Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Junkyard Wars XX: XE + PBA(a) - S

Quote Originally Posted by PunBlake View Post
    ...Which makes taking Mindsight the (rough) equivalent of turning off Fog of War in an RTS game. It changes the rules and balance of the game, so we should probably be consistent about it.

Given the nature of Xorvintaal the Game, and since older dragons mentor younger (MM5 pg38-39), all patron dragons would likely take Mindsight after taking the template. The example moves Seed Hoard and Seed Sham are much harder given that Mindsight also allows the dragon to see the type and intelligence score of almost everything within range.
    Maybe that's exactly why they play this game, which otherwise would be a pointless and dangerous drain on resources.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

...Which makes taking Mindsight the (rough) equivalent of turning off Fog of War in an RTS game. It changes the rules and balance of the game, so we should probably be consistent about it.

Given the nature of Xorvintaal the Game, and since older dragons mentor younger (MM5 pg38-39), all patron dragons would likely take Mindsight after taking the template. The example moves Seed Hoard and Seed Sham are much harder given that Mindsight also allows the dragon to see the type and intelligence score of almost everything within range.
    It doesn't allow them to see type and intelligence score (except that the Int of any detected creature is at least 1). It works like Blindsense, so you can only tell the size of creatures. There are a few other things about Xorvintaal Battleship that are potentially noteworthy (I have given this some thought), but they might constitute speculation.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Maybe that's exactly why they play this game, which otherwise would be a pointless and dangerous drain on resources.
    Xorvintaal is a giant RTS game. Some people like playing Starcraft (for instance) with the Fog of War on, micromanaging units under their command to clear the fog. Others like to play with the fog off because it's easier.

We're optimizing one of the units playing the RTS, not the patron dragons themselves here, or at least that's my perspective. Are any contestants planning to provide full stat blocks for their patron dragons?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    It doesn't allow them to see type and intelligence score (except that the Int of any detected creature is at least 1). It works like Blindsense, so you can only tell the size of creatures. There are a few other things about Xorvintaal Battleship that are potentially noteworthy (I have given this some thought), but they might constitute speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindsight
    The creature also perceives several observable characteristics
    about each being detected with mindsight, including the
    being’s type and Intelligence score. The creature need not take
    any additional or special actions to gain this information; it is
    as obvious to mindsight as the being’s race and clothing would
    be to eyesight.
    I know you've given this some thought. Even though I don't post much on these forums, I've lurked here for years, and I've read a thread you've posted in about this subject.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. My mistake. You're right. I don't know how I missed that.

Xorvintaal is a giant RTS game. Some people like playing Starcraft (for instance) with the Fog of War on, micromanaging units under their command to clear the fog. Others like to play with the fog off because it's easier.

We're optimizing one of the units playing the RTS, not the patron dragons themselves here, or at least that's my perspective. Are any contestants planning to provide full stat blocks for their patron dragons?
    I'd say that they shouldn't stat out the whole dragon, but since the logistics of being a Xorvintaal Exarch with multiple Dragonpacts are potentially complicated, it's worthwhile to delve into the sort of dragon(s) you're working for to some extent.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I'd say that they shouldn't stat out the whole dragon, but since the logistics of being a Xorvintaal Exarch with multiple Dragonpacts are potentially complicated, it's worthwhile to delve into the sort of dragon(s) you're working for to some extent.
    What I expect as a baseline, assuming contestants aren't using a dragon printed in the Xorvintaal section, is something like:

"My Xorvintaal patron is an <age category> <type> dragon, with the following differences from normal: [different ability scores, feats, Xorvintaal template choices, ect]"

Basically, a short list of changes instead of a stat block. You can stat things out if you want, but... It's more work than average for a competition like this. You may have character limit problems. It may or may not impact your score. It adds complication for judgement. It also could add flavor to entries. I don't know that I'd recommend it.

I guess I'll allow Mindsight for patron dragons; this is mostly for consistency in judging. Just know that if your patron is as egotistical as a typical Red, it wouldn't rely on such a crutch. Contestants probably want to provide a bit of personality for the patron dragon within backstory.
    Last edited by PunBlake; 2018-09-13 at 01:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

build submitted, that was pretty fun :)
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Heads up:

Additions have been added to the FAQ.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Just about three days to go, folks. How is everyone doing?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Still working, anticipating getting a build in!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I must admit, the ingredients this round don't really grab me, so I'll be a spectator this time around...

12. - Top - End - #42

NinjaGuy

Working on my write-up and it's going to come down to the wire tomorrow. Hoping to get this in!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I had something come up (a new campaign) and I will not have this done. My build hasn't even finished reaching level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

According to the deadline, I should have called 'time' about 10 minutes ago. However, I currently do not have enough entries in my inbox to fill the medal stand. I'm loathe to close the competition on a two-horse race.
    Are there folks still working on builds that just need a few more days?

15. - Top - End - #45

DruidGuy

bump for a new week
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Mind shooting me a PM onceyou need judges? This is not something I wanted to build, but I want to help out.

17. - Top - End - #47

NinjaGuy

If we get to that point I'm fine with just a straight posting of the builds for general discussion. I'm unsure if anyone else is going to build anything (these components were hard to find a hook) and I don't mind missing out on a medal if it means we move on and get more people involved.

18. - Top - End - #48

DruidGuy

i guess i can get behind that. a little competition would've been nice, but to little is the opposite
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

On a note akin to my last post: Should we have a registry of judges we can PM as a reminder if they have not put in builds themselves? I would not mind a message every month or so.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Posting entries... please refrain from comments until further notice.
    Thank you.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Dar’esh

Spoiler: Stub
    Show

Primordial Half-Giant Spellscale Xorvintaal Exarch Warmage 6/ Pact Bound Adept 5/ Marshall 1/ Blood Magus 5
    1d8+11d6+5d4+4

Spoiler: Point Buy/Racial/Template Info
    Show

Point Buy:
    STR 10
    DEX 10
    CON 12
    INT 15
    WIS 11
    CHA 17

Template/Racial Mods
    STR 8
    DEX 10
    CON 10
    INT 19
    WIS 11
    CHA 23
    4- INT, 8-16 CHA

Spellscale (RoTD 23)
    +2 CHA/ -2 CON Medium, 30 ft, (Dragonblood), Low Light Vision, Blood Quickening – ( Bahamut for Vs evil, Chronepsis for Silent Spell usage, Io for Heighten Spell usage, Lendys for Concentration and Still Spell, and Tiamat for vs Good)

Primordial Giant (Secrets of Xen’drik 82) LA +0 template, tied to Giants
    SLA: Invisibility/will, -4 STR, -2 CON, +4 INT/CHA, Magical Knack (Ex) use SLA’s at +1 CL, 8 extra skill pts at 1st lvl, 2 extra each level beyond, any 1 knowledge (Arcana) as class skill, +2 Spellcraft/UMD

*Half-Giant Template: LA +1, +2 CON/STR, -2 DEX, Med, speed 30, Lowlight, Naturally Psionic (gain 2 pp at 1st lvl), Fire Acclimated (+2 saves vs fire spells/effects), Powerful Build, Psi-Like abilities: 1/day Stomp (dc 10)

*Xorvintaal Exarch Template LA +2, Telepathic Communication to 100 miles w/ Xorvintaal Dragon, Dragon’s Favor (5 tokens, various abilities)

Flaw: Meager Fortitude: take a -3 penalty on FORT saves

Primordial, Half Giant are level 1, Exarch is applied at 2nd and 3rd

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Dar’esh was born into the Chromatic Cult, forever destined to be one of Her chosen few. From the youngest of ages, he served her Holiness in whatever way was needed while acting as a Steward of the Scale at the Temple Phyxia where She would sometimes visit. A permanent shrine was erected for Her there, and it was said that one only need speak Her name, and She would hear, and see you.

