New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 3: With government backing we can make it very silly

Ball Station

I haven't done anything to lose Veronica's new shiny charm anklet, so if it's missing it's Wolfy's fault.

As they leave the bunker, they'll find the bones of Professor Baobab and Jester have been disturbed by people searching the bodies without being careful or respectful. The people who were so disrespectful stand at the top of the steps, three of them. They're all human, and dressed similarly- two men, one woman. The first and slightly closest is a man wearing a slightly battered black jumpsuit with a massive, toxic green A emblazoned on the front, hidden slightly by some crude scrap metal worked into armour- he's got gauntlets and a pauldron made from what look like parts from a car's bodywork, and he's wearing a canvas sack over his head with eye holes cut in it and another A painted on with yellow paint- the same colour as road markings. Next is the woman, wearing an identical black jumpsuit, except she's got a leather jacket over the top and she's bare-headed, save a pair of sunglasses missing the left lens. There's a scar on the right side of her face, going under the sunglasses and over her eye, and her hair has been dyed purple and spiked into a mohawk. Behind them is the third figure, a man wearing a tailored suit that doesn't fit him well and a fedora, holding a cane with a sevipper's head worked into the handle and ending in a spike shaped after that pokemon's vicious tail-blade.

The man in the suit speaks first, hiding behind his thugs. "This bunker and its contents are the rightful property of Team Atom. Hand over everything you have found, and you won't get hurt. It doesn't pay to mess with the desires of Team Atom."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ball Station]

Jace's eyes dart around the hall, appraising the situation. Three goons. The criminals the professor vowed to keep his research from. Good, he doesn't have to hold back on thieves and bandits. Well, maybe on petty thieves, blasting someone for picking a pocket is too extreme. But these? He knows their type. And Veronica can't do much except shoot with her drone in an enclosed environment like this. Using his gun is also unwise in this small, metallic bunker.
    Jace tilts his head at the man, clearly not threatened in the slightest.
    "Are you threatening us, little man? You're out of your league."
    Jace makes a show of his own, flicking one single finger at the man in the metal armor.
    "Piss off." a small jolt of electricity flies from his finger at the man. It's a very low powered shock, not generally lethal to an adult human.
    But it will likely be extremely painful.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Ball Station

Veronica doesn't speak, but her displeasure is obvious as she pulls a pair of thin vials from her belt and holds them between her fingers, ready to throw them. One is a bubbly green and the other is a frost-covered blue. Neither of them look particularly pleasant and were likely weapons ready to be thrown.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Ball Station

The man in the hood yelps and jerks a little, before growling and pulling out a battered red-and-white sphere, tossing it down to release the pokemon inside. A purple, cratered orb floats up, surrounding itself with thick, black smog. "You're little jotik don't stand no chance gainst me koffing. Her her her." The Atom Grunt's voice is thick and thuggish.

"Wait, you imbecile. We of Team Atom saw the damage humanity was doing to the planet and its pokemon. We saw the only way forward was to curb humanity's prolific growth and, if possible, prevent humanity ever achieving such a position of unnatural dominance over the natural world and all its creatures. We... Underestimated how destructive our attempt to restore the balance would be, and now we seek only to return the world to its prior, human-free state of pristine wilderness. Hand over the research, and our goal will advance. We are not the villains our forefathers were, do not judge us by a dead man's accusations." Violence doesn't start yet, but... The administrator's words do not seem particularly virtuous. Nor do his grunts look like anything so much as hired thugs.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ball Station]

Jace looks like he was just proudly told that someone used a master ball on a caterpie. That wasn't shiny. Oh, hello discount Char Aznable. Zebes.Right. Poison type. Toxic sludge. Poison gas. We don’t have masks, Boss. No ventilation. That thing is a time bomb. Also literally it is a time bomb. If they go first we’re dead. I can’t flap that much smoke away. Jace clenches his jaw, looking between the various people.
    "Oh, I'm so, so sorry. I mistook your goals. I thought you wanted money, but you actually want genocide. That makes my life so much easier. Color Spray." He says, with utter disdain. The intense blast of colors that follows ya s proven to cause sight damage, temporary loss of cognitive function, and unconsciousness. Consult your player’s guide if symptoms last more than 2d4 rounds.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2018-11-24 at 07:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Ball Station

