New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Lets Try This Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Well, so much for MM grappling Kore and throwing him off a bridge...
    In soviet dungeon, Kore grapples and throw you off a bridge!

Yes, the flea demon and Ears talked about them. They were paladins who fought a great battle in Greyhill, in Hell.
    Ah thanks. So really seems like Kore will end up picking up the cursed axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    So really seems like Kore will end up picking up the cursed axe.
    Boy, there's a whole lot of paladin-centric stuff in the mix for that not to happen. Unless it is a deliberate fake-out, I suspect something along those lines is where this will go.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kore speculation

Spoiler
    Show
    If the axe was made by Kore, and Kore is a paladin, and Kore absorbs souls, and Kore keeps questing for the axe, and the axe is broken by bad deeds*, and Kore is a Paladin that makes bad deeds, then I suspect that Kore was meant to be the original wielder of the axe; he absorbs the souls of those he kills, so he is a more filling meal than just any other paladin, and his bad deeds would have been a decent measure of how many people he had killed.

Kore could stay a paladin because he's acting under an epic geas/quest spell (although I am quite ignorant when it comes to this stuff).

*the staff breaks magical bindings, but I have trouble believing that a demon would really trap itself hoping that someday someone with the right item will be so ill-advised to use it on the axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #364
    Colossus in the Playground

This is starting to remind me of Girl Genius where Agatha accidentally woke up the original storm king in paris. He was this overwhelmingly powerful being at the start, then as the hits started landing on him, he started falling apart all while denying that it was possible and how he would destroy them all and no pathetic tricks would save them blah blah blah.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

I’ve got to say ‘I cannot die’ sounds a lot more convincing than usual coming from the mouth of a thousand-year old warrior with a bing honking hole in his head that doesn’t even slow him down.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

The whole "I can't die" thing does make it seem more likely to me that he'll actually die here. It's still bad writing if he does though...it's just that it's bad writing that the author knows about and is pointing out.

Is that better or worse?

7. - Top - End - #367

If he throws the golem, does he throw the commanding goblin, too?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #368
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The whole "I can't die" thing does make it seem more likely to me that he'll actually die here. It's still bad writing if he does though...it's just that it's bad writing that the author knows about and is pointing out.

Is that better or worse?
    10 golds that Kore is not going to die in this room.

In this dungeon... Maybe. But we might not see that before a few years :D
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

... maybe I'm misremembering, but:
    Wasn't there talk about "the other prison"?
    Didn't it contain the opposite to what is held in the axe?

...would that mean Kore is the opposite => he needs to wash himself in evil stuff otherwise the "light" gets out?

His current state: he's bursting with light (see his head wound).

But I may be wrong.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    ... maybe I'm misremembering, but:
    Wasn't there talk about "the other prison"?
    Didn't it contain the opposite to what is held in the axe?

...would that mean Kore is the opposite => he needs to wash himself in evil stuff otherwise the "light" gets out?

His current state: he's bursting with light (see his head wound).

But I may be wrong.
    There’s a Hammer of Prissan that holds some archangel according to the flea demon.

Edit: Also I just got the Prissan/prison thing. Erk.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-07-11 at 03:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There’s a Hammer of Prissan that holds some archangel according to the flea demon.

Edit: Also I just got the Prissan/prison thing. Erk.
    The bit about the Axe in the OP of the last thread indicates theres a third one which holds "the damned". Gosh, that evocative imagery sounds familiar.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Beginning of the conversation with the flea demon (and confirmation of Kore being the maker of the axe).
    There are three Prissans. The Hammer holds good, the axe holds the Sacred (who is evil) and the third holds the damned who are anyone's guess at this point.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

thought we got to see it, but i guess not. according to the maze of many alt list:

Reality #207 [do not appear? (unknown)][twitter 10 Aug 2011]
    Minmax is an anti-paladin who hunts Big Ears (also an anti-pally) who weilds the Hammer Of Jale. A powerful weapon that holds a trapped angel who wants to break free & save the realm. The hammer must be used for evil to keep the angel trapped inside.
    maybe the same hammer, but different universe and different name? or perhaps something entirely different.

kinda got the feeling that Kore himself was the first prissan. not sure where that idea come from though.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-07-11 at 06:29 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374

Some fun from the realities page.

Female dwarves do grow beards, but not in the same way that males do. Female beards are located at the bottom of the chin (they're not neck-beards) and don't grow very long. They're incredibly downy and considered by all to be the softest, most feminine hair any humanoid can grow. Most non-dwarves who are lucky enough to run a hand through a female dwarf's beard, quickly abandon any thoughts of the beard being purely masculine. Like the males of their species, the female dwarven beard takes much longer than the human beard to grow out, averaging one quarter inch per year. Female, dwarven beard hair is highly sought after and fetches a high price, especially among non-dwarves. There are legends of human men buying female, dwarven beard hair in a market and finding it to be so soft and beautiful, that they'd fall in love with the dwarven lady without ever meeting her. Also, some dwarven clans consider it perfectly legal for a female to kill a male for uttering that all too common "Gives me something to hang onto" line.
    Reality #088

Minmax and Forgath are the same as in normal universe. Difference is the goblins are "much much much much much much" tougher. Goblins can tear through solid steel with their bare claws (hands are twice the normal size, other appearance is the same), are very fast and almost impossible to damage. Same injuries, just more extreme damage from them (helm and eye). Complains almost took off Minmax's head. Scars are all over from fighting goblins. MM and Forgath have been on the run constantly, universe all about escaping goblins because "they're a'coming." They still have warcamps, but formed from overpopulation as goblins have no predators. Brassmoon not budding metropolis, it's very combat oriented spending all it's resources to stay alive from goblins. Need all their money for city defense and stuff, very little in way of replacement armor. Won't say who owns axe, but demon escaped the axe and goblins destroyed him by ganging up on him. Didn't seek out goblins, stumbled upon them. Would be stupid to seek them out, but they're everywhere. Not a fair universe to play D&D in. Only other creatures because goblins desire it to be so.
    We call him "AFTER".

Seers have apparently found out that he was a sort of undead... thing that belonged to a demon that lived in some dungeon crawl called The Well of Darkness.

They say there's some weird loophole that says that by infecting a demon from another world with his zombie virus, this 'AFTER' guy gained a stupid amount of power. Heightened intelligence, spells... We're talking deity type powers.

I first learned about AFTER's zombie plague in a tavern called The Frosted Claw. Kin (Dellyn's toy snake-girl) was sick. I remember two idiots coming into the tavern and bugging Dellyn to join them to go hunt goblins or something.

Anyways, Kin went zombie and attacked the two idiots. Dellyn and me soon discovered that all of Brassmoon City was being over run.

I barricaded myself into a tower, but Dellyn... Well he never made it.

Eventually, i figured that if infecting someone from another world turned AFTER into some godly thing, then maybe it would work again.

I captured three zombies (who happened to be Kin and the two nearby idiots) and stuck 'em in a caged wagon normally used to transport animals. I made my way to a gungeon crawl I'd heard Kin mention before. Some place called The Maze of Many. Apparently, this dungeon was always filled with people from other dimensions or realites or something.

It's a hell of a long shot, but maybe if i shove these zombies into that maze, they'll infect someone from another world and somehow make it back out. Once they return, maybe they'll start gettin' super powers like AFTER did and then maybe, just maybe they'll decide to help us take this world back. I know, it's a stupid plan, but the whole world is already destroyed. I may as well roll the dice and hope for a critical success.

Anyways, I just managed to shove my three zombies through the magical gate thing. Too bad for me, the noise attracted a huge group of zombies that are now headed this way. Well if they think I'm going to go easy, they don't know Saral Caine.
    Reality #114

in that alternate reality, when MM and Forgath attacked goblin warcamp, drow died the same. Forgath was killed in battle with young and beautiful. Big Ears was killed instead of One Eye. With Forgath dead, Minmax had revelation about goblins not all evil, when One Eye got upset over Big Ears dying. they were drawn together in friendship when they were feeling the same over the loss of their respective best friends. eventually grew into a full blown friendship. Minmax had successfully killed complains and got to poorly locked chest first and that's how he killed complains. There was a lot of animosity at first, but eventually became close friends. They went into Brassmoon together, MM wears "This is a Helmet" piece around his neck. Minmax in this world is not happy, due to what he did and Forgath dying; why he has bags under his eyes. No GAP in this reality. They used cloak to sneak One Eye into Brassmoon. Met GS at his house and fought and killed him. Since Forgath died, no one made MM buy pants.
    114 sounds like a viable story to me.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-07-11 at 07:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: We're re-opening this thread, but move the discussion back to the comic.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #376

AssassinGuy

revolutioary idea: ask Kore what he wants with the axe.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain: We're re-opening this thread, but move the discussion back to the comic.
    As opposed to what? Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but every recent post seems comic-oriented. I have no idea what we're being advised not to discuss.

(EDIT: Ah, I am slow on the uptake...or at least, I have the memory of a goldfish. Looking back a few pages, I do see the reason for the caution. But Peelee's post will probably confuse more people than just me. Maybe it should read "keep the discussion on the comic", since that's where it's recently been?)
    Last edited by mucat; 2019-07-17 at 04:31 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    revolutioary idea: ask Kore what he wants with the axe.
    "Uggh, reasonable adults talking out their differences?"
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

19. - Top - End - #379

Honestly kore is a good candidate for understanding what he has become just before he dies (either because he was already dying and saw clearer near to death or because it triggers the instinct to atone by heroic.)

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    As opposed to what? Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but every recent post seems comic-oriented. I have no idea what we're being advised not to discuss.

(EDIT: Ah, I am slow on the uptake...or at least, I have the memory of a goldfish. Looking back a few pages, I do see the reason for the caution. But Peelee's post will probably confuse more people than just me. Maybe it should read "keep the discussion on the comic", since that's where it's recently been?)
    Two threads were merged. The one that was locked was not discussing the comic. This is probably what the mod message was addressing.

I don't think talking with Kore has ever been a good idea, especially when you're a monster race. He'll deem them evil and kill them, and avoid to listen to their evil words.

21. - Top - End - #381

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I don't think talking with Kore has ever been a good idea, especially when you're a monster race. He'll deem them evil and kill them, and avoid to listen to their evil words.
    unless he want‘s to take the axe to hell.
    * my emphasis

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    unless he want‘s to take the axe to hell.
    "Oh I see, I shall gladly take this axe to hell, sorry for the misunderstanding.

But first I'll destroy you all anyway, evil monsters!"

Even if they can get Kore to talk, eventually all paths in his flowchart lead to "and then slaughter all 'evil'."

Best bet may be to just throw the axe far away and hope that Kore will run after it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Two threads were merged. The one that was locked was not discussing the comic. This is probably what the mod message was addressing.
    It was; I missed that there was already a new thread, or I would have just left the old one locked and not muddied the waters in this one. Feel free to name the next thread "blame it all on Peelee" if y'all want.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

It was; I missed that there was already a new thread, or I would have just left the old one locked and not muddied the waters in this one. Feel free to name the next thread "blame it all on Peelee" if y'all want.
    No worries; it's nothing that needs anyone to blame. Just a bit of momentary confusion. :-)

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, grats on modship.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Colossus in the Playground

And here I was starting up a new thread so you wouldnt have to scan through multiple pages of forum rule violations to clean it up. That will teach ME to try and save a mod some time! HRUMPH!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #387
    Banned

It's gonna be hard to remember that thread title for 37 pages, but I'll try.

28. - Top - End - #388

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    "Oh I see, I shall gladly take this axe to hell, sorry for the misunderstanding.

But first I'll destroy you all anyway, evil monsters!"

Even if they can get Kore to talk, eventually all paths in his flowchart lead to "and then slaughter all 'evil'."

Best bet may be to just throw the axe far away and hope that Kore will run after it.
    exept Big Ears a paladin, it can‘t harm him.
    * my emphasis

29. - Top - End - #389

Ears felt great evil coming from the axe. I wouldn't be too surprised if Kore simply smashed it against a wall.

30. - Top - End - #390

AssassinGuy

Ears felt great evil coming from the axe. I wouldn't be too surprised if Kore simply smashed it against a wall.
    the way Kore is running around his Detect Evil is not working.
    * my emphasis