Anyone could be a Cleric for her Highness, it was simply an honorary title, for it didn’t require Divine power at all. Life as a Steward was far from dull, especially when it came to amassing the various baubles that could be taken from those of the wrong alignment. Once per cycle, She would visit the Temple to collect our offerings. To bask in her presence was truly a magnificent feeling.

As a giant amongst my fellows, I was singled out to be an Agent of Hers, to further Her interests, and to work towards extending the influence of Evil in the world. This of course would be a path full of excitement and danger, and She gave me powers to assist in this endeavor. I also made Pacts with Her, and this led to still further power. Even when I fell in battle, I would return to face my foes again and again.

Beware all who would stand against Her, for I am but one of many who will stand in your way.

Spoiler: Build Table
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    4th Warmage +0 +0 +0 +2 Concentration 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Spellcraft 4, cc-Diplomacy 1, cc-Bluff 1, cc-Sleight of Hand 1, cc-UMD 1 Mindsight, (B) Dragontouched) Armored Mage (Light), Warmage Edge, Spells
    5th Warmage 2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Concentration 5, Know Arc 5, Spellcraft 5, cc-Bluff 1.5, cc-Sleight 1.5, cc-UMD 1.5 - -
    6th Warmage 3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Conc 6, Know Arc 6, Spellcraft 6, cc-Bluff 2, cc-Sleight 2, cc-UMD 2 Draconic Heritage Advanced Learning – Thunderhead
    7th Warmage 4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Conc 7, Know Arc 7, Spellcraft 7, cc-Bluff 3, cc-Sleight 3 - -
    8th Warmage 5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Conc 8, Know Arc 8, Spellcraft 8, cc-Bluff 4, cc-Sleight 4 - -
    9th Warmage 6 +3 +2 +2 +5 Conc 9, Know Arc 9, Spellcraft 9, cc-Diplomacy 2, cc-UMD 2 Great Fortitude Advanced Learning – Great Thunderclap
    10th Pact-Bound Adept +3 +2 +4 +7 Conc 10, Know Arc 10, Spellcraft 10, cc-Bluff 5, cc-Sleight 5 - Improved Pact +1
    11th PBA 2 +4 +2 +5 +8 Conc 11, Know Arc 11, Spellcraft 11, cc-UMD 4, Conceal Spellcasting Trick - Dragoncast, +1 Spellcasting
    12th Marshall +4 +4 +5 +10 Bluff 8, Diplomacy 5, Intim 5, cc-Sleight 6 Daunting Prescence, (B) Skill Focus - Diplomacy Minor Aura - Motivate Charisma
    13th PBA 3 +4 +5 +5 +10 Conc 13, Diplomacy 6, Know Arc 12, Spellcraft 12, Timely Misdirection Trick (B) Eschew Materials +1 Spellcasting
    14th PBA 4 +5 +5 +6 +11 Conc 14, Diplo 8, Know Arc 13, Spellcraft 13, Swift Concentration Trick - Improved Pact +2
    15th PBA 3 +5 +5 +6 +11 Conc 15, Diplo 10, Know Arc 14, Spellcraft 13, cc-Sleight 7 Toughness Bonus Dragonpact, +1 Spellcasting
    16th Blood Magus +5 +8 +6 +11 Bluff 10, Conc 16, Spellcraft 15, cc-Sleight 8 - Blood Component, Durable Casting, Staunch, +1 Spellcasting
    17th Magus 2 +6 +9 +6 +11 Bluff 12, Conc 17, cc-Sleight 9, cc-UMD 5 - Scarification, +1 Spellcasting
    18th Magus 3 +6 +9 +7 +12 Bluff 14, Conc 18, cc-Sleight 10, cc-UMD 6 (B) Awareness, Obtain Familiar - Huitzil Death Knell 1/day, +1 Spellcasting
    19th Magus 4 +7 +10 +7 +12 Bluff 16, Conc 19, cc-Sleight 11, cc-UMD 7 - Blood Draught, +1 Spellcasting
    20th Magus 5 +7 +10 +7 +12 Bluff 18, Conc 20, cc-Sleight 12, cc-UMD 8 - Homonculous

*Mindsight Feat (Lords of Madness 126) : detect and pinpoint any intelligent being w/in 100 miles
    *Obtain Familiar (Complete Arcane 81) get a friend
    *Great Fortitude (PHB) +2 on FORT saves
    *Toughness (PBH) +3 HP
    *Daunting Presence (Miniatures Handbook 25) 30ft “Awe” DC 10+1/2 char lvl+CHA or shaken 10mins
    *Draconic Heritage (Dragon Magic 17/Races of the Dragon 102) declare heritage, gain a class skill and other bonuses, namely +2 saves against magic sleep/paralysis and +2 against magic effects with the cold descriptor
    *Dragontouched (Dragon Magic 18) +1 HP, +1 listen/spot/search, +1 saves vs magic sleep/paralysis

Skill Tricks:
    Conceal Spellcasting: Sleight of Hand check as part of casting, success means no AoO against you, and can’t attempt to counter your spell
    Timely Misdirection: successful bluff check to feint, opponent is denied AoO on you until start of its next turn
    Swift Concentration: maintain concentration as a swift action

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Spells per Day/Spells Known - not counting bonus spells for CHA
    Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st 5 3 - - - - - - - -
    2nd 6 4 - - - - - - - -
    3rd 6 5 - - - - - - - -
    4th 6 6 3 - - - - - - -
    5th 6 6 4 - - - - - - -
    6th 6 6 5 3 - - - - - -
    7th 6 6 5 3 - - - - - -
    8th 6 6 6 4 - - - - - -
    9th 6 6 6 4 - - - - - -
    10th 6 6 6 5 3 - - - - -
    11th 6 6 6 5 3 - - - - -
    12th 6 6 6 6 4 - - - - -
    13th 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - - -
    14th 6 6 6 6 6 4 - - - -
    15th 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 - - -
    16th 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 - - -
    17th 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 - - -

Caster Levels:
    13 from classes
    +1 possible from Death Knell
    +1 from Blood Component
    +2 to SLA’s from PBA
    +1 to SLA’s from Primordial Giant

Bonus Spells:
    1: 1-2, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1
    8: 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1
    16: 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1, 8-1

Scarification:
    as Scribe Scroll Feat (PHB) – any spell you know
    Any number or combination of the following as a default. We get 6 ‘scrolls’, and is a good way to expand our higher level slots for more uses later on. Default to:
    Cloudkill, Flame Strike, Prismatic Ray, Disintegrate.

Blood Draught:
    as Brew Potion Feat (PHB) – any spell you know up to 3rd level that targets 1 or more creatures
    We get 5 potions that sit until used, or can be “given” to another as long as they drink 1oz of our blood. We’ll have any number or combination of the following spells as a default pool: Fist of Stone, True Strike, Fire Shield, and Alter Self.