Veronica had actually been about to speak, kind of wanting to hear more details about the group's plans and then was going to try and point out the likely hypocrisy of it all, but then her boyfriend had thrown a lightning bolt into the mix and that changed everything. Maybe because it was her first time facing living people as her opponents, she hadn't wanted to try and kill them but perhaps later she might realize it was a bit of a naive way to think when it came down to raiders and villains. For now however, she throws her two potions at the goon with the Koffing and the Koffing itself. When they shatter, the blue one releases a cloud of chilling mist to numb, whereas the green one spews forth an explosion of sticky green ooze to restrict. Together the goo will grab and immobilize while the mist chills it to turn it into a veritable prison.

It was non-lethal and would hopefully just bind the goon and the Koffing for a couple hours until they could flee.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2018-11-29 at 07:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Ball Station

The thugs collapse as Jace knocks them out with his spell, the koffing also falling asleep and spinning gently towards the ceiling as its mind is affected by the attack.

Well, that's them dealt with. Team Atom is no longer an issue- at least, for now. They might turn up again, or maybe have other cells elsewhere in the Nexus or their post-apocalyptic pokemon home.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2018-11-24 at 09:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ball Station]

Jace moves immediately, running up and digging through his bag for rope.
    ”They won’t be out for long; we have to do something about them.”

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Ball Station

Veronica pulls out a second Goo Potion instead and tosses it between the two fallen gangsters, hopefully bding them up as well. It wouldn't last as long as the frozen goo on the first goon, but it would last for a good while. "Easier than rope. Safer too. We can probably head out quickly from here. Hopefully there aren't more of them." She wishes, sounding a bit nervous about the thought of heading up tot he surface to find out, but ready to go regardless.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Ball Station

The Team Atom grunts are goo'd in place!

On the surface, there's a few new things present. One of those things is a vehicle, a battered van with chickenwire bolted over the windscreen, as there's no glass in it. The tyres are ragged and bald, wrapped in snow-chains to provide grip the tyres otherwise lack. There's not glass in the other windows either, and the passenger side door is sealed with a bumper ripped from another vehicle bolted across it. Spray-painted onto the peeling white paint on either side is a large letter A, in the same style as the grunt's uniforms. Propped up against the van's side is a dirt bike, in just as poor a condition, with a machete hanging from just behind the saddle. There's a battery torch bolted between the handlebars, as the bike's original light isn't working.

There's a gunshot from the haunted house, followed by a scream and two voices cackling in unison. A grunt in a torn jumpsuit with steel baking-trays strapped across his torso runs out, wearing a bandanna about his lower face and wearing cracked swimming goggles over his wild eyes. He'll completely ignore Veronica and Jace, as he's focused entirely on climbing onto the dirt bike, starting it and... And he's having trouble starting it, as it happens.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ball Station]

Jace makes a point of confiscating the pokeballs of all the criminals.

Once outside, Jace tosses a heavy shard of ice through the motorbike. He's showing off more than anything else. He gets close, but doesn't risk doing the full routine of smashing him against the van.

"Listen up you genocidal filth. I don't know who your boss is, but your guy over there isn't coming back unless I'm feeling merciful. So you go tell your crew that's left that if they show those tasteless uniforms around this area again I'll put them all in the ground, just like they want for the rest of humanity. We don't need psychos like you around, and it seems the locals don't either.
    Now.
    Start running."
    he rumbles, conjuring some fire over his hands for effect.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

[The Empyreum]

Her senses expanding are the very first thing Yakoel feels. Or things, rather. There are more than a few more exotic senses that just can't exist inside the game. And the first thing those senses inform her of? The Sea of Glass pressing down on her from all sides except one. That last one, of course, being the roiling, vibrating topography of the event horizon she's flopped again. A vast boiling expanse, featureless save for the intricate play of symbols always dancing across its surface. Budding and popping and spreading and flowing and swirling.

