Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 459
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Ferrin returns to the group and hastily asks: Anyone know where I can get good hearty meal? He turns to the widowed miller and his eyes twinkle. Ma'am, can you cook? he asks flipping another gold coin in his right. I pay, you cook, and we meet your new neighbors. His smile becomes wide.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

    Guro reads the tracks left near and around the stream, Someone has been coming here daily, the same boots come to and from the banks for some time now, maybe over a fortnight or so. They were here not too long ago, he says to himself, inspecting a fresh track. He looks up towards a thick set of bushes where the tracks lead. Did someone see me find the body? he thinks, If someone is hiding nearby, they may escape if I leave to get the others. Setting his mind to it, Guro, axe in one hand, follows the tracks to the bushes to see if there is evidence of someone camping nearby.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    "New neighbors? Hah!" Zilo suddenly bursts out loud, having tried his best to keep his silence and maintain composure while they were talking with those "neighbors".

    Having noticed he let his temper take the better of him, he takes a deep breath, exhailing the air back out sharply, trying to calm himself down and lower his voice. "Sorry, it is just... I am familiar to halfling households. Whatever structures and buildings remain standing? They just seem too small for humans to live in comfortably..." He explains himself. "And, well... The way some of the remains were designed remind me of past halfling households I have seen when I was younger."

    Zilo looks up to the hill, looking visibly concerned. "Something just feels off..."
    Last edited by Detective; 2018-11-05 at 06:40 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    I'm with you there my friend. But we have an easier time if we get on their friendly side. Plus they seem malnourished, as does the boy that is with them, and isn't halfling society all about hospitality? We can't just fall to their level, and beat them down to investigate. If I have learned about anything in my years in Hillsfar it is that not every human condones the abuse of other races. Some work with the Lord, some accept and ignore it, but some work against it. If we can get just ONE carpenter to tell us something peacefully, I am gladly feeding all of them several days. And remember, I am chief inspector Cromwell, and it would be best if you and the turtle would stay a bit out of sight. Speaking of, have you seen Guro?

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Widow Miller was apparently busy in her home waiting for Guro to return, as Ferrin's question is unanswered for a moment or two while the woman re-approaches the window to speak to you. She gives Ferrin a curious look at his question. "Of course I can. I'm living on my own, aren't I? May I ask as to why you need me to do it?"



    As Guro approaches the bush with axe in hand, he hears a subtle shifting in the leaves, and the long, thin blade of a rapier emerges from the bushes, pointing cautiously at his chest. "That's close enough," speaks a soft, feminine voice. "I'm not here to hurt you, but I'm not coming out of cover, understand?" Before Guro can even give an answer, the voice continues. "I am Deriel Rethslane, ranger and warden to the woods of Cormanthor, and your kind are not known to these trees. You are obviously no friend to the Red Plumes, but what business brings you to finding this halfling?" As Guro looks a ltitle closer, he can now see the form of a female elf hiding inside the bushes. She's quite a bit shorter than other elves Guro has seen, especially compared to Olisandra. Her eyes are filled with a steeled determination, and the point of her rapier stays perfectly still.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Ferrin again bows to the woman. As I said, I need you to cook for about ten people, simple stuff but it should be filling and not taste like crap. We want to get some info from the carpenters, and they look very hungry. The small boy is worse off. Too small for his age, he lacks spirit and he looks like his body cannot keep up with his small work injuries. I've seen that countless of times in Hillsfar. How much do you need to shop? He goes over to her and gives her two gold coins. I hope that is enough because there sure as hell isn't any more where that came from. he says with a sad glint in his eyes.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Miras not getting a response from the lady says to Ferin

    "I don't think the people here had anything to do with the burnings, if I had to guess I would say that those red basterds are behind this all, not only driving non humans away from the lands, but also making a profit while doing it, but what would be the reason for such behavior""
    Last edited by Xantin Rahl; 2018-11-06 at 02:12 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

    Guro stops when the rapier flashes out of the bushes, and raises his hands in a placating gesture. Though he doesn't drop his axe, his grip is high on the shaft and he won't be able to bring it to bear quickly if he wants to attack the elf. I am here to help the Tinfellows, though I am afraid something awful has already befell them, he says, looking back at the corpse. But if this one made it here, perhaps others made it even further. He slings his axe and slowly puts his hands down, I am Guro, ranger and warden of the jungles of Chult, though now I have been traveling and exploring your lands. Someone summoned me here to check in on the Tinfellows, fearing the worst. You have been here for some time, from what I can tell. Did you see what happened here?

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Quote Originally Posted by Xantin Rahl View Post
    Miras not getting a response from the lady says to Ferin

    "I don't think the people here had anything to do with the burnings, if I had to guess I would say that those red basterds are behind this all, not only driving non humans away from the lands, but also making a profit while doing it, but what would be the reason for such behavior""
    The reason is greed, my small friend. What you are looking for is a trigger. Maybe some animosities, maybe a change in the mayor's policies, maybe a mere coincidence that aligned perfectly to cover up a crime.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Ophine was silent for a moment.
    "...How did the carpenters know to come here and speak falsehoods? No, it is all planned, little doubt; an expulsion of all non-human from these lands, to exile or death, and the poor encouraged to seek new homes over the ashes."
    The druidess shrugged lightly.
    "The halfings have not been heard of since. I imagine they are now captive or corpse, as there would be little reason to leave them alive to spread word of misdeeds."
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    "For ten?" The widow's eyes grow wide, and even wider when Ferrin pulls out two gold coins. "I-it can be done, but not quickly. I would need at least two of you to help me in the kitchen if you want it done by a proper meal time."


    Deriel nods at Guro from the cover of her bush. She was chewing on her left thumb while listening to Guro, holding the rapier in her right hand. The blade wavers slightly as she lowers it, convinced the Guro isn't going to do her any harm. "The Red Plumes came through here a ten-day ago. Rode and marched up from the road. They rounded up all the halflings and took them into the woods, headed north. I know where they are, and had I the numbers to take on the mercenaries, I would free the Tinfellows myself. If you have allies that you trust, I can lead you to them."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Having heard the group talking about the possibilities behind the people building up the hill- Whether it might have been mere coincidence, indirect involvement, or otherwise, Zilo puts his arms on his waist, unsure of what to make of it.

    "I don't know their motive, and frankly I'll prefer it to be just coincidence. It is just..." Zilo is taking a moment to think of what he wants to say. "Well... It is taking advantage over someone else's grave misfortune. It just doesn't sit that well with me."

    When the widow mentioned she'll need help in the kitchen, he raises his hand. "I can cook, and it won't be the first time I cooked for this many people. I can help" With that, he looks back to the group. "Can anyone figure out where Guro might be? He should have gotten back by now."

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

    Guro's eyes light up, They marched them into the woods? Then they may still be alive! I have allies. I only met them last night, but they are on the same job I am, to find and help the Tinfellows. There are five and me. With you, that is seven. Do you think that will be enough?

    Guro pauses for a moment, Dariel, why have you stayed hidden here? You haven't buried the body, and I don't think you have revealed yourself. Why?

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    I will go "look for him" - he probably chated up some chick syas Miras knowingly
    Last edited by Xantin Rahl; 2018-11-07 at 10:00 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Deriel sighs and looks for a moment to the unfortunate halfling still laying in the stream. "Do not think me cruel, but ... as I have mentioned, I currently have no allies here. If I were to hope to rescue the halflings, I would need to find people who similarly would care to go against the Red Plumes. Those kinds are rarely found this close to Hillsfar. I stayed here with the intention to contact anyone who would go searching for the Tinfellows. A plan which has performed its function, as now it has led me to you." She shifts slightly inside the bush, causing it to rustle. "I do not think whoever is rebuilding the farm now would appreciate an elf stalking nearby, so here I stayed, just out of sight."
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-11-07 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

    Guro thinks for a moment, I did not know it was this bad here. We did run into some Red Plumes on the road but Ferrin was able to bribe them away. Deriel, how should I introduce you? Should I go get the others? Or we could wait with the widow until they return. I think they went to see what the commotion was by the hill.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Deriel answers, "Explain my offer to your allies. Bring them here, if they're willing to accept help. I will wait here until nightfall. If your companions do not agree to my proposal, I will not wait any longer than that."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

    I think they will be thankful for the information and the help Deriel. Wait here and I will explain it to them. Guro goes back to the bank and pours out the contents of the water, this time making sure to fill the bucket upstream from the halfling's corpse. He is surprised to find everyone back in the widow's home and... cooking? Oh, are you making a meal? Here is the bucket of water ma'am, Guro says with a smile, though it looks a little strained. He sets the bucket down where she asks and looks to the others. Well, I do not want to get in the way, he chuckles, pointing at his shell, so I will step outside. Can I speak with you all for a moment?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Guro doesn't want to mention the corpse behind her house in front of the widow.


  19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Ophine followed the turtleman and inclined her head in curiosity.
    "What have you found?"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    I'm good with a knife and i assume Sigrid can help as well. Ferrin nudges the somewhat silent and constantly grim looking mercenary.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

    Guro waits for the others outside. Once everyone is gathered, he begins, I have found something. I am afraid to say that the body of a halfling is lying in a patch of reeds by the stream. He was shot in the back by someone with a crossbow. Also, I met someone. She says she is a ranger of... some land. I forget the name, I don't know where it is but it must be near if she is here. Her name is Deriel. She says the Red Plumes led the Tinfellows away and she knows where. She will lead us there and help get them back. You can all meet her now.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    See - I told you he waschating up some chick - lets go meet her I'm looking forward to it

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Ms. Vigdas doesn't seem to mind Ophine, Miras, and Guro ducking back outside for a moment. She measures up Ferrin and Zilo, and motions for the pair to follow her. She guides you both into a small root cellar, which is suprisingly well stocked for only one person. "Not sure I can do something fancier than a vegetable stew on short notice, but it'll sate anyone who's hungry." She speaks more to herself than either of you as she starts picking vegetables from her assortment and handing them to whoever is closest. "Let's see, potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes ..." She pauses for a moment and turns to you both and asks, "Don't suppose either of you know how to find mushrooms, do you?" She doesn't really wait for an answer, leading you back out to the kitchen and pulling out knives, pots, and an apron for herself. "It's not horrible if he stew doesn't have mushrooms, but it'll taste better with a few." She hands each of you a knife and assigns you to your tasks. "I need the potatoes peeled and cut up, the onions peeled and chopped, and the carrots chopped. Think you can handle that, Mr. Neverfall?" She gestures to a large pot, and instructs Ferrin, "If you could run 'round the back real quick and fill that with water. Not completely, mind you, about to here." She points to the inside of the pot about three-fourths of the way up.

    She leaves the two to their tasks and pokes her head outside to look for the others. "If you want to be helping your friends, I could use a keen pair of eyes for-" She notices, however, that the trio of Ophine, Miras, and Guro are having what seems to be a private conversation, and apologizes before getting back inside. "Don't mind me! Just an old lady who could use some mushrooms, when you're done with your chat."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Despite now knowing his race or Guro himself very long Ferrin realizes there is something Guro hesitates to discuss. He takes the lady inside and helps her. He comes outside once to fill the pot and another time a bit later to look for mushrooms.

    What do you discuss here? he noses in. If nothing major, we can eat with the carpenters in another hour or so, getting a bit of additional info. But you seem to have found something already.

    When Guro repeats the part about the elven ranger, he looks concerned. I don't think she has any reason to sell us out, but I have seen less obvious traps to say the least. I'll follow you at a distance.

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Ophine listened to the tortle, her features flat and grim behind her mask. An ranger, here to lead them to the foe?
    "...I agree: it seems excessively fortuitous that she should be lurking here. What have you told her of us, Guro?"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    As the others have walked with Guro to a more distanced location, Zilo went in to help Mrs.Vigdas in the kitchen. "I'll help her out in the meantime- Don't forget to tell me too afterwards!"

    Taking the kitchen knife in his hands, he'll begin peeling and cutting down the ingredients, having had some experience with such things prior. "If you don't have mushrooms, are there other things you got? It won't be my first time cooking from a limited list of ingredients."


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    So... Am I supposed to roll for cooking? Because Zilo has proficiency in cook's utensils . Not sure what stat goes with such a roll, though.

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

    Well, I told her that we were here to help the Tinfellows. I think she is being honest, but you can decide for yourselves. I don't think she poses a danger to the group. Guro leads the others to meet Deriel.

    Spoiler
    Show
    On a road trip so won't be able to post until later this evening, maybe. Feel free to play out the meeting between the ranger and the group without me. NPC Guro as needed!


  28. - Top - End - #208
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Even if you trust her, she could be pressed into working against us by force. Lead the way, I will follow suit. Ferrin stalks the bushes, trying to keep himself hidden as best as he can. He utters a short prayer to Lady Luck.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[19]
    1 use of my Lucky ability of the result of the roll is below 15 in total: (1d20+7)[26]

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    "I, on the other hand, am looking forward to meeting this elven beauty"

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

    Spoiler: Ferrin
    Show
    Guro's meeting spot with Deriel is across a river. I'll let you decide whether you decide to cross or not, since your stealth check is high enough to hide in the reeds where Guro found the halfling corpse.


    As Guro leads you back to the bush where Deriel had been hiding, the elven woman steps out and looks over those who have accompanied the tortle. She doesn't see Ferrin, and gives Guro a confused look. "You said you had a group of six, and yet there are only three of you. Where are the others?"



    Ms. Vigdas hands Zilo a large knife to chop all the vegetables with. "Hmm ... I might have some old cheese somewhere around here. Let me go look."

    Spoiler: Cooking Check
    Show
    Your choice of Wisdom, Intelligence, or Dexterity +Proficiency.
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-11-13 at 05:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •