus action to enter the Tunnelfighter stance
    -Fighting Style: Tunnel Fighter
    As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

    Graves attempts to intimidate their opponent into laying down their arms (1d20+6)[19]


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "Yes," says Altar, as they come to a stop in the alley, "yes I agree."

    Altar's stare bores into the assassin."You should do as the bone knight says," he adds.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidation: (1d20+7)[18]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Seeing that the poison had been nullified and the wound was healing, Kaelas slipped out the door to follow the half-elf spotter. Sticking to the shadows, his hand strays to the hilt of his rapier.

    Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    roll: [1d20+10[/roll]
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "Wait, you're the pirate lady from second year meditational archery! And advanced first aid. Haven't seen you in a while."
    Oren mumbles, "Not all Lahzaar are pirates."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    The Temple
    Azela is still somewhat panicked about the whole attempted assassination thing, but is trying to act normal and make conversation. You see that she is currently avoiding the door and windows, and staying behind the altar.
    "Oh, I know they're not all pirates. Are you saying you're completely sure that you aren't secretly the dread pirate Thundersail, learning to harness the power of the Flame so you can defend yourself from your nemesis, the ghost pirate of the crimson bay? Well, you're here instead of ruling a secret pirate island, so I assume that was just hearsay. Well, anyways, I haven't really seen you since I left Flamekeep. How have you been doing?"
    Spoiler: Lady Oren
    Show
    These rumors, along with others, were very common among people studying to be templars or priests. The alleged pirates and ghosts that she is referencing are just old sea myths


    The Street
    The assassin starts visibly shaking as the magical fear washes over him. His eyes dart around looking for an escape and his body language shows he is afraid. Even after he shakes the effects off, the bone knights words and the fearsome armor and glaive have him regretting the decisions that led up to this. The effect of that is amplified once the warforged with the golden blade arrives to back up the bone knight.
    He takes a step back and tries to turn dash away in another direction, almost tripping over Grave's glaive. As the glaive swishes by him, he is suddenly hit in the back by Altar's magical greatsword and falls to the ground.

    The assassin hits the ground and tries to scramble to his feet but is met with the point of the glaive an inch from his throat. The sword wound in his back makes him collapse onto the street and drop his knife and holy symbol. "Aargh ok. I'll cooperate. What do you want?"

    Meanwhile, the half-elf at the restaurant leaves and starts walking away, towards a bridge to another tower. He glances at nearly alleys and any people he sees to make sure he isn't being followed. Eventually he sees movement in the shadows of an alley and starts walking faster, cutting quickly around corners and trying to get lost in any crowds he gets near.
    Spoiler: Kaelas
    Show
    He is rolling stealth (with disadvantage because he is you are following him and can see him) (1d20+1)[9] (1d20+1)[10] You need to roll perception higher than this to keep following him. However, if you actually start chasing him or act more overtly you will be able to keep up with him easily, but he will clearly see you following him.
    Last edited by lukitux; 2018-08-29 at 10:47 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Perficio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    As Captain Graves and Altar very effectively stop the assassin's retreat, Noruva follows at a slower pace, and steps into some free space around the would-be assassin --- just in case he forgets, and makes a run for it anyway. Compared to the warforged or the armored knight, she's less obviously intimidating - somewhat shorter and slighter, mere leather armor, no obvious weapons. But her staff catches the light, sparkling with promises of different kinds of pain than a physical pummeling.

    She smiles thinly, leaning on her staff to look down at him. "Let's start somewhere... simple," she says, and looks pointedly at his holy symbol. "You've just come from impaling a rather harmless priest, out of the blue, in the middle of the day. Did you do this... by your own choice? For coin? Some... religious motivation?"
    Avatar: Undyne of Undertale, artwork made by me

    Spoiler: Previously Played
    Show
    Andi, fisherwoman/sailor Triton Fighter/Warlock(celestial) - in The Black Omen Awaits (OOC / IC )

    Noruva, necromancer/sage Human (aberrant dragonmark) Wizard (School of Invention) - in Heroes of Eberron ( OOC / IC )