The Eternal Game, as viewed from the outside.

You learn to read it, if you watch it long enough. And to Yakolel, as she levels an aspect of her gaze, two aspects stand out.

One?

"Floofing horn-toothed orcbug banished me," she grouses.

And two?

"And now the ungrateful elf is stealing my celery," the seraphim groans, scowling at the offending symbols swirling above the inky, bottomless background.

She decides to just lay there for a while. She really messed up. She should have anticipated that the shape-shifting horrors might pack other kinds of magic. Though, if nothing else, now that she's been exposed to it once already she'll be resistant to it next time. Being Adaptation comes with a few perks.

"Okay... my pass is still active. I'm just locked out for... a while. Great. Very specific and informative. How's everyone else doing...?" she mutters as her eyes rove over the Game, taking in fractally complex details. "Raril is sort of freaking out. That's fair. Kara and Navvy are doing alright. There goes mister skittering headbug. I am going to squash you so hard as soon as I make it back in, you don't even know it," she growls, pointing a hoofy talon at the offending blocks of code. Then something rather odd catches her attention. "And... huh... that's weird. What I'm doing here is echoing in there, somehow?"

An ear twitches toward the sound of someone else moving on the scaffolding above, metal marrow flooding the whole layer with the Searing Light of Truth. Keeps gross stuff from wriggling its way out of the Game. "Someone up there?" Yakolel calls out.

"I was just having fun watching you get booted," comes a snide reply. She can tell without even looking that they're smaller than she is. Copper host, Logos aligned. "And now you're lounging around on top of the Game like some kinda perverse lizard. Are you still pining over the elf?"

"Funny."

"I sure thought so!"

"I could climb up there and eat you, you know," Yakolel threatens.

"Yeah, but by the time you manage to wedge your fat butt through the scaffolding I'll be outta here," the beast hoots. "This is a copper host integration sector. You must have advanced while you were in the Game. Congrats and I hate you."

Yakolel gives a non-committal grunt as she rises to her hooves and stretches her wings. Everything feels kind of achy. Getting out of the Game is always like that. "Hey, you know why the Game is echoing what's happening here reality-side?" she asks.

"Oh! You must have picked up a Mad Prophet or two while you were in there. They're probably having an inspiring vision of me making fun of you right now," the beast retorts.

The seraph replies with a hissing growl and begins slinking off in search of a sector with larger pores for her to climb through. She really doesn't feel like getting stuck trying to climb through a sector that's too small for her.

"You're welcome!" the beast shouts after her. "Fluffing bronzy..."

"Okay," Yakolel mutters to herself as she meanders her way across the Game's surface. "I told everyone else I was planning on studying some esoteric topics here anyway. Timing is off, but I can still do that. Ooh, there we go. Bronze host access."

She hooks her claws into a pore looming over the Game and hauls herself through, climbing up into the next three Layers. It's like an adorable tiny city, all fashioned from sponge and marrow and coral and drifting iridescent bubbles. Cherubs scatter like fleeing civilians before a kaiju as she ascends, which is fitting since she's approximately a hundred times their size. The first few Layers closest to the Game are always devoted mostly to cherubs and their nonsense. The so-called 'wood host'. It's derisive and mean spirited and she tries to avoid that terminology. She also tries to avoid stepping on them, but hey, accidents happen. They probably shouldn't build their teeny little civilizations so close to bronze-host access pores in the first place, but no one has ever accused them of being wise.

The seraphim continues to ascend, climbing ever higher into the mounted tiers of the celestial realm, crushing far fewer shoddy buildings as she goes. Everything's getting bigger pretty rapidly, and soon she'll be in the Layers devoted to empyreans of her own host. Her own new host, technically. Yakolel hasn't actually been up this high before, so this is kind of exciting! The transition from cherub to copper host had been pretty stark, so she's honestly curious to see what the Layer design is going to be like the next tier up.

Only one way to find out!

Up, up and away!

"Okay yeah this is pretty impressive," Yakolel breaths as she walks upon streets of gold, clear as crystal. Apparently someone figured out how to make the Light of Truth into a solid thing? The radiance of the place is staggering. She's pretty sure she would immolate on the spot if she were still human. Though chances are, even if a human were somehow able to get up here somehow without undergoing apotheosis they would probably be at a loss, if the odd gobsmacked cherub or puti scurrying around is any indication. Everyone up here is Yakolel's size, with the odd silver host passing through. Everything's sized for beings that would make Godzilla seem kind of runty by contrast. It feels normally proportioned to Yakolel, but when you spy a cherub the size of a smallish beetle and realize that humans are about that big?

It kind of puts things in perspective.

Golden spires loom everywhere, dominating the more 'natural' parts of the landscape. Coral and sponge and marrow and iridescent orbs. The scent of incense is heavy, and the beat of the world's heart pulses with song. Other empyreans of her host are out and about on their own inscrutable errands. There's a society up here. Yakolel knows that. It distances itself more from the Game the higher one goes. But she's not terribly familiar with the specifics. She spent most of her time just putting herself back together and building up her own strength with the hope of making it into the Game. If being a cherub is childhood and being of the copper host is adolescence, then being in the bronze host is getting tossed headlong into adult-hood. And Yakolel made it to adult-hood in record time.

Which explains why she's standing there in wide-eyed wonderment, quite at a loss from the sight.

"Up here for the first time?"

Yakolel jumps at the voice, drawing her attention back to her immediate surroundings. Another bronze host like her, of course. A Dominion of the angels. Wings and eyes and arms, vaguely bird-like. Perception, magic, unconsciousness, shape. Something about dreams? Empyreans don't dream. Dreaming is quite unlike them. So that's something of an unusual combination. But then again, empyreans don't really grow and adapt either. Maybe it's the unusual combinations that help them out so much?

Chalowmel.

Yakolel shows her teeth in an awkward smile. "Is it that obvious?"

"A little bit," the angel replies. It moves around her, suspended by force of will and little else, innumerable wings splayed in all directions, hands held in signs of blessing, unblinking eyes scrutinizing. "I recognize you. Divine Endurance Through Dizzying Harmony Overcomes Adversity. You call yourself 'Dizee' on the Ladder. There was rejoicing when you ascended to the bronze host. And no small part of envy at the haste with which you've attained your station."

Yakolel tenses slightly. Is there going to be a fight? Fights break out pretty regularly in the lower Layers, empyreans devouring each other to attain higher status. The angel seems to recognize this and laughs, a clear clean sound.

"You needn't worry about violence. We are more civilized in the higher reaches of the heavens. And I for one do not begrudge you for your accomplishment," the angel says, using several hands to make gestures of peace. "There is speculation regarding you, whether you will manage to attain gold host in less than twenty million years. Your meteoric rise has attracted the attention of benefactors."

The seraphim perks up at that. "I know someone sponsored me. I shouldn't have been able to get into the Game yet. Do you know who coughed up the Icons?"

"I am afraid not," the angel admits. "But with some persistence, you could likely discover the answer. This is, of course, assuming that you are not approached by one of their representatives. They likely want something of you, as I doubt they wished to reunite you with the fantasies you've grown fond of."

Okay, now that gets a bit of a reaction from Yakolel. A bristling, her scales standing on end, the Light of Truth shining through the gaps. "Please don't talk about my friends like that. If you've been following my escapades at all, you know where I stand on the ontology debate."

