New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Hmm, not too sure about Oblivion has worked here.

Also, wasn't expecting an update that early.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2020-02-24 at 03:55 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Hmm, not too sure about Oblivion has worked here.
    Only Minmax has any effect on the sword's motion at all, making it simultaneously an unstoppable force and an immovable object. To question what it can and can't do is to start on the road to madness.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Minmax... what the heck is that technique? Why would you try and pry the sword from between your legs? Its pointlessly uncomfortable and youre balanced on one leg trying to pull this thing.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Minmax... what the heck is that technique? Why would you try and pry the sword from between your legs? Its pointlessly uncomfortable and youre balanced on one leg trying to pull this thing.
    Looked to me like he was pushing down on it with his whole body weight.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Last panel, Kin gets kind of a different appearance. No strong opinion except that it is different. MM's expression is goofy, but that seems wholly deliberate and appropriate.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Last panel, Kin gets kind of a different appearance. No strong opinion except that it is different. MM's expression is goofy, but that seems wholly deliberate and appropriate.
    Its because she suddenly has visible lips.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its because she suddenly has visible lips.
    So it is. Also, I thought her nose looked different and maybe a little bit more anime-esque eyes, but backscrolling and finding this strip suggests this is how she normally draws Kin full-on side-view (as opposed to 'kind of from the side, but her facial features are all still contained by her face').
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2020-02-24 at 01:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

So, did someone steal Minmax's sword?

9. - Top - End - #969
    Colossus in the Playground

Almost certainly, it's Minmax from the future picking it up.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Whenever Minmax lets go of Oblivion, we get to see the next time he's grabbing the sword. In this case, the foreshadowing is only the color of his armor. Sometimes you can hear what's being said at the time, too. This is the kind of thing I really like because it requires a lot of planning, it wouldn't work as well in a comic that's thought of as the author goes.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Colossus in the Playground

Too be fair, like 90% of the time the only thing it shows us is his armor color at the time. I think the only time it was setup for something else was the time when they were going to try to sneak past those demo looking doppleganger monsters and minmax went to draw his sword only for "OMGASSYFACEIHATEYOU!" to come screaming out of the hole alerting the monsters.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Too be fair, like 90% of the time the only thing it shows us is his armor color at the time. I think the only time it was setup for something else was the time when they were going to try to sneak past those demo looking doppleganger monsters and minmax went to draw his sword only for "OMGASSYFACEIHATEYOU!" to come screaming out of the hole alerting the monsters.
    True, but even that much could be a pain to keep consistent, it would be easy to just have the same armor color or something. I don't know, I guess most of the time someone would just improvise stuff but knowing it's not improvised is nice, because it makes me actually wonder when the next time he draws his sword is, rather than not care about it because I know it doesn't correspond to anything yet. YMMV of course.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ettin in the Playground

So the next time he grabs for it will be after he asks a question about the Jade Teapot I assume.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    So the next time he grabs for it will be after he asks a question about the Jade Teapot I assume.
    Maybe. But it also seem to be the same shade of blue as the ice wall. I figured he was going to make a comment along the lines of "What's this blue stuff?"

15. - Top - End - #975
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but where did Kin get seven levels of sorcerer?
    awesome blues brothers avatar by strategos

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cisturn View Post
    I'm sorry if this was asked before, but where did Kin get seven levels of sorcerer?
    Presumably from adventuring with the other Kins, since she could do it for as long as needed? I don't remember either though.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Firbolg in the Playground

I personally am not a big fan of MM's armour or the IME effects. They are cool details in theory, but they get way too much space for what they do. IME in particular has only been useful in a couple of cases, to show Kore's immense power on the bridge and present Chief's situation, and to give Kin a hint on what was going on. The armour has yet to do anything, and it's been eight years.

Oblivious' abilities by comparison have consistently been a pretty important plot point. It was the key to destroying the little universe in the Maze, and so keeping it out of reach was essential. MM was challenged exactly because of that. And then there was the time he alerted the monsters. Or when MM couldn't pass his almighty sword to Forgath.

EDIT: Will Kin explain why she returned from the Maze at a different time than MM?
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-02-25 at 12:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #978

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I personally am not a big fan of MM's armour or the IME effects. They are cool details in theory, but they get way too much space for what they do. IME in particular has only been useful in a couple of cases, to show Kore's immense power on the bridge and present Chief's situation, and to give Kin a hint on what was going on. The armour has yet to do anything, and it's been eight years.
    The color changing aspect of the armor is just fun. I don't think it really needs to serve as a plot point. Probably was added as more of a personal challenge for the author than anything else.