Dragonpacts:
    Creating your own:
    1=1st lvl spell, 2=2nd or 3rd lvl spell, 3=3rd or 4th lvl spell, 4=5th or 6th lvl spell, 5=7th or 8th lvl spell

1- The Chromatic Cult: (Tiamat)
    1-Blue: Kaupaer’s Quickblast (http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/mb/20050112a ) 1 point of fire/cold/elec damage/lvl (max5)
    2-White: Ice Blast (Comp Arcane 110) 1d6/2lvls cold damage in a cone, and fatigued for 1 min
    3-Green: Energy Spheres (Spell Compendium 80) 5 orbs, acid/elec/fire/cold/sonic offense or defense
    4-Red: Storm of Fire and Ice (Complete Mage 118) 6d6 fire and 6d6 ice, long range, 20ft radius,
    5-Black: Ravage (Champions of Ruin 33) living within area take 1d6/2lvls vile damage

This Pact is based off the 5 different heads of Tiamat herself. 1 SLA listed per elemental type of damage, with the exception being Black (that went with evil), as there is no point in doubling up on Acid. Where possible, multiple types of damage or effects are given to also reflect the multi-faceted Tiamat.

The Chromatic Cult (Tiamat)
    Spell Slot SLA Gained
    2nd Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 2/day
    3rd Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 3/day, Ice Blast 1/day
    4th Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 3/day, Ice Blast 2/day
    5th Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 3/day, Ice Blast 3/day, Energy Sphere’s 1/day
    6th Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 3/day, Ice Blast 3/day, Energy Sphere’s 2/day
    7th Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 3/day, Ice Blast 3/day, Energy Sphere’s 3/day, Storm of Fire and Ice 1/day
    8th Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 3/day, Ice Blast 3/day, Energy Sphere’s 3/day, Storm of Fire and Ice 2/day
    9th Kaupeaer’s Quickblast 3/day, Ice Blast 3/day, Energy Sphere’s 3/day, Storm of Fire and Ice 3/day, Ravage 1/day

2- The Queen’s Blessings (Tiamat)

1- Corrupt Water (see Misc section) 10 cubic feet of water becomes foul, spoil liquids containing water (potions and items in possession get a WILL save equal to a Frightful Presence check or become fouled)
    2- Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) 10min/lvl up to 5hd form
    3- Dominate Person (SRD http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominatePerson.htm ) 1day/lvl
    4- Spell Resistance (PHB 283) gain SR 12+CL
    5- Polymorph any Object (SRD http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm )

This Pact is based off granting some manipulative abilities that Tiamat has herself, either directly or by interpretation. The biggest of these being Alter Self, which allows for flight and many other forms/abilities that mimic in some small way the vast array of powers controlled by Her majesty.
    The Queen’s Blessings (Tiamat)
    Spell Slot SLA Gained
    2nd Corrupt Water 2/day
    3rd Corrupt Water 3/day, Alter Self 1/day
    4th Corrupt Water 3/day, Alter Self 2/day
    5th Corrupt Water 3/day, Alter Self 3/day, Dominate Person 1/day
    6th Corrupt Water 3/day, Alter Self 3/day, Dominate Person 2/day
    7th Corrupt Water 3/day, Alter Self 3/day, Dominate Person 3/day, Spell Resistance 1/day
    8th Corrupt Water 3/day, Alter Self 3/day, Dominate Person 3/day, Spell Resistance 2/day
    9th Corrupt Water 3/day, Alter Self 3/day, Dominate Person 3/day, Spell Resistance 3/day, Polymorph Any Object 1/day

Spoiler: By Level Breakdown:
    Show

I chose to start my build at ECL 2nd and build to 20, instead of start at 1 and end at 17th due to LA from templates. Dar'esh is CE

5- Primordial Half Giant Xorvintaal Exarch Warmage 2 at this point. Warmage Edge adds 4 damage to every spell (5 damage at 7th level), or every target in an AoE spell. Racial Blood Quickening adds flexibility, and Primordial’s Invisibility at will provides options in battle and otherwise at a level that it’s unlikely to be countered at. Mindsight is utterly broken combined with XE’s telepathy range. (and ironically, I chose this feat before it was discussed in thread, i saw the utter ludicrousness of it right from the start, oh well) If we get in trouble, we can always Stomp to attempt to knock those around us prone. Powerful Build allows us to act as Large whenever that would be beneficial to us for a variety of reasons.

10- A 4th lvl sorcerer can take a Dragonpact and we’ll choose The Queen’s Blessings at this level, (marked by wisps of smoke coming from our nose and mouth) and keep up with it until attaining the bonus pact at 15th. Otherwise we’re advancing in Warmage and entering the SI at 10th. SLA’s are being cast at +2 CL, helping to make up for a little of our lost levels from Templates.

15- A rank in Marshall thrown into the mix, as well as picking up Daunting Presence which is a standard action ‘Awe’ that functions like Frightful Presence at a 10 minute duration. At 12th level, the DC is 32. Our SLA’s are now cast at +3 CL and we’re into the 2nd Dragonpact now as well. All 3 Skill Tricks are taken in this block as well, giving more options in combat and providing some further protection for our casting to help make up for the lower CL.

20- The final block is all Blood Magus. While it does have some crappy feat taxes, you can pick up another +1 CL, 5 spells as potions via Blood Draught, and 6 spells via Scarification to further expand the utility of your limited spell list. Durable Casting is essentially a +5 bonus to Concentration checks to avoid failure in combat. Pick up a familiar a little late (stupid feat taxes!) and add onto that with Homonculous which also acts like a damage sponge. Be a dragon, have a dragonesque familiar and a dragon shaped construct. With ability mods in base form, Bluff is at +34, Diplomacy at +26, Intimidate at +21 and UMD at +26, +28 on scrolls (nearly auto success).

Specific uses for Dragon’s Favor from XE:
    Energy Immunity : Tiamat has 4 different breath weapons, so we can spend a token to gain immunity to 1 of them for 10 mins, Fire, Cold, Electricity, Acid.

Frightful Presence: Upgrading this with the Daunting Presence Feat

Dragon Wing: I’d like to think that I can cut the hand off another XE and create a gauntlet out of it for permanent flying. The description only states that I clasp the hand, not that they have to be alive or attached to the body… Tiamat’s flight speed is 150ft. The ability also states the flight speed, but not the maneuverability of poor in this case…

Draconic Reverie: a +4 bonus to the next save or attack, this is dependent on how much we want to do either of those, but could combine it with True Strike for a can’t miss attack.

Lair’s Return: When it comes time to upgrade our Pacts, we travel back to Tiamat’s Lair for that sweet diplomacy/Intimidate bonus.

Lair’s Rebirth: Combined with Stanch from Blood Magus, this teleports us to Tiamat’s Lair, unconscious but stable at 0 hp.

The sweet spots are 4, 12, 20

Spoiler: Familiar/s
    Show

Huitzil Stats:

As familiar grants +3 to Sleight of Hand
    N Tiny Animal (Dragonblood)
    17d4 HP = ½ master’s, BAB +7
    Init +2, Lowlight, AC 24, touch 14, flat 22
    F10, R7, W12 Speed 10/60 fly average, Attack Option: Distract (melee touch at +4, success = -2 attack/1 round), Hover, Weapon Finesse(B), S5, D15, C10, I12, W11, C8 Hide 10, Sleight 10
    Alertness, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Deliver Touch Spells, Speak with Master, Speak with animals of its kind, Spell Resistance 22, Scry on Familiar

Homonculous Stats (Monster Manual 154, and advancement rules 290):
    Tiny Construct
    (we’ll spend the extra 8k gold to make it a 6HD construct, or its free, RAW is vague, both saying we don’t need to meet the pre-reqs, as well as stating it gains HD for extra B.Magus lvls…)
    6d10 HD
    Init +2, Speed 20/50 fly good
    AC 14, touch 14, flat 12 BAB +4
    Poison (Injury, FORT DC 13 sleep 1 min/sleep 5d6 mins), Darkvision 60ft, lowlight Vision
    F0,R4,W2 Hide 14, Listen/Spot 8, Lightning Reflexes +2x Feats
    S8, D16, C-, I10, W12, C7
    Construct Traits: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm ) Immunity to Mind affecting effects, immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and energy drain. Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage or drain, fatigue, exhaustion or energy drain. Immune to anything that requires a FORT save unless it affects objects or is harmless, no risk at death from massive damage. Can’t be raised or resurrected. Does not eat, breathe, or sleep.

Spoiler: Sources:
    Show

Champions of Ruin: Ravage
    Complete Arcane: Warmage, Blood Magus, Obtain Familiar, Ice Blast
    Complete Mage: Storm of Fire and Ice
    Complete Scoundrel: Skill Tricks
    Deities and Demigods: Tiamat
    Dragon Magic: Pact-Bound Adept, Dragon Pacts, Huitzil, Dragontouched, Draconic Heritage
    Lords of Madness: Mindsight
    Miniature’s Handbook: Marshall
    Monster Manual: Homonculous, Advancement Rules
    Monster Manual V: Xorvintaal Exarch
    PHB: Feats
    Races of the Dragon: Spellscales, Draconic Heritage
    Secrets of Xen’drik: Primordial Giant Template
    Spell Compendium

SRD: Spells, Half-Giant Template

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/mo.../halfGiant.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominatePerson.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm

Spoiler: MISC/RAWrey
    Show

Xorvintaal Exarch grants Telepathic communication to your host dragon (Tiamat) within 100 miles. Mindsight grants the ability to pinpoint intelligent beings within the range of your telepathy, so 100 miles.

Alter Self uses: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2811.0 as well as things like raptoran for flight, and dragonblood gives access to those dragon forms which mostly fly, NA bonuses, Natural Weapons, skill bonus’s, bonus feats, etc… Anything small to large in size. Humanoid, Dragon, Giant.

Corrupt Water:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm
    in Deities and Demigods, under the Tiamat listing, she gets this at 1/day as an SLA. In the link above, under Black Dragons, it lists the same ability and equating it to a 1st lvl spell. The lowest age category that would be able to do this (adult) has a Frightful Presence DC of 20. However if we use the Daunting Presence Feat in our build which mimics, but improves, on FP, the capstone DC would be 10+8(1/2 char level) + CHAx2=16 (base +marshal aura) for a DC of 34

Draconic Heritage (RotD 102/Dragon Magic 17) states you can, with permission, take the heritage of a dragon not listed, we are obviously choosing Tiamat for this build. The element associated is any 1 energy type of (cold/fire/elec/acid) that represent the 5 heads. We’ll pick Cold (which gives us ‘some’ defense against both cold and fire (from the half giant template). As well as a skill that’s added to the class list. Since Tiamat likes to manipulate things, let’s pick any of the face abilities (bluff/diplomacy/intimidate). I built my table before doing this, so it’s not germane to the skill points I took, although I would probably choose Diplomacy.

I’d really like to use flaws for just about the first time ever, in fact after reviewing the round requirements, I’m forced to take a flaw in order to fit in the 2nd feat requirement for this round. (ugh, a LA+2 template AND 2 required feats, this round is brutal for sure!) There just aren’t enough Feats for this to function the way I want, especially with a mandatory LA +2 template and a feat tax for this competition on top of that. I chose to take a flaw that would actually impact this build, and counter the benefit, however minor, of one of the feat taxes I had to pay for Blood Magus, so that it actually hurts a little, rather than choose a flaw that would have no impact. I will have to accept the elegance penalty. The only other option would be to drop Obtain Familiar from the build, and rework my entire table. I would at the very least choose to use these 2 additional feats:
    *Insightful Reflexes (Complete Adventurer 110) INT instead of DEX to REF
    *Force of Personality (Complete Adventurer 109) CHA instead of WIS to WILL
    As well as Practiced Spellcaster to help make up some lost CL. I chose to forgo that in this build as I have 4 feat taxes to pay, and the Marshal’s aura helps make up the DC’s for all my spellcasting by boosting the effective CHA from +8 to +16. Also had to rearrange feats in order to pay taxes, so some things come online much later than I’d prefer…

Advanced Learning (1st lvl spell) : it only shows up as a sorcerer spell, but Ghostly Tail would be very fitting on this build (and could mimic the Tail Sweep ability of Tiamat), and I’d ask for it instead of Thunderhead as the first learning spell. Duration is awesome, plus you can use it to deliver touch spells, as well as for AoO’s. Thunderhead does a paltry 1 electrical damage, but even if it does no damage due to being saved against, it still betrays the location of any invisible being for 1 rd/lvl.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Aleithian, Exarch of Morlicantha

Choatic Good Illumian Dragonfire Adept 1/Warlock 4/Eldritch Disciple 2/Xorvintaal Exarch LA+2/Eldritch Disciple +6/Pact-Bound Adept 5

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Aleithian became the last of his cabal one fateful night when a conflict erupted between rival factions within the city, spilling across much of the city in which the Silvereye cabal lived, filling the streets with blood and flame. Aleithian was never sure who set it, or if indeed the fire was anything more than an accident, but the compound in which he had grown up was engulfed in flames throughout the conflict, and he saw many of his family’s sigils subsumed by firelight. The young Illumian barely escaped from the compound, succumbing to smoke inhalation just feet beyond the doorway.

When he woke it was to the cool hand of a beautiful Half-Elven woman on his brow. She introduced herself as Morlicantha, and enquired of the youth if he would like the opportunity to avenge the loss of his cabal, and the desolation of his city. Aleithian, of course, said yes.

Aleithian showed an aptitude for manipulating magical forces not unlike the instinctive understanding of Dragons, and quickly became a force to be reckoned with. When she believed him to be ready, Morlicantha revealed her nature as a Dragon, and player of the Great Game Xortvintaal, whose moves had resulted in the loss of Aleithian’s family. She offered him the chance to work with her to bring down those who’s carelessness had led to the razing of the city, and to curb the excesses of those less scrouplous players of the Game. Aleithian swore to serve her, becoming one of Morlicantha’s Exarchs, her hand and eyes in the Game.

Over the years working with Morlicantha Aleithian found other dragons, uninvolved in the Game themselves, though looking to perhaps influence it, who granted him power in return for a taste of the Game. He uses the power he has been granted to further Morlicantha’s standing in the Great Game, and hopes one day to determine those responsible for the deaths that led him down this path all those years ago.

Spoiler: Illumian Sigils
    Show
    Krau (“Magic”): +1 bonus to caster level for all spells and spell-like abilities (up to character level)
    Vaul (“Soul”): +1 bonus on Charisma Checks and Charisma base Skill Checks

Power Word “Vaulkrau:” 2/day spend a spell slot as an immediate action to gain an insight bonus on the next save equal to the spell’s level.

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show
    Ability Score Final
    Strength 8 8
    Dexterity 10 10
    Constitution 10 10
    Intelligence 16 16
    Wisdom 10 10
    Charisma 18 22

Spoiler: Build Progression
    Show

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Dragonfire Adept 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Knowledge (The Planes) 4, Sense Motive 3, Spellcraft 4, Use Magical Device 4 Improved Sigil (Krau), Magical Training (Sorcerer)(F1), Precocious Apprentice (F2), Dragontouched (B) Breath Weapon (1d6), Dragontouched, Least Invocations (DFA)
    2nd Warlock 1 +0 +2 +0 +4 Concentration 1(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 5(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 5(1), Spellcraft 5(1), UMD 5(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - Eldritch Blast (1d6), Least Invocations (W)
    3rd Warlock 2 +1 +2 +0 +5 Concentration 2(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 6(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 6(1), Spellcraft 6(1), UMD 6(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 Heighten Spell Detect Magic
    4th Warlock 3 +2 +3 +1 +5 Concentration 3(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 7(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 7(1), Spellcraft 7(1), UMD 7(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - DR 1/Cold Iron, Eldritch Blast (2d6)
    5th Warlock 4 +3 +3 +1 +6 Concentration 4(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 8(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 8(1), Spellcraft 8(1), UMD 8(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - Deceive Item
    6th Eldritch Theurge 1 +3 +3 +1 +8 Concentration 5(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 9(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 9(1), Spellcraft 9(1), UMD 9(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 Draconic Heritage (Silver) DR 2/Cold Iron, +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA), +1 Invocation Class (Warlock) --> Eldritch Blast (3d6)
    7th Eldritch Theurge 2 +4 +3 +1 +9 Concentration 6(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Knowledge (The Planes) 10, Spellcraft 10(1), UMD 10(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - Fiendish Resilience 1, +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA) --> Breath Weapon (3d6), +1 Invocation Class (Warlock) --> Least Invocations
    8th Xorvintaal Exarch (LA +1) +4 +3 +1 +9 Concentration 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Knowledge (The Planes) 10, Spellcraft 10, UMD 10, Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - Telepathy 100mi w/Dragon, Dragon’s Favor
    9th Xorvintaal Exarch (LA +2) +4 +3 +1 +9 Concentration 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Knowledge (The Planes) 10, Spellcraft 10, UMD 10, Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - -
    10th Eldritch Theurge 3 +5 +4 +2 +9 Concentration 7(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 11(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 11(1), Spellcraft 11(1), UMD 11(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - Spellblast, +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA), +1 Invocation Class (Warlock) --> Eldritch Blast (4d6)
    11th Eldritch Theurge 4 +6 +4 +2 +10 Concentration 8(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 12(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 12(1), Spellcraft 12(1), UMD 12(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 Extra Slot (3rd) DR 3/Cold Iron, +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA) --> Breath Weapon (3d6), +1 Invocation Class (Warlock), Dragonpact(CHOOSE, 3rd)
    12th Eldritch Theurge 5 +6 +4 +2 +10 Concentration 9(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 13(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 13(1), Spellcraft 13(1), UMD 13(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - Eldritch Spellweave, +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA) --> Lesser Invocations, +1 Invocation Class (Warlock) --> Eldritch Blast (5d6)
    13th Eldritch Theurge 6 +7 +5 +3 +11 Concentration 10(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 14(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 14(1), Spellcraft 14(1), UMD 14(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA) --> Breath Weapon (4d6), +1 Invocation Class (Warlock)
    14th Eldritch Theurge 7 +8 +5 +3 +11 Concentration 11(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 15(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 15(1), Spellcraft 15(1), UMD 15(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 Draconic Heritage (Gold) DR 4/Cold Iron, +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA), +1 Invocation Class (Warlock) --> Greater Invocations, Eldritch Blast (6d6)
    15th Eldritch Theurge 8 +9 +5 +3 +12 Concentration 12(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 16(1), Knowledge (The Planes) 16(1), Spellcraft 16(1), UMD 16(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 3 - +1 Spellcasting Class (DFA) --> Breath Weapon (5d6), +1 Invocation Class (Warlock), Dragonpact (Friend of Wind and Rain, 3rd)
    16th Pact-Bound Adept 1 +9 +5 +5 +14 Concentration 13(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 17(1), Spellcraft 17(1), UMD 17(2cc), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (The Planes) 16, Sense Motive 3 - Improved Pact +1
    17th Pact-Bound Adept 2 +10 +5 +6 +15 Concentration 14(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 18(1), Spellcraft 18(1), UMD 18(2cc), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (The Planes) 16, Sense Motive 3 Extra Slot (4th) Dragoncast, +1 Spellcasting Class (Warlock), Dragonpact (Friend of Wind and Rain, 3rd-->4th)
    18th Pact-Bound Adept 3 +10 +6 +6 +15 Concentration 15(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 19(1), Spellcraft 19(1), UMD 19(2cc), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (The Planes) 16, Sense Motive 3 Eschew Materials(b) Eschew Materials, +1 Spellcasting Class (Warlock) --> Eldritch Blast (7d6)
    19th Pact-Bound Adept 4 +11 +6 +7 +16 Concentration 16(1), Knowledge (Arcana) 20(1), Spellcraft 20(1), UMD 20(2cc), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (The Planes) 16, Sense Motive 3 - Improved Pact +2
    20th Pact-Bound Adept 5 +11 +6 +7 +16 Concentration 19(3), Knowledge (Arcana) 21(1), Spellcraft 21(1), Bluff 3, Diplomacy 3, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (The Planes) 16, Sense Motive 3, UMD 20 Extra Slot (5th) Bonus Dragonpact, +1 Spellcasting (Warlock), Dragonpact (Friend of Wind and Rain, 4th-->5th), Dragonpact (Tyrant of the Desert Sun, 5th)

Flaws: Noncombatant, Vulnerable

Spells Per Day (Sorcerer)
    ECL 0th 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5rd
    1st 3 - 1 - - -
    2nd 3 - 1 - - -
    3rd 3 - 1 - - -
    4th 3 - 1 - - -
    5th 3 - 1+1 - - -
    6th 3 - 1+1 - - -
    7th 3 - 1+1 - - -
    8th 3 - 1+1 - - -
    9th 3 - 1+1 - - -
    10th 3 - 1+1 - - -
    11th 3 - 1+1 1+1 - -
    12th 3 - 1+1 1+1 - -
    13th 3 - 1+1 1+1 - -
    14th 3 - 1+1 1+1 - -
    15th 3 - 1+1 1+1 - -
    16th 3 - 1+1 1+1 - -
    17th 3 - 1+1 1+1 1+1 -
    18th 3 - 1+2 1+1 1+1 -
    19th 3 - 1+2 1+1 1+1 -
    20th 3 - 1+2 1+1 1+1 1+1

Dragonpacts:
    Friend of Wind and Rain:
    Slot SLAs
    3rd Endure Elements 3/day, Wind Wall 1/day
    4th Endure Elements 3/day, Wind Wall 2/day
    5th Endure Elements 3/day, Wind Wall 3/day, Fly 1/day
    6th Endure Elements 3/day, Wind Wall 3/day, Fly 2/day
    7th Endure Elements 3/day, Wind Wall 3/day, Fly 3/day, Control Weather 1/day

Tyrant of the Desert Sun:
    Slot SLAs
    3rd Silent Image 3/day, Blur 1/day
    4th Silent Image 3/day, Blur 2/day
    5th Silent Image 3/day, Blur 3/day, Hallucinatory Terrain 1/day
    6th Silent Image 3/day, Blur 3/day, Hallucinatory Terrain 2/day
    7th Silent Image 3/day, Blur 3/day, Hallucinatory Terrain 3/day, Waves of Fatigue 1/day