Again, gestures of peace are made toward her. "I meant no offense."

Yakolel gives a sigh, her attention roving across the heavenly city again. "I was hoping to find a library. Is there one nearby?"

That question gets another laugh from the angel. "Innumerable pardons. It is easy to forget how recent your apotheosis was; you still think in mortal terms. The city spanning these Layers, it is built from the Light of Truth bound by the Living Word and cured with the Breath of Reason. So the very bricks you tread upon, they are...?"

The angel draws out the question, allowing Yakolel draw her own conclusion here.

Okay, now she feels kind of dumb. "Knowledge. The whole city is literally made of knowledge."

"You speak Correctly," the angel replies. "Merely find a location that feels peaceful. Meditate on the knowledge you seek and you will find it, if it is to be found. I wish you well on your journey." And then the angel departs, simply rising off with a vague gesture with his wings and vanishing through a portal on the face of a spire.

Yakolel simply sits there for a time, staring off into the brilliance that surrounds her. And then her revere is broken by a stern, "Miss Glory, you are blocking the pore."

She gives a small eep and scoots out of the way, allowing a Season to ascend, briefly regarding her through the whirling set of wheels it possess in place of anything that might resemble a head.

"Sorry," comes Yakolel's sheepish reply as she quickly retreats down the streets of gold. She's acting like such a tourist, rubber-necking at all the sights. But how is someone supposed to respond to all this? The lower layers were strange and alien, but everything up here? It's breath-taking. She'll have to figure out how things work up here sooner or later. There are rules, certainly. Correct ways to do things. Now that she knows the whole city is, in effect, a library that should make things easier to figure out.

Right?

She sure hopes so.

A quick ping of the Eternal Game informs her that she's still locked out for 'a while'. Which is maddeningly vague. She'll just have to poke around in the celestial city a bit until she can head back to the Nexus. Maybe find a few answers? And get something to eat. Definitely get something to eat. She has the Icons for it. There had been plenty to earn from spreading her touch within the Eternal Game and squashing some faeries. But that's a lower priority. Priority one is doing what she had told her friends and her husband she would be doing.

After a bit of searching, she finds a nice, spongy green hill in the middle of a park laden with sculptured forms and pleasing shapes. She reclines on the hillock, touches the end of her tail to a golden wall, and closes her eyes. "Just meditate on the knowledge I'm after, and I'll find it... okay."

Focus.

Focus focus focus.

Nothing.

She opens one eye. Then several more.

"I have no idea what I'm doing."

"Maybe you would know more if you had spent more time learning and less time eating people," comes a tiny voice.

Yakolel's head swings around as she tries to identify the source of the voice. "Who's there?"

"This is your conscience speaking. We haven't talked in a while."

"Ha ha. You sound like a cherub. You had better not be crawling around parasitizing me, because I'll be pretty cross with you," the seraphim warns.

"Ah, hehe, maybe a little? I'm a big fan, Dizee! I've been following you since all the yous showed up and organized your efforts to systematically stomp Arena matches. We even played together a few times,"
    comes the tiny voice. "I ran into your putti in that Nexus match. She seemed pretty cool. And don't worry! I didn't shoot at her or drop any spoilers on her. Just told her to look me up once she logs out for the first time."

"Okay..." the Glory replies after a few moments of consideration. "Nice to know I have fans?" Tiny fans crawling around on her. Chatting. "Is there something you wanted?"

Aside from nibbling at her, probably.

"You're trying to access the city's knowledge, right? You've never done that before. But I have! I sneak up here all the time riding on bronze hosts. I've gotten pretty good at it,"
    the cherub replies. Apparently he's quite the accomplished tick. "I could tell you how to interface with the database..."

"But you want something in return?" the seraphim guesses.

"Bingo! Nothing big. Just encourage your 'daughter' to buddy me when she logs out, okay?" the cherub asks.