But the IME has had an effect in the game. Both for the reasons you've mentioned. And it was fairly instrumental in helping Kin outwit Kore. Then there was that Door Golem puzzle that tripped up the heroes for a bit.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

Will Kin explain why she returned from the Maze at a different time than MM?
    He teleported out with the teapot. She physically took the teapot to her village, then went to seek him. They probably left at the same time, from the outside's point of view.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Banned

You know ... she should have cast wall of ice in front of the little mouths in the wall. Meh, hindsight.

What white-gloved hand is that, taking the sword? Should I know that? oO

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    You know ... she should have cast wall of ice in front of the little mouths in the wall. Meh, hindsight.
    She probably couldn't. the room she was in was magically silent.

What white-gloved hand is that, taking the sword? Should I know that? oO
    That's Minmax from the future. Any time he drops his sword, him from the future instantly picks it up again.

Theoretically, they could use Oblivious and Minmax's armor as a sort of code to get information from the future. For example if they're looking at a long hallway they think might be trapped, they could decide that "Red" means danger, and "Green" means safe. Then Minmax drops his sword, and they look at the colour of the glove picking it up. If it's Red, then they know to keep an eye out for any traps. If it's green, they know they can walk through the hall without worry. Then when they reach the end of the hall, Minmax can say the word "Green" and retreive his sword to alert his past self. saying "Red" if combat begins or a trap triggers before retrieving his sword to alert his past self.

This would open up the possibility of changing the future though, which may lead to a parodox and problems. Plus i doubt Minmax is smart enough to go through with that even if someone did come up with that plan. He'd probably shout "Orange!" when combat began or something.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #982
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Theoretically, they could use Oblivious and Minmax's armor as a sort of code to get information from the future. For example if they're looking at a long hallway they think might be trapped, they could decide that "Red" means danger, and "Green" means safe. Then Minmax drops his sword, and they look at the colour of the glove picking it up. If it's Red, then they know to keep an eye out for any traps. If it's green, they know they can walk through the hall without worry. Then when they reach the end of the hall, Minmax can say the word "Green" and retreive his sword to alert his past self. saying "Red" if combat begins or a trap triggers before retrieving his sword to alert his past self.

This would open up the possibility of changing the future though, which may lead to a parodox and problems. Plus i doubt Minmax is smart enough to go through with that even if someone did come up with that plan. He'd probably shout "Orange!" when combat began or something.
    Also, the more he understands that the sword can work that way, the less likely it is that the sword will continue to work that way.

23. - Top - End - #983

How does it take too much space?

MM's armor is actually one of the things that proves the solid writing of the author. Not an easy thing to deal with. Besides, I often note that MM spoke about a color because the armor changed. Really, I love that.

I have no clue what you might have against IME, really.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

IME in particular has only been useful in a couple of cases, to show Kore's immense power on the bridge and present Chief's situation, and to give Kin a hint on what was going on.
    The IMEs have been serving a meta purpose of showing off all of the casters' power levels for a while now, and the more advanced they get, the more they show off the characters in a way that's somehow simultaneously flashy and subtle.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Firbolg in the Playground

Solid writing is different from careful adherence to one minute detail that doesn't change anything about the story. It is remarkable, but it drains mental resources for very little gain. And I get bored very fast when seeing the same thing happen over and over and over, with zero effects. For me, it's like a caption saying "this armour changes colour to match the one last spoken by its wearer", every single time. Seriously, I got it! I swear, I'll remember it when/if it will ever be relevant.

Concerning the IMEs, they take up room because they force a certain framing to show them off (and, again, they represent a lot of effort with little payback). In theory, I enjoy watching them grow, but, in practice, there are years of time between iterations, which kinda kills the tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

"Definitely not green!"
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

27. - Top - End - #987
    Banned

She probably couldn't. the room she was in was magically silent.
    Oh right. Also known as 'the entire point of the trap!'

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    "Definitely not green!"
    Oh man, Minmax would so do that.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

IME's are just a great way to show off character traits and symbolism in general really. I've been playing with added a modified version of them to various different games I run. Especially in 5e so I could give players a chance to make their characters feel more unique.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    IME's are just a great way to show off character traits and symbolism in general really. I've been playing with added a modified version of them to various different games I run. Especially in 5e so I could give players a chance to make their characters feel more unique.
    You also might be interested in the 2E Dark Sun Dragon Kings book. It has sensory effects for spellcasting. Like, every time a particular mage casts a spell, there's a blue flash (more noticeable the higher the spell level), the sound of a stream, and the scent of cinnamon.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season