Invocations Known:
    Least:
    Dragonfire Adept: Draconic Knowledge (@ECL1), See the Unseen (@ECL7) --> Magic Insight (@ECL14)
    Warlock: Beguiling Influence (@ECL2) --> Dark One’s Own Luck (@ECL 7), Baleful Utterance (@ECL 3), Entropic Warding (@ECL5) --> Otherworldly Whispers (@ECL13)
    Lesser:
    Dragonfire Adept: Humanoid Shape (@ECL 12), Voidsense (@ECL 14)
    Warlock: Crawling Eye (@ECL 7), Eldritch Chain (@ECL11), Flee The Scene (@ECL13)
    Greater:
    Warlock: Chilling Tentacles (@ECL 14), Vitriolic Blast (@ECL17), Penetrating Blast (@ECL20)

Spoiler: Build Write-up
    Show

Spoiler: RAWyery, or: Why I Tanked My Elegance Score:
    Show
    You’ve probably heard this one before: An Illumian, Improved Sigil (Krau), Magical Training, Precocious Apprentice, Heighten Spell, and Versatile Spellcaster walk into a bar. Usually this combination is used for some really cheesy early entry tricks, and I’m not going to lie, there’s some of that here. What I’m hoping is my saving grace (for Originality at least, Elegance is a lost cause) is two-fold: that I’m using this combo not to get early spellcasting, but to get double Invocation advancement (the only way I’ve found to do so without lighting 3-4 levels of a spellcasting class on fire), and that I’m using this combo for something slightly novel in that it enables getting high(ish) level spell slots without a caster base class and without a Faustian Pact (this build would look very, very different with a Pact). With that out of the way let’s get into the details.

It begins, as it often does with Magical Training. This feat gives us 0-levels Sorcerer spells, which use our Arcane Spellcasting level. Note that Warlocks have an Arcane Spellcaster level equal to their class levels.

Precocious Apprentice gives a single 2nd-level spell from the school of magic you have access to (in this case Sorcerer from Magical Training). The caster level for this spell is your normal caster level, which defaults to Magical Training, which then defaults to Warlock. When our caster level is high enough to cast this spell normally (CL4, which is at Warlock 4, or ECL5), we lose the spell known but keep the spell slot. Since we now have a natural 2nd-level spell slot, we now get bonus slots, which puts us at two 2nd-level slots. We know 2 0-level spells from Magical Training, which we can prepare Heightened to 2nd level slots to qualify for Eldritch Theurge.

Improved Sigil (Krau) lets us treat up to two spells at any give time as 1 level higher than the its level normally is. If we were doing nothing else, this would allow us to qualify for Pact-Bound Adept (0-level Heightened to 2nd, treated as 3rd), but what we’re really doing is pairing this with Versatile Spellcaster to be able to cast a spell two levels higher than the highest slot we have. Versatile Spellcaster lets us burn our two 2nd level slots to have a 3rd level spell slot which we then use to cast a Heightened 0-level spell, which is treated as a 4th level spell due to Improved Sigil (Krau). Due to this, we can use Extra Slot to have a natural 3rd level slot which, once we have 6 Warlock caster levels, we can naturally cast from, and which we then get a bonus spell slot for from a high Charisma score. Rinse and repeat to get to 5th level slots which we can then use for Dragonpacts. Our other slots can be used to fuel a Runestaff.

And there you have it. We end the game with two effective 7th level Dragonpacts without having any spellcaster levels using only 8 feats (pay no attention to the fact that a Faustian Pact could have gotten us two 7th level slots for no resources and effective 9th level Dragonpacts)

Spoiler: ECL 5:
    Show
    Aleithian starts out as a pretty standard Warlock, with a level of Dragonfire Adept for an additional invocation, and a free prereq feat. Draconic Knowledge from DFA makes us a good knowledge back for these early levels, and scales decently into the later levels, though our limited skill points from each level after the first means we cannot keep up with a dedicated Know It All character. Similarly, our early ranks in social skills and Beguiling Influence makes us a decent party face, the invocation offsetting the lack of skill ranks post level 1, though again, that will lag quickly and indeed we’ll be swapping Beguiling Influence out shortly. Use Magic Device is a class skill for both DFA and Warlock, and with max ranks, a Charisma of 19, and Deceive Item, we can auto-succeed on any wand and some scrolls by Level 5, making us very versatile if we have the cash to spare. Combat-wise, we have Eldritch Blast 3d6 (+1 Spellcaster Level from the Illumian Power Sigil Krau for SLAs makes us count as a Warlock 5 for the purposes of calculating EB damage), and the AoE Breath Weapon at 1d6 if needed. Magical Training, Precocious Apprentice and Heighten Spell have use ready to Qualify for our next levels.

Spoiler: ECL 10:
    Show
    Early Entry tricks let us into Eldritch Theurge a level early, and without a spellcasting class to bog us down, we can apply the dual progression to our two invocation classes. It is during this ECL range that we apply the Xorvintaal Exarch template, which adds a bunch of interesting options, the most pertinent of which is Dragon Wing. The Xorvintaal Exarch template was chosen to be taken after ECL 7 because it is at that point we achieve Lesser Warlock Invocations, letting us pick up Crawling Eye. When out on its own, Crawling Eye uses our statistics and features, but counts as its own creature, meaning you can clasp it in your hands and spend 2 favor tokens to get flight from the Xorvintaal Exarch Dragon Wing ability by yourself. If you feel like quibbling about the ‘clasping hands’ clause of the ability swap out Crawling Eye for Disembodied Hand, which you can unequivocally grasp (this was not chosen because I realized that Disembodied Hand already has a flight speed and your strength, so you theoretically get flight from it if you can carry your own weight. Incidentally I just figured out my Stump Knife EWM build for last round). Crawling Eye also has the benefit of making you a decent scout without having to put any ranks into scouting skills, and paired with See the Unseen makes you decent at the role. Combat-wise at this point we have EB +4d6, Breath Weapon +2d6. To this point our Invocation choices are utility focused, having picked up Crawling Eye, See the Unseen, and swapping Beguiling Influence for Dark One’s Own Luck (which will give us a very nice boost to one of our poor saves). Out of combat utility we have full ranks in two Knowledges, and the ability to make untrained checks in the others with a +9 modifier. Our UMD is still maxed, and at this point we have a modifier of +27 (11 ranks, Charisma 20, Deceive Item, Power Sigil Vaul) which means we auto succeed on scrolls up to 4th level for spontaneous caster only spells.

Spoiler: ECL 15:
    Show
    These five levels are all Eldritch Theurge, which in our case means we end up with Warlock caster level of 12 (13 for SLAs) and DFA caster level of 9 (10 for SLAs), which gets us a number of invocations. In these levels you continue to play like a Warlock, you just have more invocations than you would otherwise. It’s also during this time that we start to build up extra spell slots, allowing us to make use of Runestaves and, consequently, our Eldritch Theurge class abilities (Spellblast and Eldritch Spellweave, which allow the incorporation of spells on EB, and EB onto spells respectively). Eldritch Blast is doing 6d6 damage at this point, and the Breath Weapon is doing 5d6. It’s debatable whether the Sigil Krau +1 caster level increase to SLAs would make our DFA Breath Weapon qualify as 10th level and thus benefit from doubled range, but if you can get away with it great. In these levels our Invocation selction has added a lot of defensive and utility options. In combat, Eldritch Chain will up our damage potential, and Chilling Tentacles gives us some serious battlefield control. Defensively we’ve picked up Flee the Scene as our get out of jail free card, and picked up Voidsense, which allows us to swap out See the Unseen for Magic Insight, which is nice if a little superfluous with Detect Magic at will and lots of cash at this ECL. We’ve also got our hands on Humanoid Shape to be able to basically have all the time Alter Self and all of its goodies. It’s also at this point that we pick up our first Dragonpact, picking Friend of Wind and Rain (Brass) as we’re a more utility focused character and we suffer from some CL losses. Keeping up with UMD, we now have a modifier of +32 (16 ranks, Charisma 21, Deceive Item, Power Sigil Krau), meaning we auto-succeed on scrolls up to 7th level for prepared spellcasters.