Yakolel heaves a sigh. "Fine, alright. I'll do it. How do you access the city's knowledge?"

"Haha, great! It's really easy. You just have to-"

Turns out it WAS pretty easy and Yakolel feels kind of silly in retrospect. She was treating it like reading a book. That wasn't it at all. It was more like remembering something you hadn't actually learned yet. Which is a concept she's still trying to wrap her head around. The angel had been right, she still thinks in mortal terms. And... does she really want to stop? She doesn't want to grow further away from the people she cares about if she can help it. Sure she has a few allies up here, but real, true friends are something that's hard to come by. To other empyreans she might be a rival or an asset. Or maybe a source of inspiration, as in the case of the little cherub. There are alliances, but alliances can be broken pretty quickly when the situation demands it. The Arena sort of sets the stage for all interactions. Sure you might be working with someone through most of it, but in the end there can be only one and you're always waiting for that sword in the back.

Her friends.

It's hard to guess how much time has passed for them. From her perspective it's been a bit over two days. It might have been just a few minutes to them. Or a few weeks. All depends on where she was in the timeline.

She had time to search out the knowledge she needed (answer, yes Icons can be destroyed. The Mount Doom joke wasn't totally inaccurate). She also had some time to learn about the society of the higher hosts, perform a few odd jobs for extra Icons, and bought herself a nice meal. Part of which she still has clamped in her jaws as she descends down through the layers toward the Eternal Game. She hadn't figured out who had sponsored her, though. Her intuition is telling her it was her 'mother', K'rax-Naggath, but she couldn't find any corroborating evidence. The answer wasn't immediately relevant, but she really wanted to know who might come calling for favors.

It isn't long before the Game stretches before her, now lacking the tension and resistance it had two days ago. It'll allow her back in. And so Yakolel quickly finishes her snack, braces herself against the roiling event horizon, and allows herself to sink below it's surface. The feeling of dissolving is... weird. Not unpleasant. Just strange. And as her body comes unwound she thinks of the people she loves.

With a start, the warlock Azir el T'thun awakens from his trance. He has seen a vision of the heavenly realm! And though the details are quickly slipping between his fingers like sand, he begins to furiously write what he recalls. A new source of power to call upon, a new star shining brightly.

"Yakolel..."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2018-12-18 at 12:27 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Ball Station

Veronica is about to comment about how it looks like the goon had run across the little Skull-Spook from earlier, but she stops when she sees her boyfriend impale a motor bike with ice and ready fire. Well, that was certainly one way to deal with them. She takes a look over her shoulder, just to be sure that there wasn't anyone sneaking up on them before leaning over towards Jace. "I'm not sure, but I think he was already fleeing. If you think that van is operational, we could steal it." She whispers.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Not Ball Station Any More

The minute the bike's disabled, the guy hops off it and starts running away.

He already was running away. He had a few fighting-type pokemon, which... Didn't help him much against a pair of ghosts.

There's nobody sneaking up on them, however.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

[No Longer Ball Station]

Jace drops the serious look.
    "Oh I know. I just thought to scare him a bit extra. Maybe he'll tell his goon buddies and they'll give up their lives of crime and genocidal ideals. Anyway, yeah, we could nix the van. Think we should take our buddies down there to the authorities with it or just leave 'em? Technically no one has jurisdiction out here but they might be wanted in Inside." he suggests.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Raiders Raiders Go Away

"Unless you've got some way of binding them and making sure they stay bound for hours, then I say just leave them here. If they've angered the ghosty guy, then they might suffer and give up their goals far easier than tossing them into the slammer would."
    Veronica reasons as she tries to open the back of the van to take a look inside anyway. "After a glance through this, I say we skedaddle before whatever powers-that-be that trapped the people here in the first place trap us here too. Possible dimensional collapse and all that. We'll head back home, get a large dinner, toss on a movie, make out, and go to bed. Or, you know, just pass out ten minutes after getting back. Whatever works."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Ruins of Juniperwood Town

