New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1139 - The Discussion Thread

This is fascinating. It completely throws the supposedly known plans of all the villains into question. It also raises some serious questions about the meeting of the gods. Why even have the debate about destroying the planet now? Even if Hel gets a lot of souls and a leading role in her pantheon, they'll loop that around in a few more worlds if they're playing the long game. I wonder if the Gates are something new though, that Dorukan's and Lirian's creation might have been a first among all these many, many worlds.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I wonder if the Gates are something new though, that Dorukan's and Lirian's creation might have been a first among all these many, many worlds.
    I think that's an intriguing possibility.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

So... How do people feel about "Mandelbrot Graveyard" as a name for this place?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Yup:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html

which does make me wonder - how did he come to believe that in the first place?
    My guess is that the Order of the Scribble found out enough about the gates and the snarl that when they at some point had contact with a god (they were epic level adventurers) said god gave the story of the creation of the world, death of the Eastern pantheon, and the current situation, without mentioning that this wasn't the second world. OotS the first then drew the wrong conclusions from this, thinking there could be a permanent solution though it required the deliberate destruction of the world.
    I note that the fact that there is no permanent solution doesn't weaken the case made by Shojo.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Also note that the rifts appeared about 66 years ago. Meaning the OOTS world did made it to over a thousand years before the expiry date kicked in.

So, yep, the Gods are getting slowly better at this. Veeery slowly.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calmen1 View Post
    Does anyone remembers that Snarl is not exactly eating the worlds? The wording is devouring and more important: Blackwing saw a planet of its own inside the Rift. I guess the Snarl is carving itīs own world and using the previous worlds as prime material(or prime ideas...) for this world.

The Snarl is made from the anger of the gods but is also made from a creativity desagreement, so It is a creative being of sort.
    I was rereading the Godsmoot comics to get a better sense of the god's attitudes and Odin's quote alongside his vote in #999 gets me the most: "I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn." Since he's all about prophecies and seeing stuff, perhaps he's seeing what the Snarl is doing? Yarn winding yarn sounds like the Snarl is indeed creating things of its own.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Whatever they are, I'll put a million quatloos on it.
    What really? Seems pretty long odds.

I'll take a piece of that action.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Holy ****. Wham Page material right there.

Almost makes the whole "destroy the world for the safety of everyone" sound futile and insane if they made hundreds? thousands? millions of worlds consumed by the Snarl. But that doesn't QUITE match the story Shojo told us. At least in missing a key detail that they remade the world countless times.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: About what happened in #1139

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Hard disagree. Three mutually contradictory proposed reasons from the #1139 discussion thread:

- The gods improve the Snarl's prison by building it with extra layers. The internal world is why the rifts took so long to appear in this iteration of the world.
    - The internal world is a part of the mechanism of the gates, and is the reason the Snarl did not notice the unsealed rift(s) until Laurin started poking around.
    - The Snarl, a being formed from a mass of creative disagreements, is itself creating one or more worlds within its prison ("worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn"), using the power it gained from the souls it devoured in the past (or something to that effect), and/or from the gods it killed.

I think you're implying that the world within is a partially built replacement world, or a template for the same, which would bring the total number of theories to (at least) four. The third is my personal favorite, and I think the first is probably the weakest, but we don't really have much to go on. All four are at least somewhat plausible, and this particular comic does very little to distinguish them, other than (kind of) raising the idea of the fourth.
    I'll offer a fifth. The world within the rift is world n-1, where the current world is the nth world created by the gods. The Snarl does not destroy worlds when it consumes them, but rather they are entangled within it. All the previous worlds are contained within the Snarl, and were it to be unraveled, the multiverse would be flooded with a multitude of new Material Planes.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup:

Well we know the Gods have a collective NDA about the Snarl. When the Scribbles' were digging, they must have made assumptions on very obviously incomplete data.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I agree, there should be a thread dedicated to discussing this strip. Maybe that idea will catch on.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    One claim by Lord Shojo has been refuted: the current world is not uniquely flawed and a replacement world would still allow the Snarl a chance to escape.
    Yup:

Well, Shojo's statement isn't false: They apparently can remake the world without rifts, but not prevent new rifts from forming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaros View Post
    So... How do people feel about "Mandelbrot Graveyard" as a name for this place?
    Where do you see the Mandelbrot pattern? Anyway, assuming there is a fractal pattern, my baseless guess would be more of a general Julia set.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