Spoiler: ECL 20:
    Show
    The last five levels are all the second SI: Pact-Bound Adept. We apply the spellcasting advancement to Warlock leaving us, sadly, one level short of Dark Invocations (Damn you Xorvintaal Exarch!). We’ve continued to pick up extra spell slots, so that by the time we finish Pact-Bound Adept we can put both of our Dragonpacts in 5th level slots for effective 7th level Dragonpacts. The second Dragonpact chosen was Tyrant of the Desert Sun (Brass), furthing our utility options. Our last few caster level increases from Pact-Bound Adept get us Vitriolic Blast and Penetrating Blast, which help against SR opponents. We can swap Crawling Eye out for literally anything else at this point, since at ECL20 if you don’t have another way to fly you’re doing something wrong. By the time we hit ECL 20 we have Eldritch Blast 7d6 without any caster level boosts or items, a total of 15 invocations of various levels, 20 SLA uses per day from Dragonpacts, and 7 open spellslots for use with Runestaves. On top of that we have a UMD score of 38 with Deceive Item, allowing us to use any and every pre-epic item in the game without fail prior to using any magic or items to boost us. We are a utility machine.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS) – Magical Training (p36)
    Dragon Magic (DrM) – Pact-Bound Adept (p46), Dragonfire Adept (p24), Dragonpacts (p87)
    Races of Destiny (RoD) – Illumian (p51), Improved Sigil (p153)
    Races of the Dragon (RotD) – Versatile Spellcaster (p101)
    Complete Arcane (CAr) – Draconic Heritage (p77), Precocious Apprentice (p181), Extra Slot (p79),
    Monster Manual V (MMV) – Xorvintaal Exarch (p47)

Items not called out are either in the PHB or sub-items of higher level callouts (e.g. Warlock Invocations)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

...and this is your further notice. Let the comments commence.

We do have two people who've already graciously offered to judge. Please refrain from commenting on judge-able aspects of the builds until the official judgements have been made. If you would like to offer up such judgements, please feel free to do so.

While we're waiting, I would like to ask a few questions of the community at large. Feel free to offer your opinions whether you are (or have been) a contestant or a judge or an observer.
    • What do you hope to see as ingredients for future contests? Short PrCs, templates, feat chains, class features, races, spells, items/equipment, skills, miscellany....?
    • Do you prefer to see synergy in fluff or crunch between the selected ingredients?
    • What do you expect/hope for from Junkyard Wars that isn't present in other similar contests (Iron Chef, E6 Appetizer, Villainous Comp., etc.)?
    • What factors influence whether or not you enter a given iteration of a competition?

The turn out for this contest was, obviously, slim. Is it a sign of waning interest in the competition as a whole? A trio of ill-combined ingredients this time around? Another factor entirely? I can't help but think that my choices in setting up this round had most of the influence, and I'd like to improve for future rounds. Any insights and constructive criticisms would be much appreciated.

24. - Top - End - #54

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Macabaret View Post
    • What do you hope to see as ingredients for future contests? Short PrCs, templates, feat chains, class features, races, spells, items/equipment, skills, miscellany....?
    • Do you prefer to see synergy in fluff or crunch between the selected ingredients?
    • What do you expect/hope for from Junkyard Wars that isn't present in other similar contests (Iron Chef, E6 Appetizer, Villainous Comp., etc.)?
    • What factors influence whether or not you enter a given iteration of a competition?

The turn out for this contest was, obviously, slim. Is it a sign of waning interest in the competition as a whole? A trio of ill-combined ingredients this time around? Another factor entirely? I can't help but think that my choices in setting up this round had most of the influence, and I'd like to improve for future rounds. Any insights and constructive criticisms would be much appreciated.
    For me this round was difficult in that there really wasn't much about either of the ingredients that was particularly inspiring, nor was there any real synergy beyond fluff for them. In particular for Xorvintaal Exarch most of the abilities are things that are easily reproduced with items or other class abilities. I had to go out of my way to not reproduce some of them and make the template superfluous. I suspect that the amount of houserulling for this particular set may have been off-putting as well. Rule changes that were needed to accommodate the restriction from Sorcerer as well as carte blanche with creating a Xorvintaal dragon and dragon pacts themselves.

In terms of the general competition, I like seeing the non-ten level PrCs since we don't get them anywhere else. I think incorporating a template/feat chain/spell/race, etc. could be really interesting, but care needs to be taken not to make it limiting in scope, unless that scope is pretty interesting (Requiring Rapidstrike for instance could be interesting in that it forces finding a way to a type that's generally not a PC race, whereas requiring Channeled Rage probably wouldn't as there's only so many different options for a Raging Half-Orc)

Whether or not I enter is largely down to my gut impression of the components when i first read them and whether or not I have an idea from there. I had thoughts about Xorvintaal Exarch that were enough to get me started, though I ended up having to scrap my first attempts and went another way entirely.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

...and this is your further notice. Let the comments commence.

We do have two people who've already graciously offered to judge. Please refrain from commenting on judge-able aspects of the builds until the official judgements have been made. If you would like to offer up such judgements, please feel free to do so.

While we're waiting, I would like to ask a few questions of the community at large. Feel free to offer your opinions whether you are (or have been) a contestant or a judge or an observer.

First of all; I want to thank you Macabaret for leading the Junkyard wars. I love them, and am always wanting to participate in some degree.
    I want to state that I had an idea when this one came out. I thought it was a good idea, and I began to work on it. I then got really busy. I DM two campaigns weekly IRL, and try to DM a PBP here on the boards (sorry again Luccan!). I have a child to take care of, and now have two jobs, which have greatly cut into my time. A few short months ago I had a single job, and no child, so I was a lot more active.
    to answer your questions more directly:

Quote Originally Posted by Macabaret
    What do you hope to see as ingredients for future contests? Short PrCs, templates, feat chains, class features, races, spells, items/equipment, skills, miscellany....?
    I personally build characters as a challenge, and to help hone my skills at it. I seek system mastery. My thing when I DM is, "If you break the game, I can break it harder." this has kept many of my players from attempting to break the game, because it keeps the game civil. It allows people to do what they want to do, within reason. When I DM I will not use DM powers to kill you, and I will not break the rules (too much) when in combat. If you justly slay the creature that I was using to show you that you aren't as powerful as you think, then I do not buff the creature and keep going, I let it die. If I roll a nat 1 vs the [death] spell that the creature was unprepared for (other than massive saves perhaps) then the creature falls dead. However the reverse is not true, if I accidentally make a creature too powerful, I am 100% fine with toning it down. With skewing a roll here or there. With even lowering statistics of the monster (several times players have noticed with AC dropping without an in lore reason).