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    The Street
    The assassin stays on the ground, completely surrounded. From this close, the cloak and the darkness of the alley no longer hide who he is. He is a blonde man in hes late 20s and looks to be from Cyre. He is wearing the clothes of a common laborer under the cloak. There is also a burn scar on his face, surrounding most of the area around his left eye.
    "Had to kill someone to get in. To the claw I mean. And then I'd get to use light within, and actually know the point of this plan. Our leader said that since I wasn't on the front lines fighting for Karrnath like everyone else I had to prove I was loyal and she was looking into whatever his plan was."
    The assassin stammers a reply, then realizes that his replies are somewhat implicating him.
    "I didn't want to do it if that's what your asking, but I guess I knew there would be killing when I joined up with them."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by lukitux View Post
    Azela, the priest of the Blood of Vol, sees that Amalia is stable and turns to answer your questions.
    "My sister said that the Emerald Claw were threatening her and I. She said I should come here and that she hired some people to protect us. It looks like you arrived a bit late though. Although seeing how you are apprehending the assassin and you just saved my sister's life, I'd actually say you arrived right on time. Thanks for that by the way. Saving her I mean." Then her expression changes like she just realized something. "And if you hadn't shown up, then the last thing I said to her before losing her forever would have been a religious argument"
    Merveaux smiles kindly.

    "No need to thank us, darling. It's the least we could do."

    She pauses, considering carefully what she'd been told.

    "Well, if the Emerald Claw is after you, as would seem to be the case, we'll need to keep the both of you safe. Otherwise those rapscallions will never stop. I'm afraid the only language they understand is violence.
    It's all so dreadfully uncouth, but there's little else we can do. Once the others return with whatever knowledge they've acquired from the assailant, we'll come up with a plan of action."


    She then adds, almost as an afterthought.

    "By the way, Oren dear... It's Merveaux, not Maryann. Just thought I'd let you know now that no one is about to die."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gorgon_Heap's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Christmas City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    The Temple


    Oren carefully washed the blood from her hands and almost objects to Azela's outlandish tale, but sighs and shakes her head. As far as rumors went, these were of the harmless sort. To Merveaux she shrugs and says, "Sorry," a little quizzical at Merveaux's assessment of violence. "Well, let's just hope the others don't 'uncouth' the assassin into multiple pieces. People can still speak after a flogging, but if they kill him we might need new leads."

    She turns back to Azela. "Unless you know why you or your sister are targets. I'm here and I'm doing my best to help those I can. What of you? I hope Amalia was just a bystander in something between the Blood and the Claw." Her tone is concerned with just a hint of disappointment, displeasure promised but withheld until she hears the truth.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "Uncouth is... One way to put it." Azela says, looking at her sister lying unconscious and blood-covered on the floor. "I would use words like attempted murder, willingly trying to end someone else's existence. And someone dedicated to the same faith too, if you can even call it the same faith. I don't know how they can inflict this kind of death in the name of a religion that is entirely based on preventing the loss of life."
    Azela takes a quick peek from behind the altar at the altercation happening on the other side of the street.
    "I'm glad that they got that murderer. Going after two peaceful priests like that...
    And why would they attack us? I know that they have been coming to the meetings I'm hosting and try to get people to join up with their radical sect, and I have been kicking them out. But they wouldn't kill someone over that, would they? I mean they mostly seem to target the Sovereign and people who fought against Karrnath. But my sister isn't a Templar and I served in an entirely non-combat role, so I have no idea why they are after it?"
    Last edited by lukitux; 2018-08-29 at 10:32 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Kaelas watched the half-elf from a distance, easily keeping pace with him at first. But as he reached the crowds and began to weave in and out among them, Kaelas had to pick up his pace to stay within range. Knowing this increased his chance of detection, he redoubled his efforts to stay hidden while continuing to follow the spotter.

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Roll 1: (1d20+4)[16] + (1d4)[2]
    Roll 2: (1d20+4)[8] + (1d4)[3]


    The decision to attempt to follow him back to the source was a gut reaction, but Kaelas had learned to trust his gut. That was also why he barely avoided detection, as the quarry turned and looked directly at him, but only after Kaelas had turned and began inspecting scarves in a vendor's window.
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2018-08-29 at 02:50 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "You will give us names, please," says Altar, his tone somewhere between a command and a request, "also places, and times. Any information which could help assure your safety. Not from us, but from the zealots you have just failed."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shimmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    The Bone Knight watches the would-be-assassin now turned prisoner with hard silver eyes. The man's brief attempt at an escape swiftly cut off before it could even begin. Lowering their glaive Graves carefully crouches and scoops up the assassin's knife and amulet tucking them into his belt for later evidence. Straightening the Bone Knight pauses to give Noruva a nod of thanks for circling behind their now captive before the Captain steps forward.