The van's not locked, they weren't expecting to be defeated and they weren't expecting anyone else nearby to steal from them. In the back there's a Pokémon healing device, a pair of green metal ammunition boxes and a large barrel of bio-diesel to serve as fuel to keep the van going. There's also a bench for passengers to sit on, with a revolver shotgun under it. In the cab, there's a glove box and ripped seating with some signs of historic repair- but it needs repairing again, too. The keys for the engine are hanging from a nail projecting from the dashboard, if either Jace or Veronica want to drive.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

[Juniperwood Town Ruins]

Jace nods and goes to the van, though Zebes hops into the driver’s seat in a familiar human form he never uses. Jace rolls his eyes as his familiar sticks out his tongue. ”I can drive way better than you, boss.”
    Jace takes the time to start releasing all the Pokémon the goons had on them.
    ”Tell me if you want to keep any. I’m sure they’d be happier with you or one of your siblings than those crazies.”

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Raider Van

Veronica spreads her wings quickly over the pokeballs before any can be released. "We don't know that, dear." She points out, a small frown on her face. "That smoggy floating one seemed pretty happy to be with its master, and just because we don't like the guys doesn't mean they don't treat their friends well. Release them all and you might be doing the critters more harm than good. What if some are fish? I don't see any access to water." She reasons. "Let's leave them all and just take the van."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

[Raider Van]

Jace finds some truth in that, but remains determined.
    ”I don’t care if they worshipped the ground they walked on. I’m not leaving trained bio-weapons in the hands of genocidal cultists. The floating one could have filled the whole bunker with toxic gas if I hadn’t struck first. I’ll be happy to leave them at the Pokémon center for the professionals to handle and care for, but those psychopaths are not getting them back.
    Besides, twenty minutes ago I had a conversation with a Pokémon about the life, death, and reincarnation of his master and how he felt about it. Nexus Pokémon have quasi or actual sapience way too often for me to ignore the chance some of these guys are basically slaves. You know who would never forgive me if she found out.”

What? Jace’s pokemon daughter might have conflicted feelings about Pokémon trainers? Who would have thought?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Raider Van

There's two Koffing floating in clouds of purple smog, including the one still unconscious from the Colour Spray. There's also a Zubat, a Stunky and an Alolan Ratticate. The man in the suit has a Dwebble and a Houndour.

They're a little confused as to why they're being released, by somebody other than their trainers. But they'll do what Jace asks, since he freed them. They weren't exactly mistreated, but- especially for the suited man- they were always an afterthought. Fed the worst food, or going hungry if there wasn't much around, treated more like tools than pets.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruins of Juniperwood Town

Veronica narrows her eyes a bit and squares her jaw, clearly unhappy before removing her wings. "Bio-weapons? Says the spellcaster who could have likely wiped this place off the map with enough work." She says bitterly. "But I know an argument I'm not going to win when I see one. Do what you will, but if they run amok or hurt us or each other, that's not on me." The harpy backs off before heading up to the passenger seat to strap herself in.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

[Raider Van]

"I could have. I don't see how that's relevant." Jace is a fully self-aware person, not a quasi-sapient animal in need of affection and training.
    Zebes will drive away with them, off to see a pokemon center.
    Jace will let some of the pokemon out of their balls (not the koffing as it's just too dangerous while they're in an enclosed space) and let them ride in the van to the city if they're well behaved. Especially the houndour as Jace and Zebes totally aren't biased by the fact that it's a big fuzzy dog. He might even earn some head-scratches.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Raider Van

None of the pokemon run amok, or attack each other. The Alolan Raticate will try to curl up and sleep in Veronica's lap, whilst the Dwebble skitters under a seat. The Zubat sleeps, hanging from the back of one of the chairs. The Houndour is a boy, and will lean into any scratches given eagerly.

Controlling the van a little tricky; many of the dials don't work, and the tyres are old and balding. The radio does work, however, and it's tuned into a station playing a song.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2019-01-11 at 08:05 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Raider Van

Veronica won't comment at all during the drive, clearly annoyed and a fair bit upset, but she doesn't take it out on the Pokemon. She'll wrap a wing around the Alola Raticate to keep it warm and comfortable. She might ultimately have been proven wrong, but that doesn't mean she didn't believe that she had one hell of a point.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

[Raider Van]

”See? All they wanted this whole time was a little love.” Jace says. Not in the gloating sort of way. More in the sort of way one might speak to a dog. Because Jace is talking to the houndour mostly and barely paying attention to anything else. Jace hasn’t had a dog to play worth since a certain wolf named after a tree...
    The houndour is likely going to be pampered until they arrive at the Pokémon center where he plans on delivering the Pokémon into professional care.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Raider Van

The houndour loves the attention he's getting, and wags his tail. He's very warm, as would befit a fire-type.

The ratticate on Veronica's lap snuggles in tight.

At the Centre, they'll all be given a lot of attention and fuss from the Nurse Joys and other associated employees, who can tell they weren't given as much attention as they deserve.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Raider Van => PokeCenter

Veronica will hold onto the Alolan Raticate as she looks around the Pokecenter, letting Jace handle all the discussion necessary. When it finally comes time to give it up and head out though, she looks down at the pudgy rat-thing and gives an audible sigh. "...fine. Alright, bring them all back. I'll take them home." She declares with a sigh. "I know I'll regret it, but I can't just leave them here in the vain hope someone else comes along to adopt them." She admits before looking at whichever Nurse Joy is closest. "I'm not going to battle them or anything, but if I could have whatever reading is appropriate for them, even the...Koffings I think they were called, I'll take that, whatever equipment is needed to keep them at home, and whatever amount of feed I'll need. I have my debit card in my purse to pay for it all."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

In a flash of bright light, Willa and Corvus find themselves in a foreign land. They stand on a simple dirt road. The sun beats down from above and the air is dry in their mouth. Any extra layers of clothing they might have been wearing for the chilly mountain base will immediately feel stifling. Around them there's mostly sandy dirty and hardy grasses and shrubs. Looking further, a vast ocean laps against the beach. Things are a bit more green that direction and the occasional moist breeze is the only relief from the sweltering heat. The opposite direction looks quite barren from their current location.

As for the road itself, it seems to have been made more from the repeated pressure of foot and cart traffic than a deliberate creation. It's rough around the edges and hardly looks permanent. Off in one direction, it stretches off without any sign of a destination. In the other direction there's not much to see either, but there are a few towers visible in the distance...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

[Pokecenter]

There's a sound of scuttling chairs almost immediately upon Veronica talking.
    Jace raises an eyebrow.
    "I think that would be good for them, Veronica. I know your floor's been quiet by yourself. But all of them? At once? What if they're like...chameleons? Fragile and needy? Can you handle seven pets at once without experience? Maybe just fostering for some?" [Pssst, Zebes, what's a chameleon? How do you know about them?] [They're reptiles. I read an article once.]
    A small finger taps Veronica on the shoulder. Behind her are no less than seven children in varying degrees of goofy outfits, consisting of two human boys, one catboy, an elf, a girl with the wings of a heron, one small metal person, and a tall Turian.
    "Hey Miss. Uh, did you say 'adopt?' What kinda critters are they? Are they cool?" says the boy in a stocking hat. "Or cute?" asks the turian quietly from the back, despite being the tallest.
    Oh no Veronica. You implied free stuff around pokemon trainers.

[An Epic Quest]

Willa shakes her head. And then the rest of her. She's glad she took off most of her layers to do that ritual.
    "Well, not much around here. Guess we might as well go for the only thing we can see." she says with a shrug, and starts walking down in the direction of the towers.