Junkyard Wars offers me a challenge to create a character without touching something; create something usually thematic. Something that I may not have otherwise thought of. To this day I love Rose from a previous Junkyard Wars, not because of her power, but because she has a story. She was very fun to create, and I think an encounter with her could be incredibly fun.

Do you prefer to see synergy in fluff or crunch between the selected ingredients?
    I do not have a preference, because usually when there is synergy in crunch you can find a synergy in fluff. However sometimes a synergy in crunch without the synergy in fluff creates a story, which means that the character is more alive, and less two dimensional, which is always something to be proud of.

What do you expect/hope for from Junkyard Wars that isn't present in other similar contests (Iron Chef, E6 Appetizer, Villainous Comp., etc.)?
    Stated above a little bit, it offers a unique perspective when creating characters, usually giving them a better story element.

What factors influence whether or not you enter a given iteration of a competition?
    Usually time, followed by theme. Sometimes I can make an entry for one of the competitions in less than an hour and be very excited about it. Sometimes the idea that I get will takes tens of hours to get everything to snap into place. The current JYW seemed to be more of the latter than the former when I began the work, and with all the other things going on I had to drop out. Then the extension happened, and I was even busier than I was when the competition started.

Finally, just a note for anyone that cares, I had to stop working on this post twice, to keep my baby happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I can definitely get my judging in by end of week.
    That said, for me the appeal of JYW has thus far been the idea of an archetypical multiclass build that removes the most obvious method of achieving it. The armored mage, the theurge, the gish... Unfortunately, I think we've cut through most of these already. If we want to keep on that line of thought, we could revisit them with other limitations though; like having to avoid certain weapon/armor proficiencies, or taking ranks in a particular skill.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

First: Apoligies for the delay. Life happened.
    That said:

Dar’esh
    Originality: While you point out yourself that the Mindsight feat was a gimme, I would have had to probably penalize you in power had you not taken it. Well thought out giant builds are rare, and you found interesting uses for iffy classes (warmage and blood magus). 3.5/5
    Power: There are some odd choices and I am not completely sure why you went for them. Is Toughness at lv 15 really going to do anything for you? I have a feeling you went more for flavor than power on this build, and I can respect that, but the small CL catchups you make here and there really aren't enough to get you up to caster snuff. 2/5
    Elegance: So, you admit you had to take the flaw, and decided to take one that actually has an impact. That's far. Still, a penalty applies (though only a .75 because your flaw actually does something). My bigger problem is you taking Draconic Heritage... I just can't find for the life of me where you are qualifying as a 1st level sorcerer. You have some magical powers and warmage levels, but nothing even "as sorcerer" from what I can see (not that sorcerer casting would actually have you qualify, but I could see an argument). I was hoping to find it in your RAW explanations, but no such luck. On the other hand, you have some very flavorful synergies here. Then again, you are getting a familiar very late for my tastes... Difficult, difficult... 2.25/5
    Use of Components: You managed to take pacts that make sense with a patron that actually has a reason to renew your favor tokens. You also included a nice write-up with how you intend to use those tokens (although it seems like you'd have to refresh them quite often for it to be ideal). You dodged sorcerer with a flair, although maybe you veered away from it a little TOO much (but see elegance). 4/5
    TOTAL: 11.75/20

Aleithian
    Originality: I can say in no uncertain terms that I did not expect to see a double-invocation-advancer here. Illumian makes sense for your early entry shenanigans, but taking Extra Slot so you can actually use your pacts is actually quite clever. You made something odd work quite well given the set boundaries. 4/5
    Power: First, the elephant in the room: No mindsight. Although not a strict requirement, the sheer power it adds to your ingredients makes it very odd not to take. The choice to go with invocations over spells is peculiar, but it does put you in a different league for comparison. When put next to other invocation-users, you actually come out quite well - perhaps ahead! I have a bit of issue with Friend of Wind and Rain. You appear to have taken this for flight (good!) while combining it with one of the few base classes that can get flight at-will, and avoiding that option (bad!). You also just don't get to Dark Invocations, but then we all know those are not quite as important as 9ths. 3.5/5
    Elegance: Wow. You said it all quite well yourself; 2 flaws (neither of which appears to impact you much at all), and to achieve what is straight-up an early entry trick. And, even though this sequence of feats technically gives you sorcerer casting, it does not actually give you the sorcerer levels. You do not actually qualify for the Dragon Heritage feat nor do you need it. Double invocation advancement though ET is also iffy, but I suppose strictly RAW legal. 1/5
    Use of Components: Well, you took the components alright, and you finished PBA, if only just at the end of the build. It feels like you wanted to showcase your double invocation advancement more than you did the ingredients, which is a bit of a shame. You also take XE, and the LA at an appropriate time. That said, it does not appear you really use anything it gave you; it is just there to fulfill the requirement. You also skirt uncomfortably close to the forbidden ingredient, but you do it with style.2.5/5
    TOTAL: 11/20

*Ducks for cover for disputes*
    Last edited by weckar; 2018-10-16 at 10:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

(It's my very first dispute as the Chair!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleithian
    First, thank you for judging Wekar!

Two disputes:

First a general dispute for both builds: Dragontouched explicitly let's you count as a Sorcerer for Draconic Feats such as Draconic Heritage.

A note on Mindsight: I didn't take it because I personally don't believe it works in this instance. If it did Dvati would have Mindsight across all of the Planes all the time.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to say that I completely mistook Dragontouched for dragonblooded. My mistake, and I would give both builds a full point in elegance back to correct for that. Of course, that does not change their relative standing.
    I don't think (after another evaluation) that this impacts another part of either build, though. The fact that both took both makes this easy enough to deal with.

I went into this judging after having analyzed mindsight thoroughly myself, and having read the FAQ (it's up to the judge), I really wish it hadn't become a tiebreaker as much as it has.
    That said, I need to view this as if you brought this to me at a table; and honestly I would allow it without question. Is it RAI? Not likely? Is it broken? Absolutely. Is it justified by +2 LA and a feat slot? At my tables, most definitely. And to my strict reading (which I made sure to set in stone for myself before I went in to judge any competitors) it SHOULD work.

So, based on that one, while both point totals go up slightly, it doesn't actually change much.

I hate making mistakes, and even more having to judge by opinion. I wish I could have entered as a judge before entry date just to make this opinion clear.

30. - Top - End - #60

DruidGuy

I'm unsure on why turnout was so slim, perhaps it was to limiting this round for folks. I immediately thought of my idea for this round and the build built itself from there minus the pacts.

The thing i personally like about JYW is that it forces you to generally think outside the box. having 2 feat taxes and a +2 LA this round was stiff, but i think it surprising that both builds took a flaw to make it work.

I almost always look for ways to make the fluffy bits of something work w/ the crunchy bits. I don't think mechanics should outweigh the importance of substance. It'd be interesting to build a comp round out of that entirely, but would require perhaps more work on the chairman as well as the competitors than just looking at numbers as a reason for doing things.

I think there's plenty of things left to do in this comp, it's just that the obvious ones have been done, and things like this round in particular are likely to be the norm going forward, and I also think that is just fine.

as for future rounds, why not have more than 1 forbidden ingredient i.e. a SI that requires auras, but ban Dragon Shaman and Marshall for example. Or an SI that is clearly either caster or melee based but require a certain level of proficiency in the other system. Yes gishes have been done, but forcing a degree of proficiency such as 4th level spells on a war hulk for example makes for some interesting builds.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2018-10-21 at 09:20 AM.
    Show