The second planet collapsed in a fire, and so did the third and fourth, BUT THE FIFTH PLANET

I love Monty Python XD
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2018-09-05 at 02:37 PM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You can potentially be unmade or never exist in the first place.
    Yes to the first, no to the second, at least that we've seen in-comic. If the Snarl made it so you've never existed, there would be no statue of Kraagor, and no Kraagor's Gate, as his sacrifice to the Snarl is what made Kraagor's Gate possible, and no one would remember him enough to even build a statue of him.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

This is fascinating. It completely throws the supposedly known plans of all the villains into question. It also raises some serious questions about the meeting of the gods. Why even have the debate about destroying the planet now? Even if Hel gets a lot of souls and a leading role in her pantheon, they'll loop that around in a few more worlds if they're playing the long game. I wonder if the Gates are something new though, that Dorukan's and Lirian's creation might have been a first among all these many, many worlds.
    People in power can (and usually do) use that power to consolidate their grasp on power. Once she is the most powerful deity, she can arrange things so that for many future iterations, she continues to be the most powerful. Odin, I suspect has done the same - but he is not as petty as Hel, so his rule is likely not as terrifying.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #256
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It could be, but the bottom line is that there don't seem to be leftover ascended deities from previous worlds, so something stops them from surviving (I think it is well past plausibility that this is the only world where there have been ascensions). I find my hypothesis that "they need living believers to continue to exist" a simple Occam-y explanation, but if you want to offer your own, I'm all ears.

Grey Wolf
    A much simpler explanation is simply no other world lasted long enough to have some mortals ascend to godhood. Why is that past plausibility? Sheer number? We haven't been told anything to indicate that the Dark One and Elven Gods are different from the original gods, except in their origin. Until such time, you shouldn't assume something like "without any living followers they immediately die" or something like that.

Your assumption does not seem very Occam-y, to me at all.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2018-09-05 at 02:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I agree, there should be a thread dedicated to discussing this strip. Maybe that idea will catch on.
    Oh, and maybe the mods could pin it to the top, so it'd be easy to find. That's be great!

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Well, Shojo's statement isn't false: They apparently can remake the world without rifts, but not prevent new rifts from forming.

Well, such is the futility of trying not make rifts.
    Also this is getting into Pillars of Eternity, or "the truth about divine beings" plot, territories.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Huh, maybe the 'world' in the rift is the last world the gods decided to abandon as oppose to destroy.

Maybe the snarl ignored it because it isn't interested in the souls of the world and mortals, so much as it is interested in chewing some gods?

Who knows?

What a fascinating comic, I can't wait to see the resolution.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Yes to the first, no to the second, at least that we've seen in-comic. If the Snarl made it so you've never existed, there would be no statue of Kraagor, and no Kraagor's Gate, as his sacrifice to the Snarl is what made Kraagor's Gate possible, and no one would remember him enough to even build a statue of him.
    The second part of the quote is referencing good gods choosing not to create new worlds out of altruism. "Should the gods continue creating new worlds even if they will inevitably be destroyed by the Snarl sooner or later?"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Where do you see the Mandelbrot pattern? Anyway, assuming there is a fractal pattern, my baseless guess would be more of a general Julia set.
    Fractal Graveyard would be far more appropriate, yeah, just had the Jonathan Coulton Mandelbrot Set song in my head and so that's the first one my mind went to.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    A much simpler explanation is simply no other world lasted long enough to have some mortals ascend to godhood. Why is that past plausibility? Sheer number?
    Sheer number, and improvements - each world lasts more than the previous one, and the ascended gods have been around long enough that the time it took for them to ascend must have passed in previous worlds also.

We haven't been told anything to indicate that the Dark One and Elven Gods are different from the original gods, except in their origin. Until such time, you shouldn't assume something like "without any living followers they immediately die" or something like that.
    Yes, we have been told the are different: in their origin. That is different enough that why this world is special enough to have ascended gods where a googleplex of previous worlds did not requires some kind of explanation beyond "this world is special", since the last page pretty much took a baseball to the kneecaps of the idea that this world is in any way special.

Grey Wolf

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by RVallant View Post
    Huh, maybe the 'world' in the rift is the last world the gods decided to abandon as oppose to destroy.

Maybe the snarl ignored it because it isn't interested in the souls of the world and mortals, so much as it is interested in chewing some gods?

Who knows?

What a fascinating comic, I can't wait to see the resolution.
    The alternative that comes to mind is that the gods build planets around planets to minimize the risk of the Snarl breaking free entirely; they have a new barrier up before the old one is totally compromised.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

24. - Top - End - #264
    Colossus in the Playground

Given that Sabine has been around for more than 2 millennia (Paladin Blues bonus strip - Warthog's School of Magic section) - maybe the archfiends have too, and the souls the archfiends have collected, might hail from past worlds.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html

Ganonron has "conquered world after world". Perhaps the gods don't create one world at a time - they may have created many worlds simultaneously at one time, only one of which had the prison - which were first conquered (by Ganonron) then all eaten in a Snarl breakout.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-09-05 at 02:48 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A much simpler explanation is simply no other world lasted long enough to have some mortals ascend to godhood. Why is that past plausibility? Sheer number? We haven't been told anything to indicate that the Dark One and Elven Gods are different from the original gods, except in their origin. Until such time, you shouldn't assume something like "without any living followers they immediately die" or something like that.
    Given that the rifts appeared like 66 years ago, the current world has lasted more than a thousand years as the Gods made it. Why couldn't the lastest one held for centuries also, giving too enought time for their population to give birth to their own Gods?

26. - Top - End - #266

Sheer number, and improvements - each world lasts more than the previous one, and the ascended gods have been around long enough that the time it took for them to ascend must have passed in previous worlds also.
    Just because it theoretically could have happened in the other worlds doesn't mean it needed to. The possibility of something is no guarantee it will actually happen.

Yes, we have been told the are different: in their origin. That is different enough that why this world is special enough to have ascended gods where a googleplex of previous worlds did not requires some kind of explanation beyond "this world is special", since the last page pretty much took a baseball to the kneecaps of the idea that this world is in any way special.

Grey Wolf
    I never said anything about this world being special. It may be but that means nothing for the point I was making. The world doesn't need to have something "special" about it for some mortals to ascend or whatever. It just has to be a flunk, and flunks happen. You shouldn't argue against things people didn't actually say.

Honestly, I'd imagine the real answer is "It doesn't matter for the story, so it won't be brought up at all."
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2018-09-05 at 02:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I wonder if those gravestones wouldn't represent all the campaign worlds that have been abandonned over the years once the GM and players got bored and started playing a different game.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    That was my first thought.
    That's really pretty darn clever, regardless of if that's the Giant's intent. Snarls of rules getting in the way...petty disagreements among the players that develop the world...even some just abandoned after character creation. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    The, er... The gods aren't very good at this, are they...?
    I think it is safe to say that we are not...but we don't give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulthwithian View Post
    Breathtaking in scope. I am quite impressed.

But I think I know what's going on, now. The Snarl is, indeed, 'collecting' worlds for its prison, as others have suggested... it's basically our Universe.
    When the games are all done and gone, all we have is the real world?

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Of course this campaign may be the longest running simply because the GM is that good.
    That seems like a pretty reasonable guess.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

It could be, but the bottom line is that there don't seem to be leftover ascended deities from previous worlds, so something stops them from surviving (I think it is well past plausibility that this is the only world where there have been ascensions). I find my hypothesis that "they need living believers to continue to exist" a simple Occam-y explanation, but if you want to offer your own, I'm all ears.

Grey Wolf
    I actually don't think that's well past plausibility. Given that we've confirmed that the second world only lasted four years, it's entirely possible none of the other worlds lasted long enough to allow for the possibility of gods to be raised from mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    This is the first world that used the 3.5 ruleset.
    Also an intriguing explanation.

I wonder if the Gates are something new though, that Dorukan's and Lirian's creation might have been a first among all these many, many worlds.
    I think that's very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Either Thor wants Durkon to save the world by resealing the Gates, or Thor wants Durkon to let the Snarl out so it can eat all the gods and end this cycle of destruction and recreation.
    I'll put 5 GP that the latter definitely will not happen.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1139 - The Discussion Thread

Damn, I didn't see that coming... what was overwhelming.
    Very well done!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

So, what really gets me here is..... if the Gods are made of ideas. And the Snarl is basically the personification of "rip it all down and make a new one" every artist gets when the frustration level gets too high....

How does the Snarl kill Gods? And what happens when it does?