    "Were you attempting to infiltrate the claw at the request of another employer or merely seeking to prove yourself and join them to further your own aims?" The Captain questions gripping the mans chin with one clawed gauntlet clad hand as they tilt the assassins face to better catch the light. The man's words vague and easily misconstrued and Graves wanting nothing more then solid confirmation on just what the assassin was implying.

    "You'd do well to answer honestly." He spoke his voice a low eerie rasp as Graves shifted his grip on the man's face bringing the sharpened metallic claw of their metal clad hand to rest lightly against the man's lower eyelid. "You'll find when it comes to the Emerald Claw my mercy and patience is...limited." Graves threatened while applying the barest hint of pressure to the assassins eyelid. Not enough to damage, but enough to make it clear the Bone Knight had little qualms in rendering the assassin blind.

    (Rolling for intimidate. (1d20+6)[26] )

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    The Outskirts of Clifftop
    The Half-Elf keeps walking briskly, until he thinks that he has lost whoever is pursuing him. Then he starts crossing a slanted rope bridge that goes down from the tower you are on to a nearby group of warehouses. The warehouses are tied together and unsteadily attached to a nearby tower, and you can hear them creaking in the wind. There's a door on the side of one of the warehouses, and a guard dressed in black splintmail armor stands on the bridge next to the door. You've been in Sharn long enough to know that the warehouses, and the tower they are attached to are part of the Graywall district of Middle Tavick's Landing, a bit far from the temple where the rest of your party is at.
    He carefully walks down the bridge, all his attention spent on avoiding falling. When he gets to the end of the bridge, he opens the door of the warehouse the bridge is attached to and starts talking to the guard. You would have to cross onto the bridge to hear what they are saying.
    Spoiler: walking on the bridge
    Show
    Acrobatics or stealth check to walk onto the bridge without making it sway too much and alerting the guards that they are on it.


    Across the Street
    The assassin shrinks after the idea that the claw might come after him He starts considering whether the Emerald Claw will kill him more painfully than the bone knight in front of him. "Me failing is already going to not go over well with the commander... but you're right here with weapons pointed at me, but the commander will definetely throw me in the pit full of zombies and zombified traitors if I reveal anything.."

    Then the armored gauntlet directly on the surface of his eye causes him to quickly make a decision. "I mean yes ok names... Gravelpath, D'Phirilan, Lencet, ... and I joined because they said the gods are why the mourning happened... but since I was from Cyre... please don't stab me in the eye with your hand... and whatever he's planning is at midnight..." He is terrified and all of his answers are running into each other. Eventually he manages to get out something coherent. "So I can tell you who our leader is, he's Commander Gravelpath of the Emerald Claw. And he is recruiting members for some sort of large ritual at midnight today that the priest was too close to finding out. And I had to kill her to prove I was a real member of the Claw because I was from Cyre and not Karrnath. I didn't have any ulterior motives for joining, he just made it sound so convincing. How can you have your entire nation and people dissolved into nothing and not do anything about it? We meet in a warehouse in Graywall, that seems to be our base of operations, and I can take you there if you don't kill me. Is there anything else I can tell you so you can not rip out my eye?"

    Spoiler: Noruva and Graves
    Show
    You know Commander Gravelpath. You both have had to work on research projects or military operations with him during the war. He was part of the Emerald Claw and used to be a Commander in Karrnath's military. He is most famous for his decision to force his living troops to hold the line while his undead forces withdrew from a losing battle, because according to him "Undead can hit a lot harder, don't need rations or sleep, and always follow orders. Why shouldn't we prioritize them?". He wasn't really that above-average tactically, but his skill with necromancy and his willingness to cross lines that even other Emerald Claw members wouldn't cross helped him win battles. He was discharged from the military for forcing some research teams (Noruva, you know some people who were on these teams) to create an artifact that would amplify the planar impact of deaths in the area to turn a particularly bloody battlefield into a manifest zone to Mabar and animate all the dead as zombies. He completed the artifact but when he began to send hundreds of troops on suicide missions on the same battlefield in order to create an area that was densely packed with corpses, word got out to the General who stripped him of his rank and sentenced him to prison until a tribunal could be assembled. He was presumed dead since the army had to evacuate the prison because of the Mourning.
    Last edited by lukitux; 2018-08-29 at 10:35 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    One of Altar's eyes sparkles.

    "There's a Phiarlan involved? Or are they a target?"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shimmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "Gravelpath...." Graves rumbles out in a low irritated snarl that speaks well enough of his opinion on the ex-Commander. Still the Bone Knight carefully slides their clawed metal fingertip away from the man's eye the assassin having proven his worth.

    "I saw the Mourning first hand from the banks of the Cyre River. Pulled boat after boat of your people and mine from across those cursed waters. Mark my words only mortals could produce such an atrocity." The Bone Knight huffed out in a low growl their eyes briefly distant in memory before they shook themselves once more and reached out hauling the assassin to his feet.

    "What's your name?" Graves questioned gruffly grabbing some rope from their pack to bind the man's hands behind his back all the while making a mental note to pick up some manacles. He hadn't been expecting to take prisoners today.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    As the metal gauntlet moves from his eye, the assassin starts to respond to the speech about Cyre, while blinking and trying to rub his eye.
    "But if the Sovereigns are all powerful and always present, that means they must have allowed it to happen along with every other atrocity. They created a world full of suffering and pain and we are forced to live and die in it. But the divinity within..." As you tie his hands together he realizes that this is not the time for the 'the gods hate you but the blood of vol can defeat them' speech that you've all heard from so many other seekers trying to convert you. "The name's Thomas. And... you were the knight who was helping people evacuate the Mourning?"
    He also answers the Warforged's questions.
    "I don't know much about the Phirilan though. I've just seen him come to the warehouse and talk to the commander every few days. He's Vasann d'Phirilan, he comes in disguise but I'm kind of a fan and his voice sounds the same as during his songs. I have no idea what he's doing in the Claw though."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shimmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "I...yes. Yes that was me." The Bone Knight murmurs in a soft rasp after a long moment clearly having considered not answering at all. Seeing as such a day was not one they remembered fondly. "Captain Graves of the 77th Gravedigger Company." Graves introduced themselves, the insignia shield bolted to their shoulder showing the truth in their words. Hauling 'Thomas,' if that was his real name, to his side the Bone Knight began to lead the man back to the church.

    "I know Gravelpath. You're a fool for throwing your lot in with him. He wanted nothing more to do unto Cyre with necromancy what the Mourning did to your country with magic. That man cares nothing for the living and barely a hairs breadth more for the dead. I'd pray he's not attempting to continue his research, but I don't believe in the gods just like I don't believe I'm lucky enough for him to leave well enough alone." Graves rumbled out pitching their voice low so only Thomas and Graves current companions could pick up on his words. The Bone Knight's silver eyes sharp and alert as they escorted their prisoners on the off-chance the Emerald Claw decided to dispose of the man.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Perficio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "I've... heard of him," Noruva hedges, and doesn't volunteer an explanation as to how well. One of her hands, in a particularly thick glove, begin tapping a muffled irregular pattern on her staff, and she nods to Graves. "You speak truly; it's a given that the Host is worthless, but those ridiculous extremists of the Emerald claw... They don't have any integrity to speak of. You're just another cooling body to them," she tells the assassin, scowling down at him as a hint of some Karrn accent gets stronger in her voice,"a tool to snuff out the spark of life in anyone but themselves. They sacrificed untold numbers of living people - even their fellow Karrn - and that's why... Why do you think they were outlawed? They were effective at killing, but so indiscriminate about it that they harmed their own people as much as anything. Don't be a fool, looking to them for loyalty or trust. You won't get it."

    Noruva moves a little out of the way as Graves finishes gathering their new prisoner, and glances around them for signs that anyone will stop them from taking this prisoner. She wants this assassin taken, alive, and brought where people can push him for more information.


    (Rolling for Insight on whether the assassin believes what he's telling us, and whether we've convinced him to sincerely surrender: (1d20+2)[12])
    Avatar: Undyne of Undertale, artwork made by me

    Spoiler: Previously Played
    Show
    Andi, fisherwoman/sailor Triton Fighter/Warlock(celestial) - in The Black Omen Awaits (OOC / IC )

    Noruva, necromancer/sage Human (aberrant dragonmark) Wizard (School of Invention) - in Heroes of Eberron ( OOC / IC )

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    "Anyone who preaches that the solution to being wronged is to wrong others plans to profit from it," says Altar. After a long pause, he continues.

    "I concur, we should learn why a dragonmarked entertainer is involved with the Emerald Claw."

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Heroes of Eberron (IC)

    Kaelas follows the half-elf right up to the bridge, but is unable to hear from there. Molding himself against the railing and pulling his hood up, he slips out on the bridge, inching over until he can hear what is being said.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+10)[12] + (1d4)[2] Intuition
    Advantage Roll (1d20+10)[24] + (1d4)[4] Intuition
    (Take the best of the two)
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •