New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    the way Kore is running around his Detect Evil is not working.
    Maybe part of the curse makes it so that everyone, even other paladins, ping as evil.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's gonna be hard to remember that thread title for 37 pages, but I'll try.
    I mean, now we kinda have to.

Goblins XVIII2: Blame it all on Peelee

Works.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Lets Try This Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post

About the planned timetable, I have no idea. Assuming 2 pages a month, that would mean 72 to 96 pages. Assuming 3 pages a month, 108 to 144.
    So I took a look. More or less 100 pages ago, we were here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04132016-2 (2016)

150 pages ago: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01112014 (2014)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Lets Try This Again!

So I took a look. More or less 100 pages ago, we were here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04132016-2 (2016)
    I think that is where I lost a big chunk of my interest in the story.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

New Comic is out by the way

nothing too spectacular, just Thaco's section of the combat. We'll be seeing Big Ears soon!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    New Comic is out by the way

nothing too spectacular, just Thaco's section of the combat. We'll be seeing Big Ears soon!
    Here's a thought. Leave him. The golem's got a deathgrip on Kore's arm. He's not going anywhere. You can do all sorts of things while he's trapped there... tickle his toes, beat on his chest, light a fire under him... the possibilities are endless!

Also, something that just occurred to me, in light of the Axe of Prison Prissan: Core/Kore. What do you think Kore is the core of?

Also, if we peel the rest of K(C)ore's armor off him, do you think he'll be completely covered in "small faces"? What would happen if Fumbles hit him with his staff of "Breaking Bindings"? Would all those trapped souls be freed? Something else to add to the list of "Things to Do While Kore is Held by the Golem".
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-07-23 at 10:36 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground

I honestly expect something to go wrong soon, but things are looking grim for kore. His gear is busted, his body is getting busted, and he is about to face a monk, 2 barbarians, a healer, and a paladin in combat even without the statue. As for leaving him like that, his other arm is free, he could probably yank his axe out of his trapped hand the way it is and cut his way free in fairly short order. Get him into a back to front bearhug where both arms are pinned to his side and he is off the ground and you might be able to maintain the grip long enough for a coup de grace. Or go for a more complicated ground pin where you use the golems legs to lock kores in an awkward position while having his arms trapped and he would be pretty much immobilized and face down on the ground.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #398

Kore could still have some ace up his sleeve. He had those talk-to-undead pills, maybe he has some atomic button.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #399

Kore could still have some ace up his sleeve. He had those talk-to-undead pills, maybe he has some atomic button.
    What kind of tricks could a high level paladin pull in a scenario like this? Both class skills and spells and random items a guy his suggested level might have access to. I remember in order of the stick their cleric used some sort of holy word spell that banished their succubus, and deafened everyone else in the radius, causing all sorts of damage and havoc, do paladins have access to something along those lines? Lets work under the assumption that good and evil dont matter for his spells as he is clearly broken somehow. If there are aoe spells he could use to utterly wreck someone of the right alignment, he might break it out soon.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    What kind of tricks could a high level paladin pull in a scenario like this? Both class skills and spells and random items a guy his suggested level might have access to. I remember in order of the stick their cleric used some sort of holy word spell that banished their succubus, and deafened everyone else in the radius, causing all sorts of damage and havoc, do paladins have access to something along those lines? Lets work under the assumption that good and evil dont matter for his spells as he is clearly broken somehow. If there are aoe spells he could use to utterly wreck someone of the right alignment, he might break it out soon.
    As far as magic goes, paladins are mostly towards the "beat people with metal objects" end of the spectrum. They do have some spells, but a significant chunk of those are mostly just buffs to make them better at said beating.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #401

Unless he took a variant, he could summon his mount. I was mostly referring to items, however. Something that throws a fireball centred on himself, for example. Or an Efreeti bottle. The GAP is still fairly low level.

Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    Vorpal is useless in this fight, at least in theory: he cannot use the golem, his level is unknown, and he probably doesn't have any class ability of worth. We know that he can heal, and, in theory, he can foresee and direct like Y&B did. However, what if Kore is a prison, like the Axe was? What if it counts as a magical binding, and a touch of Vorpal's cane can undo it?

12. - Top - End - #402

Unless he took a variant, he could summon his mount. I was mostly referring to items, however. Something that throws a fireball centred on himself, for example. Or an Efreeti bottle. The GAP is still fairly low level.

Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    Vorpal is useless in this fight, at least in theory: he cannot use the golem, his level is unknown, and he probably doesn't have any class ability of worth. We know that he can heal, and, in theory, he can foresee and direct like Y&B did. However, what if Kore is a prison, like the Axe was? What if it counts as a magical binding, and a touch of Vorpal's cane can undo it?
    I think vorpal counts as a cleric, iirc young and beautiful was fighting cleric spell to cleric spell against forgath. As to what level he is, its hard to say. Maybe the teller ceremony goosed his levels? As for Kore, yeah I know there are objects he could use as well, I just figured we should start with the obvious and ask what a level 15ish paladin could do then branch out to what could someone of that level be expected to have access to in items. And yeah he could easily have a wand/scroll of x on him or something of the sort.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

he is about to face a monk, 2 barbarians, a healer, and a paladin in combat even without the statue. .
    just one barbarian. Minmax and Parchment managed to reach the top of the glass stairs before they gave out, dropping the goblins.

as for Fumbles, "Tellers only have access to low-level cleric spells" according to one source. this is for most tellers though, Fumbles IS an exception due to how many spirits he was able to absorb. i'd bet money that he only has an NPC class at best, or maybe some kind of template.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

There's nasty stuff even in low level cleric spells. Blindness/Deafness is only 2nd level and Animate Dead is 3rd level after all. Necromancer Fumbles when?

Hahaha, Holy Word is 7th level and paladins cap at 4th level ones.

In the basic book, paladins get several defensive buffs (Death Ward, Protection From X, Magic Circle against X, Resist Energy) besides the already mentioned "hit harder buffs" plus some anti-chaos/evil stuff. Plus healing, including HP and stuff like poison. Also got several group buffs, but for somebody like Kore...

Splatbooks in 3.5 did considerably expand the paladin spell list, which included some nukes like Holy Storm that makes rain that damages evil creatures besides some penalties and Righteous Aura that makes you explode when you die, healing good creatures and damaging everybody else nearby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

15. - Top - End - #405

I'd like to say that Kore got a divine variant of still spell, since he could cast remove paralysis on himself without moving, but it's more likely that it just was some handwaving.

16. - Top - End - #406

AssassinGuy

I'd like to say that Kore got a divine variant of still spell, since he could cast remove paralysis on himself without moving, but it's more likely that it just was some handwaving.
    I consider it bad spell design, though technically it has to be still and silent spell to be used by a paralysed character.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

just remembered, fights in Goblins always end with some form of permanent change as a result. that may have already happened with Kore's helmet being wrecked up, but i wonder if the Goblins will see any kind of change. Maybe BigEars will loose one of his titular ears.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408

Im more curious about names. Will he eventually change so much that he becomes a demon, personality and all? Will he look like a full demon but still be himself?

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

probably not in this fight. He seems to only change when in direct contact with something demonic like the axe, or when he's recovering from a grievous wound like his chopped-off hand followed by an explosion. but that too may be because it was cut off by the axe.

so long as his OTHER arm doesn't get chopped off, and he stays away from the axe, he should be fine.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-07-25 at 12:58 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

New page is up

Spoiler
    Show

the ears. they are a problem.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    New page is up

Spoiler
    Show

the ears. they are a problem.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both very obvious in hindsight and completnly unexpected. Well done.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

22. - Top - End - #412

I honestly didnt expect that. I expected
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kore to break loose and get to ears before he could activate it. Starting off a deadly dance of trying to contain kore and reactivate the golem in such a way that it would be useful still.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Prediction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    now that he has thoroughly messed up the golem they will slap the helmet on him to confuse/distract him while they get away.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Prediction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    now that he has thoroughly messed up the golem they will slap the helmet on him to confuse/distract him while they get away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good one! Four rounds is quite a lot of time for running.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #415

Personally, I was expecting the statue to let Kore immediately go as soon as Ears put the helmet on, since his hands would have then been around his head.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Banned

I'm not expecting Ears to get his ear chopped off and then be able to wear the helmet.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Prediction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the helm is a tight fit for a goblin that is about the size of a five year old human child, how is it supposed to fit on the head of a dwarf?
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    If the helm is a tight fit for a goblin that is about the size of a five year old human child, how is it supposed to fit on the head of a dwarf?
    I misread and thought the idea was to slap it on the golem

Existential crisis ensues: golem suddenly self-conscious... about his barenaked backside!
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Do they have to try to fit the helmet over Kore's entire head? There's a chunk to the side they could leave off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #420

NecromancerGuy

Theory: Kore will get the helmet on, and then through the golem’s eyes see himself for the first time in centuries. Horrified at what he has become, he destroys himself.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.