New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Smartest thing to do would be to stall him out for 3 rounds while keeping him near the golem (and Complains stays as still as possible) and then grapple on the fourth. Effect wears off, Kore is caught in the Statue's embrace, slit his throat.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Other smart thing would be to position the golem to block if this doesnt work and they are forced to retreat. Have him block the door with the helmet taken by the goblins then tossed aside after they get far enough away that they wont have to worry about it. By the time kore gets by or through it, they will be several rooms away. They can always try again after all, and wear him down bit by bit. Every bit of damage he takes is that much less hp he has to work with, every bit of armor that gets crushed, every weapon that snaps, leaves him that much less capable of doing damage. Complains nearly put his blade through kores face in a berserker rage before they got to the dungeon, that was a level lower and roughly half fiend template stacking ago and kores helm is half gone. If this golem is at all useful in combat, by all rights they have this fight won. Of course I fully expect kore to pull some sort of crazy shenanigans to reverse things.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Other smart thing would be to position the golem to block if this doesnt work and they are forced to retreat. Have him block the door with the helmet taken by the goblins then tossed aside after they get far enough away that they wont have to worry about it. By the time kore gets by or through it, they will be several rooms away. They can always try again after all, and wear him down bit by bit. Every bit of damage he takes is that much less hp he has to work with, every bit of armor that gets crushed, every weapon that snaps, leaves him that much less capable of doing damage. Complains nearly put his blade through kores face in a berserker rage before they got to the dungeon, that was a level lower and roughly half fiend template stacking ago and kores helm is half gone. If this golem is at all useful in combat, by all rights they have this fight won. Of course I fully expect kore to pull some sort of crazy shenanigans to reverse things.
    I also think that narratively it will not be over yet. Still, Kore will soak up some more damage. Bit by bit they are chipping him away - most imporatantly his gear, which gave him ridiculous advantage before.

I really like the way this plays out - Kore is the almost unstoppable menace pushing the protagonists to stay on the run, yet forcing them to use every bit of advantage they can muster from environment, ambushes, teamwork. And every time they might get some good hit in, but it cannot be enough to bring him fully down. It has the tension, leads naturally to a believable ending (instead of run, run, run, sudden win) and allows for many intricate and cinematic action scenes. In a way it is similar to how Terminator movie is built only a bit more flexible and dare I say improved, since Kore can be damaged so the fall is gradual.

Actually I think what worked in Terminator (really unstoppable machine with very special circumstances needed to destroy it), it did not in Predator, since in the latter there was no belivable factor making the protagonist suddenly on par with the alien hunter. The mud trick was a bit too sudden and too effective. But that is just my feeling.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

and Fumbles has the „break stuff stick“ nearly as good as dumping a flock of rust monsters on Kore.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I also think that narratively it will not be over yet. Still, Kore will soak up some more damage. Bit by bit they are chipping him away - most imporatantly his gear, which gave him ridiculous advantage before.

I really like the way this plays out - Kore is the almost unstoppable menace pushing the protagonists to stay on the run, yet forcing them to use every bit of advantage they can muster from environment, ambushes, teamwork. And every time they might get some good hit in, but it cannot be enough to bring him fully down. It has the tension, leads naturally to a believable ending (instead of run, run, run, sudden win) and allows for many intricate and cinematic action scenes. In a way it is similar to how Terminator movie is built only a bit more flexible and dare I say improved, since Kore can be damaged so the fall is gradual.

Actually I think what worked in Terminator (really unstoppable machine with very special circumstances needed to destroy it), it did not in Predator, since in the latter there was no belivable factor making the protagonist suddenly on par with the alien hunter. The mud trick was a bit too sudden and too effective. But that is just my feeling.
    Whats also good is, it isnt hopeless anymore. When we first dealt with kore he was this unstoppable monster who you couldnt hurt, couldnt stop, couldnt even slow down. The first chink in the armor was the trick with the rope through the neck. Up till then nothing was working. Everywhere they attacked, he was protected, they couldnt break through his armor. Then they did the rope trick and it was like "Lets finish him!" "We cant! Lets get out of here before he heals himself, we have really ticked him off now!" Then Forgath faced him down and we finally saw it, "You see? You see? He's not a machine, he's a man dwarf, he's a man dwarf." (Sorry, I love rocky) But yeah, the aura of invulnerability is broken, he is hurt, he is damaged, his gear is destroyed or damaged, he has cast a lot of his spells today and hasnt stopped yet. Your terminator analogy is great, terminator 1. They managed to damage him by blowing up the truck, then reese blew off his legs with a pipe bomb, then finally, sarah finished him off with a hydraulic press. They chopped down this unstoppable killing machine one piece at a time.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

...which is cool and all, but if Idle doesn't quit making that face, it'll stick that way.

(Also, this post will make no sense the moment Ms. Stephens changes her Twitter icon.)
    Last edited by mucat; 2019-06-16 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Stevens -> Stephens (thanks Lissou)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    ...which is cool and all, but if Idle doesn't quit making that face, it'll stick that way.

(Also, this post will make no sense the moment Ms. Stevens changes her Twitter icon.)
    FYI, her last name is spelled Stephens :)

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

Dang, I thought it was an update. I couldn't care less what gender Thunt calls themselves, but good for them if it makes them happy.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gotta be all dramatic all the time I guess. Well chosen new name though, as my reaction is a resounding "..."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

I nothing else this helps put a lot of her various struggles over the years with mental health into perspective. I wish her all the luck.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

My biggest concern with the whole thing is the fact that I'm inevitably going to mistakenly say "he" instead of "she" at some point out of habit and get yelled at on here.

Other than that it's none of my business what gender people consider themselves and if I'm not sleeping with them I don't care.

13. - Top - End - #283

AssassinGuy

can we now say „drama queen“ without insulting anyone else?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    My biggest concern with the whole thing is the fact that I'm inevitably going to mistakenly say "he" instead of "she" at some point out of habit and get yelled at on here..
    You're not going to get yelled at, or even vaguely thought ill of, unless you make it clear that you're doing it on purpose. We all forget sometimes, and use the wrong pronouns for someone simply because we're used to calling them that.

If you're really saying that you expect you'll get jumped on for it, then you're also saying you hold a very low opinion of your fellow Playgrounders.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Barbarian in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-16 at 12:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Banned

If you're really saying that you expect you'll get jumped on for it, then you're also saying you hold a very low opinion of your fellow Playgrounders.
    Considering people on here can't even stay polite when talking about video game characters or which movies they like? Yeah, I don't trust people to stay polite with sensitive issues like gender politics.

Anyway, I sorta agree that this probably won't be the silver bullet for Thunt's issues that she's looking for...but I also feel like it's not our place to make that judgement. I also think this thread is going to get derailed into a really bad place very quickly if we continue to talk about it, despite the fact that I don't think anyone posting has any bad intentions.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

You're not going to get yelled at, or even vaguely thought ill of, unless you make it clear that you're doing it on purpose. We all forget sometimes, and use the wrong pronouns for someone simply because we're used to calling them that.

An argument I once had on here ended with someone calling my workplace to harass me and tell my boss I was a "degenerate homophobe"... because I said making Iceman gay was silly. And if it didn't have anything to do with that argument it was suspiciously timed to say the least. It isn't an unearned low opinion.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    comics have actually been coming out pretty steadily lately, so idk what you're talking about.

last comic came out 10 days ago on the 10th, so okay, i'ts been a bit since that. the one before that was on the 3rd, then the 27th, the 20th, the 30th of April before that to be fair ... honestly, with exception to this one week in particular, it looks like it's been a pretty regular weekly thing every Monday.

given this is the week she announced her transition, it's not surprising that things are a bit different. i wouldn't be surprised if we see a new page this coming Monday though.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-16 at 12:32 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289

Fair point. I'll concede that the output has increased recently, even if this week was skipped here or there. I should have put a little more thought into it before I started complaining. Hopefully, it's a continuing trend.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2019-06-20 at 08:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

stuff
    "I'm real worried about lynch mobs coming after me for an innocent mistake, so let me preempt that by getting super personal with the author in ways that that are definitely way more confrontational and hostile than the innocent mistake I might have made at some point in the future!"

Er...have you tried not letting presumptive indignation guide your actions?

21. - Top - End - #291

I've literally seen internet lynch mobs form for innocent mistakes. I've seen THUNT get attacked for making mistakes. Am I not allowed to gripe about how unreasonable it all is?

Am I not allowed to be critical about this latest issue? I was critical over all the other times Thunt felt the need to air out her personal details that I didn't want to know, but now I'm expected to be her cheerleader? Am I expected to care that she's a girl now? Cause I don't, but I'll make damn sure that I use the proper pronoun because I've seen how bad it can get for those that don't.

Here is a simple fact, I could complain all day about any other post Thunt has made about her various issues, but THIS is the only one you call me out on. I think that's telling.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2019-06-20 at 09:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    An argument I once had on here ended with someone calling my workplace to harass me and tell my boss I was a "degenerate homophobe"... because I said making Iceman gay was silly. And if it didn't have anything to do with that argument it was suspiciously timed to say the least. It isn't an unearned low opinion.
    Sorry to hear that happen to you and wonder how that person got your workplace number too. Since sharing the same forum as someone else shouldn't cause that to occur for an myriad of reasons

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

I've literally seen internet lynch mobs form for innocent mistakes. I've seen THUNT get attacked for making mistakes. Am I not allowed to gripe about how unreasonable it all is?

Am I not allowed to be critical about this latest issue? I was critical over all the other times Thunt felt the need to air out her personal details that I didn't want to know, but now I'm expected to be her cheerleader? Am I expected to care that she's a girl now? Cause I don't, but I'll make damn sure that I use the proper pronoun because I've seen how bad it can get for those that don't.

Here is a simple fact, I could complain all day about any other post Thunt has made about her various issues, but THIS is the only one you call me out on. I think that's telling.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-16 at 12:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294

PirateGuy

"No, we're not going to berate you for making a mistake! We're going to berate you for expressing fear of verbal harassment for making a mistake and insinuate you're a judgemental person!

Now calm down!"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
    "No, we're not going to berate you for making a mistake! We're going to berate you for expressing fear of verbal harassment for making a mistake and insinuate you're a judgemental person!

Now calm down!"
    Well, sure. If this was the level of harassment and beration y'all were worried about, I don't know why you bothered worrying, and you really should calm down.

26. - Top - End - #296

Default Goblins XVIII: Lets Try This Again!

So umm, I have to admit it feels a little weird. Its probably because of the slow update schedule, but the whole "we need to go to hell" thing feels like its fallen by the wayside. I have to do an archive binge just to get a refresher on exactly what the plan is. IS there an actual plan? Or just a random guess of what they think they will have to do? I mean, its likely the Kore Confrontation will take at least a month, and that doesnt include anything else they have to do. Like get out of here, maybe even find forgath and bowst, figure out how to save the plane from horrid demonic evil, etc etc etc.

Discussion of the Goblins Comic. We do it here.

Previous threads:

Goblins Thread 0

Goblins I
    Goblins II
    GoblIIIns
    Goblins IV: Live Free or Die Horribly
    Goblins V: It's Hard-Kore!
    Goblins VI: How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up?
    Goblins VII: I'm TOTALLY Gonna Pee On This Thing!
    Goblins VIII: This Thread Contains An Unexpected Variable
    Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!
    Goblins X: Orcs fall, everybody dies (horribly)
    Goblins XI: There ARE Goblins In This Comic, Right?
    Goblins XII: Your Home for Magical Limb Replacement
    Goblins XIII: Now With Goblins!
    Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission
    Goblins XV: Klik Here
    Goblins XVI: Corrupted to the Kore
    Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Current informations on Axe Of Prissan wielders:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wielders of the Axe of Prissan
    Starting with the most recent

Big Ears - Male Goblin Paladin. One of the protagonists of the story and current wielder of the axe.
    Saral Caine* - Evil Male Half Stone Giant/Half Human. Ally of Dellyn Goblinslayer and minor antagonist in the Brassmoon arc.
    Dri Featherknife - Female Human Rogue/Paladin. She was killed by Goblinslayer and Saral Caine after uncovering their plot to frame the sherrif of Brassmoon for murder.
    Flejj Hillmover - Male Dwarf. He fought Kore twice and survived. His family was not so lucky. He shaved his beard in shame.

----

Felsibeth "Soot" Blackbringer - Young Female Human Paladin. Youngest to ever wield the axe.
    Kelstride Blackbringer - Male Human Paladin. Soot's Father. Former chimney sweep. Killed by a Kobold stampede.
    Drose - Genderless Golem Paladin. Drose passed the Axe to Kelstride Blackbringer to prevent the demon imprisoned within from taking control of his body.
    Eled of the East - "Fat, over confident" Paladin. Was given the axe by Myorg.
    Mryorg* - Evil Male Ogre. Beat (but did not kill) Vilias Red in combat and took the Axe from her. Used it to cause great suffering before eventually giving it to Elad purely to make the demon contained within suffer after coming so close to freedom.
    Vilias Red* - Female Human Rogue. Was friends with Tivoth Fastfoot and took the axe after Tivoth died in battle with the intention of giving it to another Paladin.
    Tivoth Fastfoot - Male Paladin. Encountered Vilias Red looting a corpse and assumed she had murdered the man. Once he realized she was innocent, the two became friends and traveled together.

----

Kevitch Gritland* - Evil Male... formerly... Human maybe... Fighter/Wizard. Horribly mutated by an evil swamp. Killed Eldrock Cloudcry and claimed the axe as his own.
    Eldrock Cloudcry - Known in name only.

-----

Cal - Male Gnome Paladin. Egotistic gambler. Had a powerful, icy magic effect.
    Jelbin Crae - Male Human Paladin. Gave Cal the Axe willingly. Nothing else is known.

*Confirmed non-Paladin

Individual Magic Effects (IME's)
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the more frequent sources of confusion is what people are talking about when we're referring to IME's. Here is the comic's explaination of what they are. And now you know.

Shield of Wonder Effects List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shield of Wonder page 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 5
    Shield of Wonder page 6
    Shield of Wonder page 7
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 8
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 9
    Spoiler
    Show

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-07-01 at 10:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Lets Try This Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    IS there an actual plan? Or just a random guess of what they think they will have to do?
    No actual plan, as they have no means of carrying it out at present.

BE has taken it upon himself that HE has to be the one to take the Axe as deep into Hell as possible before destroying it. And he's ... level six now? Maybe?
    He needs to be epic-level to survive that delve. So their only 'plan', right now, is to level up and get the feats / spells they need to not only get there, but survive.

And if they have allies in that ... well, incentive to find Forgath and help him level up as well. He IS a cleric, after all, and they need all the Clerical aid they can get.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

If this is to be the new Goblins thread, I suppose we should have links to the comic and other such useful info. I can't properly quote it from the previous thread, and I'm far too lazy to put things together manually, so here's a link to the last thread's info post. Hopefully a mod or maybe Traab can get the info into the first post here.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Hopefully Kore is defeated for good before he has a chance in killing anyone else. But wouldn't be surprised if he has at least one more trick up his sleeves like whoever kills him will die as well or something.

30. - Top - End - #300

Daemon

I just read newspost. Apparently Thunt is now transgender.
    He's now a woman. Didn't he have a wife?
    Ok I may sound uneducated, I'm from western Europe, where one being transgender is pretty much a taboo... But from many questions I have the biggest one: What kind of a name is Ellipsis?